• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ads on PS4 - it'shappening.gif

sangreal

Mine goes to the top level dashboard when I turn it on. Yours loads up the What's New section? Weird.

I don't think I changed any settings either...

Yes, I've tried it several times in the last few minutes. Always goes to What's New tile for me

Though again, I'm not bothered by these 'ads' at all. I just don't get why people are claiming What's New is a marketing section on PS4

edit: I don't know why anyone would claim there are no ads on XBO either. There are always 3 ads on the side of the homepage. Like the PS4, these are all ads for 'featured' content on the store. At launch they were tutorial videos instead though

Mine goes to the top level dashboard when I turn it on. Yours loads up the What's New section? Weird.

I don't think I changed any settings either...

Mine too! Only goes to the top level of the dashboard when I boot up. I have to actively go to the store or whats new before seeing any ads.

nib95

Banned
Why do people keep saying this like What's New is part of the store?

a) it's the first thing the PS4 goes to when you turn it on
b) it's the activity feed where you see what's new with your friends

That said, the ads don't bother me but I didn't care on the 360 either

It is not an activity feed where you just see what's new with your friends. It just hasn't been updated with very much promotional content. What's New even on the PS3 was also used for promo titbits, often actually even useful ones.

Also, The ads so far (to my knowledge) have never been on the top row of the "What's New" preview, so never the first thing you see anyway. You usually have to actually scroll in to actually see an ad.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
And here we go again with this enthusiast persecution complex without logic sentiment being repeated over and over. Try to think before you post. This one ad is in a particular "What's New" segment of the UI. You actually have to scroll in to and wade through it. It is not littered on the main dash or main UI navigation menu the way it was or is with the 360.

And how did it start on the 360? One little ad. Then another. Then 4 more. Then the next thing you know the main boot dashboard has as many as 4 ads, all larger than any actual functional element of the UI.

So, yeah, complain early, complain loud, and don't stop complaining until they are gone.

Stop it dead in it's tracks.

And, no matter what, don't listen to corporate apologists framing you as entitled, persecuted whiners.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Why do people keep saying this like What's New is part of the store?

a) it's the first thing the PS4 goes to when you turn it on
b) it's the activity feed where you see what's new with your friends

That said, the ads don't bother me but I didn't care on the 360 either
Mine goes to the last game I was playing (coming in from standby). The only way it goes to what's new is if I go there and even then I don't see ads unless I actually go INTO What's New.

nib95

Banned
And how did it start on the 360? One little ad. Then another. Then 4 more. Then the next thing you know the main boot dashboard has as many as 4 ads, all larger than any actual functional element of the UI.

So, yeah, complain early, complain loud, and don't stop complaining until they are gone.

Stop it dead in it's tracks.

And, no matter what, don't listen to corporate apologists framing you as entitled, persecuted whiners.

It was there in the PS3 too... In fact the "What's New" feed has considerably less adverts in the PS4 than it did in the PS3, where is was used solely as a marketing tab. Now it is used as a social, information and marketing tab.

fantomena

This reminds me off of the TOS change where somebody suddenly read the new TOS and thought that Sony had done a 180 and prevented people to rent games.

It's been there forever, it's been like that on the "What's New" tab on PS3. But now, for some readon, people are going crazy.

smh

- J - D -

1. The ads in the What's New section has been there since day 1 of the PS4 launch. It's not some new occurrence.
2. There are no ads anywhere else in the PS4 UI that you can just happen across without intentionally accessing them via PSN Store/What's New
3. Ads worked in a similar way on the PS3 for a long time, where they are listed under the What's New/Video section of the UI, and you had to stay on the actual button for it to pop up.

The sudden fervor over this by some folks here thusly seem disingenuous to me.

I'm perfectly fine with this, as long as they don't start plastering them all over the DMB. In fact, I like this better than the PS3 implementation.

King_Moc

Banned
Currently there are no ads on the main dashboard, and it defaults to the last played game when you switch it on. To see this ad you need to go to the 'What's New' section and scroll down. In the entire section I think this was the only non PS4 related add. Still, i'd rather they just got rid of it. If it isn't videogame related, i'm just not interested in having it splashed over my console.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I don't understand why having any ads at all is acceptable to anyone?

"Oh, it's just hanging out in this once useless section that now shows my friends' activity so that's ok with me. I'm sure they are just going to leave it there and it won't spread to the top level UI."

Why not just have zero ads, period? Are we somehow obligated to constantly have an ad somewhere at all times? Just get rid of the ad entirely, problem solved, and the console is better for it.

I don't have a problem with an entertainment device showing me an ad for a store that that entertainment device is designed to use. As long as it doesn't impede my ability to get to the item/content I want or alter how it's done, I'm fine.

Fredrik

"Oh, it's just hanging out in this once useless section that now shows my friends' activity so that's ok with me. I'm sure they are just going to leave it there and it won't spread to the top level UI."

Why not just have zero ads, period? Are we somehow obligated to constantly have an ad somewhere at all times? Just get rid of the ad entirely, problem solved, and the console is better for it.
Thank you, most logical reply I've seen so far.
And shouldn't they get enough money as it is now that online gaming is behind a paywall?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just to be clear: Can you set the PS4 to not go directly to the "What's New" section on boot up, like the PS3? If you're forced to look at What's New, that's pretty lame. If you can boot the PS4 and it goes straight to whatever is in the disc tray (movie or game), then I'm totally fine with it.

The PS4 by default doesn't go to What's New when you boot it up, it goes to the first game/app in the list to the right of it (What's New is always the leftmost item, it never moves around).

RdN

I never really had a problem with the ads on the Xbox 360's metro interface. I thought they were bad on the NXE, where the Xbox booted you on ads.

Now, the Xbox One appears to have the perfect balance, and so does the PS4.

Respawn

Banned
Odd, I seem to remember the threads complaining about the 360 having ads being much more hostile.

Nice one but the ads for 360 weren't hidden away in a app. What's new is hardly anything to raise your blood pressure about.
I never really had a problem with the ads on the Xbox 360's metro interface. I thought they were bad on the NXE, where the Xbox booted you on ads.

Now, the Xbox One appears to have the perfect balance, and so does the PS4.

Ahh that balance ;-)

The Lamp

I'd like to thank the people who didn't care about this with the Xbox 360 for encouraging Sony to dabble with this evil. :l

SingStar.jpg

Ethered.

Seriously, keep it to the store and we'll be cool. If not....

Fredrik

I don't have a problem with an entertainment device showing me an ad for a store that that entertainment device is designed to use. As long as it doesn't impede my ability to get to the item/content I want or alter how it's done, I'm fine.
OP shows a cinema ad though. Ads for games, demos, dlc, movies etc that are new to PSStore would be okay if I can turn off ads in the system settings, but ads for stuff only found outside the console and stuff I can't even use on the console is never okay imo.

stevil

So, I logged on to my PS4, went to the What's New feed and noticed ads for Warframe and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in between my trophies and stuff.

German PSN, PS+ sub.

Not sure what to think. Thoughts?

I'm not a add lover, but I don't mind these as long as they are entertainment / game related. This form, not a moving add but a pic with a link to an trailer is okay.

Because as consumers of media and entertainment, that is how we find out about things that may interest us?

In fact, I used the Hobbit ad to show someone the trailer just the other day. We were talking about it, I was playing PS4, and instead of having to switch over to my PC - I remembered I'd seen a link to the trailer in What's New and just his PS button, (which I'd seen before) scrolled over there, and showed her.

Now we are going to see the movie on Sat. So I guess the ad worked.

As long as it's contained within the "What's New" section (which is not just a friend aggregator, as some people seem to think) then in some cases, I actually enjoy it when it's relevant to my interests. If it's not, it's rather unobtrusive and I don't really care.

My PS4 doesn't boot up anywhere near "What's New", as others have stated.

BibiMaghoo

This has always existed in the 'whats new' section on Ps3. Something that can be disabled completely. On Ps4, you only see it if you go to look at the whats new. That is fine.

This being described as an advert is not only 100% incorrect, but exists as a counter argument only for those with nothing left to use. This is a game, under the game menu, playable as a game. I fucking hate that they put it there, I don't want to play it, but it doesn't have anything to do with adverts.

TyrantII

Not all ads are bad or the same. The social feed giving reminders of what just hit the Vario's app stores isn't a bad thing per say. Especially if say its tailored to let you know when dlc for your library hits.

If they start putting up ads for dew and doritos, yeah. No need for that. Misplaced ads are ineffective anyways.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Because ads aren't some innately evil practice and, get this, sometimes people actually appreciate seeing them.

The problem that most people have with ads is not that they exist but how pushy advertisers try to get with them regardless of personal relevance. There's no reason to fault advertising when it's done in a restrained fashion like this. I much prefer this over the often unskippable parade of corporate logos any time I launch a game, which has been a much more pushy ad practice in videogames for far longer.

Newlove

Coming from 360, I am quite surprised by the lack of ads in comparison. There's only 1 for a film I'm looking forward to and its hidden under the What's New tab.

Nymphae

Banned

Bolded is how I feel. There's no reason to assume they will spread out of that area at this time. If the ads are in a section I never use, I never see them. This makes them acceptable to me.

UNCMark

Banned
I'm looking forward to the hobbit so no problem here, haha. Coming from 360, I am quite surprised by the lack of ads in comparison.

Wait until the PS4 store starts behaving like the PS3 store. The first time I logged into the PS3 store and saw the entire screen covered in a gigantic Axe Body Spray ad I thought, "Well isnt that something." 360 has little non-content ads in the bottom corners, but nothing on the scale of the Axe ads. I don't mind content ads, but the other stuff bothers me. Not enough to stop gaming on consoles though.

Hopefully the PS4 store doesn't adopt that behavior though.

This being described as an advert is not only 100% incorrect, but exists as a counter argument only for those with nothing left to use. This is a game, under the game menu, playable as a game. I fucking hate that they put it there, I don't want to play it, but it doesn't have anything to do with adverts.

Can you delete it?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Riiiight, because Microsoft invented advertising.

No, because of guys like this:

tokyo slim said:
Because as consumers of media and entertainment, that is how we find out about things that may interest us?

In fact, I used the Hobbit ad to show someone the trailer just the other day. We were talking about it, I was playing PS4, and instead of having to switch over to my PC - I remembered I'd seen a link to the trailer in What's New and just his PS button, (which I'd seen before) scrolled over there, and showed her.

Now we are going to see the movie on Sat. So I guess the ad worked.

So, I logged on to my PS4, went to the What's New feed and noticed ads for Warframe and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in between my trophies and stuff.

German PSN, PS+ sub.

Not sure what to think. Thoughts?
So you go to "what's new" and get a list of things that are new?

Top Bottom