• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AdvertisingAge: Xbox One's Data Treasure Trove Could Reshape Marketing

The moment I heard the console was always online, AND the Kinect camera always had to be plugged in, I immediately thought "advertising". Everything about that concept sounded like an advertisers wet dream.

So until MS actually creates the program, keep your lead coated tin foil hats in the closet.

You don't need to wear lead coating and tinfoil, that's just overkill.

Anyway, a balaclava and fake gmail address should be enough to trick the NSA when you're playing K-Sports 2.

I have a feeling everyone will forget about this soon and enjoy the Xbone, somehow I think all the companies who could benefit from this stuff will find ways to push the sales of this product

E92 M3

Yeah. Problem of MS is that their suits are such pricks that are completely out of thouch with what gamers want. I mean, they've got him, Harrison and Spencer and that woman with a remark about watercoolers. And they had Orth and Mattrick.

Enough said...

EDIT: they were better with Peter Moore and Allard

I think he's the only one who's alright and still has some love for the hobby. Definitely can't wait to see how this generation turns out. If X1 gets obliterated in the market, maybe we'll see some corporate restructuring.

Iacobellis

The moment I heard the console was always online, AND the Kinect camera always had to be plugged in, I immediately thought "advertising". Everything about that concept sounded like an advertisers wet dream.

I'm cofnused, though. What are the benefits to the 24/7 advertisements Microsoft wanted out of this?

Freki

Oh this article,i remember some site made a misleading title for it at few months ago

So this quote is made up?
So what about the future of advertising on the Xbox One? “It’s going to be an exciting transition though because the 360 console wasn’t built with advertising in mind, it was more of an afterthought, so we’ve had to adapt how to the technology and how we work to fit them in to the console,” said Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising, “whereas this new one is going to have advertising in mind. So a lot of the limitations that we have now, hopefully the release of the boundaries will widened so the opportunities will be a lot greater.”
or this?
The attending Xbox LIVE Advertising Developer commented that they don’t actually receive a lot of the biometric information collected by Kinect. “This sort of works at two levels. There’s the game producers who have a different API, so a different set of code and system that they use, and they’ve got a lot more control of the whole thing,” he stated, “whereas from the advertising point of view we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse so we can’t do certain things.”

Iacobellis

I think he's the only one who's alright and still has some love for the hobby. Definitely can't wait to see how this generation turns out. If X1 gets obliterated in the market, maybe we'll see some corporate restructuring.

Philly from Sony doesn't like games? Wha-?

Phil_disc--article_image.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah. Problem of MS is that their suits are such pricks that are completely out of thouch with what gamers want. I mean, they've got him, Harrison and Spencer and that woman with a remark about watercoolers. And they had Orth and Mattrick.

Enough said...

Old Xbox is best Xbox indeed.

SpyGuy239

Microsoft must be making TONS of money from advertising and marketing companies that will pay well for this.

They clearly designed this into their console as one of the core features.

I don't like them for it, but I can appreciate amrt/forward thinking when I see it. kudos Microsoft.

Iacobellis

Microsoft must be making TONS of money from advertising and marketing companies that will pay well for this.

They clearly designed this into their console as one of the core features.

I don't like them for it, but I can appreciate amrt/forward thinking when I see it. kudos Microsoft.

So Microsoft gets respect for making a console that just prints money for them?

totowhoa

Banned
so as the ps3 was the trojan horse for the blu ray the xbone is now a trojan horse for ads?

Kinda, except there might not be as much long-term benefit for Microsoft. It's a potentially big win for advertisers if this experiment is successful and other technologies begin incorporating it.

Advertisers have been able to hear know for quite some time if you think McDonalds is bad and Five Guys is great -- so long as you've typed it publicly online. I think people frequently forget that what they're saying on the Internet is not private, and I think people, on average, prefer more targeted advertisements. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't care that advertisers are gathering data in their living rooms to advertise to them better. With zero way to opt out of this, however... well, I'm unsure of how this might go legally. There's a precedent for one's home to be a totally private domain, and if Xbox isn't being upfront about its data gathering and if they're not providing an easy way to opt out, then I could see this turning into an interesting legal issue.

Maybe not though. I dunno.

I'm looking forward to the explosion of both in game and load screen advertising,

It's prime real estate for advertising...surprised only it hasn't taken off to any significant degree yet. Probably just a matter of time really...

Sakujou

Banned
... And we are done here. How can he possibly brag this out in public????
I hope sony fails as hard as ms. The next generation kills everything i was excited about videogames my whole life. What is wrong with you guys???

It started already this generation with all these patches and dlcs and NO more instruction booklets, but yeah, next gen will be a trip to hell.

Wont dip to any of the systems, i guess.

Krisars

Banned
... And we are done here. How can he possibly brag this out in public????
I hope sony fails as hard as ms. The next generation kills everything i was excited about videogames my whole life. What is wrong with you guys???

It started already this generation with all these patches and dlcs and NO more instruction booklets, but yeah, next gen will be a trip to hell.

Wont dip to any of the systems, i guess.

Huh? What has Sony done lately that made you wanna hope see them fail?

Usobuko

Banned
I usually stay away from the other Xbox One threads but I feel like this needs to be addressed. Even if you can disconnect Kinect, you still need to pay for it since it is mandatory included in the package. Even if you don't want that thing. Of course I don't know what numbers Microsoft are expecting in terms of Ads revenue to offset people who are being pushed away simply by the price differences, due to the inclusion of Kinect.

Salex_

It's pretty funny that some people are talking about "tin foils" when there's many quotes from Microsoft about NUad and there's detailed articles and outlines of the entire thing around the internet. I don't understand the need to defend MS for this. Are some of you getting paid to damage control?

Liberty4all

Banned
Just yet another reason to skip out in the Xbone. I hated the 360 advertising ridden dash and it was obvious we would see more of thus next Gen.

This shit though? Insidious.

LCfiner

yeah, I find this stuff gross and disquieting.

No, I don’t think that MS is getting live video of me, in my underwear, eating burritos in front of the TV at 2 AM. But I don’t like this focus on advertising on the home screen and sharing any kinect data at all with advertisers.

Well that's Sony's patent

I'm sure MS have similar patents.

Just yet another reason to skip out in the Xbone. I hated the 360 advertising ridden dash and it was obvious we would see more of thus next Gen.

This shit though? Insidious.

You do know Sony will likely be advertising on their 'dash' too right? They've talked about game discoverability in the past and the only realistic way to approach that is by having advertising front and centre when you start your console.

There's no getting away from it. Ads are here to stay. Nintendo will likely be the only one that's not forcing ads on people in a couple of years.

Enough said...

EDIT 2: I forgot Major Nelson, I don't like that guy at all

What makes you think that any of this is about gamers? Do you think this generation lasted as long because of gamers?

These are feature boxes and that's were the money is. If the ads and/or data collection give a more customizable experience people will use it and find it a fair exchange. See chrome, see online music services, see Netflix. The hardcore are vocal and influential but the hard core does not make a product a long term financial success.

Top Bottom