• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AACS Mandate: PS3 no longer support HD through component| Existing Units Not Affected

Raistlin

The Analog sunset dates are out of their hands ... so I get the BD getting gimped.

Doing it for gaming makes zero sense however. Then again they require HDCP for gaming so who knows.

_dementia said:
They removed SACD playback though. As niche as that format was, it's still a shame.
I agree it's a shame, but it's understandable. That actually does cost money.

Grinchy

Banned
jmdajr said:
I just feel bad for those who will buy monster cables...
Me too. My sister bought a $4000 Bravia a couple years ago, and she was telling me about how she bought the best HDMI cable they had for $90. It was a six foot HDMI cable for 90 freakin dollars. She's not stupid, she just doesn't follow closely enough to know that HDMI cables are cheap.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
This is actually a serious problem if you want to capture HD videos. HDMI is no go unless the capture equipment complies with the HDCP thing. You need Component if you want to grab HD vids from the retail PS3. Only the debug PS3 is HDCP free so you can grab via HDMI with that.

Erasus

BocoDragon said:
There's DRM called "HDCP" over HDMI cables... it won't let your device record.

Hackers better get to work!

Oh right, forgot about that. That totoally sucks. Is it just to stop people from recording movies via the blu-ray player? Everyone just uses a PC for that anyway. Dont think its gonna be possible to hack that out in a closed system like that.
Why do they do this? Its easy as hell to sprit off the DRM off a blu-ray and rip it anyway. Why are they even trying??

Raistlin

TTP said:
This is actually a serious problem if you want to capture HD videos. HDMI is no go unless the capture equipment complies with the DHCP thing. You need Component if you want to grab HD vids from the retail PS3. Only the debug PS3 is DHCP free so you can grab via HDMI with that.
You can strip off HDCP pretty inexpensively. Like the cost of a game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Lopson said:
They are going with the industry, like sheep.

They're not doing it for kicks, but because of the "Analog Sunset." I agree it sucks. I bet they make more money selling their proprietary component cables than the off chance someone buys a playstation branded HDMI cable. It's strange that they would disable the game output in HD, though.

jmdajr said:
yup, what have they improved besides adding bitsream hd audio?

not a damn thing.
controlling the XMB via HDMI sync.

meh, I feel like I've been 'getting away' with using my PS2 cable all these years.
I'll chip a few bux to newegg for a chord (if I ever get a third PS3)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Raistlin said:
Is that so? I suppose people recording game video can just do that...

n0n44m

there's this thing called HD Fury which I used with my ps3 and a Viewsonic 20" 1680*1050 monitor which didn't have HDMI ... it basically emulates the HDCP handshake then outputs it through a VGA cable

cost me like $100 but still cheaper than a new monitor/tv ;) and quality is great

antonz

Sony is one of the founders of the AACS mandating the shift. They played a part in this decsion just as much as the other founders.

Grinchy

Banned
Duxxy3 said:
The PS3 may be the first system to get worse over time - the 60GB model is still by far and away the best version.
Especially if your home doesn't have a heater.

Lopson

Neo Member
Raistlin said:
Uhm, how? The only device that I know of is the HDFury, and those things cost quite a lot.

EDIT: It's because of stuff like this and Blu-Ray regions that I'm really looking forward to the day homebrew arrives to PS3's with OFW 3.60 and up.

Huh, not a problem for this gen, as I've got an older ps3 to record on and component cables ready for my 360, but it makes me wonder about the nature of recording next gen. New consoles will most likely be HDMI only, which makes the possibility of direct capture...difficult. Eh, I'm sure machinima'll come through on something, it is their livelihood anyway.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
BannedEpisode said:
Its a shame HDMI cables cant be purchased for for about a dollar online.

Jesus, no 1 is claiming Hurr Durr HDMI = $$$$

It's that some gamers still game through component. They have TV's shockingly without HDMI inputs, I know right? they live in the fucking stone age...HDMI has been universal for so looooong /sarcasm

My old TV before I upgraded and my aunts TV were Sony XBR 60" & 70" (2005 editions) rear projection TV's whose output was 720p/1080i, no HDMI support...Sony back then must have thought HDMI wasn't going to catch on or thought putting in those inputs would cost to much

Raistlin

jmdajr said:
I think those hd fury's are like over a hundred bucks no?
Not if you shop around, also there are other alternatives.

Either way, my point is it's not a difficult situation to get around for those that require video recording for pro usage.

Snapshot King said:
Huh, not a problem for this gen, as I've got an older ps3 to record on and component cables ready for my 360, but it makes me wonder about the nature of recording next gen. New consoles will most likely be HDMI only, which makes the possibility of direct capture...difficult. Eh, I'm sure machinima'll come through on something, it is their livelihood anyway.

Nah, you are cutting off a big part of your audience by going HDMI. Remember, video games are still put in childrens rooms. A lot of people still run in SD. Maybe this is a big reason why the WiiU won't play movies as they can avoid unnecessary bullshit like this and cutting off potential customers.

Lopson said:
Dear Sony,

Are you stupid?

Sincerely yours,
A PS3 user that converts Component signal to VGA to play games on a 1080p VGA-only Computer Monitor.

They are going with the industry, like sheep. They want to kill analogue for good. I will not support that bullcrap. You know why they want to kill it? Just so they can control the flow of the signal coming out of your digital media player. Disgusting.
I don't want to be rude, but can you explain why you chose a 1080p monitor without digital input? It doesn't make any sense to me.

BocoDragon

Hopefully some company releases a capture device that emulates the HDCP handshake.

Emitan

brotkasten said:
I don't want to be rude, but can you explain why you chose a 1080p monitor without digital input?
Because he most likely bought it years ago.

BocoDragon said:
Hopefully some company releases a capture device that emulates the HDCP handshake.
I will definitely buy one.

Red

_dementia said:
How does that help folks with older, non-HDMI HDTVs?
I'm not trying to defend Sony here. They've been literally removing features instead of adding them since the PS3's launch. It Only Does A Little Bit Less and Less As Time Goes On.

But for most people who care about HD content, I imagine this is all but a nonissue.

BocoDragon

OldJadedGamer said:
Nah, you are cutting off a big part of your audience by going HDMI. Remember, video games are still put in childrens rooms. A lot of people still run in SD. Maybe this is a big reason why the WiiU won't play movies as they can avoid unnecessary bullshit like this and cutting off potential customers.
It will still run composite, S-video and component in standard definition.

Wouldn't be a problem if they included an HDMI cable, it's just as ridiculous as Blu-Ray players not including them. An HD device should come with HD cables for fucks sake.

AndyD

aka andydumi
OldJadedGamer said:

It will still be able to output in SD with the included RCA cables. On the WiiU, you may have a point.

OldJadedGamer said:

Dude, I'm talking about recording my own footage for Machinima. Im set, so my concern isn't kids or what have you, it's will I be able to record more footage 5 years down the line. Seeing projects like HDfury posted on this page make me feel better.

jmdajr

I have a pretty cool a/v receiver that lets me send the same video signal to a separate room simultaneously. Pretty useful! You know how it works... USING HD COMPONENT VIDEO!

I tell you that shit is very useful! I would hate to replace my ps3 if it didn't have HD component video.

BocoDragon

bloodforge said:
Wouldn't be a problem if they included an HDMI cable, it's just as ridiculous as Blu-Ray players not including them. An HD device should come with HD cables for fucks sake.
Best Buy and Monster Cable disagree. :p

DiscoJer

BannedEpisode said:
Its a shame HDMI cables cant be purchased for for about a dollar online.

Yes, but amazingly enough, not everyone shops online. Even some people who are otherwise smart shoppers.

And when people make a big purchase for a new gizmo, they don't want to wait a few days for a cable to use the gizmo to arrive in the mail.

And Sony sells their HDMI cable for $39.99. Though Gamestop generously discounts it to only $29.99

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-hdmi-cable-65-ft-sony/91909

That's like $25 of pure profit (I guess split between the two...)

Crunched said:
I'm not trying to defend Sony here. They've been literally removing features instead of adding them since the PS3's launch. It Only Does A Little Bit Less and Less As Time Goes On.

But for most people who care about HD content, I imagine this is all but a nonissue.
What about people who care about HD content, but also like recording it?

Sony's not allowed 1080p over component on movies since day 1, and on games for quite a while. That was shitty enough, but if they cut 720p as well, I'll never buy a cross-platform game on PS3 again.

The PS3's signal is HDCP locked through HDMI (yes, even games, God knows why), so I use component so that I can capture - every console I own is hooked up with dual output so I can capture if something funny happens.

If they have to comply with Blu-Ray standards for movies, so be it. I understand - capturing a movie is copying a movie, and that's piracy. Capturing footage of a game, though, is not. It's free advertising.

jmdajr

DiscoJer said:
Yes, but amazingly enough, not everyone shops online. Even some people who are otherwise smart shoppers.

And when people make a big purchase for a new gizmo, they don't want to wait a few days for a cable to use the gizmo to arrive in the mail.

And Sony sells their HDMI cable for $39.99. Though Gamestop generously discounts it to only $29.99

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-hdmi-cable-65-ft-sony/91909

That's like $25 of pure profit (I guess split between the two...)

It's pretty cool how the ps2 component cables work with the ps3 as well. Guess they will be useless now.

Top Bottom