• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later |OT| On Netflix Aug. 4, but waaay after 9:30

The exchange between Amy Poehler and the drama instructor is damn amazing. Chris Pine is pretty good throughout as well.

I actually enjoyed this more than first day. I hated the red headed bully kid in that one.

I loved this as much as First Day. I hope we get another season, but with the cast more involved.

Kinda felt like a Arrested Development S4 situation.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I guess whoever has those rights wants more money than Netflix is willing to pay. Sucks because I wanted to watch it again before starting this.

The simple solution? Have the book that Coop wrote be the basis for them to shoot a film about the camp. Have the actors play themselves playing the characters they originally played.

Can go full meta with them saying they couldn't get Bradley Cooper or Paul Rudd.

So season 3 is the making of Wet Hot America Summer The Movie. With Susie directing. And Sam Worthington as Coop.

"You know George, chopping wood is an art form. Hit the log in the right spot, it cracks open like dry human bones on a hot summer day, wooooooo!!!!!"-Reagan

I haven't laughed that hard in a while guys.

DeathyBoy

Banned
"You know George, chopping wood is an art form. Hit the log in the right spot, it cracks open like dry human bones on a hot summer day, wooooooo!!!!!"-Reagan

I haven't laughed that hard in a while guys.

Their entire dynamic is brilliant. Cold open with Regan beating the shit out of Bush and that freeze frame kills me...

phanphare

Banned
The exchange between Amy Poehler and the drama instructor is damn amazing. Chris Pine is pretty good throughout as well.

I actually enjoyed this more than first day. I hated the red headed bully kid in that one.

I loved that kid mostly because I've had kids exactly like that as campers in the past

and I've also had a camper try and run away

Their entire dynamic is brilliant. Cold open with Regan beating the shit out of Bush and that freeze frame kills me...

take the shit George.....

On episode 5. It's all right. Waaaay too much of the can of vegetables though. Unfunny joke that's just being run into the ground now.

I'm enjoying it but I've only had maybe two good laughs and a few chuckles when the previous two entries were way funnier imo

aravuus

Watched it last week. It was... I dunno, alright. Lots of jokes that just didn't land, some made me laugh pretty hard.

I remember enjoying First Day of the Camp a lot more. Maybe I'll rewatch it, in fact.

Keym

Holy shit, episode 6 is amazing. Only one episode left, but already liking it tons more than season 1.

Poppy

On episode 5. It's all right. Waaaay too much of the can of vegetables though. Unfunny joke that's just being run into the ground now.

I'm enjoying it but I've only had maybe two good laughs and a few chuckles when the previous two entries were way funnier imo
you have to admit mitch in the diner was a pretty funny scene

jobrro

When I rewatched The First Day I found this was one of the kids from The Mick (with the bird from Always Sunny) so I found that interesting.

I liked Ten Years* Later, made my GF watch the movie and now progressing through The First Day (with Japanese dub). Ten Days Later is probably my least favorite, though I found some of the phone it in moments (like obvious schedule conflicts) pretty funny and still found it good overall. Would not be opposed to another series in 2 or so years, 5 Years Later, The Second Day, 50 Years Later, whatever is fine by me.

Edit : Mistyped

Sanjuro

I loved how manic and disjointed this became towards the end.

The David Hyde Pierce sitting in front of his Emmys and breaking character was so fucking funny.

I watched them consecutively and didn't stop laughing

Yeah, this part was outstanding.

Rookhelm

I'm only 3 episodes in, but what's the point of retconning 2 characters into the story that have so much prominence?

The new guy (I forget his name) is framed front in center in like every shot.

If there's a spoiler reason for this, I guess don't tell me, but it's kind of an odd decision. It is giving JJ a larger story, so maybe that's all it is

Sanjuro

I'm only 3 episodes in, but what's the point of retconning 2 characters into the story that have so much prominence?

The new guy (I forget his name) is framed front in center in like every shot.

If there's a spoiler reason for this, I guess don't tell me, but it's kind of an odd decision. It is giving JJ a larger story, so maybe that's all it is

I think the point is nothing matters.

aBarreras

FIFTY FIFTY
When I rewatched The First Day I found this was one of the kids from The Mick (with the bird from Always Sunny) so I found that interesting.

I liked Ten Days Later, made my GF watch the movie and now progressing through The First Day (with Japanese dub). Ten Days Later is probably my least favorite, though I found some of the phone it in moments (like obvious schedule conflicts) pretty funny and still found it good overall. Would not be opposed to another series in 2 or so years, 5 Years Later, The Second Day, 50 Years Later, whatever is fine by me.

this is already ten year later haha

Honestly it was a jumbled mess. I liked parts of it.

My only real laugh out loud was Michael Ian Black at the end looking around for Renata?

Sanjuro

It being a jumbled mess is intentional. I'm not sure anyone had a clear idea of what they were supposed to be doing.

Rookhelm

I kinda wish I hadn't seen someone postITT that it's obvious they filmed it disjointedly because the actors weren't together and then edited, else I might not have noticed it.

4 episodes in that's all I could think about, and could easily see the cuts and camera angles.

In fact, I think that might be why they introduced those 2 new characters...so that they could be put in any scene with other actors, a "glue" to the scheduling conflicts in a way, to sorta tie the cast together and help hide the disjointed nature.

Or, I'm thinking about it too hard, but it's not a bad solution I suppose.

TheYanger

Excellent!

ehh...that post is pretty bad. 10YL is just as built upon first day as it is on the movie. Like, yeah it takes places chronologically after the movie, but release order is still the only actual order that makes sense to view OR to consider them in in any way. Half of the jokes in the new series wouldn't even make sense without first day.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just finished first day of camp to clear the way for 10 years later. I'm an idiot:

It took me until maybe halfway through to realise it was a prequel. I was really confused why Bradley Cooper and Leslie were an item.

I thought the cook and the Falcon were both Jon Hamm. There is a scene with both of them in the same room and I was like 'wow this is really well done'.

Mariolee

I just finished it and loved it. Was laughing the whole way through. Really did not think people would be this disappointed, but looking back I can see why. It definitely felt disjointed with many cast members getting way too big to be filmed with the other cast members. Still, the humor was on point and I'm fine if this is truly the end.

HotHamBoy

The last episode is so good. It's a great payoff.

I would rank the series:

Movie
First Day
10 Years Later

Which isn't to say this wasn't hilarious, but the movie and the first series have more freshness going in.

giphy.gif

That kid is hilarious.

I would say that the lack of subplots involving kid campers was part of what felt off about this season.

kmfdmpig

I enjoyed it. If I were ranking them I'd have them all fairly close as I don't think there's much deviation in quality from the movie to first day to 10 years later. They all have a fairly similar tone and sensibility.

Rootbeer

Banned
Movie
First Day
10 Years Later
After finishing it, I agree with you. Though I think First Day is pretty close to the movie overall. Way fewer laugh out loud moments in 10 Years Later. And just overall a less interesting overall story.

I think it's at it's best when it's focusing on camp life and activities, creates more opportunities for comedic commentary on it which I thought was the initial point. 10 Years Later had way less of that. Some of the new plotlines like the Presidents stuff just wasn't doing it for me. Oh and way too much focus on the Baby subplot too.

Are they moving forward with another 'season'? Cause I kind of hope they don't... unless they do a much better job of writing it next time.

HotHamBoy

After finishing it, I agree with you. Though I think First Day is pretty close to the movie overall. Way fewer laugh out loud moments in 10 Years Later. And just overall a less interesting overall story.

I think it's at it's best when it's focusing on camp life and activities, creates more opportunities for comedic commentary on it which I thought was the initial point. 10 Years Later had way less of that. Some of the new plotlines like the Presidents stuff just wasn't doing it for me. Oh and way too much focus on the Baby subplot too.

Are they moving forward with another 'season'? Cause I kind of hope they don't... unless they do a much better job of writing it next time.

The interview with David Wain on CBB left me feeling like this might be it but who really knows, I definitely didn't see this season coming.

I think I enjoyed this more than first day of camp. Last episode was stupid though, not many laugh.

Low key best joke was

"Hey I didn't know you played the mouth organ"

"Yeah well my uncle was in prison"

Laughed like a lunatic.

jobrro

FIFTY FIFTY

this is already ten year later haha

Yeah mistyped in that post I knew it was 10 Years Later, but I would be fine with them jumping around the timeline. They already went back in time with First Day so anything is possible.

Late, but I finally got around to watching this. Some all time great jokes in it, but I agree it's the weaker of the three entries. George H.W. Bush was a real highlight. I also thought they did a really good job at covering up the scheduling issues. Did Paul Rudd even share a single shot with any of the other actors?

I'm super bummed, though. Finishing it really made me wanna watch the original, but Netflix doesn't have it anymore.

Top Bottom