• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler interview: Xbox One's DRM, Always-Online

ironcreed

Banned
I find it funny that the same excuse that Adam Orth used is also being used now. "Well, that is just the world we live in." Even Don Mattrick said it yesterday when the always online question reared it's ugly head. Must be the official line, lol.

I'm so embarrassed for them fumbling through these answers when they've had months and months of time to clarify. Ok, so they can't respond to rumors about the console that didn't exist, until it was announced yesterday. Fine. Yesterday you announced it and you still haven't gotten the story straight or responded properly. Everyone said to wait until it's announced. Than happened and the thing is still a clusterfuck of unknowns.

hwy_61

Banned
Saw this earlier. I sense an undercurrent of frustration in Adam's voice and I feel him on it.

The details aren't confirmed. For now, that's fine. It's not like I can go out and buy one today, tomorrow, next week, of next month. But Booty almost acts like it's no big deal at all. If you wanna stick to the guns of your vision and your intent that's great, but it's not surprising people aren't totally receptive and it's shocking he's so dismissive.

Gerstmann's interview with another guy who's name escapes me was much better. His passion came through. Booty is the physical embodiment of "No comment."

You got a link for that Gerstmann interview, homey?

Pennywise

Yep. From mandatory Kinect to game installations to system specs, just about everything we've told you has been true -- except the "always online" thing reported by both Edge and Kotaku. Which makes me suspect - based on how Microsoft has acted, and based on some conversations I've had - that Microsoft loosened the system's Internet restrictions at some point along the way.

We've heard all along that there would be some sort of "pulse" that checks to be sure you're online. Maybe two months ago they planned to have the system check your Internet every two minutes or so. Maybe now they plan to have it check once a day. Maybe by the time Xbone actually launches, it'll be once a week, or once a month, or once an hour. Who knows? Microsoft really should make a decision soon, though, and get some better messaging out in the wild ASAP.

I bet the Adam Orth fiasco might played a role.
It was even covered in the normal press with quite a few articles.
Or maybe it was compromise because they feared the reactions over "big brother" Kinect as well.
There are quite alot articles in the normal German press that are arguing about it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Matt Booty: ...What I'll say is that we diffidently designed XBox One to take advantage of everything that the internet has to offer.
It's just such a shy, reserved box, you know! Just wants to connect to the Internet in its own, quiet way, after all...

Foffy

Banned
No, you see... backwards compatibility requires infinite +1 cloud power. We're not quite there yet.
Please purchase Xbox One Slim for Infinite +1 cloud power in 2016.

This will only work well for modern societies with fibre optic connections, electric cars, and be able to buy Google Glass for their entire cul de sac, right?

Archer

Booty, huh?

I wonder what his high school years were like.

first thing i thought of.

KuGsj.gif

Iacobellis

Yep. From mandatory Kinect to game installations to system specs, just about everything we've told you has been true -- except the "always online" thing reported by both Edge and Kotaku. Which makes me suspect - based on how Microsoft has acted, and based on some conversations I've had - that Microsoft loosened the system's Internet restrictions at some point along the way.

We've heard all along that there would be some sort of "pulse" that checks to be sure you're online. Maybe two months ago they planned to have the system check your Internet every two minutes or so. Maybe now they plan to have it check once a day. Maybe by the time Xbone actually launches, it'll be once a week, or once a month, or once an hour. Who knows? Microsoft really should make a decision soon, though, and get some better messaging out in the wild ASAP.

They don't have much time to get all of the policies straight. There are still a ton of things unknown to us about the console, such as games.

What I don't understand is how NOONE in the gaming press will lay into these people during their interviews and then publicly when they refuse to answer.

These aren't questions that should go unanswered, they should be held accountable by the press if they weasel themselves out of answering.
We all know WHY they won't answer, because they know they can't outright say it without backlash and think if they are silent and ignore it then it'll go away and people will accept it.

Because that's how it always goes in the gaming industry isn't it... everything goes away when the next big pr campaign for something else starts.

Klocker

its because their entire philosophy of the hardware was to be connected to the cloud computing and "making the Xboxone stronger over time" because they consider it modular. id you not see at the reveal when they showed the machine "Cloud Powered" graphic?

It most likely would be the last console they make for ten years.

Online was their strategy... the backlash is fucking them up big time

Squire

Banned
I find it funny that the same excuse that Adam Orth used is also being used now. "Well, that is just the world we live in." Even Don Mattrick said it yesterday when the always online question reared it's ugly head. Must be the official line, lol.

It's kind of shitty that they sacked him. Why fire him if you're going to parrot him two months later?

You got a link for that Gerstmann interview, homey?

You know it, dawg.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/talking-xbox-one-with-microsoft-s-albert-penello/1600-490/

USC-fan

Banned
No, you see... backwards compatibility requires Infinite +1 cloud power. We're not quite there yet.
Please purchase Xbox One Slim for Infinite +1 cloud power in 2016.

Well played

They are talking up cloud JUST FOR DRM. Its sim city all over again...

I know they haven't gotten this all figured out... but shouldn't they have some of this stuff figured out by the reveal? They had this date set ages ago, and it was even delayed o_O

Nert

What I don't understand is how NOONE in the gaming press will lay into these people during their interviews and then publicly when they refuse to answer.

These aren't questions that should go unanswered, they should be held accountable by the press if they weasel themselves out of answering.
We all know WHY they won't answer, because they think if they are silent and ignore it then it'll go away and people will accept it.

Because that's how it always goes in the gaming industry isn't it... everything goes away.

I'm far from a games press apologist, yet I've been impressed with how (rightfully) aggressive different outlets have been in pressuring Microsoft for better answers here. Eurogamer's interview with Phil Harrison comes to mind.

nomis

A disconnect timer, a la Sim City? Haha, of course it matters if it's 2 minutes or 2 hours.

ALLOW ME TO INTERRUPT THE SINGLE PLAYER EXPERIENCE YOU WERE ATTEMPTING TO BE IMMERSED IN VIA POPUP THAT YOUR INTERNET HAS BEEN OFFLINE FOR TWO MINUTES BECAUSE YOUR ISP SUCKS EVEN THOUGH YOU PAID 60 DOLLARS FOR THIS GAME DURING LAUNCH WEEK

Meanwhile, watch pirates still find a way to jtag this shit.

sobbing.gif

Klocker

Well played

no. they are talking up cloud because they want the machine to not matter in ten years and they want you playing the game off the cloud on any device through LIVE

DRM is just a convenient fact of digital rights and what the pubs want

So what happens when you have two profiles on one box? Clearly it knows its the same system and let's you play?

It looks like the HDD is not external so there goes my trick of popping of my HDD and swapping it while going to a friends house.

And in no way is playing your game on their profile like buying a new game.

nib95

Banned
no. they are talking up cloud because they want the machine to not matter in ten years and they want you playing the game off the cloud on any device through LIVE

Yea, Sonys after that too and is going about it via Gakai and backwards compatibility via stream even with the PS4. Microsofts method is far more unscrupulous and is clearly trying to pigeon hole in some new anti consumer and DRM orientated measures via this cloud computing trojan horse.

Orca

It seems like every negative XBox One thread has at least one person going "well why doesn't anybody hate Sony either?"

The difference, to me at least, is pretty obvious. Sony's PS4 reveal was all about games and gaming: they showed games and gameplay, they showed features that would appeal to gamers and had to do with gaming. They were upbeat, and most importantly they knew what they were doing (or at least acted like it). When asked questions after the conference, they gave concrete responses.

Microsoft, on the other hand, their conference had absolutely nothing about games. They also had a shit-ton of rumors about their console that they didn't address during the presentation, something Sony didn't have because their announcement came much earlier. So instead of answering the rumors in the actual event, they left it to PR speak and interviews afterwards, except the PR apparently has a stranglehold on details still so they're only giving vague responses. They're coming across as incompetent and, more importantly, like they're trying to spin anti-consumer decisions into a positive and get hype for the console BEFORE they release the full bad news.

Honestly, the reason Microsoft's in such a hole is because of all the leaks and bad press before their reveal, and the fact is since the reveal they haven't really clarified any of the rumors which is just making it worse.

So what's their used game policy? What about lending games? Is the Eye in every box? Games install to the hard drive while playing, but do you need the disc to play afterwards? If not, is it online authentication, tied to account, or something else? Yoshida, asked about used games, said - after conferring with a PR handler TWICE - that it would play used games. Days later that was retracted with a 'we haven't made a decision, are looking at things' response instead. Nobody's really questioned it since. Not a peep about Gaikai or the other things Tretton called 'partly aspirational' after the unveil...nobody cared to ask what parts were or weren't coming?

That's what I don't get. There's this "TELL US NOW!" mentality on the Xbox reveal, but Sony has been quiet on the same details for three months with nary a peep from Kotaku/Joystiq/Destructoid about what's going on.

I'm far from a games press apologist, yet I've been impressed with how (rightfully) aggressive different outlets have been in pressuring Microsoft for better answers here. Eurogamer's interview with Phil Harrison comes to mind.

That's what I'm asking. Where's that pressure on Sony to answer some of these same questions?

USC-fan

Banned

IN 10 YEARS! lol just too funny.

Sell that BS to someone else that doesnt understand how the internet/games work. Cloud is the reason for a 24 hour check in? GIVEMEABREAK...

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Nuts

when my brother lived with me, we would play the same games on the same PS3, with different log-in accounts(not PSN)...

so you're telling me, my brother is suppose to pay for that game again?(potentially)

So what happens when you have two profiles on one box? Clearly it knows its the same system and let's you play?

It looks like the HDD is not external so there goes my trick of popping of my HDD and swapping it while going to a friends house.

And in no way is playing your game on their profile like buying a new game.

Game can play on any profile on the "home" box.

whitehawk

Banned
If Xbox 360 was the Xbox One, exactly how much of its userbase would they have given up with always online requirement? How many people never connected to the internet for Xbox 360? I know the number is considerable since I've seen the stat before

It's amazing they think losing even a quarter of that segment is worth whatever extremely limited gains they think they'd be making
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/389080/xbox-360-life-to-date-sales-hit-759-million/

Microsoft has sold a total of around 75.9 million Xbox 360 consoles globally.

That's according to the latest figures released by the platform holder in a summary of its FY13 Q2 earnings results.

It also claims in excess of 40 million Xbox Live users, although it doesn't break down how many of these are free Silver users and paying Gold subscribers.
If these numbers are correct, Microsoft is basically throwing away half of it's userbase. Plus I'm sure many of those accounts are duplicates from the same person/console. I know I have like 4-5 accounts on my system.

Ponn

Banned
If Xbox 360 was the Xbox One, exactly how much of its userbase would they have given up with always online requirement? How many people never connected to the internet for Xbox 360? I know the number is considerable since I've seen the stat before

It's amazing they think losing even a quarter of that segment is worth whatever extremely limited gains they think they'd be making

Remember the chaos during the annual banning waves? Imagine this system in place and people having to replace their systems AND all their retail games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"

We all know WHY they won't answer, because they know they can't outright say it without backlash and think if they are silent and ignore it then it'll go away and people will accept it.

Because that's how it always goes in the gaming industry isn't it... everything goes away when the next big pr campaign for something else starts.
It's just an entertainment device. If MS doesn't want to give straight answers and that leaves you without the answers you want what more do you need to hear for a frivolous, luxury product? Move on, it's not worth "getting to the bottom of it". The best way to hold them accountable is just to move on and not give them the satisfaction of a sale.

nib95

Banned
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/389080/xbox-360-life-to-date-sales-hit-759-million/

If these numbers are correct, Microsoft is basically throwing away half of it's userbase. Plus I'm sure many of those accounts are duplicates from the same person/console. I know I have like 4-5 accounts on my system.

They must think that the number of pirates or people with chipped 360's is greater than the number of consumers they'd lose as a result of these new methods.

UberTag

Well played

At least Electronic Arts did us the courtesy of inventing a bunch of specific scenarios where the Cloud would be beneficial for SimCity even if all of it was BS.

Microsoft won't even do that. Instead they just go on about the infinite power of the cloud as if it's supposed to mean something great and beneficial when in reality it's only a check to qualify game purchase licenses and to data mine gamer user habits.

At least cite some gameplay application that only the Cloud can provide that we can potentially delude ourselves into thinking, "Yeah, my console probably can't do that on its own." Dazzle us with some persistent world so we go, "Holy cow! I need to get my Crackdown Online updates seamlessly. I'll never need to buy another game again. Thank you, Cloud!"

Rezbit

Booty, please.

trimlamo.gif

This console is going to be totally irrelevant in so many parts of the world, including first world countries. All the stuff they're talking about with internet (Australia's sucks arse) and TV (also terrible with an expensive as hell cable monopoly and no access to Netflix et al) means it will be shitty and gimped here. I really wish they'd just come out and properly address everything.

Top Bottom