• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC/DC's Malcom Young leaves band for medical issues, new album coming this December

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The Guardian said:
AC/DC have announced details of their 17th studio album as well as the permanent departure of their founding guitarist, Malcolm Young.

The new album, Rock or Bust, was produced by Brendan O’Brien and will be released on 1 December. It will be the first AC/DC album not to feature Young, whose role has been taken on the record by his nephew, Stevie.

Earlier this year, the band announced that, owing to illness, Malcolm would be taking a break from his duties. But in the press release for Rock or Bust, the band’s label stated: “Unfortunately, due to the nature of Malcolm’s condition, he will not be returning to the band.”

While I'm happy these guys are touring again, it saddens me deeply I won't see Malcolm play live. While Angus gets all the spotlight, Malcolm is the spirit of AC/DC: killer riffs and great sense of rhythm. I salute you.

Source

Jeff-DSA

I'm not a huge fan of the band, but my AC/DC pinball machine is one of the GOATs. Their music pairs so well with pinball that makes for a crazy good experience.

0tdg1iS.jpg

A shame that Malcolm is in such bad health.

Dicer

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of the band, but my AC/DC pinball machine is one of the GOATs. Their music pairs so well with pinball that makes for a crazy good experience.

0tdg1iS.jpg

A shame that Malcolm is in such bad health.

That's a great lineup of pinball right there, slide a ST-TNG and you'll have a pretty much perfect set...

OT: good news about new music, shitty news about his health :/

Raptomex

One of the greatest rhythym guitarists ever. My favorite band, too. Very sad news. I hope he gets better.

Marvie_3

Banned
Really fucking sad to hear about Malcom. Favorite band ever. It's going to be weird without him but I'm fucking excited about the new album.

Sad news. I have no idea how good a guitarist his nephew is, but it's kind of nice that a family member will replace Malcolm.
Young missed AC/DC's Blow Up Your Video World Tour to address his drinking problem. Young eventually got sober and returned to the band. During his absence, his nephew Stevie replaced him for a while. It was reported that some fans could not tell Malcolm had been replaced, as Stevie bore a striking resemblance to his uncle.

That's a great lineup of pinball right there, slide a ST-TNG and you'll have a pretty much perfect set...

OT: good news about new music, shitty news about his health :/

eh, I've never liked TNG pinball. You need to have a Getaway in there.

Marvie_3

Banned
Poor guy. I really hope AC/DC doesn't turn in to Van Halen when other members of the family start taking over.

One Young is filling in for another Young. They aren't shitting on a long time member of the band to give a family member a job like Van Halen did.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
He's suffering from dementia-related symptoms. Apparently his short-term memory is completely gone. He's basically in hospice care at this point. Definitely a sad thing.

Well damn, that really sucks.

Is Stevie Angus' son? Either way, glad to see the Young family is still the heart of the band.

While Brian and Angus are the stars, Malcolm is definitely my favorite member...he's an amazing rhythm player and while most think it's easy (and it can be), he does a great job. He's also apparently the band's backstage leader, and that's going to be hard to replace.

Marvie_3

Banned
Is Stevie Angus' son? Either way, glad to see the Young family is still the heart of the band.

While Brian and Angus are the stars, Malcolm is definitely my favorite member...he's an amazing rhythm player and while most think it's easy (and it can be), he does a great job. He's also apparently the band's backstage leader, and that's going to be hard to replace.

Nephew.

D.Lo

The man who created the greatest guitar tone of all time.

I tell you folks, it's harder than it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom