• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Ruins Everything Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
I like this.

image.php

This is confusing. There are Adam Ruins Everything episodes on College Humor and TruTV? Are the episodes shared? Can I get every episode on both channels, or do I need to do some searching?

clav

This is confusing. There are Adam Ruins Everything episodes on College Humor and TruTV? Are the episodes shared? Can I get every episode on both channels, or do I need to do some searching?

His full episodes are available through your preferred e-store. Sucks we don't have a |OT| here for some reason.

Weekly bits are teasers/segments taken from those episodes. CH usually posts one full topic. TruTV posts bits.

His episodes are up on season passes for you cord cutters out there:

Amazon Video
Google Play
iTunes
Microsoft Store

The Beard

I thought his NFL playoff discussion was one of the most poorly done segments in the show thus far. He should have better explained what constituents luck. While there are certain variables that are unforseeable (like ball physics in a complex play), many aspects can be determined through micro assessment.

Even injuries, which can vary due to differences in human biology, have some level of prevention from training. While a player cannot control the actions of another player, there are responses that reduce the chance of injury. That said, I think it's near impossible to predict how the body responds to force in every scenario. That requires a level of analysis that seems unobtainable due to the complexity of the human body.

That was probably the show's worst episode.

Oh, so sports playoffs aren't predictable? The #1 seed doesn't win every single game in the playoffs? Wow, you really blew the lid off that issue!

His full episodes are available through your preferred e-store. Sucks we don't have a |OT| here for some reason.

Weekly bits are teasers/segments taken from those episodes. CH usually posts one full topic. TruTV posts bits.

I'm on Google Play and I do not understand how to buy the seasons. It's like something doesn't want me to watch it. Is it because I'm in Canada?

clav

That was probably the show's worst episode.

Oh, so sports playoffs aren't predictable? The #1 seed doesn't win every single game in the playoffs? Wow, you really blew the lid off that issue!

I think he was talking about the NFL, not other sports, unless I remembered incorrectly.

Same logic would apply to those one game elimination type sports. Not all the #1 seeds make to the final round.

I'm on Google Play and I do not understand how to buy the seasons. It's like something doesn't want me to watch it. Is it because I'm in Canada?

No idea. What about the other content providers?

The Beard

I think he was talking about the NFL, not other sports, unless I remembered incorrectly.

Same logic would apply to those one game elimination type sports. Not all the #1 seeds make to the final round.

He also talked about Baseball. Hockey is the same way. My point is, he didn't uncover/Ruin anything. We know sports are unpredictable, that's why people like them. If the #1 seed always won, nobody would give a shit about the playoffs.

clav

Emily ruins something again.

He also talked about Baseball. Hockey is the same way. My point is, he didn't uncover/Ruin anything. We know sports are unpredictable, that's why people like them. If the #1 seed always won, nobody would give a shit about the playoffs.

I think he was ruining the point that people believe the best teams are champions each year.

I'll agree he can articulate his argument better in that segment.

Why don't you do it? You're the most active in this thread already.

Not really a graphics artist. When I feel like it. We have GAFers who are talented at making OTs.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I was completely unaware about Luxotica's monopoly on the glasses market. Holy shit.

What are some good online glasses retailers?

clav

My experience with online retailers is they are fine for low prescriptions.

Tough if your prescription requires high index lenses with medium/strong correction (-5 or above).

I always find the PD off as ones I've ordered gave me ton of eye strain. Customer service is basically non-existent for very low cost ones.

Sucks that some of us have to forever buy one pair at a store every once in a while.

clav

Warby Parker.

Have you used them and what kind of prescription? Low/ medium/ blind?

I find difficult to recommend any online glasses retailer due to my own experiences. I remember when my prescriptions were lower, they were easy, but now that my vision isn't as good since I first started ordering online, I'm not so sure any more.

clav

Yes. I don't know my glasses prescription. Only contacts. -4 and -6.

I like them a lot.

Maybe I'll consider a second pair from there next time although as I said before, I've bought from a lot of online stores before they existed.

I think the defining factor is how bad is your astigmatism?

I guess if I were to give a recommendation, I like Costco's as they are consistent. Plus the eye exam there is cheap, and the doctor's office is open to everyone including non-members.

SillyJoe

Great show but all very obvious if you've ever done your research on these things (so far I haven't learned anything from Adam). Good educational videos for those not in the know though.

Great show but all very obvious if you've ever done your research on these things (so far I haven't learned anything from Adam). Good educational videos for those not in the know though.

The most informative episode for me was the car one. I had no idea that dealers had that type of monopoly, never really thought about it.

I also underestimated the impact that automobile had on city architect.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This dog episode is going to be interesting for me, I think. It's probably because I've rationalized having a Corgi, but the arguments against purebred dogs often take a specific worst-case scenario and compare them against an idealized and inaccurate best case scenario.

Like, I got my dog from a breeder that provided a family tree to show my dog's lineage is made up of dogs from non-related ancestors. I understand that doesn't get around the issue that, far back, the breed was heavily meddled with by humans, but I'd rather take that distant inbreeding versus what the common scenario for rescue dogs is: very, very recent inbreeding caused by people who didn't care enough to get their animals spayed or neutered.

If we go back in my dog's family tree far enough, there is undoubtedly inbreeding but she's probably 10 generations removed from it. I'm much more comfortable with that than a dog that is the direct product of two genetic siblings.

Beyond that, there's the whole other issue of giving irresponsible breeders and puppy mills an easy way to funnel their dogs out by creating a necessary shelter dog support system. To be clear, I love shelters, they provide a much needed service, and they're not all filled with the products of direct inbreeding, but the ideal should be for them to barely exist at all.

Dogs should be bred with purpose by responsible people and given to responsible people. But I know that can't always happen.

Glasses are definitely overpriced but they are not the same, I didn't get that part.

I do not live in the US though.

They are all mostly made out of the same materials and by the same manufacturer. They are all basically the same.

clav

I actually didn't watch yesterday's episode since I can't really have pets (allergies) nor do I want to keep picking up pet poop.

Interesting theory that will bother a lot of greedy animal lovers.

Davey Cakes

I loved the "Adam Ruins Malls" episode.

I've always wondered why I'm never impressed with outlet store clothing. So much low quality shit, with a few good things here and there. And I'm a GUY. I bet women have an even tougher time; some of their clothing feels (and looks) like cheap rags.

The glasses thing was eye opening to. I'm thankful I don't have to wear glasses...yet. The fact that Luxotica owns the entire cycle is completely messed up and exploitative.

clav

That was a depressing episode.

America has poorly handled a number of immigrants even though they have helped built the country.

As it happens I was thinking about this the other day and I think that it's even worse than that, it actually turns around cumulative interest. An S&P500 fund will generate 7% interest on average. A mortgage typically - current conditions excepted - has a rate higher than that. Meaning that you're literally losing money on a mortgage versus just saving more and putting it in an index fund. Because the cumulative interest on that would still be more than the change in price of your house, unless you're living in Vancouver.
Is this correct thinking or am I completely missing something?

Also, the latest episode should really make a good Emmy contender, campaign stuff aside. Especially bothering to do most of it in Spanish. It's weird to see that combo of "vile dehumanizing shit in recent history" and "greatest country" in US shows right after another though. Like, maybe you're not so great, and you never were? It would be weird if the Netherlands or Germany did that too.

I really hope they do an episode on the running industry though, since "humans are runners" is straight up bullshit and fits in with the hydration topic.

Dai101

Banned
I need to watch last night episode!!!!!!!!!

OK. Alreadt did.

FUCK. That last bit got me.

I knew how broke the whole immigration process was but not THIS MUCH. Also some bits of history i didn't knew got me mad.

I love this show.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Finally got around to watching this week's episode. I feel like they really need to make the middle portion available for free on YouTube. People in the US are just straight up unaware of the amount of abuse Mexicans and Mexican Americans have received from the US government throughout history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom