• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After replaying Mario World, I realized it's not all that. 3, YI and NSMBU are better

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f53505f5359584a76333948504c413d3d2d3238313432333634352e313435663639393337366366393437383538323333313837383837362e676966

Fumpster

I agree on Yoshi's Island and NSMBU being better (the latter is extremely underrated, but the NSMB homogenization holds it back). I replayed SMB3 recently and felt like the levels were over before they did anything interesting.

Yoshi's Island and NSMBU are better games, but there's something to be said about the ease of picking up and playing SMW compared to those.

Your conclusion that SMB3 is the better game is correct, but you're too harshort on World.

- the Overworld Map in World doesn't have living, moving obstacles like 3 but it's far more dynamic. It winds and warps. It reaches above the clouds, far underground and into the depths of the forest. World doesn't have areas of distinct visual identity, but it still manages to portray a sense of progression.

- enemy variety is one thing the game has in spades. I don't even know where this criticism is coming from.

And about the map, what you said sparks the imagination of any kid that played it. I remember those summer days drawing parts of the map as an enjoyment becuase of how magical they were for me.
The map of 3 is, sinceresly, unimaginative, plain and boring. Some of the new super mario bros games have the same traits of the toad houses and enemies going around, and I found those meh also.

Navigating the map of SMW was an adventure for itself. Even future marios that tired to make something similar (always with concessions) never got to the same heights (becuase of those shitty concessions)

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Nah. I've played YI and 3 many times and SMW still rocks every time I come back to it.

razu

This is maybe one of the most tired debates in all of gaming.

Some prefer 3,some prefer World. I am a World guy, and played Mario before he was even Super. Most of your points are flimsy opinions, and a similar opinion list could be made of 3.

It's cool to prefer whichever, but yowza am I sick of the debate.

I should like to high five you. *high fives*

*walks in, drops mic*

Super Mario World's artstyle is the NSMB artstyle of the 16 bit era. Bland pastel colors, ugly highlights, wonky looking sprites.

My first Mario game was Super Mario Bros 1. So I would have equal nostalgia for Mario 3 and World. I personally prefer World but it seems like a pointless debate. Both are timeless classics in my eyes and one being considered better isn't important since they are both excellent.

SMW was the first Mario game I ever owned and so it does hold a special place in my heart for that reason. However, I do agree that I do find SMB3 and NSMBU superior. I admit, my brother played Yoshi's Island far more than I did when we were kids, and he does adore it, but I never really gave it much time. I have a SNES Classic and maybe I'll check it out in depth that way. NSMBU admittedly took a while to click -- I was extremely lukewarm on it during the WiiU launch, later sold my WiiU to make a bit of extra cash to make my big life-changing move, then rebought a WiiU when I had saved up some cash again -- NSMBU was again one of my first games and I don't regret it one bit, ended up falling in love that second time around.

SMW diminishes each time I replay it. I still think it has the best 2D Mario art style (perhaps shy of YI -- while I didn't play YI much, I do love it's super funky bizarreness and pastel style), but I do think the gameplay gets worse and worse as time goes on for me. All the other 2D Marios feel a lot sharper and tighter.

Lets get it straight. World is a good game, a GREAT game. I agree that NSMBU is a better game, as well as 3. People can hate on New U all they want for the visuals (it is absolutely dreadful and incredibly boring) but the actual game design is a beauty. I replay World regularly and its always a fun time. THe visuals for world have always felt strange to me. Comnig off of 3 it felt like they didn't know what they wanted to do with World. I understand World is a launch title but damn does it seem to play it suuuuper safe.

entremet

I'd bet if NSMBU had a unique art style and soundtrack it would be considered the best.

Using the New aesthetic really killed it for many. The level design is sublime.

Peterc

It's not because it looks better or has more details that makes the game better.

It's also strange to compare a game that's has been made many years later with smw. You even could compare it with sm3 or sm1, it just doesn't make sense.

Smw is unique and has allot of surprises included. The sound music and gameplay are just amazing. Mario is everything else beside overrated. It change many things. Also yoshi is included for the first time. It's an amazing game and it earns his place

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think World is a good game, but I think NSMBU is the best 2D Mario game. It has the best controls (and prior to it I was a 3-for-lifer), it has some inventive level design and its the Mario game that feels like it has the most natural learning curve into becoming an acrobatic wunderkind. Triple jumps and wall jumps just elevate how much fun that game is to actually navigate above previous titles

Zero-ELEC

Banned
You're 100% right OP.

Let me add that Super Mario World also has one of the worst artstyles in the series, and I'd honestly take the New series' style over it.

Like half the sprites look ugly as sin and are strangely inconsistent, nothing pops, the colours are bland and urgh.

lazyguy

3 is superior to World in every way. I always thought world's enemy/aesthetic designs are pretty weak compaired to other games. As for NSMBU I don't know I thought about it and you're probably right but I still think the ds game is the best in the new series(though it's been a while).
Also NSMB2 is legit garbage is fucking despise that one.

I'd bet if NSMBU had a unique art style and soundtrack it would be considered the best.

Lets hope the next 2D Mario pulls all the stops. I want it to look and feel like the next step in 2D Mario.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I gave so much shit over the years to the people who said that some of the New Super Mario Bros. games (especially U, which I played for the first time earlier this year, and it's fantastic) were better than World. I sincerely apologize to all of you. You were right.

giphy.gif

Been saying this for years: NSMBU is the best 2D Mario, and it's not close.

Yes, NSMBU is one of the best 2D Mario games ever made.

THE best. And I say this as someone who adores SMW and SM3.

Tain

you’re so close to True Enlightenment OP

just accept SMB2J into your heart as being top-tier as the final step

lt519

); SMW is the best

Also people having on NSMBU, it was a great game from a level design and platforming perspective. The challenges were a welcome addition to 2D Mario, I hope they keep those around.

FyreWulff

Both Mario World and DKC suffered from being the 'tech demo' game.

Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country 2 are some of the greatest games of all time, because they got past having to show off the game style could be done in the first place.

Fun fact: when Mario World came out, it really wasn't seen as this incredible perfect hit. People in another thread on here marveled that it "only" got 8s and 9s from Famitsu, and plenty of reviews and consumer comments at the time remarked that the graphics didn't look nearly as outstanding as they assumed a SNES game would (they were right), or that the game basically looked and felt like a souped up NES title rather than a generational leap.

In the "Console wars" book, doesnt it say Sega was happy about how World looked because Sonic would blow it away. Hmm. Or maybe that was just regarding the difference in speed.

Both Mario World and DKC suffered from being the 'tech demo' game.

Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country 2 are some of the greatest games of all time.

Okay so now you are talking about something else entirely. Yoshi's Island is one of the goats, as well as DKC2. Its not even fair. But lets stick to the traditional 2D Mario.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Pretty much this.

Man, I would love a New Super Mario Bros. Collection for Switch:

- New Super Mario Bros.
- New Super Mario Bros. 2
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- New Super Luigi U

NSMB and NSMB2 would be brought up to NSMBU graphical quality. If possible, NSMB2 could be made 2-players but if the level design doesn't work for it, that' fine. But NSMB on DS would at least be given a 2-player co-op mode.

I would pay $60 for that.

swarley64

OP says game has 70 levels, but the boxart he posted boasts 96 levels. Who's lying?
There are 96 exits, definitely not 96 levels... certain levels have two exits to find.

I'm a lot like the OP in that I just recently replayed SMW and felt a little underwhelmed. So much of the joy from SMW was the feeling of exploration as you replayed the levels and tried to find all the exits to get that 100% save file. I've done that 3-4 times over the years... I still have fun with it but it's just not the same. And the game is absolutely way too fucking easy.

I haven't replayed SMB3 in forever. I think I should do that soon

People are literally beating Odyssey levels in 5 minutes with the Cappy mid-jump, Mario 64 gives you so many options it's possible to skip whole levels just with long jump and wall jumps. But as I've said: no one skips entire levels with the cape, especially if you're playing the game for the first time or is searching for the secret exits (that were promoted a lot, so people know about them). This is a common arguement made by SMB3 fans that doesn't represent reality.

You're also ignoring that Mario World introduced Yoshi, better than most power ups in SMB3. In general I think Yoshi, items, colored blocks, cape, balloon > frog suit, boot and raccoon.

5 minutes is still more than 30 seconds. In both SMO and SM64 you have to engage with the actual environments to perform these feats, and at least for the latter you have to be extremely skilled. SM64 gives you options. SMW is literally tapping left over and over again. The cape is so powerful that the sole other option is made worthless. The cape should at least lose its spin that is better than the fireball.

You also forgot 3 other SMB3 power ups (tanooki, P wing, hammer bro), as well as all the overworld power ups (hammer, cloud, music box). Assuming I'm not forgetting any myself.

I just played SMW a few days ago and I had to make a conscious effort not to be flying constantly. You might not know how to fly forever the first time you play, but the default mega-jump you get from sprinting is already way more powerful than SMB3's tail.

PSFan

Both World and SMB3 are still the best 2D Marios in my book. None of the NSMB games comes anywhere close to them. They are all boring and very samey. Art style has nothing to do with it either.

I'm so sick of NSMB to the point where I never want to play that series again, it's so awful compared to the old 2D Mario games.

This thread is funny because I've always believed SMB3 to be a far superior game to SMW, but replaying them on the SNES Mini makes me appreciate World and believe they are closer than I've always though. Yoshi is quite a fun mechanic, the faster pace is quite appreciated, and looking for secret exits is fun. It's still not as good as SMB3 or YI, but it's still a damn amazing game.

Also NSMBU is an amazing game too. The series has come a long way from the mediocre DS original.

Oh my god I thought I was alone in this. I’ve always thought it was one of the weaker Marios. The levels, the overworld, the art. I do enjoy the music, though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mario World's secret exit system and the overall construction of the world map are the best things about it, and the things that I'm frustrated they've never really properly expanded on. The NSMB games have the exits, but not the map to go with it

Firebrand

I could see the argument for 3. I like SMW's backtracking stuff, multiple exits and overworld map, but 3 does have crazier level design.

Can't comment on NSMBU other than the garbage art style, as I haven't played it.

Yoshi's Island though? Doesn't deserve to be uttered in the same sentence as SMW and SMB3.

I replayed all 3 of the NES Mario titles about 2 months ago, and can confidently say that when compared to later entries, they're all kind of rough.

1 is fine, but suffers from monotony with entire worlds being repeated with seemingly only slight changes, the "Combat Evolved" effect I guess.

2 is actually pretty great, but is a departure in genre and suffers from some uninteractive or uninteresting level design.

3 is more ambitious but suffers from useless feature bloat and at times horrid level design. I'm also not personally a fan of the shorter levels, but thats just a prefference. The ideas here are better than the execution, which ultimately gets refined in Mario World.

I also don't like the art style. I get the angle, but I feel the NES can't or doesn't make it work.

Kolibri

SMW suffers from lack of identity and theme.

The first three all had very distinct styles and themes. But SMW is kind of all over the place. Feels cobbled together.

Damn OP, you made me think pretty hard. And... Yup, I agree with you, for many of the reasons you listed.

SMW is a sentimental favorite, but (as I've said before) it's actually a regression from SMB3. Yoshi's Island and NSMBU came later, so you would hope/expect those would be better. And they are, in some cases, massively better.

People say it's the best mostly because it's the first Super Mario title they experienced, a first-kiss syndrome in a sense.

Thats my experience, hell first game i ever owned and played. But age has shown me that 3 is actually the better game, though world will be special for me as being my first video game

NSMBU is good, but I actually preferred NSMB Wii- better level design. Where NSMB Wii improved upon NSMB in every possible way, NSMBU was one of the safest sequels I've seen in all my years of gaming.

When you compare a game from 2012 to a game from 1991, of course technical areas like sound and graphics quality will vastly improve. But even so, the music and visuals of Super Mario World are infinitely more pleasing to hear and see than the recycled (for the 4th time) music visuals of NSMB U.

There were absolutely no surprises in NSMBU. It did not deviate at all from what became before it, and I feel like that is why felt like such a dull experience. Couple that with the level design being not even as good as the game that came before it, and you are left with a disappointing game (I understand that one can argue the level design is better than the Wii version).

SMW introduced new concept after new concept following SMB3. Ghost houses, a full world map, Yoshi, new music and aesthetics, alternate exits, Star Road and the Special World, new enemies, longer levels, more involved world gimmicks like Forest of Illusion, etc etc etc.

Other than overall level design (which I can understand for some is the only important part of a platformer, and that's ok), SMBU does not have much going for it.

Top Bottom