• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp |OT| I want you inside me on July 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWolf

Binged the show in one day, which is surprisingly doable since there are only 8 episodes of half an hour each. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Not as much as the movie, but it still had it's great moments.

My favorite moments:

H. Jon Benjamin as the can saying how by the end of the camp everybody will look 15 years younger.

And

The Gene - Falcon fight, the switcharoo and the 'twist'. 'But why did you kill Jim Stansel and Greg?' 'Yeah, you're right. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.'

What can I say? I love self-referential humor.

majik13

Watching this reminded me to check out They Came Together on Amazon Instant.

Best decision I have ever made. It's so Wain

Did the same thing. I love Wain/Showalter stuff, and I'm sad I skipped over this one until now.

I'm tempted to watch Stella again too. I love that show.

My other favorite movie of his is Wanderlust(the most similar movie of his to Wet Hot imo), enjoyed it more than They Came Together. Not sure its on Netflix. And co-written by Ken Marino (Victor Pulak). Also check out Burning Love. Really funny.

LogicStep

I watched the first episode (haven't seen the movie) and I was not feeling it at all. Had a chuckle here and there but it was mostly boring. idk...

DeathyBoy

Banned
The Gene - Falcon fight, the switcharoo and the 'twist'. 'But why did you kill Jim Stansel and Greg?' 'Yeah, you're right. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.'

I like to think they wrote themselves into a corner there, and all of the dialogue is stuff the writers said to each other in abject frustration at how implausible it was... then they just put it into the script as is.

moggio

Banned
I enjoyed the series much more than the film (which was all over the place and mostly not funny).

And Janeane Garofalo's new face was distracting.

Frog-fu

Banned
General question: if there is a second season, would you guys prefer it if they remain in the past or jump to the future?

I wonder how much this is being watched. Only seen the first episode but it was glorious.

Please Netflix, reunite The State for a season.

General question: if there is a second season, would you guys prefer it if they remain in the past or jump to the future?

I still would really love to see them do a reunion in honor of their agreement at the end of the first movie, but maybe that'd be better as another movie.

Whatever comes next, I'll happily watch it and anything else David Wain and the rest of these guys touch, pretty much forever

Hopfrog

Thoroughly enjoyed it as a big fan of the movie.

The Gene v. the Falcon fight might be the highlight - that or the chase after Victor. Either way Meloni continues to be the MVP.
The best moment from the movie and the series remains, for me, Rudd's double-take from the movie - deserves to be in the Hall of Fame of movie double-takes.

doubletake.gif

maxcriden

Watched most of the first two eps and I have to say as someone who has enjoyed the movie multiple times, I really loathed it and found it wholly unfunny. It's like a serialized improv show w/o the laughs.

Just finished tonight. Boy, it was funny. Michael Cera character was hilarious. So was the play. Those were some great episodes.

I still would really love to see them do a reunion in honor of their agreement at the end of the first movie, but maybe that'd be better as another movie.

Whatever comes next, I'll happily watch it and anything else David Wain and the rest of these guys touch, pretty much forever

Post credits movie scene, by the way...

As someone who'd never seen either the movie or the show until yesterday, I'm really liking both. The movie brought me back to a time when comedies weren't just back to back snark and people just had fun with it, reminded me of Naked Gun with an R rating. The series so far to the end of ep 3 I've found to be just as good, especially when as a prequel it adds a whole new color to the characters as we saw them in the movie.

It kinda boggles the mind people in this thread who seem to worship the movie and loathe the show, even the first episode. The tone and comedic pacing seems virtually identical in both, IMHO, and I'd argue some of the laughs in the show are even better than the movie so far. I only WISH the Arrested Development revival had been as consistent (though even that wasn't as monumentally horrific as some might have you believe)

Asbel

This is sad. I just watched Hurricane of Fun and realized the cook was the guy from SVU. I had no idea without him being mad all the time. He's great in this and should do more comedy roles and not that angry shit.

rexor0717

I watched some of the show, then some of the movie until I was done with both. I really enjoyed it that way. Overall it was pretty funny, incredibly weird, and short enough to not be dragged out.

Frog-fu

Banned
This is sad. I just watched Hurricane of Fun and realized the cook was the guy from SVU. I had no idea without him being mad all the time. He's great in this and should do more comedy roles and not that angry shit.

Christopher Meloni has got chops. He had his own show after SVU called Surviving Jack and it was hilarious, but it was unfortunately cancelled. Meloni definitely excels at comedic roles though and I wish he'd do more. He also had a great episode on Scrubs years back and was every bit of Dr Cox's/John C McGinley's equal.

Voidguts

Watched most of the first two eps and I have to say as someone who has enjoyed the movie multiple times, I really loathed it and found it wholly unfunny. It's like a serialized improv show w/o the laughs.

get outta here, alien - the series, especially how they kept
adding accessories to the new, gross coop was hilarious

eFKWocb.gif

I'd love to dip my balls into that.
tag me in when you're done!

jax

Banned
Probably messed up by watching the show before the movie, cause literally nothing made sense and I didn't really like it.

Akahige

Watched the entire series over the past few days, very funny, I'd put it right on the same level as the movie. Shocked that after a 15 year gap the the writing has the exact same feel as the movie, maybe there's a slightly broader appeal this time around.

Some of the smaller new roles felt a little underused, the cinematography is lacking the that organic look that the movie had, & the spontaneous crazy moments are missing but those are minor grievances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom