• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After beaten Horizon Zero Dawn, your expectations/wishes in Horizon 2

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Improve on probably the worst climbing system in a game ever.

I can't stand the predetermined climbing placements. So frustrating and it takes me out of the experience at times.

We should be able to climb any ledge.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i haven't finished it yet so don't know if it's given but i want to find out what caused everything to fall apart and who/what is creating the machines. i'm sure i'll get a better idea as i play more but the next game could focus on it more. other than that i'd like to see machines appear more. we have turkeys, foxes, rabbits, boars, fish but i'd like if they were machines too. right now we only really have machine dinosaurs but i'd like to see more common animals turn too. hell maybe even some robots instead of humans.

Navid

I want to play as Nil,
go around doing quests for people (all the while complaining whenever I am asked to kill machines) and then challenging the quest giver to a duel to the death after having completed their tasks.

More Vanasha content would be great as well.

i haven't finished it yet so don't know if it's given but i want to find out what caused everything to fall apart and who/what is creating the machines. i'm sure i'll get a better idea as i play more but the next game could focus on it more. other than that i'd like to see machines appear more. we have turkeys, foxes, rabbits, boars, fish but i'd like if they were machines too. right now we only really have machine dinosaurs but i'd like to see more common animals turn too. hell maybe even some robots instead of humans.

Well, the whole plot is about that so you must be really early in the game.

Stealth50

Could perhaps be done through DLC:
  • Challenge arena where you must use random weapons
  • More time trials but also with leaderboards
  • A little more advanced puzzles/platforming challenges
  • Some kind of completely optional mini-games (gardening/golfing/fishing/cards/in-universe unique sport or whatever)
Expected:
  • Viable melee combat
  • Improved Human AI. Personally I would prefer fewer but more powerful humans.
  • Better inventory managment (most tedious part of the game imo)
  • More varitations of the same robots but with different weaknesses
Not really needed but would be pretty nice:
  • More evenly spread out audio logs.
    The rooms packed with logs really ruined the pacing imo.
  • Mount that's more suitable for difficult terrain and from which you can pick up resources
  • More side-characters that you are in regular contact with
  • Water exploration through diving
Wishful thinking:
  • Pilotable Machines (for limited duration of course)
  • Climbable large machine bosses (like SotC)
  • Some kind of aerial combat
  • Grappling hook

-more spears
-more machines, including water machines
-being able to dive under water
-larger map with more tallnecks
-better mod system instead of just stat bumps
-more city areas and "old ones" tombs to explore
-ammo that tags enemies to be attacked by your overridden machines (sort of like corruption arrows)
-more types of wild animals
-fishing mini game?

Stuff they need to do for H1 ASAP:
-let us turn off the game tips
-pathfinding icons for custom waypoints instead of just quests
-brief invulnerability when performing Strike attacks

Fonds

I'd love some more dungeons/ cauldrons with a wilder variety in themes.

Would also be nice to see some puzzling/ exploration in these cauldrons.
Right now they're pretty straight forward.

hydruxo

I can't stand the predetermined climbing placements. So frustrating and it takes me out of the experience at times.

My problem with the climbing is that there were so many times I had to run around way too much before I finally found the ledges/handholds to get up on there. It's also an issue I have with Uncharted games, where you spend too much time trying to figure out what ledge you have to jump to next.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I am not sure I want them to do add that much more melee in this game as its basically useless against the larger machines. If anything they should add a climbing system that works for the machines so you have to scale their bodies, get near a weak spot and try to attack it close up. I don't want to be standing at the legs of a Thunderjaw attacking its ankles like how so many other games handle melee against giant enemies.

firelogic

I love the climbing system and the animations are the best I've seen in any game before it. She moves really smoothly and displays how agile she is while not looking cartoony. The little touches where she climbs up on a ledge and pushes off with her foot to get to higher handholds is awesome. Extremely fluid. I wouldn't change anything about that aspect other than maybe being able to climb anything but I don't think that'd be technically possible with a game like Horizon because of all the other things going on in the background already. To account for every possibility in an open-world game is a bit much.

Mesoian

-More robot types
-More rideable robots
-A more robust crafting and bartering system
-A more robust loot system
-A more robust hunting system (seriously, they have a hunters lodge and you fight 3 dinos for them, come on.)
-A better close quarters combat system (enemies should not be autoblocking after 2 lights)
-A climbing system for fighting dinos (think dragon's dogma).
-Better voice acting across the board (Ashley Birch is great, everyone else is TURRRRRIBLE)
-More civilization in the wilderness (there are too many outposts that are just lifeless buildings placed for the sake of side quests)
-Better writing for side material. (The main story is expertly crafted, every side mission story is some real dumb garbo.)
-Better town design (most of the towns, including the Carja central city, could be lifted from any other game, they're oddly generic considering they're supposed to be made up of a mishmash of north and south american cultures).

Beyond these things, Horizon was incredibly well done. Definitely a lot of things to work on for the sequel though.

I don't really have a problem with uncharted style climbing, but after playing BOTW, there is definitely an argument for this. A combination of both would server the game well.

I love the climbing system and the animations are the best I've seen in any game before it. She moves really smoothly and displays how agile she is while not looking cartoony. The little touches where she climbs up on a ledge and pushes off with her foot to get to higher handholds is awesome. Extremely fluid. I wouldn't change anything about that aspect other than maybe being able to climb anything but I don't think that'd be technically possible with a game like Horizon because of all the other things going on in the background already. To account for every possibility in an open-world game is a bit much.
Kinda agree, not sure how a "climb everything " system would work in Horizon, would maybe make exploration too easy and the graphics depend more on real life like environments. Aloy would have to get some gear to be able to do so in H2. Either that or just make more ways to be able to climb a certain building/mountain instead of the only 1 way yellow/white indicators

Mesoian

Kinda agree, not sure how a "climb everything " system would work in Horizon, would maybe make exploration too easy and the graphics depend more on real life like environments. Aloy would have to get some gear to be able to do so in H2. Either that or just make more ways to be able to climb a certain building/mountain instead of the only 1 way yellow/white indicators

They could do something like stamina being used to climb everywhere, but handholds not taking any stamina, making the game guide the player to a faster and more economical route of going verticle.

The dark secret is that you can kind of skyrim up most of the mountains anyway, so why not make a system that lets you do it for real?

Mounting more stuff and more interesting mount behavior; slightly more in the way of old-world futuristic weapons with limited ammo and no refills (ie discard them when they're used up). Better melee combat for sure.

I'd also want a more interesting ability tree (there are a bunch of things in there that Aloy should've had by default). Maybe some upgrades to her Focus. Abilities are more interesting than equipment upgrades, to me.

Let the Focus talk, too. Don't make it obnoxious like Navi, and don't make it overly chatty in general, but I think it'd be great for Aloy to have an AI companion to talk to so she doesn't just talk to herself a bunch.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'll never understand why people are so against optional co-op. It's not like the game will force you to use it.

It would largely mean designing two games. Ideally this means creating one experience balanced and designed for solo, and another for co-op. Reason being that co-op doesn't just factor into combat stat fluctuations, but area design, progression flow, abilities and skills, etc... You don't just flip a switch and add co-op, it fundamentally alters every facet of the design to the point the solo game might as well feel limiting in prior case examples. This is why pushback largely occurs as the solo experience suffers often dramatically.

They should work on the climbing department.

Aloy could climb anything that looked feasible without the yellow things and marked rocks, that would give it a incredible sense of exploration and discovery. If that's not possible telegraph way better the ways to climb something and add multiple ways of reaching one spot, I've struggled sometimes to find out where I was supposed to be looking for and there was, for the majority of the times, only one way to get up there.

They can also be more original with modifiers, make different combos that allow for different playstyles and strategies. Work more the melee combat and make it rewarding with some robots or humans. Less human encounters(at least in the main history).

The skill tree was kinda dull, aside from the override abilities almost everything felt like it was supposed to be unlocked from the beginning(stealth kills, kills from ledge, etc.) and not be constrained behind skill points. Be more creative there.

Also, give me a vault to keep stuff that I want. Add more outfits and weapons, seems like a no-brainer.

Mounting a Stormbird would be dope.

_________

Great game Guerrilla. Can't wait for the sequel.

PS: Platinumed the game and I'm still playing it, it's that fun. I don't think that ever happened before with me, aside from multiplayer games.

Kill3r7

Ewww keep MP out of this game forever please GG

I see a lot of people clamouring for MP and I'm just like:

raw

I think PvE MP seems like a logical next step for the series. Even something as simple as hunting parties for giant beasts or maybe even simple raids for high challenging cauldrons. The gameplay is there to support better loot and Co-op/MP.

Ill echo the common complaint..melee sucks.
I wouldnt care if they left it as one weapon..just fix the jank where you swing and miss people.

how many robots are there in the first game?
There's 25 different types, but there are some robots like the Bellow back where theres 2 that have different element affinity (fire or ice) but they're effectively the same so if you don't want to count those there's 22.

Ill echo the common complaint..melee sucks.
I wouldnt care if they left it as one weapon..just fix the jank where you swing and miss people.

Yea the missing at close range is really weird. On the critters I don't mind, but hitting the big dinos up close and it not registering is a bit annoying, because sometimes it happens several times in a row.

It would largely mean designing two games. Ideally this means creating one experience balanced and designed for solo, and another for co-op. Reason being that co-op doesn't just factor into combat stat fluctuations, but area design, progression flow, abilities and skills, etc... You don't just flip a switch and add co-op, it fundamentally alters every facet of the design to the point the solo game might as well feel limiting in prior case examples. This is why pushback largely occurs as the solo experience suffers often dramatically.

Same thing with multiple endings/branching storylines. It completely changes story, mission, character and world design. I've never seen it being done in a way that feels seamless, that doesn't have characters changing personalities in a jarring way and generally makes for worse storytelling. Keep that shit out of Horizon.

Would kind of like a smaller scale prequel. I was engrossed with the game as soon as the game opened up, trying to learn about what happened in the past. My favorite part.

Same as everyone else as a sequel goes. Please please please please add to a sequel and don't remove aspects that worked in the first game. It feel like with some sequels they remove to add other things.

And keep alligators/crocs thoose things are awesome.

vypek

List:
1. Storage chest
2. Bigger weapon wheel
3. More weapon/armor diversity I.e. Customization
4. More robot diversity
5. More side quests
6. More animals
7. Re-work the climbing system. Shouldn't just be on ledges with white grips.
8. Let us mount more robots.
9: Map filters
Edit:I agree with I guess this goes with more side quests. Have Robot bounties.
Co-op is a personal want at least for some sort of FF/horde mode.

There are all really good and I can agree with this. Also, I'd like to see more of the following characters:

Vanasha, Erend, Sylens, Talanah, 3 Toe Huavid.

Spoiled in case people who didn't finish are reading this

AngryMoth

I think Aloy has to be the MC in a sequel, she seems to have really resonated with people and besides she's too important to the story. Guess the next step is her trying to
rebuild Gaia with whoever sent the mysterious signal as an antagonist

Gameplay wise there's a lot of room for more animal inspired robot designs which is awesome. Think they could do a better job at providing more weapons and in depth rpg mechanics.

Human combat needs to be reworked or there should be much less of it.

Also, I wanna to might a metal devil.

More unique overrides rather than just attack in area or mount.
Like for example if you override a Sawtooth you can point at where you want it to attack or if you override a Watcher you get access to stealth for a limited time

Ocean machines: no idea how they can make underwater fun but it be worth a shot

Some sort of lite parkour system, nothing crazy but stuff like climbing trees be nice

A sequal has so much potential.

I'm against the idea of mythical creatures, it is it's own thing, I don't know why people are trying to push this ARPG into your typical RPG

Kill3r7

Would kind of like a smaller scale prequel. I was engrossed with the game as soon as the game opened up, trying to learn about what happened in the past. My favorite part.

Same as everyone else as a sequel goes. Please please please please add to a sequel and don't remove aspects that worked in the first game. It feel like with some sequels they remove to add other things.

And keep alligators/crocs those things are awesome.

I thought GG missed out on a great opportunity of having them attack you the first time you traversed a large body of water. That would have been a great introduction and raised up the tension every time you had to go swimming.

I see a lot of people clamouring for MP and I'm just like:

raw

Reading this thread feels like I'm seeing a potential Uncharted 4 situation in the future where the developer focus on their priority aspects that don't align with some fan bases and everyone will be upset about it.

So many different reasons for why people like or expect to happen in the game that are really far from what I want.

I want to sex up Talanah in Olin's House right now to be honest. Aloy and Talanah are best new couple 2017 - in my head at least. I think Aloy might be straight though smh

As for Horizon 2 - maybe a smidge better melee combat like guarding? Be able to hold more than 4 weapons. I picked 4 and that was that really. As a first RPG though I give them props. Was better than I expected.

wenaldy

Hyperbole. Name one open world game where you can climb any ledge including terrain like cliff or mountain. AFAIK you can scale almost any hills/ mountain in the by jumping without sliding off and with correct colision detection.

EGM1966

Well what I don't want is them to break the core of what works do well so I don't want:

Multiple choice decisions and more traditional RPG create your own version techniques -this would reduce the better narrative exposition ZD already has over such games. Aloy is who she is, the narrative is set and that's better for this title

A lot more loot: it's not a loot game and that would just introduce too many variables. The game has great options well balanced to the foes and I wasn't them to stick with that

What I do want is the common gameplay issues improved:

Better inventory system
Better melee (although to be fair its already solid)
More quest variety and a few more set piece moments aligned to the narrative unfolding
More involved human combat
Better facial animation aligned to slightly more nuanced voice work (it was good but could be better and often the best and most varied voice work is in the recordings and I'd like that brought to the character interaction too)

I'd also like:
New location
New machines
Continuation of the plot in spirit of ZD without dumb retcons or poor story choices (historically I'm wary of GG on this point but with ZD they nailed the narrative so I'm optimistic)
More expansive use of hunts, hunting lodge and errands
More expansive use of focus - zoom mode, more details on machines etc
More bunkers and backstory from the past (although balanced with new narrative from present as ZD covers much of that very well)
Option to ride flying machines - might be an ask too much for the engine but I reckon an imposed height limit to ground would solve this

So basically mostly more of the same with a great continuation of the story with enough new stuff to keep it fresh but no big changes to wreak what has proven to work do well.

scoobs

More interesting combat against small foes (small robots, humans, whatever)
Melee combat system completely overhauled. Let us upgrade and modify our spear. Different kinds of melee weapons
Let us fucking mount stormbirds and thunderjaws. You know we want it, do it.

Wollan

Horizon is amongst the very best Sony 1st party games I have ever experienced. It engrossed me enough to obtain my 2nd Platinum. Please take your time in developing the sequel. You've already landed on a really sweet balance so make sure the foundation is not broken in adding new features.

What would intrigue me would be:
  • Assuming Horizon 2 is a 2020 cross-generational PS4/PS5 release: The PS5 edition should aim for 60fps above all graphical aspects, the industry as a whole needs to move that needle. Horizon is one of the most responsive open-world RPG's I've enjoyed. Taking it to 60fps would push it even further ahead.
  • Facial animation is lacking. Most any screengrab will look good but the animations are not very convincing. Similarly the set of re-used people animations in order to build up a larger amount of quest situations suffer the same 'stiffness' seen in other open world games is very much present here. A lot of the motion capture used for cutscenes seems to have frames missing making it feel a bit shaky. A lot more effort needs to be put into these aspects.
  • Ability to climb anywhere in free-form (this will likely be an industry trend to come), maybe through a new tool i.e climbing axes. Would be a good foundation for introducing flying mounts as well since the world would be more solid.
  • Cauldrons need to be more epic in length, varied & generally more challenging. They need to be deep dives one fears to go into.
  • Water based encounters where you can bait some epic encounters onto the shoreline. Good opportunity for water-tech 2.0. Baiting and 'permanent' traps could be a new feature in general (sea or land).
  • Improved human A.I & more variety i.e humans controlling robots. Note: This shouldn't mean more human encounters.
  • Deeper skill-tree where it's impossible to obtain all abilities, hard choices must be made making everyone's experience slightly more unique.
  • Deeper gear & weapon customization. Modification slots should influence each other so a certain combo of mods will prompt bonus effects etc.
  • Modifications should be less abstract. Instead of having 'modification +30% electric' you should have a bow component ala 'Banuk static charger coil' that is visualized.
  • We need some rare (and ultra-rare) and ultra-hard monstrosities that you wouldn't encounter by simply playing through the main campaign.
  • In general more unique secrets in the world to be discovered.
  • You better not have us play as anyone but Aloy. ;)

Ps. Melee is already good and fitting. Core combat should remain range & planning based.

More physics based!! Always better.
Better water. Maybe use water as a weapon against certain robots.
Bigger weapon wheel. Maybe more melee weapons.
More robot types (and all mountable after certain couldrons).
More wildlife.
Better towns. They don't feel alive and there is too little detail imo.
Improved human ai.
More dramatic weather (like storms).

The game is soooo good that certain things stick out.

NO MULTIPLAYER, PLEASE! I'd hate to see precious time and money go into that stuff.

Multiplayer would be at the heart of it. They also need to remove the tethering that the enemies have to a particular area. It enables too many means in which you can cheese encounters.

Card Boy

Banned
Mini games and side distractions. My peeve with a lot of open world games (Mafia is a big offender) is there is nothing to do outside the main story and side missions. Create the Horizon equivalent of Triple Triad/GWENT.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think PvE MP seems like a logical next step for the series. Even something as simple as hunting parties for giant beasts or maybe even simple raids for high challenging cauldrons. The gameplay is there to support better loot and Co-op/MP.

You just described monster huunter and destiny.

No, keep multiplayer out of it. Let it be a well realized single player game. If they want to add multiplayer after the fact, then that's fine. But the game is about your experience/ your story of how you develop Aloy among other tribes.

I don't want multiplayer in this. That's what Bloodborne is for.

Top Bottom