• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFP:Japan launch of Microsoft Xbox One a damp squib

But the usual enthusiastic crowds that greet big launches in Japan were absent on Thursday morning, with just one buyer at a major electronic retailer in Tokyo.

So will the launch weekend sales actually break into double figures?

Super curious to see what the numbers are for the launch.

It will probably do over 10k and beat the PS4 and maybe Wii U for 1 week right? I cant imagine it would sell THAT bad at launch.

Sydle

Come on dude competition is good.

MS needs to learn a lesson about their horrible decisions with the One, including delaying the launch of the console in so many countries. It wouldn't be enough to struggle for less than a year, they deserve to be behind the entire generation.

They'll continue trying hard to win back gamers. I'm far more interested in seeing them go through some pain for a while longer, watching Sony succeed, so they overcompensate. It's MS, they have the resources to make something incredible, but they need the right direction. We'll get a better Xbox from it next gen.

Vestax

Banned
Not entirely shocking. I wonder how the Chinese launch will go. More folks from Forza's Turn 10 will show up?

Kuni

BREAKING NEWS!

I mean... they're pretty much beating the dead horse here. It is a curio for sure to see a product rejected so completely in a market but that's they way it always has been and probably always will be.

NickFire

MS needs to learn a lesson about their horrible decisions with the One, including delaying the launch of the console in so many countries. It wouldn't be enough to struggle for less than a year, they deserve to be behind the entire generation.

They'll continue trying hard to win back gamers. I'm far more interested in seeing them go through some pain for a while longer, watching Sony succeed, so they overcompensate. It's MS, they have the resources to make something incredible, but they need the right direction. We'll get a better Xbox from it next gen.

You speak the truth (delayed launch not as big a deal IMO though). MS had turned its efforts into incredible good will for 1.5 cycles. All of a sudden, it dropped the ball on focusing on traditional games out of a desire to steal the Wii's thunder and gatgher more info for advertisers, and then blatantly tried screwing the traditional gamers over as much as possible with One. If MS shows a long pattern of proper focus and reasonableness the rest of this generation into the next (like Sony had to do last time), I think they have a chance of recapturing what they lost some day.

Haunted

the hype is real

It will probably do over 10k and beat the PS4 and maybe Wii U for 1 week right? I cant imagine it would sell THAT bad at launch.
10k is going to be closer to YTD than launch week sales

Peterpan

I've always questioned why MS would even bother releasing the One there.
Never understood this statement so they shouldn't release their console there at all? You know its nice for people to go to their local store and buy, instead of having to importing it no matter how small the market.

antibolo

Banned
Never understood this statement so they shouldn't release their console there at all? You know its nice for people to go to their local store and buy, instead of having to importing it no matter how small the market.

Supporting the console in Japan costs them money.

Denton

Thankfully? Oh ok. I forgot that competition was a bad thing.
So you want the X1 to not sell?

Competition is great, and part of free market competition is companies that do not treat their customers well failing. This is happening to MS, and it is a good, and fully deserved, thing.

How many fish heads do you have each night?

No idea what that means, I guess I do not know all english idioms.

Do You work for Sony or Nintendo? (serious question) or can You explain why you Are thankfully?

I am not affiliated with any game industry company in any way. I just like to see market working as intended - badly behaving companies getting punished. I also like seeing it working the other way, good companies suceeding, which is why I love to support companies like CD Projekt, Valve, 4A, and many, many others.

nynt9

Paging Y2kev:

No, it's not. I don't understand where this is coming from.

Competitive platforms are good for the consumer. Sales parity is completely irrelevant to the consumer. In fact, if one platform lags behind the other, it is because the consumer has decided that one platform is not actually good for them. That is how it works. The dog wags the tail.

This "competition is good" thing has grown completely into a monster. Competition is the means by which a lessor is weeded out. If a platform is weaker, it should lose. That is competition. This whole "parity is good for the consumer"/"two platforms selling well is good for the consumer" sentiment is bizarre.

What you are espousing is not capitalism or competition but instead crony capitalism in which market competitors are propped up for the sake of having market competitors.

The companies competed. This is the result of the competition.

flkraven

The 360 also sold 3x as much as the Xbox in Japan, and MS didn't actually develop any of those games internally. They also STOPPED publishing and moneyhatting Japanese exclusives after about 2008. What do they have lined up for the Xbox One? What games are in development by their Japanese studio(s)?

It's always going to be an uphill battle, but saying "fuck this, the Japanese hate us, they get nothing" isn't going in the right direction. I've said the same in Nintendo threads - if you're no longer willing to invest to make your platform competitive, you're not really worth being a platform holder.

But you're implying that the Japanese market is valuable enough to spend unbelievable sums of money on in order to slightly increase their market share. It's clearly a losing proposition for them. They tried it for 2 years with the launch of the 360, and were completely unopposed in the console space for a year and still couldn't do any meaningful damage. Why should they spend millions on Japanese studios when all signs point to the console space slowing down over there? Especially when that space is already dominated by Nintendo and Sony? Why not spend money on Australian devs or Chinese devs? What makes the Japanese market so important to Microsoft that they should spend extra resources trying to woo them?

To be honest, I have no idea why they even released the system there, but that must somehow fit in their cost-benefit analysis.

CronoShot

Considering how the PS4 is currently lighting the charts on fire in Japan, low Xbox One sales aren't exactly surprising.

ymmv

Banned
But you're implying that the Japanese market is valuable enough to spend unbelievable sums of money on in order to slightly increase their market share. It's clearly a losing proposition for them. They tried it for 2 years with the launch of the 360, and were completely unopposed in the console space for a year and still couldn't do any meaningful damage. Why should they spend millions on Japanese studios when all signs point to the console space slowing down over there? Especially when that space is already dominated by Nintendo and Sony? Why not spend money on Australian devs or Chinese devs? What makes the Japanese market so important to Microsoft that they should spend extra resources trying to woo them?

To be honest, I have no idea why they even released the system there, but that must somehow fit in their cost-benefit analysis.

Platinum Games is making Scalebound for Microsoft Studios. Clearly MS hasn't completely given up.

oldergamer

If MS wants an influx of Japanese developed games. Make dev kits free to all developers in the japan region. You will suddenly see crazy amount of support...

.. and tentacles, but that is expected no?

I predict it will be the worst console launch in Japan yet. Probably less than 5k.

The delay was for localization, language, stores, currency, apps, kinect voice recognition of some, getting the ability to even sell in those countries the first place, and specific deals and promotions related to those countries.

Your anger for them delaying doesn't make much sense. technically, sonys delay was more nonsense in japan to be honest.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Maybe you should hire some Japanese employees and make some Japanese games then? It's like they're bizarro Nintendo. "Man, why can't we crack into this market that we refuse to invest in?"

They did though in the beginning of the seventh gen. The problem was it didn't yield any dividend on a big enough scale. Yeah people camped out for TOV, but that wasn't anywhere near enough to justify the cost of maintaining an exclusive in a dead platform for the Japanese developers. They were basically throwing money away the whole time, much more than than they had gotten in the deal from MS.

Wow. They really did try with the 360. What happened? Is the whole "Lel Western companies" thing really that entrenched in the Japanese buyer's mind?

Good on MS for at least attempting to sell XB1s in Japan given the inevitable failure.

What is it about the Xbox brand the the Japanese seem to dislike? Is it the western focus of the games, the fact that MS is an American company, or something more?

Think about Japanese games. Think about why they are not very popular with western audiences. Take all the generalizations, ignorance and pure cultural differences, and reverse it to the Japanese with western games. Then, combine it with declining interest in consoles and core gaming in general. There you go.

The original Xbox most Japanese don't even know about since it being so long ago, and the 360(and now the One) are known as the device for western games. Today, all western games are described by non fans as murder games or FPS. There's literally no other distinction beyond them being FPS. And so when you have an easy to dismiss generalization like that, it becomes easy to ignore entirely.

Madness

Maybe you should hire some Japanese employees and make some Japanese games then? It's like they're bizarro Nintendo. "Man, why can't we crack into this market that we refuse to invest in?"

Don't you remember last Gen? Exclusives, games like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, bargain basement pricing and they still couldn't make a dent.

It's simple, with Nintendo and Sony being homegrown Japanese consoles, it's hard for anyone else to bring something to the market they can't. In the mobile space, Apple was able to get a foothold but that's because they went largely unchallenged. For most Japanese gamers, there is nothing Xbox brings that they cannot get from Sony and Nintendo.

Additionally, the Japanese console market isn't as important as many on forums make it out to be. Last Gen, Microsoft was almost tied with Sony worldwide with only two regions, NA/EU vs Sony who has NA/EU/JP.

They can't make any real profit from this so why no just cut Japan out entirely? Save money on employees, distribution, office space, etc. They can't win so why not try to maximize profits instead of going after non-existent marketshare.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Additionally, the Japanese console market isn't as important as many on forums make it out to be. Last Gen, Microsoft was almost tied with Sony worldwide with only two regions, NA/EU vs Sony who has NA/EU/JP.

That was only because of the US overwhelmingly making up the difference. If the PS3 and 360 were tied in the US, the PS3 would actually have been winning significantly. 10+ million sales from Japan is no joke.

That isn't happening this time around on both counts.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
if MS doesn't launch in japan they can say goodbye to any Japanese developer/publisher support. you might see the biggest games published but anything other than that wont be supported.
Seems like that would be the case regardless. Having a tiny Japanese Xbox One userbase is almost as useless as having a non-existent one...and it's also a lot more expensive for Microsoft.

7HoCz6d.png

Fake Kaz is a prophet lol.

Haha!!!, yeah i was reminded of his tweet, right on the money.

Top Bottom