• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors you will gladly watch a movie for?

Probably Leo D.
I used to be a big fan of Christian Bale but after that rant leaked a decade ago I just, eh, fell off
Used to like Edward Norton a lot, but I just don't care anymore. Maybe it's his voice?
Oh! In my original response, I forgot to mention Christian Bale. I'd watch almost anything with that guy in it, no questions asked.

As for his rant -- yea, I'm acquainted with it. But I've also purposely made it a point to separate the artist from the art. If I held art-makers to some sort of personal/moral code, the amount of art I'd be able to appreciate would be... very small.

Michael Caine, Viggo Mortensen, Ewan McGregor, Catherine Keener, Sam Rockwell, Morgan Freeman, Shia Labeouf, Paul Newman, Seymour Hoffman...tons of great actors I look for.
He needs to spend more time honing his craft (in which he has a high amount of potential) and less time being a weirdo ass-clown.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not the full list but off the top of my head + reading this topic...

Actors:

Robert De Niro
Leonardo DiCaprio
Robert Pattinson
Tom Hanks
David Tennant
Matt Smith
Jack Nicholson
Henry Cavill
Cillian Murphy
Daniel Radcliffe
Rowan Atkinson

Actresses:

Daisy Ridley
Anya Taylor Joy
Emma Watson
Helena Bonham Carter
Saoirse Ronan
Florence Pugh
Lily James
Kate Winslet
Claire Foy
Toni Collette
Katherine Langford
Emma Roberts
Kiernan Shipka

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Watched Moonlight again recently. Remembered how good Mahershala Ali is. One of the finest actors working today.

I really think he's the man to pull off the Blade character as good as Wesley Snipes did. Can't wait to see it.

NeoGiffer

:unsure:

tenor.gif

Surely you don’t genuinely believe that?

As a fan of the medium?

Since you picked up the fact that I am a fan of the medium: I do, actually, believe that. But then again, the beautiful thing about "hot takes" is that they are usually not elaborated on; I guess I'm learning from the kids on the internet, LOL. But, not elaborating is not my style.

What I mean by that is that premier, Hollywood-produced, "A-List" work definitely took a dive after the 70s. Naturally, you can still find plenty of excellent work, but in my opinion, it's not from Hollywood -- it's usually from foreign (I'm American, so "foreign" means non-American) directors or from smaller independent acts. And even then, you still get a major Hollywood production that's actually got a lot of artistic worth to it, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Since we're on a video game forum, I guess it's proper to equate it to the video game world. In the past, stuff from "AAA" companies still had a lot of experimentation and advancements in gameplay. Lately though, it feels as if innovations and advancements in gameplay have taken a back seat to other seemingly superficial production values. (The stuff in italics is meant to emphasize something that's clearly my very subjective opinion, and not meant to be taken as any sort of gospel.)

Anyway, all of this conversation has reminded me of someone else whose movies I'd watch with no questions asked, absolutely no conditions. He could be in a damn Michael Bay style movie, and I'd watch it.

images

That's Lon Chaney (Sr; there is a "Lon Chaney Jr."). To me, he's the undisputed king of silent movies, with apologies to both Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, of course. From all of the movies I've seen, the dude have not played a single "traditionally" appealing character; they're all tortured or messed up in some way. And he does such an absolutely amazing job, each time.

Again, to kind of equate it to video games -- silent actors had to make up for the "technological limitations" (in this case, the lack of sound) by innovating and putting a lot of extra work in their acting. And it paid off; I haven't watched one in a while, but I went through a period where I watched a lot of silent movies, mostly from the 20s.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
That's fair. I mean, Pulp Fiction did come out in the mid 90s, after all.
I mean 1994 had Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, Speed, Forrest Gump, Lion King, True Lies, Quiz Show, Dumb and Dumber, Ace Ventura, The Professional, Clerks, The Mask etc.......and Timecop and Street Fighter (which are timeless I must say).....great year.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I mean 1994 had Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, Speed, Forrest Gump, Lion King, True Lies, Quiz Show, Dumb and Dumber, Ace Ventura, The Professional, Clerks, The Mask etc.......and Timecop and Street Fighter (which are timeless I must say).....great year.
Good to see someone who loves Speed as much as I do. It often gets snubbed by people, but that's an example of a truly great fun action movie. 90's were something else for action flicks.

The bus jump scene alone is fantastic.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Sandra Bullock in short hair is bae <3
I wasn't sure if I was more jealous of Keanu or Sandra in that movie. I wish I looked as good as Keanu. Great chemistry between the two, always a surprise to me they never dated. Sandra Bullock was definitely a crush of mine for a short while.

Speed-1994-action-movie-Keanu-Reeves-Sandra-Bullock.jpg

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Nicholas Cage.

Both Mandy and Color Out of Space were awesome and I can't wait for Willy's Wonderland:

I love Nicolas Cage, but he picks some of the absolute worst films. I couldn't even sit through Left Behind for him. I have been glad to see him have a career resurgence of sorts, he's picking some better roles and showing he still has plenty in the tank.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Is the third one Tom Hardy? What movie is that from, he looks so different.

Good picks. Charlie Hunnam is awesome, and a tad underrated. Always enjoy him. The only thing he isn't too great at is doing accents. I watched Green Street, and it was so distracting at times.

kamkamkam

Is the third one Tom Hardy? What movie is that from, he looks so different.

Good picks. Charlie Hunnam is awesome, and a tad underrated. Always enjoy him. The only thing he isn't too great at is doing accents. I watched Green Street, and it was so distracting at times.
I'm pretty sure the Tom Hardy shot is from rocknrolla. Its a guy ritchie film from about 15 years ago. One of my favorites from him to this day.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure the Tom Hardy shot is from rocknrolla. Its a guy ritchie film from about 15 years ago. One of my favorites from him to this day.
Oh man, I forgot about that film, yes that was great. I remember it now, it had Gerard Butler in it. Pretty much every movie Guy Ritchie has made has been good. Especially Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

tumblr_me07cvIggR1rjm4q4o1_500.gif

HoodWinked

directors make much more of an impact on my decision to watch.

though thinking back I've probably enjoyed Christian Bale's performances more than others but I wouldn't say I've ever went to see a movie because he was in it.

88BA2D7E11E9332273CCB5A8F55BD0AA8E2074CC

Barrage

Actors
Jack Nicholson
Michael Keaton
Micheal J. Fox
Gene Wilder
Danny Glover
(Runner-Up: Bruce Lee)

Actresses
Angelina Jolie
Nicole Kidman
Holly Hunter
Halle Berry
Salma Hayek

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone rates him in Peaky Blinders (Deserved) but it's 28 Days Later for me. Best Zombie film out there, Danny Boyle was a genius making them run. It upped my fear of Zombies tremendously. The slow and dumb ones can't quite compare anymore.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Its all bout individual taste i love so many cheesey films hell my fav is point break so much even called my dog bodhi lol
I like a good cheese fest as well. Most guys I know hate chick flicks for example, but I'll happily sit through some of them. I'm all set if I get a girlfriend that drags me to see them.

No Problem Thumbs Up GIF

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I like watching action movies so much. So my favorite actor is Tom Hardy! Especially I enjoy watching a Warrior film(I watched it at least 5 times LOL). As well I highly recommend you to watch Bronson and Venom! Peace!
Venom was great, not sure why critics slammed it so much. I thought Hardy did a bang-up job, plus a solid performance by Riz Ahmed.

Bronson is perhaps his best performance but certainly not an easy watch.

NahaNago

So my list would be
  • the rock
  • mamoa
  • arnold schw I give up
  • jackie chan
  • jet li
  • donnie yen
  • angelina jolie generally
  • tom cruise
  • vin diesel
  • steven seagal
So i like action movies this is why my list is like this. I really wish we had more female action stars these days. We do have that gina carano but she has not acted as the main character in enough action movies. Atomic Blonde lady is good as well forgot her name but she is more of an all around actress but i do love her in mad max and even that aeon flux movie. Hollywood might just needs to grab some more female actors from Asia for action movies but language barrier is the biggest hindrance.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
He was great in 28 Days Later! Also amazing as Scarecrow in Batman
Batman Begins is almost my favourite of the Nolan trilogy, I'll be honest. The Dark Knight is obviously incredible, but I honestly loved the origin story a lot. Liam Neeson was great as well in that movie. Plus it just had a darker tone which I loved.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Paddy Considine
Great shout. Dead Man's Shoes is a really well-made film, with such a memorable performance by him. I always thought this scene was incredible, the amount of anger displayed.

danowat

Banned
Great shout. Dead Man's Shoes is a really well-made film, with such a memorable performance by him. I always thought this scene was incredible, the amount of anger displayed.

I've not seen that film in ages, must watch it again soon!!.

Two of his standouts, at least for me, Tyrannasaur, which get's bonus points for having Peter Mullan, Olivia Colman (you could tell she was an oscar winner in waiting) and Eddie Marsden in it. and Journeyman, one of the best 'broken man' performances in a while.

Top Bottom