• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler interview: Xbox One's DRM, Always-Online

Pennywise

I want fast game switching, I want DD gams only. I want the same or better functionality of what I get on my smartphone or you can get on a tablet but on my tv... and they were mentioning possibly TRADING in DD copies of games?? that to me is huge step in consumer friendliness. Where else can you trade yor used DD copy of anything for credit?

YEAH, YOU WANT IT.
That doesn't mean the rest of the world wants it as well.

The movie industry and the music industry are having a split market as well.
You don't need one extreme, you can also have both, the physical media and the digital media and it's working well this way.

People are freaking out because they are being forced to do something that they do not want to do. No one likes to be forced against their will. That is what MS is doing, and that is why many have turned against them.
But it's something they're already doing.

To not have an internet connection but have a modern game console is pretty rare these days. I figure those who fall through the cracks are acceptable losses to MS and I will guess, probably only buy used if they even buy games regularly at all.

If all they're asking is to touch bases every 24 hours, I don't see that as a bandwith killer for the folks with limited access.

After watching this interview and the Address the Sess: XBOX ONE Edition! Used Games, DRM, Always Online, I am starting to believe that Adam is bias towards MS. It just seems strange that he has been justifying (spinning) multiple problems that many see with Xbox One. Why would Adam want forced Kinect connectivity (the console will not work without it), forced online for single player games (24 hour checks), forced online activation for all games, and forced DRM unless he wants MS to win and Sony too lose. He then attacks Sony for not announcing what MS announced, and goes out on a limb by saying that they are probably going to force the same things that MS is forcing (in the youtube link I posted). lol

Did you even watch the full video? He played moderator and was impartial for a while sure, but he went in on Microsoft several times, calling them on their bullshit.

Totally unrelated.

Chaplain

To not have an internet connection but have a modern game console is pretty rare these days. I figure those who fall through the cracks are acceptable losses to MS and I will guess, probably only buy used if they even buy games regularly at all.

I think the issue is that people are now being told that they have to have an internet connection for Xbox One. Conjecture here: I would assume this might also mean an Xbox live account, and maybe even Xbox Gold. MS would eliminate this problem if they gave people the choice. Let's not forget forced Kinect on top of forced online.

If all they're asking is to touch bases every 24 hours, I don't see that as a bandwith killer for the folks with limited access.

I do not think bandwidth is a problem (for many people). The problem is that they want to force the internet connection for DRM and probably other things that they are not going to tell the consumer (like advertising and other things).

I agree, and have had many experiences myself.... nostalgic for a lot of people

but as I said and as the market has dictated (mobile games are starting to kick the crap out of console market) the shift is to a living room box and away form the kids room is for survival of the industry, not for fun. they are competing for a lot less piece of the entertainment pie

they really have no choice going forward to survive as will Sony

the kids room box is dying/dead except for retro gaming... even all the Steam- like boxes are going to need to be online, why are people not freaking out over them? PCs need to be online for the most part as well

And keeping a business model alive is MY problem? There's no guarantee an industry won't just...disappear - even video games.

Take it from me, I work in radio.

As for Sessler being biased - I had that vibe too, but while watching his Address The Sess last night, he mentioned he's mainly a PC gamer, where what the Xbox One is going for is fairly common, so I think he's coming from a place where this doesn't seem all that unusual.

Coen

No idea if anyone has mentioned this but why can't the gaming media ask the correct fucking questions?

It's a cynical view, but I do believe most of the media doesn't see the practical nuisances because they don't have to buy or borrow games to get to experience them.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's not about affording internet, it's about the availability of the internet. How you can afford something that isn't available in your area? Also, a lot of massive homes are based in rural areas, in the countryside, which doesn't have consistent internet connections. And they are very expensive.

When me and my wife go visit her family's farm in Iowa, we like to bring our PS3 with us so we can play game when it gets boring staring at the beautiful countryside after a few days. Her parents don't have internet, and they can't get internet due to the location of their farm.

Her sister has internet at her farm, but it's closer to the city than her parents.

As much as I love visiting her family (they're awesome), it sucks balls not having internet. Aside from my internet here in LA being shit on a regular basis, visiting the farm for a month is going to be awful with an always online console that locks me out of playing single player games if I can't connect every 24 hours.

Top Bottom