• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

Turnabout Circus is pretty terrible, but it's mercifully short surprisingly if you know what to do and has an...okay ending...I guess. Eh.

Turnabout Serenade on the other hand causes me physical pain. Aside from the baffling logical fallacies throughout the case on reflection (Full spoilers:
Arguing Machi used a gun that would have shattered his arm if he tried, Lam running and singing in a METAL VENT without any echo on the microphone or people hearing her footsteps [also, why have her go through the vent to begin with if the Lam we see on stage for the bulk of the song is a body double? Just have actual Lam in a room underneath the podium she would appear on and sing there...], LeTouse using his last words to point to Lam and Machi as witnesses instead of saying "That guy with the stupid hair shot me", and then everyone including Machi's best friend / surrogate mom refusing to explain the magic trick despite how much it would help Machi just because Valant asked them not to
) the case is so slow and boring. I'm playing through the series again before DGS2 comes out and I wanted to take count how many times you have to watch a significant amount of *that* video.

Instances of more than 5 seconds of forced watching:
14 times

Less than 5 seconds of forced watching:
9 times

Possibly more if you make mistakes or press more than needed. And nearly all of it is during the last court day. I was thinking "Huh...maybe we've all been exaggerating about that video", but then that last court day happens and goddamn.

Third Case Curse is REAL with Turnabout Seranade. If I never have to listen to that song ever again, it'll be too soon. I'd rather put up with Moe's jokes for an entire day.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Turnabout Circus is pretty terrible, but it's mercifully short surprisingly if you know what to do and has an...okay ending...I guess. Eh.

I will give you that Circus is relatively short. Just two sparse investigation sequences and the court chapters aren't very bloated either. The previous case felt far longer and more involved.

Still, very messily constructed overall(though the clown had a few great zingers! Localization was great with him). Guess I also have a few more clunker cases ahead of me in later games too...

Brandon F

Turnabout Circus has that court segment where you get a penalty for pressing Moe. Fuck that.

Yea, I suddenly got frightened to ever start pressing statements getting hit by that. Really hated that moment, but at least it was isolated.

No, that would be Case 2 of Dual Destinies.

Huh, what's was wrong with that one?

Like it's not great but there's nothing awful about it.

Yea, I suddenly got frightened to ever start pressing statements getting hit by that. Really hated that moment, but at least it was isolated.

Haven't played (beyond the first case of) AA4 but overall I feel like the series should punish you more often for needlessly pressing people. There should be a warning first though.

Brandon F

Haven't played (beyond the first case of) AA4 but overall I feel like the series should punish you more often for needlessly pressing people. There should be a warning first though.

I don't disagree, but there would need to be some pretty major adjustments to the design for it to work. Just implementing it as is, and its literally a lottery. Most of the time you 'press' a witness leads to questioning that is so tangential or often unexpected(and is kind of the point) it just wouldn't really add much beyond frustration.

But yea, badgering the witness should possibly be more punishable and would help make the cross-examination less of a scripted affair for sure. If it can be reworked into a mechanic.

neoemonk

I picked up the trilogy on 3DS when it was on sale a while ago, and my kids saw me playing it and now I can't play it without them! It's a fun series. I only wish I could play it on a TV because it's hard having everyone huddled around a 3DS.

Lusankya

I picked up the trilogy on 3DS when it was on sale a while ago, and my kids saw me playing it and now I can't play it without them! It's a fun series. I only wish I could play it on a TV because it's hard having everyone huddled around a 3DS.

Well, technically you can play the first three games on the TV if you own a Wii.

I just finished the first Miles Edgeworth game. That last case dragged on and on. I don't remember the other games going quite as long as this one but those were years ago for me.

I missed the court battles. Something about them being in an official setting, giving their testimonies makes more sense to me and sets a more realistic frame for me to wrap my head around.

I'm thinking of skipping the second one (never skipped one before) and going straight into the first 3DS game.

I just finished the first Miles Edgeworth game. That last case dragged on and on. I don't remember the other games going quite as long as this one but those were years ago for me.

I missed the court battles. Something about them being in an official setting, giving their testimonies makes more sense to me and sets a more realistic frame for me to wrap my head around.

I'm thinking of skipping the second one (never skipped one before) and going straight into the first 3DS game.
AAI2 is one of the best games in the entire series.

I would highly suggest not skipping it.

Lusankya

Alright, that's pretty much exactly what I needed to hear. Time to get started on it.

AAI2 is an upgrade to the first game in nearly every way.

My biggest gripe with the first game was how Miles basically solved all the cases before we even got to cross examine the final characters in each case. This is way better handled in the second game, plus the overarching story as well as the individual cases are also much better.

Alright, that's pretty much exactly what I needed to hear. Time to get started on it.
Just a note, don't be fooled by the first case, which feels pretty standard and insignificant at first. It's not, and you'll see why.

AAI2 has probably the strongest overall story arc in the whole series. It's really a wonderfully made game in practically every respect.

PK Gaming

Turnabout Serenade on the other hand causes me physical pain. Aside from the baffling logical fallacies throughout the case on reflection (Full spoilers:
Arguing Machi used a gun that would have shattered his arm if he tried, Lam running and singing in a METAL VENT without any echo on the microphone or people hearing her footsteps [also, why have her go through the vent to begin with if the Lam we see on stage for the bulk of the song is a body double? Just have actual Lam in a room underneath the podium she would appear on and sing there...], LeTouse using his last words to point to Lam and Machi as witnesses instead of saying "That guy with the stupid hair shot me", and then everyone including Machi's best friend / surrogate mom refusing to explain the magic trick despite how much it would help Machi just because Valant asked them not to
) the case is so slow and boring. I'm playing through the series again before DGS2 comes out and I wanted to take count how many times you have to watch a significant amount of *that* video.

Instances of more than 5 seconds of forced watching:
14 times

Less than 5 seconds of forced watching:
9 times

Possibly more if you make mistakes or press more than needed. And nearly all of it is during the last court day. I was thinking "Huh...maybe we've all been exaggerating about that video", but then that last court day happens and goddamn.

The writing in this case is so laughably bad and devoid of quality or technique, it's almost endearing in how terrible it is across the board

GSR

I like Turnabout Serenade just because of the cast of characters and the general concept of the case, but it makes like 0 sense logically, lol. Even an AJ stan like me can only defend it so far.

I really need to replay AAI2. I vaguely remember not liking it quite as much as most folks so I'm curious to see if there's something in it that rubs me the wrong way.

Meh, I'd rather watch the video again than listen to Wocky.

Definitely this. Turnabout Corner was my least favorite case of that game. I hated everyone in that case, while at least Lamiroir is a bright spot for Turnabout Serenade.

On that note, I wanna take this time to point out that every defendant in AA4 sucked.

dumbyugi

Definitely this. Turnabout Corner was my least favorite case of that game. I hated everyone in that case, while at least Lamiroir is a bright spot for Turnabout Serenade.

On that note, I wanna take this time to point out that every defendant in AA4 sucked.

Not all the defendants sucked, Phoenix was one of them.

Lusankya

I really liked the premise of the case, you know, having three seemingly unrelated incidents at first which, how we learn after a while, are all connected.

But then it goes all downhill especially with the characterization.

PK Gaming

Turnabout Corner is my favorite AA4 case, and here's why:

• 3 unrelated cases that segue into the final case rather nicely
  • The introduction of the game's core cast. The return of Ema (who has become an unexpected failure), Kristoph Gavin (fop), etc
  • Phoenix Wright as a partner, confidant, etc is fantastic. Loved his stories at the hospital.
  • A culprit who isn't immediately obvious
  • The culprit's motivation and murder method was great
  • Tons of great shots
  • Tons of tension during the latter parts of the trial (Wocky's potential heart failure)
  • Trucy's general usefulness & characterization (takes a nosedive in the next case)
  • Lots of great places to explore
  • Great worldbuilding through Trucy and Phoenix Wright
  • Trucy's magic panties
  • Very memorable
It's something I realized on a second playthrough, after I got over my initial disappointment with the game. It's actually a really well constructed case, and one of my favorite standard cases in the series. The only notable flaw is the extremely obnoxious witness and Perceive's introduction, but everything aside from that is stellar.

plum-sword%28f%29.gif

Not all the defendants sucked, Phoenix was one of them.

I didn't like Phoenix when he was the defendant, either. Coming off of AA3, he was like a completely different person.

When he finally got rid of that smug attitude I was able to see the Phoenix I knew and loved come back, but throughout most of the case he was like this:

5PYyEHc.gif

...instead of this:

aB7S0ZG.gif

Seriously, when Apollo punched him it felt so deserved.

Vera is amazing though.

To quote Apollo in that very same case: "Worst. Defendant. Ever."

I warmed up to her by the end, but I was really tired of going through 3 straight cases of uncooperative defendants and having her also be like that.
I wouldn't say she's uncooperative. Her circumstances are quite different comparatively.

I wouldn't say she's uncooperative. Her circumstances are quite different comparatively.

Yeah, but you didn't know much about that early on. Once you do the second investigation and get to the end she becomes endearing.

I just wanted my clients to talk to me, man. I felt like each one of them was a brick wall for the majority of their cases. I don't remember seeing this problem in any other game in the series.

Heck, if I remember correctly, you can't even have a regular chat with Wocky until the second investigation. No opportunity to present stuff to him or talk to him.

Yeah, but you didn't know much about that early on. Once you do the second investigation and get to the end she becomes endearing.

I just wanted my clients to talk to me, man. I felt like each one of them was a brick wall for the majority of their cases. I don't remember seeing this problem in any other game in the series.

Heck, if I remember correctly, you can't even have a regular chat with Wocky until the second investigation. No opportunity to present stuff to him or talk to him.
The less time talking to Wocky, the better IMO.

Groof

Replaying Dual Destinies on Android and man these games were made for high resolution screens. Shame about the low res textures though.

The banter during the mock mock trial in 3-1 is A+

Golnei

Regarding Klavier, while I don't really like him as a character all that much; I'm still surprised his backstory and relationship with Kristoph was never expanded on, compared to pretty much every other prosecutor in the series. Given the setup of the game, it's actually quite impressive that he doesn't really feel relevant.

Nayuhta in comparison was at least better integrated in the game as a whole, although he may not always have been used that effectively.

Just finished the first case in justice for all and music is not as good as the first game,I liked the case though.

There are a couple of reasonable pieces associated with later cases, but overall it was a step down. The third game definitely addresses that issue, however.

BlackJace

I don't know, I didn't dislike Sad Monk as much as the rest of ya.
wtzgU.gif

He was pretty boring and one-dimensional, but I still feel like Klavier is weakest in the series.

Top Bottom