• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

I disagree with you when saying AA6 was a mess of throwbacks mashed together. Most of the characters they brought back fit well into the story, even when some didn't have the important roles. For instance, Edgeworth showing up during the latter half of 6-5 makes complete sense given his role as Chief Prosecutor and Phoenix's friend. He doesn't need to have a central role in the story to show up, him just being there reaffirms him as a character and makes for more continuity.

And really what the series needs to focus on is stronger continuity/world building and consistent character development. Apollo's character arc in AA6 was great, it had a really good story behind it and resulted in a permanent change to the series. Problem is his character arc was only really built up from AA6 alone, his story in AA5 contributed nothing in the grand scheme of things and didn't affect his character growth. It also bothers me that Phoenix is an established veteran and still acts like his rookie AA1-3 self in court. At this point in the story, with Phoenix as established as he his, he should be more fucking more confident and mature like his AA4-self. This personality is shown when you're interacting with Phoenix as Apollo/Athena, so I don't understand why it doesn't translate to the actual court segments when you play as Phoenix.

I took it to mean Phoenix is able to show off being confident and on top of things but is still deep down unsure and guessing himself.

Holy crap guys.

I now understand why trials and tribulations is widely considered the best Ace Attorney game.

Holy crap.

I spent six hours on the train last weekend and barely noticed.

But as the series makes the transition to Switch, the costs of making the game and pushing the presentation forward are going to spike as well. So I don’t know if they’d be on board with a reboot that costs a heck of a lot more than past entries in the series.
I thought the production values of AA5 were spot on, and that going any higher would be pointless and add nothing to the game. I also think the clean polygonal models would work perfectly well in 720p as-is.

(Note that I haven't played AA4 or AA6. AA5 was my first game, and then I went back and played AA1&2, and I'm currently in the middle of AA3.)

Menitta

I'm finishing up my psycholgical analysis project with Edgeworth. He's totally got
PTSD
, if it wasn't already obvious. Though my one problem I'm having is that I need to come up with a treatment that's a specific type of therapy. It can't be
put him on trial to find the real killer.
I guess the closest would be Exposure Therapy.

Holy crap guys.

I now understand why trials and tribulations is widely considered the best Ace Attorney game.

Holy crap.

I spent six hours on the train last weekend and barely noticed.

There's a specific point in that game where it instantly becomes the best in the series. When I beat it, I looked at the clock and it was 4 AM.

Groof

So who here got AA4 on iOS/Android? Finished the first case last night and boy oh boy is it great to see it in such a high resolution

Menitta

So who here got AA4 on iOS/Android? Finished the first case last night and boy oh boy is it great to see it in such a high resolution

It looks fantastic. I just bought the first case for a buck to see what it looks like, but it's fantastic. I really hope it comes to 3DS.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/1...5th-anniversary-illustrations-series-artists/

20161216_064043_thumb.png

After having outright skipped AJ for all these years due to various reasons, I just beat it on iOS.

What jumped out at me was that all the climactic moments in the entire original trilogy were about "there's no evidence, what do we do now." Somehow it always worked out, one way or another. In AJ, not having evidence somehow became an insurmountable obstacle that can only be overcome with: 1)
fake evidence
, 2)
making someone else confess
, or 3)
reforming the legal system
. Except you somehow overcame worse in all three previous games!

In fact, every case that was designed to show the shortcomings of the evidence system ended up being short on twists, because in all the other games, coming up short for evidence was the point where the game would throw another twist at you! 4-2 was the only case that ended conventionally with actual evidence-based twists, and it was better for it.

And, yes, solving the
seven-years-old
case in 4-4 would have been in the courtroom in any of the other games. And it would have been a better moment that way.

BlackJace

Just getting around to AA6.
Music is pretty great (Investigation Core 2016 is catchy af), and investigation phases aren't railroaded like last time!

So I just finished AA3 last night. That was truly incredible. I may post an LTTP at some point...

...but first, there was one major issue that really pissed me off, and I want to vent about it.
That freaking final question: where did Godot hide his wound? The game hyped it up like heck with a ridiculously epic new music track, making it clear that this was the final test for the whole series. I spent like half an hour sorting through all the evidence I had, trying to find an item that would make sense.

Yes, it occurred to me that Godot could have hidden the wound behind his mask, but Godot's mask was not a freaking piece of evidence. And yes, it also occurred to me that maybe I could present Godot's profile itself—but I discarded that idea immediately, because well, obviously the wound was hidden somewhere on Godot, seeing as he was the one who got stabbed. Presenting his profile doesn't show where or how he hid the wound, only that, well, he was wounded and hid it somewhere. And this was the grand finale, the point where you're supposed to proving how clever you are by presenting the one, perfect piece of evidence.

I eventually had to look at a guide, which I absolutely hate doing, and when I saw what I was supposed to do, I was pretty pissed.

Again, I loved the game and I loved the ending. I'm not going to call this a minor nitpick because it did significantly screw up the pacing for me at the very height of the case. In hindsight, I'm not 100% sure whether I'm at fault or the game was, but I definitely think such an important question could have been handled better. Oh, and Phoenix Wright in general would really benefit from some kind of hint system a la Professor Layton.

So I've now played AA5, AA1, AA2, and AA3, in that order. Should I bother with Apollo Justice or should I I go right into AA6? For what it's worth, I think I enjoyed Dual Destinies significantly more than AA1&2—even if the writing wasn't quite as good, I really appreciated the higher production values. Of course, the fact that it was my first game may have played a factor as well.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm sorry the last moment caused so much frustration, but to be fair
using profiles in that way was not unprecedented as in 3-3, Turnabout Recipe for example, you needed to present Glen's profile one time to show he wears his HMD on his left ear
. It certainly didn't help matters that Godot's initial reaction to every piece presented is the same and you needed to go through three or four statements before the plot progressed. They did the same thing in 3-2 which got me stuck for a bit.

I'd say play AA4. It's still a fun game despite its flaws and it's not super long especially compared to AA3 and the two Investigations games while providing some slight set up for AA6. The updated iOS version came out about a month ago so that should make things easier.

D-Man

If you're in the series for the long haul, Apollo Justice is definitely worth checking out. Not the best game, but still enjoyable like all AA games.

Be sure to check out the AA Investigations games as well if you're hungry for more. AAI2 never made it to the west, but there's a fantastic fan translation available online that you can find.

Lusankya

I agree. There is no bad AA game and you should play them all. The newly released mobile phone version of AA4 is great fo that.

Be sure to check out the AA Investigations games as well if you're hungry for more. AAI2 never made it to the west, but there's a fantastic fan translation available online that you can find.

Fantastic is even an understatement. Playing the fan translation really feels like playing an official translation.
And AAI2 is one of the best games in the entire series, so nobody should miss out on it.

I agree. There is no bad AA game and you should play them all. The newly released mobile phone version of AA4 is great fo that.

...having finished the trilogy, I would personally classify AA2 as "bad", or at least mediocre. The final case was great, but all of the others were kind of bland, and often boring. Even the final case was less good than the final cases in every other game I've played. It took me nearly a year to get through the game overall; I kept losing interest.

If you're in the series for the long haul, Apollo Justice is definitely worth checking out. Not the best game, but still enjoyable like all AA games.

Oh, I should mention, I've also played about half of the AAI2 translation, and liked it a lot. Unfortunately, part way through episode 3, I had to take a break for hardware-related reasons, and when I came back a few months later, I'd forgotten too much of what was going on.

If I could restart episode 3 from the beginning, that would solve the problem, but there's no way to do this as far as I can tell, and my memory is too good to restart the game entirely. I figure I'll have to come back a few years down the road, when my memory has faded enough to restart from scratch.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm sorry the last moment caused so much frustration, but to be fair
using profiles in that way was not unprecedented as in 3-3, Turnabout Recipe for example, you needed to present Glen's profile one time to show he wears his HMD on his left ear
Oh yeah, there's totally precedent for it. if it wasn't the climactic trilogy-ending final question, I think I could have figured it out. I just thought that such an important question would have a more noteworthy answer.

As a whole, I feel like the original AA trilogy wasn't user-tested as well as it could have been. I'm sure that they did some tests—otherwise, the games would be a lot less well balanced than they are—but I don't think they had the resources to do enough tests.

I mean, I can't be the only person who had a problem with the last question. I don't know how many people had a problem, but I would guess that it's ≥ 2%. Had they done 200 user tests, and 4 people got confused, they could have fixed the problem.

This is another thing I really liked about AA5 in comparison to the trilogy: the questions felt fairer. Yes, finding the right answer was often difficult, as it should be. But whenever I did spot the right answer, I always knew it was right before I presented it. I suspect it's because they did more testing.

Regarding AA4: I'm assuming the iOS version doesn't have the issues as AA1-3? I don't remember what the problem was, but I always heard that the original trilogy on iOS should be avoided for some reason.

If I could restart episode 3 from the beginning, that would solve the problem, but there's no way to do this as far as I can tell, and my memory is too good to restart the game entirely. I figure I'll have to come back a few years down the road, when my memory has faded enough to restart from scratch.

If you choose New Game you can start from the beginning of any case you have unlocked, including ones that are in-progress.

Regarding AA4: I'm assuming the iOS version doesn't have the issues as AA1-3? I don't remember what the problem was, but I always heard that the original trilogy on iOS should be avoided for some reason.

The iOS trilogy cut some character animations, music, and effects during some scenes were removed. I haven't played AA4 iOS since I have my DS cart but I haven't heard anything negative about it so far and the trailer looked pretty good. It's mainly for convenience since it goes for $26-30 on Amazon vs $15 with the App store.

I'm worried about this series for new players and sales for the next game outside of Japan. I see new people wanting to try the series, but they're always recommended to play the original trilogy and then everything in order. While the original trilogy is the best, I want more people buying the new games as well. Capcom wrote AA6 with introductions for every character, but I don't think it's a good starting point for new players and I would hesitate to recommend it over the original trilogy.

Menitta

I'm worried about this series for new players and sales for the next game outside of Japan. I see new people wanting to try the series, but they're always recommended to play the original trilogy and then everything in order. While the original trilogy is the best, I want more people buying the new games as well. Capcom wrote AA6 with introductions for every character, but I don't think it's a good starting point for new players and I would hesitate to recommend it over the original trilogy.
Ace Attorney needs a "Mia Fey: Ace Attorney 0" I'd love a prequel game where you play as Mia Fey.

Top Bottom