• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Paul just turned on my XBox one

Degen

IhCuF5b.jpg

abrack08

This.

Have you people never heard "cut on" before when referring to turning something on?

Yes. Apparently lots of people. I'm 24 and have lived in Texas my whole life and I've never heard anyone use that phrase before (real life or on the internet). The original title legitimately confused me the first time I read it. "Cut on" doesn't make sense, and it's not like "cut it out".

Northern California, have never heard this phrase in my life, internet or otherwise.

But that's a hilarious story.
"Cut the light on for me" is a very common use of the term. But while we're on slang, that "cool story bro" stuff makes no sense to us, so we're even I guess.

Yeah, even if you don't know what cut on means you should still be able to figure out what the title is saying. I think people are just using this as an excuse to complain about a phrase they haven't heard of and call it stupid

Anyways, funny story OP. that's why if I'm going to get an Xbone itl be the $399 kinect less one. That sounds annoying.

Yeah, even if you don't know what cut on means you should still be able to figure out what the title is saying. I think people are just using this as an excuse to complain about a phrase they haven't heard of and call it stupid

true, when reading or listening to someone from another country mispronounce or misspell words I am usually able to comprehend what they are trying to say people are just being ignorant. Our brains automatically comprehend what one is trying to say from the context we read something in or how we hear someone trying to say something.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
true, when reading or listening to someone from another country mispronounce or misspell words I am usually able to comprehend what they are trying to say people are just being ignorant. Our brains automatically comprehend what one is trying to say from the context we read something in or how we hear someone trying to say something.

I understood what he meant and I am sure others did as well, we were just questioning his use of the term "cut on." It isn't very hard to understand where we are coming from.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Some of those reactions were hilarious if they weren't staged.

Do you understand every slang term ever used anywhere on the planet?

It's literally nowhere a hard term to understand, even if its your first time hearing it you should atleast get the gist of it.

Chobel

Real classy there. Calling people ignorant because they didn't understand something that doesn't exist in most English dictionaries.

It's literally nowhere a hard term to understand, even if its your first time hearing it you should atleast get the gist of it.

"This guy cut on my xbox" means, to practically anybody who isn't familiar with a specific slang term, "this guy was using a sharp object like a knife and physically cutting into my xbox."

I don't understand why you think everybody should be familiar with specific phrases not widely used.

Rubius

Ya cap hats, like knitted beanies in U.S. are not called touques. Sorry if I confused you but i've been down to the US with touques on a number of times and i've heard it called a 'hat' a 'cap' a 'beanie'... never a touque.

Americans are weird. And it's a tuque, not a touque. Touque sound like took. Which is weird.

I thought Kinect was supposed to learn each owner's voice over the weeks and months it was used.

Watchdog was supposed to be a lot of things too. Only dreams now.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
"This guy cut on my xbox" means, to practically anybody who isn't familiar with a specific slang term, "this guy was using a sharp object like a knife and physically cutting into my xbox."

I don't understand why you think everybody should be familiar with specific phrases not widely used.

because what you say it means makes no sense in the context, so you should maybe think a second or two what could be the real meaning.

ScribbleD

Some of you are straight up remedial as fuck; not that hard to figure out what "cut on" means via context. Some of you are truly special.

That's not even the most confusing thing about the reactions to this thread. It's the fact that the OP explained what he was talking about in the first post. People read the title, didn't bother to read the single line first post, and proceeded to go "WTF DOES THAT MEAN?"

Sorry if it's harsh but it's true. Instead of engaging in the discussion about what transpired, many people would rather be obtuse on purpose for what I can only assume are some personal lulz, for what purpose? I refuse to believe that no one couldn't figure out what the OP was saying once they read the actual thread. Doesn't even need to go that far just reading the thread title should have clued anyone in. But instead we have people going "huehuehue what iz 'cut on' bro?! the fucxorz!? That maxors no since! you can't cut something on!". Like it really? Why act dense on purpose? And to what end? I'm not even from America and I figured out what he meant before I even finished reading the damn thread title.

Seriously people it wasn't latin.

because what you say it means makes no sense in the context, so you should maybe think a second or two what could be the real meaning.

Assuming the text in the OP was the same before the edit (outside of the title) as it is now, then yes, context clues should give away it's meaning. Or make people assume it was simply a typo.

Jomjom

Banned
If Aaron Paul turned on your Xbone with his voice, why did you rush to get the controller to turn it off? Couldn't you just have used your voice to turn it off?

KevinRo

I'm surpised no one mentioned this as a trojan to take over your house/appliances in the future.

Get a bunch of utilities that have voice activation in them and then suddenly at once activate them all through some sort of mass broadcasting device.

I died laughing at this for some reason

The Xbox One seems filter out most of the audio that comes from the system itself, including voice commands. I just played the long version of this commercial through the YouTube app, and none of the voice commands did anything with my Xbox. Run your TV through your Xbox One and it might solve the issue.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
How can any of ya'll not understand what "cut on" means?

Because it makes no sense.
There's been plenty of unfamiliar slang that made sense immediately, but "cut on" is just stupid. As someone said earlier, it's like saying "falling up".

No one would say that here, but at least it makes sense.

LOL

I guess most of you haven't heard "cut the check" either.
It doesn't mean literally cut a check.

edit: or something being "a cut above" something else

or "cutting through" a parking lot, room, etc.

These are unrelated even though they use the word 'cut'. Another difference is that they actually work.
And it's "cut a check". Anyone who gets their pay check and pay stub on one perforated sheet should immediately grasp where it came from.

Because it makes no sense.
There's been plenty of unfamiliar slang that made sense immediately, but "cut on" is just stupid. As someone said earlier, it's like saying "falling up".

No one would say that here, but at least it makes sense.
Does cut the check make sense?

How about, someone's skills being "a cut above" someone else's?

Cutting through a parking lot?

It's only like falling up if you try to literally make sense out of it, which, idk why you would do that with slang.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

It's only like falling up if you try to literally make sense out of it, which, idk why you would do that with slang.

I was already starting to respond to this in an edit before you post this.
Yes, they all make sense. 'Cutting a check' refers to physically removing a check from a larger sheet, which many (most?) people have personal experience with to this day.
I always assumed that 'a cut above' came from different cuts of meat being better than others. Turns out it's about bread, but exactly the same idea.

These things make perfect sense. Your take on this is basically like Miracles by Insane Clown Posse.

I always thought voice commands not being properly keyed to the logged in user were a bad idea...

In all of those senses, I've always thought of the cut as a divison. You trace a cut (division) through the parking lot. You tear (cut) the cheque. A cut above means a better cut of meat.

But I live in western Canada so I wouldn't know, eh?

Top Bottom