• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After beaten Horizon Zero Dawn, your expectations/wishes in Horizon 2

Don't understand why people want a bigger map. It was big enough, anything bigger and I think it would be too much.
I agree with a lot of things in here though, Im sure the sequel will be amazing

Wagram

They need to work on the exploration aspect a bit. There's too much running around for no reason and it bogs the experience down. I'm not asking for Ubisoft checklists either. If you plan to make a large map you have to fill it with meaningful content whether that be quality side quests or random locations that have depth beneath the surface.

Also I thought the climbing was confusing at times due to the ledges being difficult to see.

- Better human AI
- More involving stealth elements
- more to do in towns and settlements
- Better writing (not that the story itself isn't great)

Really enjoyed the game but I'd love these things in a sequel.

General:
- more and better machines
- more mounts variety
- tweaks into the machines (ie. make Thunderjaw harder to exploit)
- impactful dialog choice
- more side quest variety
- accessible buildings
- proper harder difficulties
- proper NPC activities
- proper cities, not just 'cities'
- proper time of day cycle
- better Tallnecks (quite disappointed)
- better water particles and effects
- better human & smaller machines AI
- better animation, dialog & cutscenes

Quality of life improvements:
- item sorting
- buy in bulk (like sell)
- fixed pov (on the left or middle)
- no camera zoom in cities (HATE it)
- hide helmet
- more resource capacity
- less gathering in gameplay loop

phansen

Neo Member
1. Better inventory management and economy. Managing the resources menu was a mess.
Besides the management they should either have fewer things to loot from corpses or give us more interesting things to do with them, especially the machine parts. I was carrying so much stuff throughout the game without ever using it, just because one day there might be a merchant who wants a stupid machine lens or whatever for a weapon or armor. That day never really came. And get rid of the carrying limits for resources and modifications, thats just annoying.

2. Human enemies sucked.

3. I didn't get into the whole tribalism aspect and the whole Meridian part of the story. That was mostly just annoying to me listening to some weirdos talk about their frigging sun king and their tribal disputes. Who cares about that if you have crazy machine animals walking around and a really, really good apocalyptic backstory to discover. Focus on that.

4. AI. Those crazy sci-fi-/hundreds of years in the future-machines are dumb as bread.

Better side quests that are more varied, better story, and no fucking human enemies.

Not sure which direction they can take the narrative in. They left it pretty open while tying it up most of the loose ends. Maybe dual protagonists? I'd like to play as not just Aloy next go round.

Better and more varied weapons. Maybe something a la dark Souls? I'd also like to see the FOV improved. It was too close when zoomed over the shoulder.

Akai__

The resources could be better spent expanding the SP.

While I think that it's a fair and valid point, I also think that just cloning the character and let people play together would not take away a sigificant amount of ressources that would impact the actual campaign. They already nailed combat, music and story.

renjworks

Neo Member
I just can't stop praising horizons awesome sci fi story. Combat was fun, the world was beautiful and very well designed but the story was something else. So for a sequel I wish for another great story!

Also: a bigger open world with flying mounts.

I am 100% sure that Guerilla knew this and is going to do it the next installment.

I love the game.

This can however be improved:

- facial animation during conversations
- camera angles and movement could be more animated during conversations
- i was expecting more 'big' cities to be honest
- i could do with a bit of extra 'mini games'. Or more interactions with random people. Like kick a ball with kids and stuff, play cards, some races,... Random little stuff that makes it more varied.
- Big robots could have a step by step destruction process. For example: hit the head first, then the tail, ...
- Make Aloy a bit more joky/lighter in some conversations. A bit too serious I feel. Maybe its ok for the main story but for side quests she could show a bit more personality
- more hidden stuff (truely hidden, not with purchasable map, nor a path). Like a type of robot only on a specific island and only at night for example.

Anyway the game is truely awesome and I'm having so much fun. These pointa abovewould just be the cherry on top.

Great game GG

Lock-on, and a voice cast that doesn't sound like placeholder VO done by the dev team. For all the game gets right, there are some issues that are really surprising that they were overlooked.

Kalentan

-
- Stamina bar for running

What? Sorry but do you want to ruin the game?

3. I didn't get into the whole tribalism aspect and the whole Meridian part of the story. That was mostly just annoying to me listening to some weirdos talk about their frigging sun king and their tribal disputes. Who cares about that if you have crazy machine animals walking around and a really, really good apocalyptic backstory to discover. Focus on that.

So what you're asking for is for them to limit themselves? Why?

1. Side quests. Basically I'd like to see a lot more of them in general, as well as a number of them with production values similar to that of the main quest. I thought they did a pretty decent job with their side quests for their first game but they're still quite far off the standard Witcher 3 set, so I'd like to see them move more in that direction.

2. More consistent voice acting, facial animations and lip syncing. Horizon has some fantastic voice acting and animations at times (especially from Ashly Burch and Lance Reddick) but there was also some really rough stuff in there too, even in the main story, that really took me out of the game. More consistency is needed.

3. No more Tallnecks revealing the map. While I thought they did a much better job with these than Ubisoft's ever done, I still feel like it's a lazy way to reveal the map. I'd prefer it if they went the Witcher 3 way, providing a rough map and letting the player uncover the landmarks naturally.

4. No more crafting weapon equipment. More of the lamer parts of the game and another Ubisoft feature. Instead of crafting equipment to hold more arrows, just sell larger quivers to store them.

5. More weapon and armor variety. Self explanatory, this is what you'd replace the grinding for weapon equipment items for.

6. More dungeons like the Cauldrons.

7. More robot and animal variety, including special ones that you may only run into once in an entire game.

8. Better item management, including letting me buy more than one bloody item at a time.

- Ability to fly on a strombird and kill all those glinthawks.
- Sailing and sea machines.
- Improved melee combat, a parry on small and medium machines would go a long way.
- A basic party system like Skyrim.
- Ability to give commands to overridden machines or party NPCs.
- Item sorting.
- Unique and interesting NPC'S dialouges, even the non quest ones.
- Names for the NPCs, rather than a Carja Guard or a Banuk shaman.
- NPCs with daily routines rather than just standing there.
- Ability to change time of day.
- More armor customization.
- Better human AI.
- Better variety on sidequests, less of witcher sense please.

And lastly,
- Have a build a settlement/town mechanic, like Suikoden and Xenoblade.

MaKTaiL

Horizon: Enduring Victory

You play as one of the marines charged of defending Project Zero Dawn in the frontline against the Metal Devils. The game is a prequel (obviously) and a FPS.

jdstorm

Banned
I'll never understand why people are so against optional co-op. It's not like the game will force you to use it.

Because it screws with the single player difficulty level. To be properly balanced for multiple people you either need a bad AI companion or to make the game brutally hard for the solo player on easy.

Destiny had huge issues with this and there is no easy fix. Also having to render the environment twice would take away resources from the GPU that are likely Maxed on a game like Horizon

Edit: Saw someone mention SAILING above.

Would love to see a sequel where Aloy goes to Hawaii looking for some mcguffin (Maybe Teds secret bunker) and the Open world is all the Hawaiian islands with an Active Volcano now a dormant Lava filled snowcapped mountain. Sailing/Flying in between them. Ect.

Aloy journeys solo. Grows up, finds herself and then returns home for Horizon 3. In time to battle Sylens, Hades and that giant robot frozen into the side of a mountain.

eXMomoj

I loved the game; platinumed it a few days ago. As far as story goes; they're on the right track and I look forward with where they go with it. Below are my only gripes with the game that I'd like to be changed in the next installment.

- More memorable and unique side quests; far too many people were getting "lost" in this one.

- Selectable quick items; scrolling through every potion and trap on the D-Pad was tedious, especially during combat.

- Ability to sort your items and buy in bulk (boggles my mind how this was overlooked).

- Make the variety of element types based on character builds. Have builds that increase their effectiveness.

- Make armor pieces individual and not sets; allows for more customization.

- Make the unlimited fast travel pack standard; but only allow it to be used once every 30 minutes.

- Introduce flying mounts in mid-to-late game. Also make ground mounts have different abilities in combat.

- Have a greater variety in machines; fighting most of them felt the same except for the very large ones.

Luigiv

I haven't played Horizon yet but my expectation is the sequel will be named "Horizon One Morning". Calling it now.

Akai__

Because it screws with the single player difficulty level. To be properly balanced for multiple people you either need a bad AI companion or to make the game brutally hard for the solo player on easy.

Destiny had huge issues with this and there is no easy fix. Also having to render the environment twice would take away resources from the GPU that are likely Maxed on a game like Horizon

Eh, you don't need to scale the difficulty in co-op, because it's just about the fun. Also, what do you mean with rendering it twice? This is not about splitscreen.

as much as i love co op, i dont think it belongs in horizon. the game lets u 1. change the difficulty on the fly, which is dependant on the power of the attacks and not rnemy health, and 2. slow time down. those would be lost in co op.

a separate horde mode with co op maaaaaybe, but id rather they dont try to shoehorn it in. the game can find other ways to add replay value

jdstorm

Banned
Eh, you don't need to scale the difficulty in co-op, because it's just about the fun. Also, what do you mean with rendering it twice? This is not about splitscreen.

I assumed Coucb Co Op. Not Online Co op. That would obviously present other technical problems.

Its not a bad idea. Its just something i personally wouldnt want. Mainly because of difficulty scaling. Just look at how hard it is to beat some of the harder monsters solo in Monster Hunter

Story wise, I hope now that we've unraveled most of the mysteries of the old world, we can have a more robust story about the tribes and the humans, while exploring what GAIA did and what went wrong.

I love the idea of the terraforming actually working, but not quite as expected (things like Apollo being destroyed, and obviously all the events of this game). I suspect it will probably be about discovering the source of the signal that disrupted everything, and figuring out how to reconnect the various subordinates back to GAIA

Haven't beaten it yet so I can't comment on story stuff but some things I would like...

-more machines. Not that there isn't a great variety already, I just want to see how much more creative they can get with it
-better human ai/encounters. I don't completely hate the human fights, but they're no where near as fun as the machines. Better a.i. And a better melee system would go a long way
-tallnecks just wandering the map. This is a huge nitpick, but it looked so cool in the E3 2016 demo when they showed those tallnecks in the water. It would be cool to see groups of them wandering around
-more wildlife
-more to do in towns
-unique, one-of-a-kind machines that would find in specific spots in the world. Make these some crazy hard fights

Haven't beaten it yet so I can't comment on story stuff but some things I would like...
-unique, one-of-a-kind machines that would find in specific spots in the world. Make these some crazy hard fights

Yeah, there is (sidequest spoilers)
the Hunter's Lodge sidequest where you fight a large Thunderjaw, Redmaw (sidenote: is it actually different from the other Thunderjaw enemies?) but it would be cool if this were a more fleshed out hunts system for special versions of the machines.

My wishlist would be basically:
- More robot combat and robots, because it's awesome
- Less human combat, because it was mainly just okay. At least improve it.
- Less use of audio logs and datapoints to explain the story, this one is very hard to find an alternative due to the setting, but I felt I had to stop too much at times in the middle of quests to listen to audio logs. Show more, stop telling me everything
- Better Cauldrons, first two were great, then you had to
ruin one with human encounters, and another one with just a simple robot fight
- Better climbing, in some of mountains you awkwardly jump to get to the top
- Increase the variety of robots, make the Hunter's Guild a thing instead of just some simple errands
- Less item collecting for no reason
- Make Focus have more features than just following trails :p
- Flying

Yeah, there is (sidequest spoilers)
the Hunter's Lodge sidequest where you fight a large Thunderjaw, Redmaw (sidenote: is it actually different from the other Thunderjaw enemies?) but it would be cool if this were a more fleshed out hunts system for special versions of the machines.
Ah, haven't done that one yet. Other than that the
rockbreakers
are only in one area I believe so they could count as something like that also. I would like to see more of that. Give us a dragon-like machine that you only find in one spot and once you kill it it's dead for good. Stuff like that

Seregil

I'd like to see better uses for mounts. I'd love to be able to customize them with different appearances as well as let you harvest materials while on them and have upgrades that let them harvest nearby materials when you get off of them. I'd also think it would be cool to have a late game upgrade that would let your mount carry a heavy weapon for you so they could be used in more than just the encounters that drop them.

better human ai
better melee options, or at least more
better resource management, 100 resources, but some can take more than one slot, cmon
more robots (that's just an obvious expectation for the series)
more variety of robot classes, three types of mounts is okay, but having very similar watcher classes count as different robots is stretching a bit too far for me, same goes for elemental ice/ fire bellowbacks

more human v robot or robot v robot interactions
those scripted like sequences on certain roads, like a hunting tribe using traps against longlegs are cool, but more of those and an actual hunting like scenario in the wild is cool as fuck, however hard as that may be to implement

pls the ability to buy more than one item at a time

some alternative to the healing system, i think the pouch is okay, but it is absolutely shit to gather that many plants just to heal

levels feel superfluous, i don't really see the need for them, "it has stats therefore it's an rpg" is pretty flimsy

all i can think of for now
the intensity of combat and the fastness of it is on point most of the time, i don't agree with the changes regarding crafting arrows and ammo because i feel the way it's implemented now aids in the intensity of battle and it's probably one of the most unintrusive implementations of crafting, or at least convenient

I haven't beaten the game, but I hope they don't go the multiple endings route, or use a paragon/renegade like morality system. These aren't needed.

Floody

Biggest wishes would be better melee combat and human combat. I'd love if they somehow managed to get a Souls tier melee combat, i think it'd be achievable too, they kinda have a bad version of it already, make it less reliant on tracking, improve the hitboxes and add a lot more depth and it'd be kinda close, something like that on top of the excellent ranged combat would be something really special. Human's just need much better A.I.

Somethings I'd also like are
-more armour sets, let me change each piece too.
-better inventory management as well as being able to buy in bulk.
-more interior locations.
-more machines.
-more weapons on the weapon wheel.
-some form of co-op.

Wozman23

An overhauled weapon wheel: All arrow types are linked to a single bow. The ropecaster and tripcaster essentially operate the same way, so they could also be combined as well. That way there is a little more room to carry some of the other options.

Much like shooting multiple arrows at a single target, multiple arrows could be shot at multiple targets in rapid succession. This would be useful for stealth with humans and smaller machines.

More wildlife, specifically dangerous wildlife like bears, moose, mountain lions. These animals could also be hostile toward machines.

More exotic machines. Kangaroos, rhinos, anacondas, gorillas, elephants, hippos, large porcupines or pangolins. They don't necessarily have to be to scale. The bigger the better.

More large weapons, both within missions like with Petra and ones that can be stripped from machines. Machine guns, rocket and grenade launchers, flamethrowers, slower guns that shoot a powerful beam...

Bigger tallnecks that require a lot more climbing, or hazards during climbing.

Aquatic robots and underwater combat.

More variety with armor. Maybe broken down into pieces for greater customization.

jdstorm

Banned
Lock-on, and a voice cast that doesn't sound like placeholder VO done by the dev team. For all the game gets right, there are some issues that are really surprising that they were overlooked.

You should try the German Dub. Its really great and Horizon makes dual languages easy.

Horizon has been literally one of the best games I have ever played, so I definitely have high hopes for the sequel.

I would like:
-more tallnecks, travelling in packs
-giant Gorilla mechs in forest envionments
-more animal & dinosaur mechs in general (elephants, stegosaurus, triceratops)
-being able to pilot Thunderjaws and use their abilities. This could even be limited to one combat scenario in the main story.
-a gigantic battle against a
Metal Devil
-giant aquatic creatures. I want to swim underwater and see whales and stuff.
-not sure how challenging it would be tech wise, but being able to ride flying mechs (after you have explored the world)

Zane Farus

Neo Member
Hoping for
-Better AI
-fix cut scene animations and lip syncing, it gets so bad in the game
-rework climbing and give players more freedom
-different melee weapons

Fixing cut scene animations is the big one, so many times the awful animations and lip syncing took me out of the game and irked me.

wapplew

Gameplay tweak is easy for GG, so I trust them on that department. Human combat, deeper customization, deeper character progression etc.
What I want for next Horizon is improve execution on story telling. Better directed dialog scene, cut scene, story pacing, balance between lore dump and present day conflict.
Most memorable story beat of the game come from reading or listening to audio logs, they need to improve on "show, don't tell" department.
Also keep single vision narrative, don't try to do too much branching story like other RPG, give me one canon ending.

An overhauled weapon wheel: All arrow types are linked to a single bow. The ropecaster and tripcaster essentially operate the same way, so they could also be combined as well. That way there is a little more room to carry some of the other options.

I think this wouldn't work. I thought of this way also at first, but after playing more I realize that it's good as is. There's a reason why they separate the bows into three archetypes. It's for the mods. Each bow has its own usefulness especially for status effects. You'd want to specialize a bow into one status effect (ie. fire) and put the corresponding mods into it.

Reaperssj

You know I bet this wouldn't happen but wouldn't it be awesome if in Horizon 2 aloy learns how to make a combat mech that uses scavenged pieces from the robots she fights and the mech would be highly customizable where you could paint the separate armor pieces different colors and they also blow off and get damaged just like the enemies in the game also it would allow them to make the robots bigger and harder and maybe the mech can be melee focused with sword and shield like esclaflowne.

wapplew

A better villain.
Helis
is kinda none existent thought out the adventure. His have an interesting back story if you go though all the audio log but still weak.

ubiblu

Free sandbox exploration like Breath of the Wild. No more yellow footholds and ropes bullshit. It completely kills traversal momentum.

MisterMac

Oh I forgot my #1 want. Gimme a suction tube on the mounts so I can gather resources without dismounting. I never ever used the mounts because I couldn't gather while mounted

Gitaroo

-it needs more melee weapons and attacks than just the spear. I am quite surprised that there is only when when one of the inspiration from the game is Dragon's Dogma. They didn't even take the best aspect from that game.

-Second is also melee attack on human AI, it got the hit response from Killzone when they get hit by arrows but stood like a rock when getting hit by the spear, just weird as hell and seems incomplete

-armors needs to be fully customization as separate part for different stats and also for fashion instead of one whole set. People love that stuffs.

-let you ride stormbird, basically everything!

-more physics and environment interaction

-more cool machines and bosses, should be one major giant boss for each location like SOTC.

Top Bottom