• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler interview: Xbox One's DRM, Always-Online

Orca

Because that is such an unimportant detail. Jesus, Microsoft.

Five or six months before it launches and with things still not locked down? Like I asked in another thread, where's the outrage Sony still hasn't clarified things...they've had three months.

GQman2121

Banned
My question to Booty would be to walk me through the exact process of how I play a game once I put a disc into the machine. Step by step, how does everything work, and what exactly is happening before I pickup the controller, or talk, or wave my hands, or whatever the fuck their making you do to reach the content. What is the machine doing during all of that.

prwxv3

Their evasiveness should fully explain their motives.

"blah blah blah advantages of the cloud blah blah blah i must know what my friends are doing at all times blah blah blah" i.e. NEXT GEN DRM, FUCKERS

Cloud Computing to create bigger more detailed worlds and better AI.

Paches

Yep. Which tracks with everything we've heard and reported about Microsoft being behind.

Surely they wouldn't let it get pushed back that far though. I imagine they will go with the most restrictive set of policies and slowly back away from them as time goes on or people get pissed when it is a reality.

I just hope the games press doesn't let Microsoft get away with a fast one and the IGNs and Kotakus of the world forget about these huge issues in the continuing months.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How long until the mainstream press picks up on this issue? I feel like the Used Game block and the DRM verification are things that might actually spread further than just forumgoers.

Kusagari

Their evasiveness should fully explain their motives.

"blah blah blah advantages of the cloud blah blah blah i must know what my friends are doing at all times blah blah blah" i.e. NEXT GEN DRM, FUCKERS

The only guy to give anything close to straight answers was Harrison and MS instantly tried to backpedal on that by saying it was only options they haven't chosen yet.

That should tell everyone what the real story is here.

nib95

Banned
Yep. Which tracks with everything we've heard and reported about Microsoft being behind.

Read this before, but it all seems more poignant now given you guys were right about all your other rumours.

So this new Respawn game really is a Microsoft next gen exclusive? I wonder how much that cost Microsoft or the arrangement they have? Pretty big catch either way.

i-Lo

Phil says it works offline but after 24 hours your parmesan is nibbled away and now this guy muddies the water even further.

It's like they have no internal communication. Reminds me of the old elephant that used to be Sony.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The arrogance of these people...

Damn.

bon

So he's confirming that retail games are tied to an account, like Harrison was saying. I'm still in disbelief. This is a poisonous feature. This console is terrifying.

Snaku

Banned
This PR bullfuckery is the worst thing that MS has done during this whole event, even worse than the reveal conference itself. You made it the way you wanted it, so give us straight answers and own this thing. Be a fucking man about it, Microsoft.

hwy_61

Banned
This whole, needs to be connected once a day, thing sounds fucking retarded. That just means you're ALWAYS going to have to be connected, no? What are you going to do, disconnect from the internet, then reconnect when it prompts you to?

I take what Harrison said as a yes to always online.

ironcreed

Banned
I tell you what, I am about sick of hearing all this beating around the bush, while dancing around the questions. It's obvious what they are doing and the pathetic attempts at damage control is beyond insulting. I really hope they dig their own grave over this mess.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This PR bullfuckery is the worst thing that MS has done during this whole event, even worse than the reveal conference. You made it the way you wanted it, so give us straight answers and own this thing. Be a fucking man about it, Microsoft.

They want to fuck you and they want you to like it. They need all this double speak to accomplish that.

Iacobellis

Read this before, but it all seems more poignant now given you guys were right about all your other rumours. So this new Respawn game really is a Microsoft next gen exclusive? I wonder how much that cost Microsoft or the arrangement they have? Pretty big catch either way.

I don't know if having a brand new IP from a new developer will help make a dent in sales. The general public doesn't know which Call of Duty developer is which, they just know the name of the game. If Gears had failed, the 360 still had Halo to back it up.

UberTag

"Hey, you hardcore fans... it's the modern era. Power of the cloud.
All of your concerns are shit because, hey, it's 2013.
Games are locked to your profile now. Just like on a smartphone & Steam. You should like that.
Ditto for needing the Internet. Fuck you if you live in Janesville, WI or Blackburg, VA... why would you even live there anyway? Move somewhere else, you tool.
In the military or in a college dorm where you're unable to get a solid signal? What the hell are you doing wasting time with games anyway? You have more important things to do."

Have I got all of this straight?

Pennywise

Used from fabricated backlash where he used it in the Hryb Live Chat session topic.

5B7Pq1T.jpg

nomis

Cloud Computing to create bigger more detailed worlds and better AI.

Circa 2016 enter same hallway as in 2009 and headshot dudes hiding behind chest high wall, but in 900p upscaled to 4K and with ultra realistic forearm textures.

Foffy

Banned
I like how he equated "modern" society in America being bathed in high speed internet. This guy lives in fucking la la land.

hwy_61

Banned
This shit is going to be so busted at launch. I advise my fellow GAF brethren to wait a month before you buy this console.

i-Lo

I just le wild thought: Are they trying to metamorphosize Halo franchise into having something that'll have the following Star Trek/Star Wars?

USC-fan

Banned
NO the "24hr check in" is needed to download the extra POWER from the cloud. If you dont check in within 24 hours you console loses 400% of its POWER so its cannot even run xbone game with that little POWER.

POWER OF THE CLOUD IS THE REASON FOR THE CHECK IN!

DRM has nothing to do with it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Matt Booty: If I come over to your house and I play with my profile, then I'm going to be able to use that game. If you want to play with your profile, that's as if you're buying the game.

That right there is the dealbreaker for me. Fuck :/

The non-answer on the single player experience, which is all I care about (yes, in 2013, there are still some of us that just play a game by themselves with no interest in online multiplayer), is all I need to know.

I'll get the Wii U for my Mario/Zelda/etc. fix and consider returning to the Playstation fold.

Godslay

Banned
"Hey, you hardcore fans... it's the modern era. Power of the cloud.
All of your concerns are shit because, hey, it's 2013.
Games are locked to your profile now. Just like on a smartphone & Steam. You should like that."

Have you bought games on any of those platforms? Or PSN, XBLA, or IOS?

ironcreed

Banned
This whole, needs to be connected once a day, thing sounds fucking retarded. That just means you're ALWAYS going to have to be connected, no? What are you going to do, disconnect from the internet, then reconnect when it prompts you to?

I take what Harrison said as a yes to always online.

Like Phil Fish said, it's a DRM nightmare machine... period. They are merely trying to put a friendly face on it. This is precisely the reason that EA dropped the online pass just days before the event they just so happened to be at as well.

Five or six months before it launches and with things still not locked down? Like I asked in another thread, where's the outrage Sony still hasn't clarified things...they've had three months.

It seems like every negative XBox One thread has at least one person going "well why doesn't anybody hate Sony either?"

The difference, to me at least, is pretty obvious. Sony's PS4 reveal was all about games and gaming: they showed games and gameplay, they showed features that would appeal to gamers and had to do with gaming. They were upbeat, and most importantly they knew what they were doing (or at least acted like it). When asked questions after the conference, they gave concrete responses.

Microsoft, on the other hand, their conference had absolutely nothing about games. They also had a shit-ton of rumors about their console that they didn't address during the presentation, something Sony didn't have because their announcement came much earlier. So instead of answering the rumors in the actual event, they left it to PR speak and interviews afterwards, except the PR apparently has a stranglehold on details still so they're only giving vague responses. They're coming across as incompetent and, more importantly, like they're trying to spin anti-consumer decisions into a positive and get hype for the console BEFORE they release the full bad news.

Honestly, the reason Microsoft's in such a hole is because of all the leaks and bad press before their reveal, and the fact is since the reveal they haven't really clarified any of the rumors which is just making it worse.

Adam Sessler: ... if you have a truly solitary single player experience, would that require an internet connection?

Matt Booty: I think we're going to...

I feel like this was pertinent but wasn't bolded in the OP. It seems to directly say that yes, they are going to require an internet connection for a "solitary single player experience"?

raven777

Matt Booty: If I come over to your house and I play with my profile, then I'm going to be able to use that game. If you want to play with your profile, that's as if you're buying the game.

am I the only one disagreeing with this?

mbmonk

Bro, that's the thing: the reasons you are disqualifying ARE the reasons. They're pushing the "infinite power" of the cloud to justify this further. The cloud can't even power backwards compatibility for this fucking thing.

LMAO :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Adam Sessler: ... if you have a truly solitary single player experience, would that require an internet connection?

Matt Booty: I think we're going to...

I feel like this was pertinent but wasn't bolded in the OP. It seems to directly say that yes, they are going to require an internet connection for a "solitary single player experience"?

If they plan on using the cloud stuff, they would have to.

jschreier

Scary how nearly every rumor is true at this point.

Yep. From mandatory Kinect to game installations to system specs, just about everything we've told you has been true -- except the "always online" thing reported by both Edge and Kotaku. Which makes me suspect - based on how Microsoft has acted, and based on some conversations I've had - that Microsoft loosened the system's Internet restrictions at some point along the way.

We've heard all along that there would be some sort of "pulse" that checks to be sure you're online. Maybe two months ago they planned to have the system check your Internet every two minutes or so. Maybe now they plan to have it check once a day. Maybe by the time Xbone actually launches, it'll be once a week, or once a month, or once an hour. Who knows? Microsoft really should make a decision soon, though, and get some better messaging out in the wild ASAP.

Iacobellis

Jesus Christ, imagine if the leaks never occurred and we wouldn't be aware of these policies until the console launched. That would be one huge disaster.

nomis

They want to fuck you and they want you to like it. They need all this double speak to accomplish that.

NO the "24hr check in" is needed to download the extra POWER from the cloud. If you dont check in within 24 hours you console loses 400% of its POWER so its cannot even run xbone game with that little POWER.

POWER OF THE CLOUD IS THE REASON FOR THE CHECK IN!

DRM has nothing to do with it.

Like Phil Fish said, it's a DRM nightmare machine... period. They are merely trying to put a friendly face on it. This is precisely the reason that EA dropped the online pass just days before the event they just so happened to be at as well.

EA drops online pass.

"Hey, EA is finally learning that being anti-consumer will fuck them in the end."

Microsoft announces console-wide online pass.

nib95

Banned
Good point made by someone above, if the cloud is this all singing all dancing thing Microsoft PR is claiming to to be, why the hell can't they use it to provide BC for 360 games on the Xbox One?

Squire

Banned
Saw this earlier. I sense an undercurrent of frustration in Adam's voice and I feel him on it.

The details aren't confirmed. For now, that's fine. It's not like I can go out and buy one today, tomorrow, next week, of next month. But Booty almost acts like it's no big deal at all. If you wanna stick to the guns of your vision and your intent that's great, but it's not surprising people aren't totally receptive and it's shocking he's so dismissive.

Gerstmann's interview with another guy who's name escapes me was much better. His passion came through. Booty is the physical embodiment of "No comment."

UberTag

Bro, that's the thing: the reasons you are disqualifying ARE the reasons. They're pushing the "infinite power" of the cloud to justify this further. The cloud can't even power backwards compatibility for this fucking thing.
Good point made by someone above, if the cloud is this all singing all dancing thing Microsoft PR is claiming to to be, why the hell can't they use it to provide BC for 360 games on the Xbox One?
No, you see... backwards compatibility requires Infinite +1 cloud power. We're not quite there yet.
Please purchase Xbox One Slim for Infinite +1 cloud power in 2016.

thank the gods for those leaks then because that made them severely go oh shit people are on to us, as long as the journalist hound these guys of their BS i think we just might be okay.

Amir0x

Banned
If Xbox 360 was the Xbox One, exactly how much of its userbase would they have given up with always online requirement? How many people never connected to the internet for Xbox 360? I know the number is considerable since I've seen the stat before

It's amazing they think losing even a quarter of that segment is worth whatever extremely limited gains they think they'd be making

Top Bottom