• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFP:Japan launch of Microsoft Xbox One a damp squib

darkwing

Steroyd

MS isn't even trying this time.

Xbox and especially Xbox 360 really put forth a respectable effort in Japan. I honestly thought they deserved to succeed. Xbox had some awesome Japanese exclusives like Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, Otogi, DoA 3, etc. 360 had a ton of exclusives/times exclusives like Chromehounds, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, The Last Remnant, Full Auto, Dead Rising, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Beautiful Katamari, Star Ocean 4 etc.

Can't blame MS for not trying this time. Japanese gamers have proven that they don't give a shit about Xbox regardless how many quality Japanese exclusives it has.

Didn't the Xbox 360 sell over 3x what the original did?

I definately think it's a case of MS not keeping up their initial burst when it launched, when the games of that calibur dried up, so did the sales.

Meanwhile Sony enjoys games from Atelier to Ni No Kuni and the other Tales of games throughout the generation from beginning to end.

b644365ca4515131950ec65cfa038199a142bfa8.jpg

lol I bet this guy is a reverse weeaboo

ulnueQK.jpg

Well what do they expect?

Xbox One may very well be the worst-selling Xbox console in Japan...maybe even worse than the original Xbox.

At least Microsoft tried to actively court Japanese developers back when the 360 was released. Now? Very little effort on their part.

Nikodemos

They did invest with the 360. Two exclusives from Sakaguchi, a timed exclusive of the best Tales games, Idolmaster, shmups, visual novels, Earth Defense Force, several Capcom exclusives. And that didn't even get them a foothold.
Wow. They really did try with the 360. What happened? Is the whole "Lel Western companies" thing really that entrenched in the Japanese buyer's mind?

Keyouta

Well, all the home consoles in Japan are selling horribly, so it's not like the Xbox is the odd one out this time around.

Mikey Jr.

Maybe you should hire some Japanese employees and make some Japanese games then? It's like they're bizarro Nintendo. "Man, why can't we crack into this market that we refuse to invest in?"

Hold on now, Ms gave a great effort with the 360 launch.

Japan just does not give a fuck.

johnbone

Good on MS for at least attempting to sell XB1s in Japan given the inevitable failure.

What is it about the Xbox brand the the Japanese seem to dislike? Is it the western focus of the games, the fact that MS is an American company, or something more?

aaronwt

I'm still surprised they even released the Xbox One in Japan. I hope no one seriously thought there would be a decent amount of sales.

bloke

Wow. They really did try with the 360. What happened? Is the whole "Lel Western companies" thing really that entrenched in the Japanese buyer's mind?

Actually I don't think 360 was doing that bad for a first few years in Japan since it really was loaded with exclusives of all kind of genres, but then MS just gave up all of the sudden, I think it was around Cry On cancelation (2008?), after that new big budget exclusives just stopped coming (last one was SO4), and all the gamers who bought 360 for that exclusive stuff just switched to ps3.

They have a japanese studio. They had a ton of a exclusives. It's just pissing money away at the point mate. Heck, the console market in Japan in general is twindling. They are just launching here out of obligation, not because they expect anything of it.

They did invest with the 360. Two exclusives from Sakaguchi, a timed exclusive of the best Tales games, Idolmaster, shmups, visual novels, Earth Defense Force, several Capcom exclusives. And that didn't even get them a foothold.

The 360 also sold 3x as much as the Xbox in Japan, and MS didn't actually develop any of those games internally. They also STOPPED publishing and moneyhatting Japanese exclusives after about 2008. What do they have lined up for the Xbox One? What games are in development by their Japanese studio(s)?

It's always going to be an uphill battle, but saying "fuck this, the Japanese hate us, they get nothing" isn't going in the right direction. I've said the same in Nintendo threads - if you're no longer willing to invest to make your platform competitive, you're not really worth being a platform holder.

blazeuk

Not really a surprise is it? It seemingly just arrived without people even being aware of it and in a country where everything video game hardware related is selling badly there was little chance the Xbox One was going to light up the console scene. The PS4 is doing terribly there and even that is almost certainly nailed on to perform better no matter what.

Opiate

"We have high expectations as this (machine) is loaded with graphics that will surely satisfy game players," he said.

This man understands the market. If Japan has shown any consistency at all, it's a rabid, unquenchable desire for machines loaded with graphics.

Well it's not like it's a surprise or something, nobody in Japan gives a shit about Xbox. The Xbox One is already struggling in the US. I just don't see how they can be relevant in Japan.

Nikodemos

but then MS just gave up all of the sudden
Story of the fucking forever. Microsoft is doing relatively not-bad, but since they aren't doing as well as their internal over-inflated estimates, they decide to pull out. Then, when they try again, they wonder why nobody would give them the time of day.

sublimit

Banned
The 360 also sold 3x as much as the Xbox in Japan, and MS didn't actually develop any of those games internally. They also STOPPED publishing and moneyhatting Japanese exclusives after about 2008. What do they have lined up for the Xbox One? What games are in development by their Japanese studio(s)?

Well in their defense the Japanese console market today is hardly what it used to be around the 360 launch.

Briarios

For what its worth, Yahoo isn't really a respectable news-outlet.

It's not, but AFP - the news organization that wrote the story - is.

Saying Yahoo isn't a respectable news outlet is like saying Bing or Google aren't respectable news outlets -- because, they're not. They're aggregators.

udivision

This man understands the market. If Japan has shown any consistency at all, it's a rabid, unquenchable desire for machines loaded with graphics.

Maybe he meant that the Japanese appreciate a laundry machine that can be loaded with a month's worth of gaming related graphic T's.

tfur

with journalists covering the debut far outnumbering buyers.

with just one buyer at a major electronic retailer in Tokyo

This is hilarious.

With all of the gifs, images, tweets and now news, this has been the best Xbox launch ever.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Maybe you should hire some Japanese employees and make some Japanese games then? It's like they're bizarro Nintendo. "Man, why can't we crack into this market that we refuse to invest in?"

They can't crack it when they do invest in it. I'd love to see a Blue Dragon 2 on X1 though.

Renzoku

Banned
Everyone knew this thing would bomb in Japan, right?

I can't believe that this news is blowing anyone's mind.

Top Bottom