• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFP:Japan launch of Microsoft Xbox One a damp squib

Bumhead

Banned
Japan is an irrelevant market for the home consoles.

I get that it's a "traditional" market and some people still need their waifu games and whatever, but there's no reason anymore why we should care about the home console numbers in Japan anymore than we do anywhere else.

It's possible to achieve wild success even if Japan isn't buying your system, as the PS4 is demonstrating. The Xbox One not selling in Europe and lagging behind in the US and UK is a far greater significance for Microsoft.

A Microsoft marketing official told AFP the company expects sales will pick up as more titles are released towards the end of the year.

"We have high expectations as this (machine) is loaded with graphics that will surely satisfy game players," he said.

Oh my God, did someone in MS marketing just say the Xbone is loaded with graphics?!

I need an update to this pic

1SLSK8M.jpg

Steroyd

I get that it's a "traditional" market and some people still need their waifu games and whatever, but there's no reason anymore why we should care about the home console numbers in Japan anymore than we do anywhere else.

It's possible to achieve wild success even if Japan isn't buying your system, as the PS4 is demonstrating. The Xbox One not selling in Europe and lagging behind in the US and UK is a far greater significance for Microsoft.

Well excuuuuuuuuuse me for liking Waifu games like Persona 5, Ys, Atelier, Tales of series, Disgaea and the faint, faint hope of Dragon Quest. :|

Okay Persona 5 proves your point, but excuuuuuuuuuse me anyway.

MAX PAYMENT

Why, as English speaking westerners, do we care how Xbox or ps4 is selling in japan?

I know I sure as hell don't. I guess this will be one of those GAF things I will never understand.

SenkiDala

Why, as English speaking westerners, do we care how Xbox or ps4 is selling in japan?

I know I sure as hell don't. I guess this will be one of those GAF things I will never understand.

Because if the system sells well, some Japanese devs' would want to make more games on it. And games are why we're all here, so... that's why.

sublimit

Banned

Some people like Japanese games therefore they want these consoles to be successful there or at least try to be.

Steroyd

Persona 5, Ys, Atelier, Tales of series, Disgaea and the faint, faint hope of Dragon Quest.

Valkyria Chronicles, going from PS3 to PSP will forever be a stab to the heart.

Persona 5, Ys, Atelier, Tales of series, Disgaea and the faint, faint hope of Dragon Quest.

Valkyria Chronicles, going from PS3 to PSP will forever be a stab to the heart.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 would have done a lot better on PS3 since it had a bigger userbase and wasn't rampant with piracy... Plus alot of the games maps were cut down because of the psps limitations. I'm still sad Sega never brought the 3rd game to the U.S. but who can blame them considering the abysmal sales of the 2nd game,

Jigorath

Banned

Because we like Japanese games and would rather play them on a console than a smartphone.

SgtCobra

Because USA != World

Not everyone likes shooters and not everyone is an English speaking westener over here, some people like Japanese games and want them on their respective console, but if the consoles don't sell well in Japan then the devs are going to rake another route regarding platforms (smartphones, handhelds, which they're already doing)

Game Guru

It's always been possible to succeed without Japan... Both the Genesis and the N64 were less relevant in Japan than either the TurboGrafx or the Saturn, but both achieved second-place of their respective generations. Certainly, the Xbox line's success was pretty much without Japan. However, first place always had Japan in prior eras... even the previous generation where Japan was just as on board with the Wii as everyone else was.

Proxy

Because this is an enthusiast videogame forum where people like to talk about all aspects of the the industry.

BokehKing

Banned
Regardless of outcome, kudos to MS for launching in a market they pretty much know they will struggle within. At least they are giving the small number of consumer who want an xb1 a chance to get one.
This can be used as a nice gesture for all the other countries they try to sell in.

Could just be that it has that 'murica stigma, Americans may be in shock when I say this but, not everyone loves us

That quote is cracking me up. Gotta get all dem graphics in there! I even asked for my Xbone with EXTRA graphics, man. Can't get enough.
Sorry, but the XBone isn't available with extra graphics. Could we interest you in a PS4, where they come standard?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nope. That would be OG xbox.

In sales? Kinda doubt it.

Could just be that it has that 'murica stigma, Americans may be in shock when I say this but, not everyone loves us

There is no "America" stigma for this. If there was an American stigma, why does the iPhone sell well in Japan?

It has everything to do with the lack of Japanese development/First Person Perspective (read: mostly shooters) focus (which isn't too popular in Japan) that the X-box has had for a long while. Throw in the lack of Japanese development since 2008 since MS stopped trying to court Japanese development houses... there's no reason to buy one.

Then you get the X-box 720 reveal which was just a trainwreck in slow-motion. Then MS going to the trainwreckage and peeing on peoples corpses to add further insult and it's not hard to see why Japan (and the rest of the world) wants nothing to do with the 720.

Don Mattrick completely fucked up the 720. As soon as he uttered the words "you know, we have a console for you [those of you that don't like our DRM]... the X-box 360," the 720 was perpetually fucked.

MAX PAYMENT

Because this is an enthusiast videogame forum where people like to talk about all aspects of the the industry.

I understand everyone's reason. It's just that a lot people tend to use these topics to be fanboy assholes. I feel like I see more of that than people genuinely interested in games. Sorry if it offended anyone.

eastx

Does anybody know if there is a web URL for the Chaos;Child demo? Or any way to share the download location from the console itself?

Super curious to see what the numbers are for the launch.

It will probably do over 10k and beat the PS4 and maybe Wii U for 1 week right? I cant imagine it would sell THAT bad at launch.

thats really optimistic, if the biggest game stores in tokyo has one or two interested buyer every now and then it won't do even 1/4 that.

while the console market has shrunk significantly over the recent years in japan, its not that bad. if japanese games start rolling for the PS4 it would sell much much much more than it does now.

Top Bottom