• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Orth no longer with Microsoft

mWwNasG.png

k7O2gug.jpg

Apology accepted.

Gies really is a peace of shit huh?

Anyway after the damage this caused as it got picked up by every somewhat gaming or tech media outlet it was inevitable he was going to get punished.

He was new in the job as well which probably didnt help.

No shock this news follows those positive Duango leaks earlier as well. MS is finally doing SOMETHING.

I wish Polygon would fire their writers who act like children on Twitter. Microsoft has higher professional standards than Polygon confirmed.

Can't say this is very surprising. After the stuff he said Microsoft had to start the damage control.

I'm sure he'll be fine... as long as he doesn't say more stuff to rile people up.

lol either he was already on the way out and did it with a bang, or he opened that big ass mouth way too much and dug too big a hole for himself

Majanew

Banned
It's his fault he no longer works for MS. He was a prick and his comments were public. He represented MS. It was basically like it was MS that was saying what he said. Can't have that.

I knew MS would use him as the sacrifice in all of this tbh. He will be ok. He'll land a spot somewhere.

Use him as a sacrifice? Err.... what as a sacrifice for his own mistakes? I'm not sure what you mean. The man sparked dozens of news stories on every major gaming site in multiple languages! He fucked up bad... and all over something stupid.

ido

one exchange was to a friend. The most of it was not

I don't think anybody is denying that he fucked up here. I just think most of his comments were trolling more than honestly being an asshole.

Losing your job for a few tweets is one thing, but the snowball effect this will probably have on his life/career is going to really suck for him, and for that I feel bad for him.

How was this not justified Arthur?

An employee goes out of his way to antagonize potential customers/consumers of a major company.

This was the only sane outcome.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Now that I think about it — part of this sucks because it was the internet, including GAF and Twitter, being a lynch mob.

But the other part of this has to do with how much his employer is able to withstand such a disaster, so Microsoft should share the blame too.

How is this different than when someone says something stupid and it gets reported on by the news?

In a way this garners even less sympathy because he willingly posted his dumbass ideas and opinions through a public venue.

It's like getting on a street corner, holding up a megaphone and shouting "Jews did 9/11" and acting surprised when people react negatively.

You can make a point without being such a douche. When you represent such a large company and such a large product the comments you make on social media regarding those devices can certainly be a reason for termination.

At least we can thank Orth for this leak we've just received today, I'm pretty sure it's an intentional leak to dispel all of the bad press MS has been getting, Orth was just the tipping point.

Shads

Since Microsoft is such a high profile company, I'm not that surprised he got fired. I'm positive they have a strict business policy conduct and social media usage should've been delineated there. At my company, the rule with social media is that you can't make any accusations or presumptions to any possible confidential work whether falsified or not in public space. And company bashing is a no-no, too. Otherwise, any other comments in regards to work is okay as long as it doesn't break any of the other rules. And the fact he probably signed a NDA as well makes it even worse for him plus the fact it went viral and gave negative publicity. At best, he could've gotten put on probation, but I think after the shitstorm it caused, they resorted to firing/force retirement. If this doesn't bring a sense of humility in him, then I have no sympathy for him, otherwise good luck.

Revven

Honestly, I'm not "celebrating" or "hating" or anything when I say this, but when you go onto Twitter and post what he did, you deserve to be fired. You're creating negative press for your employer, something that has been going on now for almost a week (now with rumors trying to counteract what happened last week) and is something that's now going to take Microsoft time to recover from.

Especially since Microsoft doesn't have their console unveiling conference dated yet and it may not even be for another month according to rumors. So trying to deflect the negative press, without the conference, isn't going to be possible for them. Microsoft can even assume they've lost a good amount of consumers from the press this created.

It's dumb what he did. Furthermore, not all of it was joking or trolling; Orth was only joking/trolling when it was in response to the Bioware employee (according to him). Everything else that isn't directed at him, could be taken seriously.

I feel a bit bad for him, but according to an event that happened in 2007, he said he'd learn from that mistake he made; yet here we are in a similar situation. Clearly he didn't learn anything from that. So how can I feel bad for him when he still hasn't learned anything? You only have yourself to blame for losing your job and ability to sustain yourself.

Sydle

Not surprised. His behavior was inflammatory and that typically doesn't fly for people in leadership positions.

I am not sure Gies fundamentally understands that saying dumb shit on public social media reflects back on your company.

It doesn't affect him and that's about as far as his sense of perception takes him.

Unless he's blaming the internet, like, as a concept. Like this wouldn't happen if it weren't for that darn old internet letting someone tweet out defensive reactions to unannounced features! It's all the internet's fault!

fallagin

How was this not justified Arthur?

An employee goes out of his way to antagonize potential customers/consumers of a major company.

This was the only sane outcome.

For a guy that fucking loves corporate overreach you'd think that he would be joyous at this news. The free market has spoken.

sflufan

Banned
He was terminated because of his comments regarding places such as "Janesville, WI" or "Blacksburg, VA" not because of any "secrets" he might have "leaked."

Companies tend to not like it when employees insult existing or future customers in that way.

Zeliard

Twitter really does have an amazing propensity to get unknowing people in trouble in their professional lives. It affects careers in industries as disparate as gaming and MMA. I would say it's up to companies to keep a tighter leash on social media, but some of this shit seems like basic common sense.

"Don't say stupid shit in public if you like your job" is a pretty universal rule, yet when it comes to Twitter, people seem to struggle mightily with the concept.

Top Bottom