• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After two extra "killer features" for Mario Kart 8, what's next for series?

Hermii

I feel like MK 8 is so good they don't really have to make a new one from scratch, they can just continue expanding on it forever.

For the next home console they can just add 1080p, better picture quality, fix the battle mode, new courses, new characters and just add new stuff without removing any of the old stuff.

FFFanatic

Neo Member
I'm still holding out hope they'll consider battle mode specific tracks for a future update, or at the very least DLC. Trying to do that on the regular tracks just doesn't work well. =/

I would want a battle mode focused DLC plan for 8 or like everyone else super smash kart would be cool. It could open up them playing around a bit more with the mechanics and items.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Honestly I'm sure they're aware of battle mode, guys. I'd be surprised if they didn't fix it now that this whole dlc business is over.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Honestly I'm sure they're aware of battle mode, guys. I'd be surprised if they didn't fix it now that this whole dlc business is over.

I fully expect this "DLC business" to NOT be over. The game sold really, really well and Nintendo insists they only put one Kart game on each platform. I'll bet we see more DLC tracks and characters before all is said and done. In fact, I expect it at E3.

link and that dog are only the beginning. maybe the next set will actually include interesting characters, too

there's absolutely no reason to not add other franchise characters to it

The option to choose how many laps you do.

Especially now there's 200cc. I want to go around Excitebike Arena 5, 7, 10 times. Not 3.

Seems like such an obvious omission.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
A level editor could work. I'd rather see it as a full-game ala the 2D Mario one though.

Linkhero1

I fully expect this "DLC business" to NOT be over. The game sold really, really well and Nintendo insists they only put one Kart game on each platform. I'll bet we see more DLC tracks and characters before all is said and done. In fact, I expect it at E3.

I feel the same way. I expect more DLC to come whether it be Battle Mode maps or more characters.

Cross-play.
Voice chat.
Twitch streaming.

Improved online in general.

Despite sometimes backwards online thinking, Nintendo did make YouTube integration in Mario Kart 8. Not to mention that Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 7 were the first Nintendo WFC and Nintendo Network games respectively.

So, if we're going to see some drastic changes in Nintendo's online infrastructure, we should look at Mario Kart.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Well plinko they better put in some overtime with this next batch of dlc cause I want a damn battle mode.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not all games need to be open world.
..okay?

Provides a unique opportunity to build an open world in the Mario universe, and you can manipulate an open world differently than what the MK series is used to. And clearly, the bigger the shakeup the better at this point.

ghibli99

I really would love a campaign/adventure mode so that it's not just pure racing all the time for those who like some SP mixed with their MP. Some folks have mentioned Horizon-like open-world structures, and I like the sound of that. After playing Horizon, standard Forza feels a bit stale. And definitely open it up to the rest of Nintendo's franchises and the associated ones.

Fbh

Ever since they added Link all I want in terms of Mario Kart is a "Super Smash Kart".
For marketing reasons they could keep the Mario Kart name and calle it Mario Kart World or something.

In terms of gameplay:
- A real battle mode
- An online mode that's up to date with 2006. With invites and parties and voice chat

Jezan

A proper battle mode, MK8 is not complete yet.

Also we need Kirby , he should be priority before Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link, Villagers, and Isabelle! :mad:

Then Smash Bros Kart.

Linkhero1

I'm under the list of people who think Mario Kart should still be the proper name for marketing purposes if they decide to eventually give us Super Smash Kart. Personally, I'm content with the way the game is now. I don't mind more DLC similar to Link and AC stuff.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
..okay?

Provides a unique opportunity to build an open world in the Mario universe, and you can manipulate an open world differently than what the MK series is used to. And clearly, the bigger the shakeup the better at this point.

Its a racing kart game, it doesn't need shakeup in overall design. It needs good features, good track design, and good balance.

Making an open world Mario Kart game makes no sense.

Now I'm all for them doing an open world spinoff that you can drive karts in.

Kilvas

The gameplay needs to remain simple, yet refined. Mario Kart is a popular series and needs to be playable by anyone. Giving each character special moves just makes it unnecessarily complicated. Calling it anything other than Mario Kart would confuse the average consumer and devalue the series.

Open world, solo or offline, would be a waste of resources and too complicated for the average person. Pit-stops are unnecessary. Voice chat for friends only. Cross-over should be iconic Nintendo characters only; Kirby, Samus, Pit. Items should remain Mario themed.

I biggest hope is for cross-play.

New modes, look towards old 80s arcade games or games similar to them and copy them.

Add a "tank" mode. Clone those top down battle tank games. Think "Battle City" Nes, "Tanks" Wii Play or other similar games. Would be easy to make and a blast with a large group of friends or online.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exrpK07N0-8

Add a side scroller infinite runner platformer/racer mode. Not sure how it would work with 8-12 players but I'm sure it could be pulled off.

Battle mode was all me and my friends would play back in the Super and N64 days. But after MK64 battle modes has gotten progressively worse and phoned in. Put a team on that, who gives a shit about it and thinks the mode is fun, please.

I really hope the next game isn't loaded with stages from other Nintendo franchises. One of my favorite parts of the series is the creative new places they come up with for the tracks. Allowing a bunch of other Nintendo franchises just lessens the amount of inventive places they'll come up with.

Balb

Make a more feature rich and customizable online mode. The online racing itself is really good but the feature set is pretty sparse. I'd like in-race voice chat and parties for starters.

Oh, and we neeeeed to see some WarioWare and Wario Land stuff. Characters, vehicles, stages. I don't know why, but Mario Kart and (to a much lesser extent) Smash seem all too willing to ignore the couple dozen games Wario has starred in.

KAL2006

Banned
Mario Kart 9

Reboot the series for not just Mario theme but all Nintendo games as well as some guest characters

Include
Samus
Link
Falcon
Kirby
Zelda
Pikachu
Fox
Sonic

Themed Circuits
Zelda Hyrule Castle
Pokemon Route ?? and Stadium
Metroid Chrono Ruins with Mothership
Sonic Green Hill Zone
Kirbys Dreamland
F Zero Race Track

New Powerups
Pokeball - Randomised Pokemon Attack
Master Sword - have a sword for a certain period of time and swing at near enemies
Ice Beam - Freeze enemy with Samus' ice beam
Kirby Balloon - Suck the kart in front to slow them down and take their power up

Foshy

Cross-play.
Voice chat.
Twitch streaming.

Improved online in general.
So basically you want Mario Kart on PS4/Vita? I thought port-begging wasn't allowed around here
;)

But yeah, a more fleshed out online with more lobby options is the obvious way to go, and I'd really like a detailed track editor a la Modnation. MK8 is really solid in terms of gameplay, but as a package it's pretty barebones.

Top Bottom