• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney Community Thread - MUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCHMUNCH

I'm worried about this series for new players and sales for the next game outside of Japan. I see new people wanting to try the series, but they're always recommended to play the original trilogy and then everything in order.

This might seem anethma to some, but having just finished it, I actually think Ace Attorney 3 would make for a good starting point. There's really aren't that many instances where past games are mentioned, and the structure of the game gives players a good introduction to characters like Mia and Edgeworth.

BlackJace

Case 3 of AA6.
Wow, that was a emotional ride, and that ending...yeesh. Can't remember a case like that for a while.

Pretty good entry so far, onwards to Case 4

Having given AA4 a try, I think I'm going to bail on it. Appollo's blandness is REALLY pissing me off much more than I would have expected--I generally don't care about these things.

On a seperate note, I'm kind of torn on the iOS graphics. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of pixel art, and so having the characters and other assets in high resolution for once is reeeeally nice. At the same time... Something about how they are drawn is giving me an early-2000s crappy flash game vibe, though I can't put my finger on why.

Menitta

Having given AA4 a try, I think I'm going to bail on it. Appollo's blandness is REALLY pissing me off much more than I would have expected--I generally don't care about these things.

On a seperate note, I'm kind of torn on the iOS graphics. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of pixel art, and so having the characters and other assets in high resolution for once is reeeeally nice. At the same time... Something about how they are drawn is giving me an early-2000s crappy flash game vibe, though I can't put my finger on why.

The trilogy on iOS looks like what you're describing but worse.

Trilogy:

ace_Attorney_trilogy_003_thumb.jpg

Apollo Justice:

I can't blame you for dropping AA4. It's a weaker entry overall. That being said, I stand by my opinion that it's got the best investigation sections in the series. Also I'm one of the 2 people who like Apollo.

The trilogy on iOS looks like what you're describing but worse.

Trilogy:

Apollo Justice:

I can't blame you for dropping AA4. It's a weaker entry overall. That being said, I stand by my opinion that it's got the best investigation sections in the series. Also I'm one of the 2 people who like Apollo.

Both of those images look awful :/

PK Gaming

He's not that much different from Phoenix (which is precisely his biggest problem) but if you played through AA1-3 you can handle Apollo. If you're expecting to him to have half decent characterization though... 5 and 6 have your back.

Young Magus

Man Bum Phoenix was the GOAT, also was the best/worst parts of AA4 too ;-;.

But yea,
1.) Is the anime worth viewing?
2.) Is AA6 worth a buy?

dumbyugi

Man Bum Phoenix was the GOAT, also was the best/worst parts of AA4 too ;-;.

But yea,
1.) Is the anime worth viewing?
2.) Is AA6 worth a buy?

Watch the circus case in the anime because it's better than the game version. Don't bother with the rest unless you've got nothing better to do.
AA6 is fantastic and my 2016 goty so I would say it's absolutely worth a buy.

Menitta

I'm at Magfest right now and I bought the Ace Attorney artbook and I might just get an Apollo Justice wallscroll (the art is really nice).

Menitta

I don't know why I'm surprised the artbook is mostly character designs. I shouldn't be. Ace Attorney's bread and butter is in the characters. What's really interesting are the designer commentary notes. I kinda wanna put one here.

Edit: MAN FUCK NAHYUTA!! He's just a complete asshole. Like I didn't care for Simon, but I could see myself liking him later on at the same point I was at in AA5 as I am with 6. can't see myself liking Nahyuta at all.

Edit 2:

Edgeworth's bow

Mr. Hat:

Golnei

I'm not really all that bothered that the last part of AA6's final case
played the game's regular Cornered theme instead of AA4's
; it wouldn't have hurt to do so, but it wouldn't have added all that much beyond drawing yet another parallel to AA3.

However, there was one part where the use of the game's standard music stood out negatively -
the final Divination Seance. Given how it's been set up and the significance of the scene, it feels so anticlimactic to use the regular theme. A simple, ambient arrangement of The Guitar's Serenade instead would have been so effective.

Looking forward to the DGS localization announcement at the Japanese-only event in a few hours.

Have they localised the rest of the series for non-Japanese Asian markets yet? DGS would be an odd place to start.

GSR

So after the big batch of DGS2 info we just got, it's getting clearer and clearer that it's being positioned as literally the "second half" of DGS1. A lot of the music is being reused, virtually all the characters we've seen now are returning (including the victims), they're keeping the same prosecutor as DGS1, and from the demo DGS2-1 follows up directly on DGS1-1. They're even selling a DGS1+2 double pack alongside DGS2 on its own.

It's an interesting tactic. I'm a little worried that the game won't have enough new stuff to feel fresh, but I'd be lying if I said the idea of effectively a single gigantic Ace Attorney game isn't kind of cool.

Lusankya

So after the big batch of DGS2 info we just got, it's getting clearer and clearer that it's being positioned as literally the "second half" of DGS1. A lot of the music is being reused, virtually all the characters we've seen now are returning (including the victims), they're keeping the same prosecutor as DGS1, and from the demo DGS2-1 follows up directly on DGS1-1. They're even selling a DGS1+2 double pack alongside DGS2 on its own.

Yeah, so far there is only one new character, namely Susato's friend who is the accused in case 1. Also I saw a hat in a case 2 screenshot which belongs to a character from DGS1 who only appeared for like 5 minutes and didn't get a name IIRC.

Do we have a price tag for DGS1+2 and DGS2?

DGS2 (retail) 5800 Yen
DGS1+2 7200 Yen

Vibranium

Banned

It's an interesting tactic. I'm a little worried that the game won't have enough new stuff to feel fresh, but I'd be lying if I said the idea of effectively a single gigantic Ace Attorney game isn't kind of cool.

Maybe we can get the DGS1 and 2 double pack localized for the west now? Or will Capcom have more excuses for us?

This company, man...Ace Attorney would sell great on Steam besides the 3DS, it would increase the niche audience numbers at least. PC is such an untapped market for this franchise in the west.

Apenheul

I recall reading somewhere that Dual Destinies has some connection with Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2. Even in the case that DD has some form of spoilers, can I just play Dual Destinies without having a solution or important plot point spoiled? If there are connections to a certain case in MIE2 I guess I could just watch the fan translation on youtube.

Golnei

I recall reading somewhere that Dual Destinies has some connection with Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2. Even in the case that DD has some form of spoilers, can I just play Dual Destinies without having a solution or important plot point spoiled? If there are connections to a certain case in MIE2 I guess I could just watch the fan translation on youtube.

It's nothing significant, and doesn't spoil anything - just a background connection.
But I'd still advise playing AAI2 on its own merits.

Menitta

So I did the first case of AA Investigations and I was surprised how much of a difference actually walking around the crime scene made. That being said, I am aware it's unfortunately one of the worst in the series, but 2 is one of the best! Is there any way to play 2 in English and on a cart?

I'm assuming not...

Edit: or even homebrew on 3DS?

Bowl0l

So I did the first case of AA Investigations and I was surprised how much of a difference actually walking around the crime scene made. That being said, I am aware it's unfortunately one of the worst in the series, but 2 is one of the best! Is there any way to play 2 in English and on a cart?

I'm assuming not...

I think you should ask this in the 3DS Homebrew thread
http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=934993&page=100000

PK Gaming

I'm assuming not...

AAI definitely isn't one of the worst in the series

For one, you're straight up playing as one of the best VN protagonists in the genre

And the cases are generally strong (with the 4th one being one of the best in the series). It's just the final case that's a bit disappointing

Menitta

I think you should ask this in the 3DS Homebrew thread
http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=934993&page=100000
Youre right. Forgot about that thread lol.

AAI definitely isn't one of the worst in the series

For one, you're straight up playing as one of the best VN protagonists in the genre

And the cases are generally strong (with the 4th one being one of the best in the series). It's just the final case that's a bit disappointing

Bolded, you're definitely right. That's why I'm gonna keep playing it. Hopefully my expectations are so low that I'll like it even more than I would have otherwise. It'll probably end up like how I see 4 where I love it even though the last case isn't the best.

Edit: the hell is with this series and grape juice lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thought about making a LttP thread, but it felt too soon to do so.

Been playing the AA Trilogy on 3DS and just finished the circus case in Justice for All. Every case up to this one has been wonderfully constructed and even the inane 'reveals' have some sort of internal logic that fits with the ridiculousness of this world.

But that circus case really lost me. Just went off on unbelievable tangents, the clues didn't seem to fit as cleanly and the leaps in logic were just a bit much(had to look up a few answers given how absurd the links seemed to be). I know its largely considered the worst case in the franchise, and I now understand why.

At least knowing that the next case is considered by many to be the best in the entire franchise maintains my motivation to keep playing, but yeesh I would have seriously considered putting the entire thing down for a long break after that one.

Thought about making a LttP thread, but it felt too soon to do so.

Been playing the AA Trilogy on 3DS and just finished the circus case in Justice for All. Every case up to this one has been wonderfully constructed and even the inane 'reveals' have some sort of internal logic that fits with the ridiculousness of this world.

But that circus case really lost me. Just went off on unbelievable tangents, the clues didn't seem to fit as cleanly and the leaps in logic were just a bit much(had to look up a few answers given how absurd the links seemed to be). I know its largely considered the worst case in the franchise, and I now understand why.

At least knowing that the next case is considered by many to be the best in the entire franchise maintains my motivation to keep playing, but yeesh I would have seriously considered putting the entire thing down for a long break after that one.

No, that would be Case 2 of Dual Destinies.

In general I've found a lot of my friends who enjoyed the first AA title to never get past JFA due to its first three cases, and notably the circus.
Mind you I still think there's worse than the circus in other titles, Apollo Justice Case 3 in particular is a bloody disaster.

Top Bottom