• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 123 HD for iOS Finally Getting Release

Hasney

hmm. so it's really a NO for the iOS versions?

If it's your only way to play the games, jump on it. The quality of the games themselves is still there. If you can get the Wii/DS version, get them.

people hate on ios gaming, but its sadly still the only system that allows mirroring without some hacks.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'd love it if the PS4 allowed mirroring of the Vita.

I guess I'm a part of that club! -_- I was just too late for the party and couldn't find the games at a decent price.

Probably my favorite new series of the past decade. And unlike most games, it does age quite well.

Another thing i've noticed, while the character art is a mix bag, the environment art is for the most part really well done, and looks hella nice, which makes pinpointing clues in the environment a lot easier than on the low res ds screen.

pro tip, if you hold your finger on the screen and drag it around like a mouse, the target reticule turns red on items you can interact with.

sorry for dp, but I recall someone asking about mirroring.

Works great for this game and having your 7.1 audio blasting AA music is great <3

people hate on ios gaming, but its sadly still the only system that allows mirroring without some hacks.

Alright, I'm an android guy but thats pretty damn cool.

RedShift

Playing through the first one on my iPhone, and to be honest, it's just Larry's sprites that stink. All of his are pretty awful, but the rest of the characters looks really good mostly. I can see how it would look a bit rubbish blown up on an iPad screen though.

On an unrelated note, I'm getting a lot more replay value from these than I expected. I've played the first one before but I seem to have forgotten most of the actual twists and contradictions.

Bladenic

Playing through the second, on case 2. Not replaying the first game, but this will be my first time through 2 and 3. Personally I think it looks very pretty. I can't play this series in anything other than short bursts, so I'm sure these will last me a while.

shtkn

is it just my imagination, or does the game have better fps in vertical mode than horizontal mode?

edit: whoops flipped horiz and vert in my head.

Started case 3. Is this the one everyone says is the worst?

w/e. it got moe.

moe-laughs.gif

luokyl

It seems to me that the game becomes a lot more bearable in case 5.

The text seems to scroll a bit faster (might be just because there's no more clicking sound as the text appears), and the art is just a lot neater.

Thoughts on this?

Timeless

Yes, but it's not horrible. Two of the characters are tedious though.

edit

It seems to me that the game becomes a lot more bearable in case 5.

The text seems to scroll a bit faster (might be just because there's no more clicking sound as the text appears), and the art is just a lot neater.

Thoughts on this?

Case 5 of PW1 (Ace Attorney) was made around 2005 rather than the rest of the game being made back in 2001.

luokyl

Case 5 of PW1 (Ace Attorney) was made around 2005 rather than the rest of the game being made back in 2001.

I mean specifically for the HD version. The art is much cleaner and generally of a higher quality.

And as for the aforementioned lack of clicking sound when text pops up, I think the sound effects are bugging up on my case 5. OBJECTION and TAKE THAT! is missing. Anyone experienced this.

Sandfox

I was planning on picking up the first game since I have 2 and 3 but I'll just buy the DS version going off the comments in this thread.

Timeless

I mean specifically for the HD version. The art is much cleaner and generally of a higher quality.
It was probably created back in 2005 at higher quality standards than were in place in 2001. Thus when they port it to iOS they're at a better starting place in terms of quality.

heringer

It was probably created back in 2005 at higher quality standards than were in place in 2001. Thus when they port it to iOS they're at a better starting place in terms of quality.

That would mean the other two games should look better too. Anyone can verify this?

vareon

Just finished the third case of the first game. This game is wonderful. All the cases are longer than I thought, too.

Nakayumi

Playing through the second game on my DS now, and this case burned me out on it for a bit. Loved the first two cases, but I had to pull myself through this one honestly. Hopefully the 4th case is good again.

Lusankya

Just finished the third case of the first game. This game is wonderful. All the cases are longer than I thought, too.

Usually every case is longer than the one before. 1-5 is especially long (and especially good).

Playing through the second game on my DS now, and this case burned me out on it for a bit. Loved the first two cases, but I had to pull myself through this one honestly. Hopefully the 4th case is good again.

I am confused how anyone could dislike 2-3 more than the horrible case 2-1 is. Anyway, 2-4 is one of the best cases in the series.

Usually every case is longer than the one before. 1-5 is especially long (and especially good).

I am confused how anyone could dislike 2-3 more than the horrible case 2-1 is. Anyway, 2-4 is one of the best cases in the series.

2-1 was short.

and I think it had maggie right? everyone loves maggie!

Ailike

And as for the aforementioned lack of clicking sound when text pops up, I think the sound effects are bugging up on my case 5. OBJECTION and TAKE THAT! is missing. Anyone experienced this.

I had an issue where the clicks dropped out. I just saved, closed all the way by x'ing, not just homescreen, and then restarted. Good as new.

The highlights are always the cases dealing directly with Maya and/or Edgeworth. So, AA1 cases 2, 4 and 5, AA2 cases 2 and 4, AA3 cases 1, 4 and 5.

Alfredo

How do you skip/speed through text? Like, if I present evidence to someone who doesn't want to cooperate, I don't want to go through the same, "I don't know what I'm looking at" stuff over and over again.

Cody_D165

Banned
So I've given the port's demo a full playthrough, and although my initial impressions of it are pretty disappointing, it kind of starts getting better. The art in Case 2 looks much, much better than some of the sprites in Case 1, and I actually seem to be getting used to some of the slower text speeds.

I might purchase the full app after all, just to support the series and see the art for all of the other characters.

Ramenman

It's not about higher quality standards, but because it was made specifically for the DS, so more horsepower than the GBA had. The other cases were ported from GBA.

That would mean the other two games should look better too. Anyone can verify this?

The other two games were also straight ports from GBA to DS, so I doubt it.

I guess he's saying how integral the music is to the enjoyment of the game? Playing with music off really makes you realize how damn slow the text is lol.

No, I mean, why on earth would Phoenix Wright be one of the few games he'd recommend ever having the music on for?

Outside of games that have no music and shovelware that has bad music, pretty much every game should be played with the music on.

I'm assuming he's talking on iOS because your own music library is always readily available. For games like Tetris or solitaire or something if on iOS I'll listen to music while I play. But I love the AA tunes so I never do that with this.

Yeah, for iOS games specifically that makes more sense.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
No, I mean, why on earth would Phoenix Wright be one of the few games he'd recommend ever having the music on for?

Outside of games that have no music and shovelware that has bad music, pretty much every game should be played with the music on.

the music in Ace Attorney trilogy is amazing, and adds a lot to the experience. true for all adventure games, RPGs, stealth games or anything story-driven that i'm invested in.

for everything else, music isn't really important. rather spin my own music or have some sports or a tv show on in the background.

RedShift

Noticing a lot of... very obvious spelling/grammar mistakes in case 5 of the 1st game. Were these in the original DS release?

Two I got screenshots of, but there was also one bit where they spelt found with an e.

Also the character art in the 5th case takes a huge step up. I'm guessing they already had high res assets from when they made the DS version.

Noticing a lot of... very obvious spelling/grammar mistakes in case 5 of the 1st game. Were these in the original DS release?

Two I got screenshots of, but there was also one bit where they spelt found with an e.

Also the character art in the 5th case takes a huge step up. I'm guessing they already had high res assets from when they made the DS version.

Did they... re-do the script for 1-5? Those errors were definitely not in the original.

That second screen... yikes. A typo and a letter capitalized incorrectly in the same sentence.

Ringman

Banned

"When the victim was died" made me laugh more than it really should have.

Guess Who

Banned

They had high-res assets for the first few cases too, but the new characters in case 5 were drawn by a different
and better
artist (who is also the character designer/artist for Apollo Justice and newer).

RedShift

God there's more.
How could you get your/you're both wrong and right within the same screen?
Lousy Febluary weather.

There are quite a few others I've seen as well.

I think they must have given the job of copying dialogue into the port of this case to an intern who didn't really care or something.

hmmm is it just me or is it missing those anime style cuts to the eyes of wright and prosecutor right before a testimony starts, like when 'testimony' pops up?

Don't see them in portrait or landscape mode.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yikes at those typos, they need to fix this stuff in an update. Text is the most important thing in VNs.

"When the victim was died" made me laugh more than it really should have.
Same. :lol Worthy successor to "this guy are sick".

Oh my god this game looks and runs like shit. Wish I could get my money back. It's not that hard to draw 2D graphics at 60FPS, Capcpom. Hell, the DS handled it just fine. The whole interface looks clunky as shit too.

The framerate in this game is fucking atrocious.

I think the frame rate is the same as the originals. And while the pixelated originals look better, I'm fine with how the graphics look. I play on the iPhone, so it may be worse when blown up onto an iPad or AppleTV.

Top Bottom