• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 123 HD for iOS Finally Getting Release

heringer

Played some more and it's not nearly as bad as some people are suggesting. On iPhone that is. It looks pretty bad on iPad, but on the small iPhone screen it actually looks good, better than the original sprites look on the high resolution iPhone screen. Also, this is a perfect game to have on your phone. Slow paced, you can play in short bursts, portrait mode, only one hand required. Heck, I played while driving today, though I don't recommend doing that haha. Perfect for mobile. Framerate feels slower but it's not a big deal at all considering what the game is.

The biggest problem with the game is also present in the DS version, which is the slow text.

I would say iPhone > DS > iPad. It's worth playing on any platform though, it's a great series.

Also, nobody blinks and it freaks me out.

What? They do blink.

Namikaze

I'm preferring the iOS versions myself. After playing the whole series on the DS, it IS noticeably choppier than the DS versions (even on the iPhone 5), but getting to experience the series with high resolution art and on a larger screen than the original DS had is refreshing.

The choppiness in the Ghost Trick port bothered me enough to skip that game completely, but I really don't mind it in this game. The achievements are a nice touch as well.

I'm really split on this. I'll buy it because I've gotten myself excited to play them again, and I appreciate being able to get the whole series for what I'd probably pay for one of the DS originals, but it seems ridiculous that they spent so much time on it when I'd rather have the original graphics. They should have included a switch like the Monkey Island remake.

Is anyone else weirded out by Phoenix's eyes? I don't remember them looking like targets.

theeraser

Really wish this included the option to use the original sprite artwork. I feel like Capcom fucked up by not including that option.

I'd even pay 99 cents for it!
Absolutely. As it stands, the new "HD art" makes it look like a glorified Flash game -- which, when combined with all of the other missteps, makes this a huge disappointment.

I was absolutely thrilled to drop $17 on this, but after trying the demo, I just can't justify it. It's such a lazy port.

Cody_D165

Banned
Stared at Mia for two minutes, huh? Forget blinking, were you aware that she had eyes?

mia-bench-wut(a).gif

Guess Who

Banned
So it's rough work that they're using for a real release? Those sprites looked incredible, this looks like layout roughs a comic artist does before the real page.

Not really rough work. The original sprites were just the line art scaled down and pixelfied a bit, no major touchups at all. That hand looks just as gross in the original sprite, the lower resolution just left more to the imagination.

Is that a reference to something?

dont know... but the plant is a reoccurring 'character' in this series. Think it appears in like every mainline game.

A little disappointed that they tell you how to get every achievement in the achievement description. Leaves nothing to random poking.

This is my first AA game. I never owned a DS until the 3DS, and still, it wasn't until UMvC3 that spurred my love of Pheonix Wright. I never got around to buying them for DS, even more ever since I heard about them going to iOS. I played through the first case in AA1 last night, and really enjoyed it. I plan on purchasing it, to see what all the magic is everyone keeps talking about. From the first case though, I can kinda see it, though I know I am in for a wild ride.

My question is though, would someone be kind enough to post screenshots of the two games with the same or similar screen to compare how much "worse" this art is over the DS? To me, they look pretty ok, though I am a total sucker for pixels. I googled, but came up with a mish mash of images, and also I am at work and the blockage can be quite severe at times. I could always wait to get home...but that's so far away! I turn to Gaf for support :D

This is my first AA game. I never owned a DS until the 3DS, and still, it wasn't until UMvC3 that spurred my love of Pheonix Wright. I never got around to buying them for DS, even more ever since I heard about them going to iOS. I played through the first case in AA1 last night, and really enjoyed it. I plan on purchasing it, to see what all the magic is everyone keeps talking about. From the first case though, I can kinda see it, though I know I am in for a wild ride.

My question is though, would someone be kind enough to post screenshots of the two games with the same or similar screen to compare how much "worse" this art is over the DS? To me, they look pretty ok, though I am a total sucker for pixels. I googled, but came up with a mish mash of images, and also I am at work and the blockage can be quite severe at times. I could always wait to get home...but that's so far away! I turn to Gaf for support :D

not sure if gb is blocked at your work, but GB did a QL of the first case which you finished for the wii version (which is just the ds one upscaled).

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-phoenix-wright-wii/2300-1867/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjwKz1MXQgE

not sure if gb is blocked at your work, but GB did a QL of the first case which you finished for the wii version (which is just the ds one upscaled).

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-phoenix-wright-wii/2300-1867/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjwKz1MXQgE

Boss, thanks. GB seems to be flying under the radar atm. Great vid, what I was lookin for.

Edit: Wow, what a difference. $17 is a steal...I guess I can put up with the "upgraded" visuals. Damn it, once it's seen, it can't be unseen..

This app is a disgrace; everything from the menus, the font, the performance, the art just sucks. I have been waiting for this for months but I'm hunting the DS versions down instead now. Shame on you Capcom.

I guess I'm lucky. I don't notice this stuff at all unless someone points it out to me. my experience has been fine except for the slow text not being instant after you've seen it once. Long investigations could be messy, especially since you can't move the cursor around until you come across something.

Dear God the text speed is soo slow T_T, it works in conjunction with how they wanna pace the plot etc, but it's soo slow =(, probs not help by having played these stories before =/

Saterium

It's not as bad as some people are making it seem, especially on iPhone. Although you can definitely see some of the sprites aren't up to par. I took a picture of one that really stood out as just awful. Love those teeth!

I guess I'm lucky. I don't notice this stuff at all unless someone points it out to me. my experience has been fine except for the slow text not being instant after you've seen it once. Long investigations could be messy, especially since you can't move the cursor around until you come across something.

Just hold to > arrow to fast forward. Can happen anytime, you don't need to have read it yet.

I bought it. The game plays fine for me; no performance issues here. The only problems I have have to do with visual stuff (blinking, some characters missing some talking frames, etc.), but overall I'm really enjoying it. It looks really great on my iPhone, and I like how they added in achievements as well to give me a little extra incentive to play through this trilogy for like the 6th time lol.

The more I play the less I notice visual flaws.

You pretty much are focused on reading the text most of the time anyways which 'helps' lol.

Man surprised how well these games hold up. They are a decade old at this point o_O

Honestly if you've never played an Ace Attorney game before then the stuff those of us who played the DS version are complaining about probably won't bother you lol

vareon

You're enjoying it, I take it?

Absolutely.

Mind you, the reason why I never played these games is because the DS games cost a lot in my country. Always wanted to buy this game but can't for various reasons. Now all I need to do is just track down the fourth game. Hopefully it's still on Play-Asia next month.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Absolutely.

Mind you, the reason why I never played these games is because the DS games cost a lot in my country. Always wanted to buy this game but can't for various reasons. Now all I need to do is just track down the fourth game. Hopefully it's still on Play-Asia next month.

Good to hear. Relish them. There's nothing quite like going through them for the first time. :)

The more I play it, the more I'm liking the redrawn sprites. It's still good and the game is still so fun.

Missed playing it. I remember some things but I think I forgot a lot of it because its been so long since I played these. Really enjoying it all over again.

Is there anyway to transfer my save date from my iphone to my ipad?

Nope. You literally can start from any day of any case though. Game isn't great on iPad so I never really bothered.

hmm. so it's really a NO for the iOS versions?

Seems mixed. People that are anal about sprites hate it. People that are playing on iPhone seem to enjoy it due to high density screen hiding most of the flaws.

At any rate, the price is a steal if you don't own this series yet.

sorry for dp, but I recall someone asking about mirroring.

Works great for this game and having your 7.1 audio blasting AA music is great <3

people hate on ios gaming, but its sadly still the only system that allows mirroring without some hacks.

LiK

sorry for dp, but I recall someone asking about mirroring.

Works great for this game and having your 7.1 audio blasting AA music is great <3

people hate on ios gaming, but its sadly still the only system that allows mirroring without some hacks.

Apple TV required right?

Top Bottom