• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFP:Japan launch of Microsoft Xbox One a damp squib

Defuser

"I was surprised that I was the first one to get this even though I didn't wait in a queue," said Kazuyuki Wakai, surrounded by half a dozen journalists from Japanese and international media.

7HoCz6d.png

Fake Kaz is a prophet lol.

wildfire

Banned
The kotaku article covering the launch was interesting due to the pics.

The article later on points out that the livestream had 200k unique hits which is very healthy compared to other livestreams I've watched with bigger international audiences.

But the lack of interest in lining compared to Nintendo's or Sony's launch says that while the Japanese are paying attention to Microsoft they lack enthusiasm.

Yahoo. Sigh.

For what its worth, Yahoo isn't really a respectable news-outlet.

Well people.....

It's an AFP article, yahoo has nothing to do with its content

Most news on Yahoo's front page comes from different sources. It is more like a news aggregator.

Edit:
It's not, but AFP - the news organization that wrote the story - is.

Saying Yahoo isn't a respectable news outlet is like saying Bing or Google aren't respectable news outlets -- because, they're not. They're aggregators.

You just had to beat me to the punch didn't you?

They can't crack it when they do invest in it. I'd love to see a Blue Dragon 2 on X1 though.

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were both admirable starts that should have turned into franchises. Having a couple of series that consistently sell 100k in Japan would have been a huge improvement over their current situation. But they abandoned everything that didn't set the world on fire.

Anth0ny

Xbox has always been a dead brand in Japan, even when the console market was thriving.

Now the console market is dead as fuck in Japan. Even PS4 is selling like garbage there. Not looking good for the Xbox One.

down 2 orth

"I was surprised that I was the first one to get this even though I didn't wait in a queue,"

I love this part. The guy's just going about his business buying the console because he likes Halo, then he's swarmed by journalists congratulating him on being the first customer.

I can just imagine his face as he's unexpectedly singled out, noticing all the cameras fixed on him...

Opiate

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were both admirable starts that should have turned into franchises. Having a couple of series that consistently sell 100k in Japan would have been a huge improvement over their current situation. But they abandoned everything that didn't set the world on fire.

Another way to put this would be "They abandoned everything that didn't make money." In consoles, the stakes are too high and the margins too thin for that sort of investment at this point.

Back in the early 2000s, you could justify losses by suggesting consoles were a growth market and that investment now would yield growth later. That's no longer the case; particularly in Asia, consoles are a contracting market. You can't justify losses anymore the way you could in the PS1/PS2 heyday. If something isn't making money right now, investors don't want to hear "trust us this will totally pay off later on." There is no bright, promising "later on" for consoles in Japan.

Maybe you should hire some Japanese employees and make some Japanese games then? It's like they're bizarro Nintendo. "Man, why can't we crack into this market that we refuse to invest in?"
At least Nintendo has Retro, Monster, Next Level, and NST. Does Microsoft have any Japanese studies at all?

Another way to put this would be "They abandoned everything that didn't make money." In consoles, the stakes are too high and the margins too thin for that sort of investment at this point.

Back in the early 2000s, you could justify losses by suggesting consoles were a growth market and that investment now would yield growth later. That's no longer the case; particularly in Asia, consoles are a contracting market. You can't justify losses anymore the way you could in the PS1/PS2 heyday.

MS is certainly projecting China as a growth market for the Xbox One, and I doubt we'll see very many games designed specifically for that market either.

MS also embraced AA and indie much more as the generation wore on for the 360 (while sticking to their tried and true AAA franchises), and the console ended up with a lot more software variety as a result. A similar initiative in Japan (outside of Cave shooters) might have given them something to work with without breaking the bank.

At least Nintendo has Retro, Monster, Next Level, and NST. Does Microsoft have any Japanese studies at all?

This was my point. They are actually doing worse.

Guevara

ulnueQK.jpg

Well what do they expect?

Xbox One may very well be the worst-selling Xbox console in Japan...maybe even worse than the original Xbox.

At least Microsoft tried to actively court Japanese developers back when the 360 was released. Now? Very little effort on their part.

I need an update to this pic

Fredrik

Last gen you had Blue Dragon and an actual attempt at getting Japan sales. This gen its just dumping a ladle full of gruel on the floor and telling people to dig in.
Yup. Oddly enough though so did Sony too this generation, there were (still are?) almost no games geared toward the japanese market.

Erolsky

Banned
ulnueQK.jpg

Well what do they expect?

Xbox One may very well be the worst-selling Xbox console in Japan...maybe even worse than the original Xbox.

At least Microsoft tried to actively court Japanese developers back when the 360 was released. Now? Very little effort on their part.

Why would they? Home consoles are dead in Japan. Mobile and Handhelds is where the developers and customers are.

Opiate

MS is certainly projecting China as a growth market for the Xbox One, and I doubt we'll very many games designed specifically for that market either.

I agree, but a couple of points: first, that's a projection; second, it almost has to be true by definition, as China didn't allow consoles when the 360 launched. I'll be very surprised if it sells substantial numbers, but even a pittance is greater than zero.

MS also embraced AA and indie much more as the generation wore on for the 360 (while sticking to their tried and true AAA franchises), and the console ended up with a lot more software variety as a result. A similar initiative in Japan (outside of Cave shooters) might have given them something to work with without breaking the bank.

Now this I think could have been true.The "indie" scene in Japan is quite different, but there was definitely room for small, niche games in Japan on consoles that Microsoft didn't fully exploit.

ironcreed

Banned
Damn. I love my Xbox One, but I can't help but laugh. Then again, we all know how popular the Xbox brand is in Japan, lol. What else is new?

watership

I've always questioned why MS would even bother releasing the One there.

Because if they didn't, this thread would be about how Xbox isn't a real contender because it's not in Japan. MS gets hit for trying, not trying, or trying to hard. Pattern detected.

sphinx

the piano man
the question has to be asked.

does microsoft need Japan in any way or form?

having stuff like eternal sonata or lost odyssey was a nice addition to the 360 library but at the end, people bought the 360 for their call of dutys, assasins creeds and halos. if japan does not want that, then there's no business there.

This is like putting a Mcdonalds restaurant in a place where all what people want is sushi. No matter how many "New Sushi Burger!" menus you introduce, perception will kill any good will you may have.

MS should focus on the west. the japanese home console market is contracting anyway, PS4 and WiiU are big failures there too so it's not like they should feel ashamed.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's not, but AFP - the news organization that wrote the story - is.

AFP (Agence France-Presse) is the oldest and one of the largest international press agencies in the world with bureaux in 150 countries. It's a very respected news outlet.

Sydle

Not really news. I think most of us were thinking months ago they wouldn't even bother with Japan. Hopefully this is the last time they try.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This is bad too. From the Hollywood Reporter:

Xbox One Console Has Dismal Launch in Japan

Xbox Ones are not flying off the shelves in Japan
Lines of excited buyers conspicuous by their absence

The Xbox One launched in Japan on Thursday with next to no fanfare, and one store in Tokyo reporting that they hadn't sold a single console by late afternoon.

Some electronics and game stores in central Tokyo had put out signs at midnight last night telling non-existent customers where to line up for their Xbox Ones. Other outlets, with lower but more realistic expectations, had not gone to the trouble of opening early.

"Honestly speaking, we haven't sold a single Xbox yet today. The Xbox has never been a big-seller, but we would expect a few customers on the release day," a sales assistant at a Tokyo electronics store who asked for it not to be identified, told The Hollywood Reporter.

At Yodobashi Camera in Yurakucho, a single customer waiting to buy the Xbox One when the store opened was reported to be outnumbered by a group of journalists there to cover the launch.

Microsoft has always struggled in the backyard of game rivals Sony and Nintendo, but did shift more than 1.5 million Xbox 360s in Japan. It looks unlikely to match that performance with its new console, which is being outsold by Sony's PlayStation 4 (PS4) two-to-one globally. The PS4 has beaten Sony's sales forecasts, pushing its gaming division back into the black even as the company continues to struggle overall.

Xbox One is on sale in Japan for $381 (¥39,980) for the basic package, and $476 (¥49,980) with the Kinect sensor needed for many games. By comparison, the PS4 is around $380, ready to play.

One reason for the Microsoft system's woes in Japan is the taste of local gamers, who tend toward role-playing type games rather than the shoot-em-ups that the Xbox has been known for.

Tokyo Game Show, one of the largest events of its kind in the world, runs from Sept. 18 to 22. Microsoft has traditionally had a big presence at the show, despite its poor sales in Japan.

The Japanese launch is an unmitigated disaster. Extremely embarrassing for MS. Not showing up in Japan at all would have been better than this.

Shin-Ra

MS isn't even trying this time.

Xbox and especially Xbox 360 really put forth a respectable effort in Japan. I honestly thought they deserved to succeed. Xbox had some awesome Japanese exclusives like Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, Otogi, DoA 3, etc. 360 had a ton of exclusives/times exclusives like Chromehounds, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, The Last Remnant, Full Auto, Dead Rising, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Beautiful Katamari, Star Ocean 4 etc.

Can't blame MS for not trying this time. Japanese gamers have proven that they don't give a shit about Xbox regardless how many quality Japanese exclusives it has.
You forgot Bullet Witch, Ninety-Nine Nights and Vampire Rain.

Trojan X

Banned
I was there. Prior launch there was hardly a strong build up unlike the PS4 and when I went to Akiba today I only saw passer-by checking out the machine, and a small amount of people queuing to purchase some of the games. Some people who were not knowledgeable about the Xbox One was thinking that the Xbox 360 was the more powerful machine because of "360" (kinda make sense in some ways), and when they were informed that the Xbox ONE is a new machine, they wondered what's so special about it because nothing really stood out from the PS4. All sounds understandable to me. Let's hope all this will change in due time as marketing need to increase and the games need to give the machine a stronger unique selling point as Forza and others are NOT doing it. The impression here is that the Xbox One is just another machine that is out there... just out there.

I guarantee that when Project Morpheus becomes closer to launch, it will be like the second coming!

I would have hired at least 50 people to stand in line and buy if the Press was going to show up at a launch

this is not good news from the press to outnumber your buyers

NickFire

"with journalists covering the debut far outnumbering buyers."

Has Mr. Mehdi denied this based on the picture he re-tweeted yet? Or is this going to be spun into something like its so popular ever journalist in Japan waited in line for it, including journalist students and random bloggers? Or is it that everyone in Japan is so happy with 360 that they aren't ready to upgrade yet?

Thankfully? Oh ok. I forgot that competition was a bad thing.

I wouldn't expect those in 'tier 2 launch' countries not to be a little down on the One

it was late showing up, and would not expect any gamer to promote weaker hardware in favor of competition or everyone would own a WiiU right now it has great games

hylje

One man. One way. One desire.

He was buying his Xbox on the store and the media wanted in.

"I don't care who this guy is, but I want his interview and his picture .. on my website."

Maybe you should hire some Japanese employees and make some Japanese games then? It's like they're bizarro Nintendo. "Man, why can't we crack into this market that we refuse to invest in?"

Because it's not a market worth investing into. Point blank.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Opiate.

Shouldn't have even bothered, complete waste of time and money.

That's why Microsoft soft launched, they knew what was up and they're probably not sweating over it. Anyone that expected a blowout from them in light of WiiU's and PS4's sales performances and X360s numbers were kidding themselves.

Top Bottom