• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After beaten Horizon Zero Dawn, your expectations/wishes in Horizon 2

MisterMac

Better close combat.

Better weapon systems. Specifically I think having 3 Bows is unnecessary, especially since you can switch weapons out in combat. One bow with a customizable arrow loadout. Add a button to switch it between faster firing rate medium range and slow firing rate sharpshooter.

Not being able to ride Sawtooths/Ravagers/etc was a missed opportunity. Would like to see this in the sequel.

I was let down there wasn't anything like a robot ecosystem like the demo implied. I have had glinthawks attack corpses of robots after I killed them but nothing like the random thunderjaw attacks. Stuff like that would really make the world feel alive

Better close combat.

Better weapon systems. Specifically I think having 3 Bows is unnecessary, especially since you can switch weapons out in combat. One bow with a customizable arrow loadout. Add a button to switch it between faster firing rate medium range and slow firing rate sharpshooter.

Not being able to ride Sawtooths/Ravagers/etc was a missed opportunity. Would like to see this in the sequel.

I was let down there wasn't anything like a robot ecosystem like the demo implied. I have had glinthawks attack corpses of robots after I killed them but nothing like the random thunderjaw attacks. Stuff like that would really make the world feel alive

Yea the whole time I've been playing I was expecting some kind of "public event" or attack from larger machines on smaller ones. But the story explains why that doesn't really happen.

Frostman

Also, I don't know how i feel about the density of enemy robots within the game. I felt like they were absolutely everywhere sometimes, with no breathing space.

If they want to keep the density of them, maybe they should change the respawn mechanic. You could fast travel come back and they will be there again. I understand that is how it works in most games, but most games don't have enemies every 20 seconds.

Due to the nature of this, you will end up fighting multiple types of enemies just due to how the combat flows (which is fun) but exploration is also what I enjoy in a game and sometimes I felt like that was hindered here.

Zen Aku

I might be in the minority but I wish we could have some sort of vehicle for traveling. Any mode of transportation would be awesome.

Maybe a hoverboard so Aloy can snipe at robots Legolas style while surfing on it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Also, I don't know how i feel about the density of enemy robots within the game. I felt like they were absolutely everywhere sometimes, with no breathing space.

If they want to keep the density of them, maybe they should change the respawn mechanic. You could fast travel come back and they will be there again. I understand that is how it works in most games, but most games don't have enemies every 20 seconds.

Due to the nature of this, you will end up fighting multiple types of enemies just due to how the combat flows (which is fun) but exploration is also what I enjoy in a game and sometimes I felt like that was hindered here.

There were definitely too many machine sites, and they respawned far too quickly.

Cleve

Better/more interesting human combat. 1/maybe 2 shotting everyone in the head was too easy.

Better inventory management would be nice

Sanke__

More machines
Better mounts
No glinthawks
And kill
Silence

That is all

Edit:
I see a lot of people mentioning human combat
Fuck wasting time on human combat
If anything they should make humans more frequently use machines and make the humans themselves all die in one or two arrows to the head, weak default arrows should one shot humans but not even work on machines
Just focus on machine combat and more wildlife to add more variety to the environments

Story-wise, a plot that involves GAIA glitching out / producing too much without being checked. I know that's not quite how Hades worked as a failsafe, buts it's not too much of a stretch to make a story where the weather is too volatile in various ways in each region due to GAIA over-terraforming.

This same logic could also result hybrid machine creatures getting pumped out of cauldrons. Give me Double Headed Longleg Billowbacks.

jdstorm

Banned
- more emphasis on mounted combat. Ie control your mount into 4 defult states using the D pad. Traps healing ect can be managed from the weapons wheel. Then its AI just runs around and you ride on the back shooting almost like a rail shooter.
- Flying mounts
- A Mass Effect 3 Style Skilltree. Its still simple for most players but gives greater customization options for those that want to specialize
- Climb Everywhere (after Zelda BotW going back to akwardly glitching up walls/looking for bright colored handholds sucks)
-More enemy variety. Both Human and Dinosaur
-Places to access/reach Underwater
-Larger/Longer Cauldrons
-JRPG STYLE POSTGAME SUPERBOSSES

And last but not least.
VANITY ARMOR -dont make appearance tied to stats

Playsage

- Better human combat encounters and stealth balance (give élites damageable protections instead of spongey health bars, for example)

- More consumables tools (flashbangs, baits...) and customizable item wheel (navigating it can stop me from moving)

- More variants for the machine species

- Costumizable spear

- Improved spear combat (block/parry, running takedowns...)

- More varied camerawork during conversations

- Infamous-like climbing mechanics

- Science-oriented perk tree (learn to craft better tools and ammo, new focus related functions, hacking enemies' focuses...)

- Hidden weaknesses to discovery yourself before being registered in the focus

- better exp. distribution for slower levels ups towards middle and end game

Freeman76

Im a rare case as I didnt really enjoy it much. The cities needed more of a coherent feel, the combat feels floaty as does the jumping, and after The Witcher 3 they really overdid the whole scan the area/follow tracks/examine/scan.....zzzzzzz. Its not a bad game at all, 7/10 for me and a good foundation to work on, I would like to see them improve those areas especially.

Hoje0308

Banned
More satisfying weapon feedback when fighting humans
AI that doesn't allow you to call in enemies one at a time (so, non-garbage AI)
Better melee combat (maybe add in a lock-on feature) with new weapons, upgrades and the ability to string together some combos that require a little skill
More weapons
A high difficulty mode that doesn't hold your hand throughout. I found the game to be not nearly as challenging as I'd have liked, even on the hardest difficulty. Better AI would help enormously, as would less bountiful supplies and XP. I'd really like it if I had to discover the weak points of each species of dino by myself, instead of having them highlighted in yellow, with a description of what those spots are especially vulnerable to. Oh, and no path prediction.

- More diverse machines (monkey/koala/sloth type that hang on trees, insect type machines etc)
- More expansive and informative tutorial. From what I see some people just blindly use any weapon on the wrong machines (esp fire arrows, like why). More detail detective mode could be nice, I do not know if it would make a difference though to this people.
- Equipment color palette customization
- More equipment parts rather than one whole outfits
- Better rewards for side quests
- More skills (esp active skills for variety of attacks for each type of weapon), harder to max everything, missions that teach skills or unlock it.
- Storage room at home or cities.
- Overridden machines can be call. (With some limitation of course)
- The ability to change the AI/personality of overridden machines. (Aggresive, passive, supportive, corrupt etc).
- Some overridden machines should have different capabilities for example scrapper/glinthawk can collect resource for us etc rather than just attacker/mount.
- Lastly, more stuff to craft. Crafting recipes to learn.

- Better human AI similar to MGS 5
- Better FACIAL ANIMATION AND LIP SYNCING. Please!
- More and bigger machines
- More weapons
- Stamina bar for running
- Add about 50 dungeons which can give you hidden armor and other cool stuff once you reach the end, and 10 cauldrons. Each dungeon should last about 30 minutes of playtime. Skyrim had like 120 if I remember correctly so I hope they add more content for the sequel.
- Let us mount a Stormbird
- Make the map bigger, like the size of GTA 5 if possible
- Let the game take place in Paris
paris-tour-eiffel-at-night.jpg

- Under water swimming with under water machines such as a Megalodon, Serpent, ext.

tumblr_n9llgyH9sJ1smelc7o1_500.gif

348bc28572af75153934771d4562e239.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
-More machine enemy variey. Gorillas, elephants, and bears are some obvious ones to add.
-Better resource and inventory management
-More weapons
-Improved melee combat
-Expand on the cauldrons. Sigma and Rho were nice but then you have Zeta that's just a one room boss fight. It's almost like they ran out of time.

I also agree on the density of machine sites being a little too extreme. The beginning area has a really nice balance but it gets to a point where it seems like you're constantly surrounded. Some times I just want to relax and soak in the world.

Not much, really. Definitely don't want them to make the game more of an RPG, I feel the balance is perfect as is.

- More variety of robot animals
- Better human AI, that works as a group, uses cover etc
- More flexible melee combat
- More flexible climbing mechanics
- Side quests woven into side narratives, to make them more relevant
- Dialog system that is more varied - instead of the whole shot/reverse shot, get a wide shot that shows both (or more) people in the conversation, be creative with the camera
- Outfits and weapons that change in aesthetics with each added mod
- Unique mods you get from side quests, unique enemies etc
- New Game Plus

A choice between learning Ice and Fire powers depending on which NPC you like more./s

Also, the shrines from Zelda.
And more Melee weapons along with a deeper Melee combat system than the current (which isn't much).

JLG-

Melee combat sucked so an improvement on that would be nice.

Better boss fights. Boss fights where pretty boring for the most part.

More weapons and a faster way to cycle through them.

Solal

An enemy lock button ala Dark souls: melee fights againts multpiple foes are way too confusing right now.

Spoo

A true climb-anywhere system. Obviously changes the design a lot, but can open some awesome traversal options too.

Faster combat, and much more impact to it -- especially vs. human enemies.

A co-op mode of some kind; not tied to the main story necessarily, something a bit like a monster hunting experience.

BigDug13

Ditch stealth or really tone down how overpowered it is where you're basically invisible to some enemies. This series could be close to Dark Souls level of combat if they didn't have as many ways to play cheap vs. the AI. (edit - yeah like above poster said, add a Dark Souls style targetting system where you can focus on an enemy easier instead of wrestling with the camera.)

Ditch vs human combat or have extremely little of it.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
1.) Melee Combat
- Horizon's most glaring flaw is its close quarters combat. In most instances, players will engage enemies at a range but enemies in Horizon are swift, suitably intelligent and can rapidly close on a player leaving them with no option but to evade and counterattack. Also, some enemies are very resilient and can deplete an unprepared players resources and armaments forcing them to rely once again on melee attacks. What's here is serviceable but something akin to Bloodborne/Dark Souls would be fantastic in a sequel, where there are parries and linkable attacks beyond the standard light and heavy attacks. I'm not asking for Nioh or DMC levels of depth.

2.) Weapon Variety
- The weapons in Horizon are good but the number of archetypes is underwhelming. I expected with Guerrilla's pedigree there would be a greater ensemble of arms but I was left disappointed by the fact that we're left with 3 types of bows, slings, ropecasters and tripcasters. It would've been cool to uncover and wield ancient yet futuristic shotguns, sniper rifles, rail guns, flame throwers, rocket launcher, tesla gun, thermite launcher, remote mine layer, netgun. These things could be given a cosmetic makeover to fit in thematically with other tribal weapons. In addition to the ranged weapons, a better choice of melee weapons is welcome - a warhammer, axe, longsword, polearm. Weapons should be able to be modified as well.

3.) More Machines
- I like the variety we have now but more types would be appreciated. I felt that there were too many passive types of machines. I'd like to see some insect based machines like Praying Mantis, Hornets or Beetles. I was bummed there weren't any machines based on a Gorilla, Bears or Wolves. Not too many complaints here because the aren't many flaws. Even a anthromorphic machine would be super dope, a machine trying to kill you with a beam saber and smart gun would be a helluva battle. More dinosaurs and creatures of fantasy would be great... Hello Dragons!

4.) Command Machines
- Once a machine has been overridden, you should be able to get it directives like distract, attack, defend etc. The player shouldn't be limited to just either mounting or having the machine follow. This is just a minor way to enhance and add greater depth to a fun mechanic.

5.) Scale Large Machines and the Environment
- I'm expecting many of, if not all the machines in this game to return but I'm sure they'll be other, larger machines added in subsequent games, it'd be a cool mechanic to scale enemies to avoid detection and fighting them directly. This could be accomplished by latching onto them or using a grappling hook. Hopefully they'll be machines so large that other, minor machines live on and perform maintenance on them. It'd be a relationship mirrored by fish and birds eating parasites off of sharks and rhinos respectively.

- Like Link, it'd be awesome if Aloy could scale mountains and trees as well. This isn't an attempt to mimic Zelda but it's an opportunity to implement a great idea and have it mesh well with the game thematically. Exploration and trap laying is the name of the game in Horizon so there's nothing incongruous about its potential addition. Also, sometimes it's confusing knowing what can be climbed and what can't and eliminates the "oddly colored" handholds in the game (when it's present). That's just a preemptive addressing for those who may quick to claim "oh no, copying Zelda".

6.) Save Anywhere
- I'd like to be able to save anywhere (as long as there are no threats nearby) and make camp. Resting at camp will pass the time (which can be cool itself because maybe certain robots only appear at specific portions of the day) and regenerates health (not medicine). Here you cook food (which regenerates more health than raw meat), repair gear and weapons. I feel this lessens the need to pick as many curatives and will keep players engaged in the combat which is the main draw.

7.) Mundane Activities
- I love Horizon's combat as much as anyone but I'd like to just do things in the world that aren't missions or quests. I know the trials are there and they are great but something to break the repetition of combat would be nice. I mean actions like fishing, gwent-like card game, drinking, etc. These are just simple, optional things to pass time or make the world an more lived in so they don't add much to the game, but would be a nice little addition.

8.) Switch Shoulders
- This one is self explanatory really. It sucks being in a tight spot and having your vision obscured by some foliage or dilapidated building in the middle of an intense face off with a Thunderjaw, Stormbird or a pack of Ravagers + Shellwalkers & Watchers

9.) Board a Mech???
- I haven't finished the game yet, just a third of the way through but if a sequel features even larger prey maybe players could mount mechs and they'd still function the same as Aloy or whomever players have control of in the game.

10.) Swimming and Water Interactivity
- the smallest gripe. I just want water to register players moving through it. I know that Aloy gets wet but she makes no splashes or displaces any water when traveling through a body of water. I know the game is rendering and processing a ton of stuff so it makes sense why this was omitted but hopefully the sequel will be in PS5 where they have enough power to create suitable simulation. I'd like swimming to be streamlined and you can perform stealth kills from it, if approaching unsuspecting prey from underwater.

11.) Stealth and AI
- the robots are intelligent and aggressive enough...UNTIL you break sight and hide in a bush. That's fine but you shouldn't be able to pile a number of remains and corpses up and enemies still approach that bush haphazardly. Humans AI is more egregious because you expect them to use logic and reason and realize "hey, maybe I should probably shoot the shit out of that bush where my buddy's body is and where I heard a suspicious whistle attempting to lure me over". I think players should be able to dive below the surface of a body of water to escape line of sight should be implemented.

12.) The Camera
- the camera is great in most cases but becomes a hindrance when you're running away but trying to also see the Thunderjaw charging behind you so you know when to dodge. When doing this, you won't be able to see whats in front of you,so you're forced into a risky trade-off situation that both have shitty potential outcomes. I'd just like the camera to show more of what's in front of you or have the attack indicator blink only before an attack is about to hit you, not when an enemy is simply attacking,this way you'll know when you truly need to evade.

13.) Vendors
- can buy more than one of an item at a time at a vendor. This way I don't have to press "x" 100 times for 100 pieces of wire, I can just specify how many I want and buy them if I have the shards and other ingredients.

Well, that's my list. Feel free to tell me what you all think, whether you agree or disagree.

I think Guerrilla has all the talent in the world and I want them to be the first people to successfully combine a third person shooter with a deep melee component. It hasn't been done yet and I don't know why, although in my opinion Vanquish was the closet to merge the two worlds competently. Beyond that, I'm loving the game. Hopefully Guerrilla comes across this and implements some of, if not all of these things.

TLDR: HRZN2 Improvements:
1. Melee Combat
2. Weapon Variety
3. More Machines
4. Command Machines
5. Scale Machine/Environment
6. Save Anywhere
7. Mundane Activities
8. Switch Shoulders
9. Board Mechs
10. Swimming/Water Interactivity
11. Stealth/AI
12. Camera

Ride mounts that fly.
Allow for more areas in settlements that can be entered.
Insect based machines
Give players the ability to create camp anywhere
Improve Human ai

My biggest complaint is how jarring the cutscenes were. They'd just abruptly stop gameplay. I'd prefer if gameplay seamlessly transitioned into a cutscene like in Uncharted 4.

I'd also like the conversations to be a bit better directed. The voiceovers were good, but just staring at talking heads can get a bit boring. I want to see full mo-cap in the sequel.

If Horizon were to steal one thing from BOTW, it should be the ability to scale anything (at least most things). Just imagine being able to climb a tree to set a trap. Or climb a cliff to reach a hidden cauldron. I think climbing anything would be a great fit for Aloy.

There are a few smaller things I'd like to see GG iron out as well, such as a better UI, and a few graphical effects (like water splashes).

Overall, Zero Dawn is an incredible game, and is a great template to build upon for future installments.

Salvadora

Everything got destroyed. I thought you were saying never existed at all in the Horizon universe.
No, I was saying that the continent of Europe no longer exists in the Horizon universe given that they showed us a map of the world and there is a whole lot of ocean above Africa where it used to be.

• Less Human combat interactions
  • More dynamic robot fights
  • Deeper, more systemic RPG systems
  • Better written side-quests that don't invovle you following a trail...ZZZZZZZ
  • More diversity to weapon types and even more "futuristic" weaponry
  • Incoroporate Dragon Dogma's mounting system. Let us mount and fight all the robots
  • Better types of crucible dungeons that are more invovled
  • Better types of armor and mod systems (feel half-baked in first game)
  • Overhaul melee combat
  • Did I mention better written side quests? ...yea...
  • More robots, less humans!

Banned
I would like two things.

1). The settings to be a space and travel between planets with different environments.

2). Being able to ride more of the machines

If those two things are done I'll be a happy =D

Zakalwe

Banned
Really, it comes down to this:

Either make the RPG systems deeper and the RPG part of the game more meaningful, or scrap them and make something more streamlined.

I think it's really impossible to do the latter as it would be seen as taking too much away, so their only real option is to go deeper with the RPG stuff.

gdt

I'd change up the open world checklist structure of it. The camps/corruption zones stuff like that. Seems boilerplate for open world games these days.

Also better rewards for the collectibles. They didn't really give you any tangible benefits.

I definitely want a sequel, don't give me prequel bullshit.

Edit: improve human combat.

Top Bottom