• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler interview: Xbox One's DRM, Always-Online

The annual spending on games in the USA for new retail games in 2012 was $7.1 billion, which represented about 48 percent of the total of $14.8 billion spent on games.

The other revenue, according to NPD estimates, includes used games at $1.59 billion, digital games and DLC at $2.22 billion, subscriptions at $1.05 billion, social network gaming at $544 million, game rentals at $198 million, and $2.11 billion in mobile game sales.

A ton of people are buying used games, in the United States, so this DRM that precludes selling/buying pre-owned games like in the previous gen will have a visible negative effect on the sales of the XBoney.

Klocker

Maybe theyre posting from their phone, maybe theyre posting from school or work internet. just having access isnt the same as having consistent, reliable and fast access without caps.

Youre right a lot of the world does use the internet for everything. Which is why making a box completely reliant on it is completely fucking stupid when a lot of the world hasnt gotten its shit together with this. If you think Microsoft is going to push the world forward with this when broadband infrastructure is so monopolized and stagnant, you should reconsider that thought.

Times are changing, but theyre not changing fast enough. We were talking about this DD future five years ago and its still not happening any time soon at the rate things are going.

good post,

I understand that the infrastructure is not there yet for everyone but it is the need that will drive the change...

I am having a hard time believing that GAF-global has a large number of people who do not have an internet connection at home beyond their phone? one that only has to come up once every 24 hours for 5 minutes at a time? If this is true than I guess I do live in milk and honey land by comparison

macewank

no I am seriously asking. How are people connected today talking on GAF if they do not have access to an intenet connection

I realize a small minority of people in first worls countries do not have internet in remote areas. But anyone surely within a first world county and not remote can access the internet somehow?

Because you know it's kind of a big deal today not just for game machines

And a lot if those xnoxes not connected are due to simply not having WiFi built in or being in a second or third bedroom without household coverage... Times are changing, this is not a kids room box anymore. These are living room boxes

You know.. one of the coolest things I remember as a kid was a road trip to Florida (I'm in IL) with my brother and my dad where we hooked a power inverter up in the van and my brother and I played Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros for the entire 18 hour trip.

while I understand that's an edge case, that type of thing is not going to work with the xbone. that's kind of disappointing, because I'm sure there's a kid/person somewhere that wants to do the same thing.

oh geezus Christ it's not condescending stop that victim stuff please... it's reality man... so if your iphone connects do you not have the ability to get a cell provider connection for home or is that a US thing?

Where in the world are you located?

how long has it been down? does it go down every week? I'm just saying most people are probably over reacting to that and making a point... yea I get it the internet is not always up but to say most people (who might buy this device) can not have any connection to it nearly every day is disingenuous.

It isn't really about our internet, it's about their internet. As it stands, it is impossible to buy a Xbox one game, you only rent it until the day the servers go dark.

Klocker

A ton of people are buying used games, in the United States, so this DRM that precludes selling/buying pre-owned games like in the previous gen will have a visible negative effect on the sales of the XBoney.

and what kind of voodoo magic will Sony use so that their games are licensed and can play on machine without being in the disk slot?

nib95

Banned
and what kind of voodoo magic will Sony use so that their games are licensed and can play on machine without being in the disk slot?

Why would the game need to be played without the disc in the machine? Download games are not the same as physical retail games.

Just have authoring done via the disc, as it is today.

Chaplain

After watching this interview and the Address the Sess: XBOX ONE Edition! Used Games, DRM, Always Online, I am starting to believe that Adam is bias towards MS. It just seems strange that he has been justifying (spinning) multiple problems that many see with Xbox One. Why would Adam want forced Kinect connectivity (the console will not work without it), forced online for single player games (24 hour checks), forced online activation for all games, and forced DRM unless he wants MS to win and Sony too lose. He then attacks Sony for not announcing what MS announced, and goes out on a limb by saying that they are probably going to force the same things that MS is forcing (in the youtube link I posted). lol

Klocker

You know.. one of the coolest things I remember as a kid was a road trip to Florida (I'm in IL) with my brother and my dad where we hooked a power inverter up in the van and my brother and I played Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros for the entire 18 hour trip.

while I understand that's an edge case, that type of thing is not going to work with the xbone. that's kind of disappointing, because I'm sure there's a kid/person somewhere that wants to do the same thing.

I agree, and have had many experiences myself.... nostalgic for a lot of people

but as I said and as the market has dictated (mobile games are starting to kick the crap out of console market) the shift is to a living room box and away form the kids room is for survival of the industry, not for fun. they are competing for a lot less piece of the entertainment pie

they really have no choice going forward to survive as will Sony

the kids room box is dying/dead except for retro gaming... even all the Steam- like boxes are going to need to be online, why are people not freaking out over them? PCs need to be online for the most part as well

Klocker

Why would the game need to be played without the disc in the machine? Download games are not the same as physical retail games.

Just have authoring done via the disc, as it is today.

Sony premiered their machine with fast game state switching. I assume they want you to be able to be in one game, have the PS4 save the state and quickly fire up another game from HDD to play when a friend invites you without stopping first game, switching discs, starting the game etc.

I know I do

Gamespawn

good post,

I understand that the infrastructure is not there yet for everyone but it is the need that will drive the change...

I am having a hard time believing that GAF-global has a large number of people who do not have an internet connection at home beyond their phone? one that only has to come up once every 24 hours for 5 minutes at a time? If this is true than I guess I do live in milk and honey land by comparison

Non-USA GAF, non-USA everyone that can read this message, please don't equate this users thoughts to the rest of Americans. We don't really think like this. Honestly.

Please accept my humblest of apologies on behalf of USA-GAF.
itsallgoodbaby!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
There was a study back in 2010:

According to data collected by The Diffusion Group, there's one area of the console wars in which the PS3 has a notable lead: The percentage of users online in the U.S. ,78 percent of PS3 owners have taken their consoles online, compared to 73 percent of Xbox 360 owners.

- Gamasutra

Chaplain

the kids room box is dying/dead except for retro gaming... even all the Steam- like boxes are going to need to be online, why are people not freaking out over them? PCs need to be online for the most part as well

People are freaking out because they are being forced to do something that they do not want to do. No one likes to be forced against their will. That is what MS is doing, and that is why many have turned against them.

Klocker

Non-USA GAF, non-USA everyone that can read this message, please don't equate this users thoughts to the rest of Americans. We don't really think like this. Honestly.

Please accept my humblest of apologies on behalf of USA-GAF.
itsallgoodbaby!

please I am the least xenophobic person I know in this country (besides you) and have friends in other parts of the word.

I am asking a serious question. since people seem so passionate about this issue and have such outrage.... People seriously do not have an internet connection at home that is up at least 4 minutes a day?

I can't believe how wrong I was.

I just refused to believe that Microsoft would put measures like this in place without developer and publisher backing. It was just TOO stupid a move. I mean, we haven't had announcements at E3 yet, but the only titles that would blind people to the stupidity are already confirmed to not be exclusive.

I have many apologies to make, and anyone reading this post, you know who you are, so I apologise. Further back, I also need to apologise to Amirox. I told him that I was almost certain Kinect wouldn't be required to make this box turn on.

I've said along that all these moves don't really affect me personally, but Microsoft really has committed commercial suicide here.

Astonishing. I'm genuinely staggered.

Dude, you're seriously a good egg for this. More people need to be this fucking classy.

Klocker

People are freaking out because they are being forced to do something that they do not want to do. No one likes to be forced against their will. That is what MS is doing, and that is why many have turned against them.

that is actually illogical to me, sorry.

Chaplain

that is actually illogical to me, sorry.

Maybe this will make sense:

- Forced online activation for all games (Forced on to the consumer)
- Kinect needed to be plugged in for Xbox One to function (UK marketing director Harvey Eagle has said that the console will not function without Kinect connected) (Forced on to the consumer)
- Non-replaceable Hard Drive (Forced on to the consumer)
- Complex used games system that is anti consumer (Forced on to the consumer)
- Console that needs to be connected to internet every 24 hrs to play games (Forced on to the consumer)

jmood88

After watching this interview and the Address the Sess: XBOX ONE Edition! Used Games, DRM, Always Online, I am starting to believe that Adam is bias towards MS. It just seems strange that he has been justifying (spinning) multiple problems that many see with Xbox One. Why would Adam want forced Kinect connectivity (the console will not work without it), forced online for single player games (24 hour checks), forced online activation for all games, and forced DRM unless he wants MS to win and Sony too lose. He then attacks Sony for not announcing what MS announced, and goes out on a limb by saying that they are probably going to force the same things that MS is forcing (in the youtube link I posted). lol

It's really annoying how anytime someone doesn't share in the outrage on here, they are considered to be biased.

Gamespawn

please I am the least xenophobic person I know in this country (besides you) and have friends in other parts of the word.

I am asking a serious question. since people seem so passionate about this issue and have such outrage.... People seriously do not have an internet connection at home that is up at least 4 minutes a day?

Some people live in areas of the USA that only have access to satellite and or dial-up. People move, but, that's still multiple days waiting on service installation without the use of something you paid for and should work. Throw in the whole Sim City fiasco where it wasn't playable for like a month and you should see problems with this situation. Services go down.

Klocker

Maybe this will make sense:

most of those points are hyperbolized for maximum impact.

the fact is we don't even have the details of how it works yet, the used game or internet and nobody is bothering to understand that to do gaming form the HDD without a disc -in a world where people still want discs to trade in- something has to change and licensing is part of that. MS has said they will give people a chance to trade in used games... that is beter than DD only is it not?

Again Sony needs to solve this problem too they just have not talked about it yet

Chaplain

It's really annoying how anytime someone doesn't share in the outrage on here, they are considered to be biased.

I do not know about other instances, but in this one it seems bias. My wife even said that she has thought he has been bias toward MS after listening/watching all of the Adam videos that I have watched.

Journalists are suppose to call it like they see it. They are not to pick sides, but are their to protect the consumer. Adam doesn't seem to be doing that from my point of view.

Because he's shit on a stick that everyone here likes for some reason. Want the real stuff? Watch Angry Joe on you tube. Not a schill or "industry insider" And definitively not a fucking apologist for horrible companies doing horrible things.

Klocker

Some people live in areas of the USA that only have access to satellite and or dial-up. People move, but, that's still multiple days waiting on service installation without the use of something you paid for and should work. Throw in the whole Sim City fiasco where it wasn't playable for like a month and you should see problems with this situation. Services go down.

yes I understand there will be times in people's lives where it will be inconvenient, hell there will be times in my life where it will not be optimal or could outright suck. I get that. I am just willing to take the risk for a new future of gaming rather than try to cling to the past.

I want fast game switching, I want DD gams only. I want the same or better functionality of what I get on my smartphone or you can get on a tablet but on my tv... and they were mentioning possibly TRADING in DD copies of games?? that to me is huge step in consumer friendliness. Where else can you trade yor used DD copy of anything for credit?

MaulerX

Really? Microsoft is not "forcing" you to do anything. They'll do their best to convince you to buy the X1, but they're not forcing you to buy one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is this being handled by the same personnel that handled the Xbox 360's design and launch? How much turnover has there been on the decision-making level since 2005 with the Xbox brand?

Nope. All of them left by 2007. J. Allard being the biggest one that left shortly after the launch of the 360 for Zune, the Surface, then left MS completely.

Five or six months before it launches and with things still not locked down? Like I asked in another thread, where's the outrage Sony still hasn't clarified things...they've had three months.

Well they haven't had a recent event touting their console. If by E3 they still haven't clarified everything we'll be ready with the pitchforks as well.

jmood88

Because he's shit on a stick that everyone here likes for some reason. Want the real stuff? Watch Angry Joe on you tube. Not a schill or "industry insider" And definitively not a fucking apologist for horrible companies doing horrible things.

Because a guy whose Internet persona is based around being angry is the most appropriate person to listen to when trying to find news about a console.

Exis

I live in the middle of nowhere for at least another year with satellite internet that is capped at 20 gigs.. 20 gigs I need for my job. I can't buy an Xbone or PS4 if they require an internet connection. At least with steam I can download games in the window where my connection is not capped.

I remember this guy from the ending credits of Stranglehold, years ago. You don't forget a name like that.

So the X1 will quickly scan the games you are licensed to have and then no longer need to touch the internet again for 24 hours unless you insert a never before played game? I guess it doesn't need to be high speed in that case but what happens if you go over 24 hours?

I kind of feel like if you don't have internet in 2013 no matter if you can afford it or not, the Xbox One probably isn't top on your list of priorities in your life.

R-User!

If my Internet goes down while I own an X1, will Microsoft credit me for the days I can't access the Internet to play my games?

If I have no Internet, I can't play my games or access Live features. Shouldn't they credit me some of my live subscription fees for however many days my Internet goes down?

I know they won't...

whitehawk

Banned
Because there are people who own multiple consoles and use the same account.
Exactly... so that means it's probably less than 40 million systems that have been online as you need at least a silver account to go online.

edit: there's a chance those numbers are US only.

Chaplain

reminds me of windows 8.

I see what you are saying.

That being said, Sony is in a great position right now. All they have to do is do the opposite of Microsoft. Let Microsoft continue to force their will on to consumers (if they buy their console); while Sony can give consumers the choice to do things their own way.

Matt Booty: If I come over to your house and I play with my profile, then I'm going to be able to use that game. If you want to play with your profile, that's as if you're buying the game.

So if Hydro Thunder Hurricane 2 comes out for Xbox One, you'll need to buy $60 worth of licenses to have a 4-player splitscreen gaming session, where it was only $15 on 360?

Top Bottom