• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Paul just turned on my XBox one

Can we cut the malarkey and allow this thread to die. Sorry they didn't care to understand nor did they care to read a few sentences from what you was trying to say when you clearly explained in your post what you was trying to say. Some people would just much rather antagonize then to even try to understand. Ok its different it doesn't sound right its not proper to you stone the man to death because where he is from people use words differently then you do in 2014!

These are unrelated even though they use the word 'cut'. Another difference is that they actually work.
And it's "cut a check". Anyone who gets their pay check and pay stub on one perforated sheet should immediately grasp where it came from.
How is it unrelated? People are freaking out because he used the word cut to mean "on", since "on" is not usually something you attribute to the word cut.

cut the check, or cut a check (which either work, there is no "right one"), is pretty much the same thing. You're using the word cut to mean write, which if taken literally makes no sense.

That last sentence suggests that everyone has had a "check cut" to them, which is obviously not true, so I'm not sure why you even said that. Just because cutting a check is a more widely known phrase, doesn't give it any more sense or make it any more right to use.

Man, this is way off topic lol

edit:

I was already starting to respond to this in an edit before you post this.
Yes, they all make sense. 'Cutting a check' refers to physically removing a check from a larger sheet, which many (most?) people have personal experience with to this day.
I always assumed that 'a cut above' came from different cuts of meat being better than others. Turns out it's about bread, but exactly the same idea.

These things make perfect sense. Your take on this is basically like Miracles by Insane Clown Posse.
Yes, you can literally make sense out of those things, because they are not really "slang". That's not the point though. Cut the check means to write a check, not cut it from a larger sheet.

Instead of talking about how a commercial that's advertising the new, kinectless Xbox One, which has an actor ironically utilizing the kinect the entire time, turned on a viewers Xbox through that amazing voice recognition, GAF decides it's a good time to talk about slang.

Thisisneogaf.gif

demolitio

Wasn't this brought up a bit before launch before being reassured that Kinect can differentiate between voices making this unlikely? I remember hearing something like that after the one developer joked about using the PA system and Kinect to troll his/her coworkers by messing with their X1's...

I think most of us knew it'd still be present but still funny nonetheless, especially some of the troll videos. :D

MarionCB

People are freaking out because he used the word cut to mean "on", since "on" is not usually something you attribute to the word cut.

That's not the point though. Cut the check means to write a check, not cut it from a larger sheet.

The slang is worse because not only does it not make sense, it is used perfectly well in another sense. As a preposition to indicate where you are cutting. As in, "Don't cut on the linoleum, cut on the cutting board!", or more aggressively, "Say that again, and I'll start cutting on you!"

You're just wrong on the cheque thing. You cut the check from either its stub or the larger sheet of paper (for serious cheque users). It's not referring to writing it. Although personally, I write my checks in blood, and that requires cutting.

I kinda think the ad proves just how tricky stuff like voice commands can be in real life. Sure, in films it always looks cool, because they never have to deal with distracting crap. Having your Xbone turn on because an ad happens to say a keyword just sounds like a damn nuisance. A simple power-on button on your controller not only seems like less work, but also less prone to fuck ups.

*Looks around*

...why the hell is everyone talking about slang?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Instead of talking about how a commercial that's advertising the new, kinectless Xbox One, which has an actor ironically utilizing the kinect the entire time, turned on a viewers Xbox through that amazing voice recognition, GAF decides it's a good time to talk about slang.

Thisisneogaf.gif

Not only that but the xbone in the commercial isn't even on.

Thisisneogaf.gif

the thread about the commercial had lots of talk about how they were showing off Kinect features.

The slang is worse because not only does it not make sense, it is used perfectly well in another sense. As a preposition to indicate where you are cutting. As in, "Don't cut on the linoleum, cut on the cutting board!", or more aggressively, "Say that again, and I'll start cutting on you!"

You're just wrong on the cheque thing. You cut the check from either its stub or the larger sheet of paper (for serious cheque users). It's not referring to writing it. Although personally, I write my checks in blood, and that requires cutting.
Not sure if serious?

The problem is you guys are trying to be way to literal about slang lol. If you wan't to be so literal, cutting a check doesn't mean cutting out a check from a piece of paper, or writing one, it means both. It's the whole process of producing a check for payment.

Why did I even let myself become part of this convo...I think I'll just blame Aaron Paul for cutting on my emotions and leave.

MarionCB

Not sure if serious?

The problem is you guys are trying to be way to literal about slang lol. If you wan't to be so literal, cutting a check doesn't mean cutting out a check from a piece of paper, or writing one, it means both. It's the whole process of producing a check for payment.

Why did I even let myself become part of this convo...I think I'll just blame Aaron Paul for cutting on my emotions and leave.

It's called synecdoche. A part of the process represents the whole. Honestly, I'm not sure if you're serious. We're all used to slang that doesn't make sense; it's just being pointed out that this is one of those times, whereas all of your examples do make sense. *shrug*

Rafterman

Banned
The title was originally "Aaron Paul just cut on my XBox one" which led to some people wondering what it meant. :p

I understood it but I'd never really heard the phrase before.

Even if you've never heard the phrase you'd have to be pretty damn dense to not understand what the Op was saying.

Volcane

Wow, what a load of fuss over someone putting 'cut' on rather than 'turned on'?

It'sfuckingnothing.gif

Quite funny a guy on telly saying 'Xbox On', turned on the Xbox though. Wonder if you were playing Xbox and had a telly on in the background, and he said 'Xbox Off' would it turn off?

Lowmelody

Damn, I grew up in rural Kansas and I have never heard the phrase "cut on" for something, least of all in such a weird contradictory context. ("Cut on the light" for turning on a light? WTF!)

Slang should at least resolve to communicating basic coherent thought.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This has been happening for awhile, especially in CoD: Ghost games where people will rename themselves to something that will trigger the Kinect. Until we have fully working AI that can recognise the pitch of your voice to differentiate you, this will keep happening.

We need better robots in other words.

The people who shit up this thread, jumping all over the OP and turning this whole conversation into a semantics debate, should be ashamed of themselves.

Is that a bad thing? Do you feel your Xbox is cheating on you as it was turned on by someone else OP?
Edit: I returned and I still don't see the problem.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I like the cut of your jib op.

Would be funny if any tv show producers sneak a line like that is some sitcom in the future.

Azull

I have no idea what the fuck is going on in this thread but to get on topic, so OP the ad with aaron paul turned on your xbox? I didn't think this was possible, has anyone else had this happen/can test it?

deafmedal

I'm a service electrician and people constantly tell me about how they "cut on their light switch and..." Not nearly as annoying as "I touched it and got electrooo-cuted". Texas btw.

Nice to know I can now troll the little annoying Jonny's this summer... "Xbox off!" Or even better "Hey, if I say 'Xbox off!' what'll happen?!" right in the middle of an important COD online match...

Wonder if they'd be pissed *wink*

dezzy8

Did it cum too?
leaking2.jpg

dcx4610

My Xbone will always power itself on if a commercial comes on for Xbox One.

It hears "Xbox One" and interrupts it as "Xbox On".

Such a mess of a system. I couldn't believe it when I had a friend over and they just started shouting random commands to it and it worked. I had just assumed that how hard Kinect was being pushed that surely it would have user specific voice recognition.

vgamer1

I have two televisions in my bedroom, one I use primarily for TV/Chromecast, the other gaming.

All the shouts in this thread for running the tv through the xbox one would never work in my situation.

Megasoum

Banned
Nothing beats the time when Don Mattrick said someting on stage during E3 that shutdown thousands of Xbox 360 around the world in the middle of the E3 presser hah...

Top Bottom