• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time movie in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

The biggest question is: Is Pendleton Ward writing it? Ever since he stepped down from being the main writer of the show, the quality has dipped.

Hope Ward is on board, the show has been up and down lately.

From the article.

"Cartoon Networks Studios will be involved in the production as will Ward, who will have some involvement in writing and producing the feature version."

Glad to see Ward is on board. I kinda stopped watching after some bad story decisions this, or last, season.

I was also kinda burnt out. I need to catch up.

G0523

From the article.

"Cartoon Networks Studios will be involved in the production as will Ward, who will have some involvement in writing and producing the feature version."
Involvement. But is he giving them ideas or helping set up the plot and jokes? There's a big difference.

I didn't mean to imply a connection. I stopped after the arm arc was causally brushed under a rug after being built up for seasons.

I've been waiting for season 6 to finish before burning through it. If that means what I think it means, this could prove to be a terribly disingenuous plot development that is at odds with Adventure Time's history of dealing with less kid-friendly themes with more honesty than the average cartoon. Basically throwing away the concept of consequence and making feel Finn more like a Looney Tune and less like a human being in the process.

That being said, I haven't seen what you are talking about yet so I might be overreacting.

sn00zer

I've been waiting for season 6 to finish before burning through it. If that means what I think it means, that is a terribly disingenuous plot development that would be at odds with Adventure Time's history of dealing with less kid-friendly themes with more honesty than the average cartoon.

Adventure Time Season 6 is far far more adult than any previous season even though the overarching plot is not. They sidelined the main plot for small stories that have no right answer.

vypek

Adventure Time usually comes back to characters and keeps their stories going on and the one character that has been shown that I want to see more of is Samantha. In the movie or the show. I'm curious about the demographic of the people who will go watch this in the theaters though. Seems like one of those cartoons that interests a really broad range.

trips

Neo Member
I've been waiting for season 6 to finish before burning through it. If that means what I think it means, this could prove to be a terribly disingenuous plot development that is at odds with Adventure Time's history of dealing with less kid-friendly themes with more honesty than the average cartoon. Basically throwing away the concept of consequence and making feel Finn more like a Looney Tune and less like a human being in the process.
Season 6 is nothing like that. Not to imply that they handled the arm plot well, because they didn't. If anything season 6 is TOO adult.

Yeah, Season 6 is uneven and I really don't like just abandoning what appeared to be the main plot, but it had some strong episodes and I really like a lot of the latter ones.

Hamlet

Involvement. But is he giving them ideas or helping set up the plot and jokes? There's a big difference.
Suppose we'll eventually find out how big a role he has hopefully. Do hope he has a big part in it though. Don't want another The Last Airbender type film please WB.

That being said, I haven't seen what you are talking about yet so I might be overreacting.

Yeah you're overreacting, Season 6 has been nothing like that. Probably one of the heavier seasons so far as Finn deals with the fact that his
Dad isn't what he was hoping for and is pretty much a dick.

ZoddGutts

The biggest question is: Is Pendleton Ward writing it? Ever since he stepped down from being the main writer of the show, the quality has dipped.

Yup, pretty damn noticeable drop. It's kinda gotten better recently now that things are moving with it's story/lore.

You know, it would make sense for franchises like Spongebob and Adventure Time to bring back traditional animation to cinema. People eating up those cartoons as kids, then developing an appreciation for hand-drawn animation as they grow older.

edit: Didn't realize Spongebob underperformed.

Welp. As long as the show continues I guess I can tolerate the movie being 3D.

Still though, I can't help daydreaming about what a glorious return to the artform a theatrical 2D Adventure Time film could be.

Spongebob did not underperform. The first movie at the height of the show's popularity made $85 million in its entire run, and this new one is at $129 after 3 weekends. It will likely end its run at almost double the gross of the original movie. AND it was marketed as a 3D CG animated movie, not 2d, so I'm not sure that's a good example of how 2d animation makes less, when they sold it as a CG movie.

Choomp

Banned
image.php

No kidding, there is an Adventure Time episode that reminded me of The Last of Us. It also happens to be my favorite.

You know Marcy, we really are the last of us

Oh my glob... this is going to be awesome!

I need to catch up on Adventure Time... last episode was the whole
Finn's arm being regrown from a flower thanks to a bee.

Tuck

What if it's multiple styles?
The show has done multiple styles. There was the 3D episode, the anime episode, and there's a stop-motion episode coming up.

None of those episodes were canon though.

Yeah, Season 6 is uneven and I really don't like just abandoning what appeared to be the main plot, but it had some strong episodes and I really like a lot of the latter ones.

It had a weird stretch of side-story episodes, true, but its back to being ace again.

The arm thing was mind boggling though. I'm reserving full judgement for when we find out what the deal is with the bee stinger in his palm is about, but yeah that was ridiculous. Worse than the whole Jake The Dad BS.

Adventure Time is a great show, but probably its biggest flaw is its refusal to go beyond the status quo for more than an episode, when it comes to those overarching plots.

No target date? The MLP movie was announced a few months ago but won't come out until 2017. I imagine that this movie will come out in the same year, though perhaps later on.

Though I wonder how they intend to solve the problem with the previous attempt at a TV movie, in that they couldn't find a way to make a long story work in a way they like it. Granted, they were being very gimmicky with the way they attempted to make the film, giving each segment to a different crew to do with it as they pleased.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
No target date? The MLP movie was announced a few months ago but won't come out until 2017. I imagine that this movie will come out in the same year, though perhaps later on.

Though I wonder how they intend to solve the problem with the previous attempt at a TV movie, in that they couldn't find a way to make a long story work in a way they like it. Granted, they were being very gimmicky with the way they attempted to make the film, giving each segment to a different crew to do with it as they pleased.

This is the biggest problem I would have with an Adventure Time movie. The 11 minute episode format is exploited to perfection in AT. Episodes (for the most part) feel fast paced, frantic, and perfectly balanced, and usually always end on a bizarre abrupt moment that feels satisfying for whatever reason.

70-90 minutes of this might mean they spread the absurdity of a normal AT well past its welcome or that they will invite a different type of storytelling that might not mesh well with how the TV series portrays things.

Either way, excite.

This is the biggest problem I would have with an Adventure Time movie. The 11 minute episode format is exploited to perfection in AT. Episodes (for the most part) feel fast paced, frantic, and perfectly balanced, and usually always end on a bizarre abrupt moment that feels satisfying for whatever reason.

70-90 minutes of this might mean they spread the absurdity of a normal AT well past its welcome or that they will invite a different type of storytelling that might not mesh well with how the TV series portrays things.

Either way, excite.

They already have it set up. Have the story set around curing the Ice King. Show plenty of flashbacks inbetween. A perfect time to show the history of Marcy and Bubblegum.

Should be enough material for a full movie.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Finn is a fair bit older than 12 at this point right?

Anyway, good stuff. Love Adventure Time.

He actually ages in "real time". Kind of.
Last confirmed age was 15 and that was in 2013. It's likely he turned 16 last year and will turn 17 some time later this season. Maybe.

Odoul

Cautiously optimistic.

Adventure Time is capable of some hilarious/awesome/scary stuff.

It's also capable of some caught way too deep up it's own ass nonsense too.

I'm excited but I haven't kept up with the show since like a bit after the two parter where the Lich King came back. I think the last episodes I saw was stuff like the giant frog episode, or the one where Finn thought he was another dude that was balding. Is the show still good? I heard mixed things about it.

Same with Regular show, stopped watching a couple of episodes after the goat dude came in the picture.

I think it's incredible how they've kept the quality up for 6 seasons, but then again I don't agree at all with people saying the show has been up and down lately.

I didn't mean to imply a connection. I stopped after the arm arc was causally brushed under a rug after being built up for seasons.

I don't think it's gone for good, due to the
stinger/thorn in his hand
. But yeah, that pissed me off until they went back to showing Finn still having the
weird shit in his hand.

Tuck

You know, I've never actually seen a single episode of Adventure Time. Is it worth marathonning on Netflix?

Yes.

Reserve full judgement till you get into season 2 though. Season 1 can at times feel like a different show. But dont skip it - its still good, just a bit more juvenile.

Rarity

Oh my glob... this is going to be awesome!

I need to catch up on Adventure Time... last episode was the whole
Finn's arm being regrown from a flower thanks to a bee.

Yeah, I took a bit of a break after that because I didn't like that development. Still, I'm looking forward to this.

Maron

He's been open since announcing his show departure that he'd love to come back for an eventual film version. I wouldn't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom