• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat Infinity |OT| You are cleared to engage.

Noi

oWVeiXH.png

Sortie Info

• Developer: Project Aces
  • Publisher: Bandai Namco Games
  • Release: Date: May 20 2014 JPN, May 27 2014 US, May 28 2014 EU
  • Platform: Playstation 3 (Digital)
  • Price: Free to Play
  • Game Modes: Single Player, Online Co-Op, Online Versus
  • Genre: Arcade, Flight Shooting
  • PSN Store Download Link: (North America), (Europe)

User Aerocrane has made a handy google doc for people on GAF who plan on playing to game to hook up and play with each other!
Form
Spreadsheet

How does the Free to Play component work?

Players start with 3 Supplied Fuel, which is used to participate in any mission in Ace Combat Infinity. You cannot have more than 3 Supplied Fuel at a time, and it takes 4 hours to receive another unit of Supply Fuel for free.

In addition, players can obtain additional units of Stocked Fuel. These cannot be regenerated, and are obtained either by purchasing via the Sony store or obtaining them in-game challenges.

Either type of fuel can be used to play Campaign or Co-Op missions.

Campaign Mode
Play through the brand new story in a series of 8 solo missions (only 5 available at launch). If this is the only reason you're interested in Ace Combat Infinity, there is an unlimited Campaign Play ticket ($20) that removes the fuel and credit requirement to play through and unlock Campaign stages. (NA PSN Store Link)

Online Co-Op
Combine your skills with other aces in real-time with two co-op teams of four aircraft competing to inflict the most damage on the NPC enemy forces.

Player versus Player
No details available, but coming in the future.

Screenshots

Trailers
Spread Your Wings
Ulysses Disaster
Engage

"The Sky is Yours."

mcz117chief

Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath

The demon soars through dark skies
Fear and death trail in its shadow beneath
Until men united wield a hallowed sabre
In final reckoning, the beast is slain

As the demon sleeps man turns on man
His blood and madness soon cover the earth
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz
Its black wings ablaze in majestic light

Shengar

The Campaign ticket got my attention, but they said that I must grind for my SU-37 to become available for the campaign which mean I've still to dealt with the shitty fuel practice. I don't really know what to do, can you guys give me a list of available free planes for solo play?

The Campaign ticket got my attention, but they said that I must grind for my SU-37 to become available for the campaign which mean I've still to dealt with the shitty fuel practice. I don't really know what to do, can you guys give me a list of available free planes for solo play?

Check the guide I posted. You can get 30 stocked fuels (30 tries at MP) easily if you buy the campaign ticket.

EmpReb

Banned
Downloading..... I am so buying the singleplayer. If that is all they need to be convinced of a new Ace Combat title for the PS4... I am in. $20 for Ace Comabat game with a story? HELLS YES. Really a good deal when you think about it.

breakfuss

What is this foolishness? You have to pay for fuel???? Man nah. I'll just play the surprisingly competent Assault Horizon on my 3DS.

"Though I play through the AC f2p title, I shall fear no evil.
For I am at 80,000 feet and climbing." - At the entrance to my
old ps3 operating at my house.

Let's do this.

glaurung

Did they improve the F2P model or is it still a horribly gouging experience?

I... I want to like this game, but Namco's F2P policies are complete bullshit.

EmpReb

Banned
Did they improve the F2P model or is it still a horribly gouging experience?

I... I want to like this game, but Namco's F2P policies are complete bullshit.
Short answer it seems.... Yes. Long... not really but you can pay $20 bucks if you want to just play the story. So not bad IMO. Going to play it latter after download done.

glaurung

What scifi planes are included for now? The trailer included Nosferatu from AC6. I suppose they'll also throw in Shinden for a huge DLC price.

What about Falkens and Wyverns?

While I love Ace Combat games, I'm going to wait for this game to bomb hard enough for Namco to realize that they should make another non-gimmicky bullshit version of Ace Combat.

glaurung

While I love Ace Combat games, I'm going to wait for this game to bomb hard enough that Namco realizes they should make another non-gimmicky bullshit version of Ace Combat.
That might be a long-ass wait though.

I think that after Assault Horizon bombed, they shelved all full-blown campaign AC ideas. Infinity exists solely because they had the Assault Horizon engine/netcode and all assets from the previous games in a suitable format. It's a mashup of sorts.

The best I'd hope for is an Ace Combat X2 for the Vita.

mcz117chief

I think that after Assault Horizon bombed, they shelved all full-blown campaign AC ideas. Infinity exists solely because they had the Assault Horizon engine/netcode and all assets from the previous games in a suitable format. It's a mashup of sorts.

Assault Horizon bombed ? Really ? What a shame :(

Shengar

Unappealing pre-release information and bad word of mouth didn't really help Assault Horizon for selling. That game is really the face of Japanese company that doesn't have a clue about the strength and selling point of their own IP on worldwide audience.

glaurung

Unappealing pre-release information and bad word of mouth didn't really help Assault Horizon for selling. That game is really the face of Japanese company that doesn't have a clue about the strength and selling point of their own IP on worldwide audience.
...plus an ill fated attempt to cash in on the CoD craze. Which never successfully lent itself to the semi-simulator genre.

Assault Horizon did not bomb that hard though. It sold a nice amount and I am certain the later released Advanced Edition sold a fair amount.

But it definitely did not fulfill the expectation Namco had for it.

mcz117chief

I still like it :)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What scifi planes are included for now? The trailer included Nosferatu from AC6. I suppose they'll also throw in Shinden for a huge DLC price.

What about Falkens and Wyverns?

The ADFX-01 Morgan is available for a limited time till august 5th I believe.

You just have to do 30 online missions to unlock it.

Shengar

...plus an ill fated attempt to cash in on the CoD craze. Which never successfully lent itself to the semi-simulator genre.
Very stupid of them if they thought the CoD craze is all about Russians vs US of A. The setting never been a problem with worldwide audience. They could just take more cue from ACZ's story tone (more grounded, compared to the melodramatic AC4 and AC5) if they wanted to appeal wider audience.

And yeah about expectation. Being blinded by the CoD craze Bamco must've set a crazy expectation for Assault Horizon, especially after the change they've made.
I still like it :)

It's not about how we like it or not. My point is that Bamco at that completely clueless the very signature of their flight arcade games that is the setting. As far as I know, Strangereal is the first, and the only fictional constructed world that took place in modern era. I know they've already show the sign of moving it from the earlier PSP release, but its at least still have superplanes, and not Russian. If its not because the story, DFM might be more well received among the fans despite the regenerating health (a shit that they should fix if they aim for competitive Ace Combat multiplayer mode later, I hope).

The ADFX-01 Morgan is available for a limited time till august 5th I believe.

You just have to do 30 online missions to unlock it.
Oh shi-

Caius

Banned
Not a fan of wait or pay type games, but this looks pretty good and I'm always a sucker for AC franchise. Have to try this when I get back from work.

Naked Lunch

This is as close to real Ace Combat as we've seen since 2007's AC6. That is a long ass time. The beta made me a believer. Cant wait to DL this later tonight.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think I played like 4 or 5 hours last night, I bought the campaign ticket because I don't want Ace Combat to flounder and die out ;_;

Ace Combat Infinity honestly is rather fun, t's a shame that the fuel system is going to turn off so many people, but I started out with likeee the 10 free fuel + 3 stocked fuel, did the campaign to unlock 20 additional fuel for 33 fuel and by the time I finished running ~20 online missions I still have 28 fuel, you get a lot back just from playing and finishing challenges.

I unlocked the F-16, MiG-21, The F-14, the F4G and leveled up two planes to level 2, I also unlocked a few custom paint jobs, didn't unlock any parts but I'm like 2-3 missions away from unlocking 3 of them and took my rank up to 2nd lieutenant.

Honestly I felt like I got a lot done.

Dyno

Ace Combat is one of the franchises that got me into gaming. As long as the spirit is alive I'll play in any format. Will download tonight!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oh I forgot to mention earlier, the mission layout is pretty cool.

For anyone who didn't play the beta it's basically Your Squad (Your Team) + Rival Squad (Enemy Team) vs Enemy Forces (NPCs).

It creates this interesting dynamic since you're competing against your rival squad for best score but the over all mission score is still dependent on both of you, so it's almost like you're working together but still actively trying to out do each other. This creates really big tension towards the end of the map when you realize you're both really neck in neck because you've all been gunning for that S rank together but when you realize now it's time to win you start playing dirty and start kill stealing and other shenanigans.

Aerocrane

I'm not very good at the game, haven't played Ace Combat since the PS2 days. We should get a PSN ID list going, add Aerocrane on PSN if you want to play with a bad european player :p

We should get some lobbies going so we can grind the "Aerospace Center Defense" Online Co-Op Mission for the two challenges.

EGOMON

Am so sad i can't find my absolute favorite aircraft the SU-47 :( :(
Although saw it so many times in their trailers it is one of the reason i love modern aitcraft games, anyway am happy to see an OT here i thought i was the only one interested

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Am so sad i can't find my absolute favorite aircraft the SU-47 :( :(

Yeah I'm also disappointed at the lack of an unlockable berkut, but there is a chance it might show up later as an event unlockable or in a future patch.

Also even though the SU-35 is unlockable I am really sad that there is no true SU-37 Terminator available ;___; even if they are mostly the same plane.

So is the SP content, in and of itself, decent?

Not talking about the "oh, you get the fuel bonus" or the "it's helpful in how to best accomplish stuff", but as a set of SP missions, are they worth the ticket price in and of themselves?

(I realize not all the missions are out yet)

Ugh, silly Namco. I'd settle for HD ports of AC 4, 5, Zero at this point.

Would love AC on Vita. Does Ace Combat X work on it?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So is the SP content, in and of itself, decent?

Not talking about the "oh, you get the fuel bonus" or the "it's helpful in how to best accomplish stuff", but as a set of SP missions, are they worth the ticket price in and of themselves?

(I realize not all the missions are out yet)

I would say that the value of the SP content isn't going to be very apparent until you've got some decent unlocks and the other missions come out.

It probably took me like an hour and a half to clear all 5 missions? The last one is pretty challenging and the second to last one is really fun, but if you ask me the true value there is the 20 fuel unlock at the end.

I'm also assuming there will be bonus fuel for finishing missions 6, 7 and 8 when they release. Also the missions will probably become really handy solo training missions later on, so if you wanna just test fly without having to worry about using your stock fuels or wanna get some practice in before flying out the single player missions are a good way to do that.

Gaus

Banned
The fuel taking 4 hours for one ticket is a bit much for me. In reality, that means it takes 12 hours to get your 3 tickets back, which means you can do 3 missions a day without paying.

It's just too little. If it was more like Gundam Battle Online where it was 90 minutes per ticket, I could get into that.. but this is just too long between missions.

Do they have a full game unlock? If not, I think I'm out.

Top Bottom