• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Ruins Everything Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreavus

I know usually there would be a 100 page thread of people bashing each other over tipping

I think the video did a good job with that one. Pointing out the origins and limitations of the practice, while also stressing that in it's current form, it plays a big roll in supporting workers in the industry whether we like it or not. "If you live in America *brings out Megaphone* YOU HAVE TO TIP"

Adam did an interview about the show on another program, and one of the conclusions was that we can't necessarily escape the culture around us (like when Emily in the show says "... I still want that rock" even after learning about the origin of the engagement ring practice), but knowing more about it could give us the tools to engage and maybe start making those little shifts here and there.

I

Adam did an interview about the show on another program, and one of the conclusions was that we can't necessarily escape the culture around us (like when Emily in the show says "... I still want that rock" even after learning about the origin of the engagement ring practice), but knowing more about it could give us the tools to engage and maybe start making those little shifts here and there.

Here's the interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooaMfGu-qUk

komplanen

I am so confused about what he's making fun of. Is he really some SF hipster who thinks cars are bad or is he making of those people? If all he wanted to do was to explain the origin of the term then maybe he should try some other approach.

I've never been left this confused after a YouTube video and that includes the "women should have sex with dogs" video I saw recently.

clav

I am so confused about what he's making fun of. Is he really some SF hipster who thinks cars are bad or is he making of those people? If all he wanted to do was to explain the origin of the term then maybe he should try some other approach.

He's criticizing the term like he says in the video.

In the rest of the episode, he argues that overdevelopment of highways + roads don't improve road conditions and rather implementing better public transportation methods with sidewalks and bike lanes. Some cities in this world reduced the number of car lanes to encourage that philosophy.

See the I-405 and how people were led to believe that adding more lanes to a highway would improve congestion at the cost of billions of tax money. Basically, the invention of the personal car killed city planning/development. Parking lots are just wasted space.

komplanen

He's criticizing the term like he says in the video.

In the rest of the episode, he argues that overdevelopment of highways + roads don't improve road conditions and rather implementing better public transportation methods with sidewalks and bike lanes. Some cities in this world reduced the number of car lanes to encourage that philosophy.

See the I-405 and how people were led to believe that adding more lanes to a highway would improve congestion at the cost of billions of tax money. Basically, the invention of the personal car killed city planning/development. Parking lots are just wasted space.

Thanks!

Didn't know there were so many episodes. I don't like the guy but I see his point about wasted space.

whitehawk

Banned
I assume that was actually partly his point: they've recycled the College Humor videos for the show plenty of times and there is stuff still left to basically reshoot and frame around the show's narrative.
Ah okay. I've never actually watched the full episode, only the clips. I don't get trutv.

Keasar

Hope this gets renewed for a second season, it is just way too interesting! This death episode was great with lots of pointers to think of for my own death.

Either cheap, or make it a bloody spectacle, burn my body and shoot it out of a canon into the ocean with a silly sound effect and coloured sparkles mixed with my dust.

Chris R

Hope he gets another season. He's surprisingly entertaining and informative.

From scanning the TV guide trying to find the episodes I missed I'm surprised it got a single season on that shitty channel.

For some reason the first two episodes didn't air during the marathon last week, caught the other 10 episodes though, I love it, and enjoyed how it had an overarching story to the season :(

clav

Think I found something that could be used in an episode.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/b...t-up-tries-to-find-homes-for-the-rejects.html

Americans returned $260 billion in merchandise last year, up more than 66 percent from five years ago, according to the National Retail Federation. And a quarter of that was during the holiday season.

As e-commerce sales surge and free return shipping becomes the norm, shoppers are set to return even more this year — a cycle that started in earnest on Monday, the first weekday after Christmas.

Little known to shoppers, however, is that a majority of returned items never make it back to retailers’ shelves. Instead, the items wind their way through liquidators, wholesalers and resellers, many of the purchases ending up in landfills. According to some estimates, as much as two million tons of returned items — most of it undamaged merchandise — are thrown away each year, enough to fill over 200,000 garbage trucks.

clav

That doesn't sound like a Adam Ruins Everything bit, that's more This Week Tonight area of "This shit is just wrong."

Could work both ways. Adam does touch on some hard hitting issues in full episodes.

I'm saying he can use it as a source when he cites facts.

Right now I already see stores have Valentine's Day decorations put up. How much of that candy + paper gets thrown away every year?

Dreavus

Nice to hear about the second season. I really like what the show is doing.

Another thing I noticed was that they have changed/toned down some of the jokes from the CH skits to the full Adam Ruins Everything episodes; there are a few gags in the engagement ring episode for example that got switched out.

Joeku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom