• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler interview: Xbox One's DRM, Always-Online

Ya. Phil Harrison told Stephen that it's once a day: http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

Microsoft quickly backpedaled after that, saying that Harrison's statement is just one "potential situation." I suppose they haven't decided yet, which is perfectly fine. But it's ridiculous that they can't get their message straight.

Actually, i think that they have already decided everything in advance they are just PR controlling the damage.

Klocker

So tell me how you get to 24hr check in = cloud compute? If you are not online, cloud compute would not work.

Its just about DRM.

well for one 24 hour sounds a hella lot better than 3 minutes right?

the world fucking exploded over AO so they are softening the blow now because they need us to be online for cloud computing to work

But really if you are on every 24 hours you are probably on all the time anyway unless you have a problem, so they are counting on that when people get it home sand hook it up 99% of the time they will not notice nor have an issue

Nintendo handled the amazingly confusing Wii U E3s better than this which retrospectively makes me think higher of those E3s which I never thought I would say. What a complete and utter failure of communication on every single level.

Edit: There is no way MS doesn't know much more than they are letting on. This was the their test run right before E3 to try and get a hold of the message and they failed spectacularly. Just wait until they get on the much bigger stage of E3. We havent seen a thing yet.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. Just finished watching. So Xbox One is a blu-ray player if there is no internet connection. So fucking amazing.

Hilarious, indeed. Please GAF, don't buy this thing :/

I wonder how people can still ask if all of the rumors are true, it's pretty much confirmed at this point.

fertygo

I highly, highly, highly doubt it.

The way things are looking, I would wager no. It's like a giant shit sandwich that keeps on stacking Scooby Doo style.

Scooby-Doo-Sandwich.png

What. the. fuck.

There's many douche on XBL, but they'd can't play their expensive game just because ban? wow

Klocker

and really who gives a shit

I have been online every minute of my life for the past 15 years except for a total of about 24 hours

If my data connection on my smartphone goes down for two minutes I have a fucking cow... people are crazy about this

I'm not buying a console that requires an always online connection, or a console that blocks used games. Period. And I'm certainly not buying one that does both.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

I have been online every minute of my life for the past 15 years except for a total of about 24 hours

If my data connection on my smartphone goes down for two minutes I have a fucking cow... people are crazy about this

By that logic, it's good to know that everyone around the world shares your same experience and ease of access to high speed internet that doesn't have risk of failure or disruption of service!

Otherwise there might be some valid reason to, as you say, give a shit.

Sessler did good work, at least. This whole thing is seeming more and more like MS caught wind of the negative outcry, and is trying to postpone/stifle discussion by using the 'only a scenario' line of reasoning.

Pennywise

Since you don't give a shit about other people, for example those who don't have a stable connection, why should people bother giving a shit about you ?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Modern man vs uncivilized man. It's a battle of classes. A conflict theory.
So essentially, the Xbox 1 was designed to shoot itself in the foot, and shit itself in the pants.
Horray for some game modes offline, I can't wait to see what tic-tac-toe 3D brings to the table.
Oh, and we can watch movies too? Tremendous.

KarmaCow

Even if your connection was perfect, you still need to rely on Microsoft's end to complete the connection. Sony's network went down for a month and that meant games like Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 were unplayable due to similar always on bullshit.

GUYS, WAIT

You're forgetting; E3 is going to be all about the games, and Microsoft will "Woo" the core. "Woo" us so much we'll forget about all the shortcomings and obtrusive features.

I don't know about you all, but once they show off this "historic" game from Rare, I won't give a shit about any of this other stuff.

I can deal with one time activation for games (without the need to connect every 24hours for "checkups) and no used games with one caveat- games are sold at a much cheaper price, like their PC counterparts.

But ultimately, I just hope this stuff fucking changes between now and launch.

Klocker

By that logic, it's good to know that everyone around the world shares your same experience and ease of access to high speed internet that doesn't have risk of failure or disruption of service!

Otherwise there might be some valid reason to, as you say, give a shit.

Sessler did good work, at least. This whole thing is seeming more and more like MS caught wind of the negative outcry, and is trying to postpone/stifle discussion by using the 'only a scenario' line of reasoning.

I was channeling my inner Adam Orth

Really? I don't believe so. Sessler asked all the questions I wanted to be asked. The answers I heard from MS Rep was not convincing. All the answers were bullshit.

Well I think that's what he meant. The interview did nothing except give awful, unhelpful answers which in the end confirm everything we were afraid of.

despire

Matt Booty: I think we're going to- so in the absence of any internet connection, you're going to be able to play blu-ray movies, and there are likely to be some games modes that you'll be able to continue to play. But again, the XBox One was really designed to take advantage of the modern era where people have got high speed internet, where it's just all the advantages it brings in terms of the cloud, knowing what your friends are doing, online play and everything else that goes along with having an internet connection.

This part sticks out. Does he mean that you can continue to play (SP) if your internet goes out but you can't start anything if you're not already playing?

"So in the absence of any internet connection, you're going to be able to play blu-ray movies, and there are likely to be some games modes that you'll be able to continue to play. But again, the XBox One was really designed to take advantage of the modern era where people have got high speed internet"

This... This is madness!

THIS! IS! MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahaha, Wow they will let you watch movies without a connection, how nice of them. Ahahahahahhahahahahahha. Oh and "Some game modes" Whatever the fuck that means.

Are you working so obsessively to convince everyone else that this is fantastic and A-OK or yourself. There, there. It's okay. You don't need to engage in this extreme pre-purchase rationalization. Just buy it, and play it (when your internet isn't down) and love it as much as you want; nobody will try and stop you.

I forgot, everyone else has a perfect Internet connection like you. Think man.

This part sticks out. Does he mean that you can continue to play (SP) if your internet goes out but you can't start anything if you're not already playing?

Read the whole thing. There's obviously a time the console has to "check in" or reverify, we don't know how often that is though.

Klocker

Are you working so obsessively to convince everyone else that this is fantastic and A-OK or yourself. There, there. It's okay. You don't need to engage in this extreme pre-purchase rationalization.

no I'm fine thanks for asking... just amazed at the resistance to technological advancement over a perception of some personal attack here by MS to make a system that does things that have not been done before (cloud computing on a console and licensed disks and trade in system on console,) and assigning the boogie man to the reasoning

ironcreed

Banned
GUYS, WAIT

You're forgetting; E3 is going to be all about the games, and Microsoft will "Woo" the core. "Woo" us so much we'll forget about all the shortcomings and obtrusive features.

I don't know about you all, but once they show off this "historic" game from Rare, I won't give a shit about any of this other stuff.

That is indeed what they are counting on and is precisely why they are dancing around these questions, while trying to put a friendly face on everything until E3. Sorry, Microsoft, but the ship has already sailed on this monstrosity of a console for me. No game can wash away a shit stain of this magnitude. Hopefully others are smart enough to see past the bright lights as well.

whitehawk

Banned
so you watched the video on mute?
If the XBox truly didn't require an internet connection, they wouldn't say "Well you can watch blu-rays, and probably some game modes offline", they would be saying "Yes, all of your content will work offline with the exception of streaming services like netflix".

no I'm fine thanks for asking... just amazed at the resistance to technological advancement over a perception of some personal attack here by MS to make a system that does things that have not been done before (cloud computing and licensed disks and trade in system on console,) and assigning the boogie man to the reasoning
Cloud saving is awesome, forcing cloud only saving is not awesome. Online gaming is awesome, forced to be able to play games online is not awesome. You can do all of those "cool hip online things" without bing forced to be online, it's just I'm bullshit drmpractice that ends up hurting legitimate consumers.

UberTag

GUYS, WAIT

Of course. Because we're just sheep who can be bought with pretty graphics and hyped announcements (even if no actual gameplay innovations are showcased).
Because we'll never stand up for our principles and put our money where our mouths are.
Because we'll just bitch on forums and still line up with our wallets open on launch day anyhow.

In the wake of E3, we'll prostrate ourselves and forget all about this nasty unpleasantness. After all, we're the hardcore. We have to buy what Metacritic tells us to buy or we'll be missing out. Our friends will shun us and we'll be cast off from our social groups as infidels if we don't line up and take whatever is now deemed "the new hotness" by the moneyhatted Western media.

We have no minds of our own. And if we do... well, we won't be missed.

Top Bottom