• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After two extra "killer features" for Mario Kart 8, what's next for series?

Honestly, I want Mario Kart 9 to be Mario Kart 8.5. More beautiful courses, more awesome jazz-ass musics, and keep the zero grav. Maybe bring back battle and the double dash riders. I'm not opposed to Smash kart but I don't particularily care either way.

hatchx

Banned
I'd like a fleshed out single player. Obviously Battle Mode has been mentioned, and I actually expect that to be address in the next MK8 DLC.

-Some form of HUB setting ala Diddy Kong Racing
-Missions like the ones from DS
-Score based challenged with leaderboards
-Co-op missions
-More depth in karts/costume like Splatoon
-Ability to paint/draw on karts ala top gear Rally on N64
-Weather conditions

There's a lot they could do to add much-needed single player depth. The racing and weapons mechanics are great, but they need to draw inspiration from Smash Bros when it comes to challenges and single player modes, etc.

Glowsquid

Oh, and we neeeeed to see some WarioWare and Wario Land stuff. Characters, vehicles, stages. I don't know why, but Mario Kart and (to a much lesser extent) Smash seem all too willing to ignore the couple dozen games Wario has starred in.

I'd do some very amoral and regrettable things to have Ashley playable in Mario Kart. Unfortunately, all those requests for "Smash Kart" show people really don't care about the ~extended Mario Mythos~... :/.

I would not count on more courses for this game.

They obviously left that space on the menu to fit these 4 extra cups for a reason and have said I think that they have no plans for more courses.

I think there MIGHT be a chance for Battle Arenas though if they are aware of all the complaints.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
FIX THE ROSTER

I might take heat for this, but I think the roster should try and exclude "clone characters" (characters who are literally the same people more or less), and even the random mooks and instead focus on only the individual, canon characters. Here's a solid roster using this idea:

Normal:
Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Birdo, Bowser Jr., Boom-Boom, Pom-Pom, Cranky Kong
Light:
Peach, Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Nabbit, Kamek
Heavy:
Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Rosalina, Petey Pirahna, King Boo, K. Rool

I think this nicely encapsulates the main Mario crew---and brings some extended members of Donkey Kong in.

Now, I think it'd be cool to incorporate the "Mook" characters into some DD-lite system, with the mook characters perhaps riding like in a side-car, or hanging on the back and them statistically influencing your Kart. This is where Shy Guy, Koopa, Dry Bones, Blooper, Boo, etc.

Mainly, I also want more single-player content---a hub world perhaps with various challenges? A human character (not a Mii, like the ones in the Tennis and Golf RPGs) to customize and serve as your player character during the single-player campaign, unique challenges, and of course Boss Fights like in DS. With the Koopalings, Mario 8 could've created a cool adventure mode, but they didn't, and my interest in MK8 quickly waned once I played through the GP a few times and did the DLC.

I really can't think of any actual race gimmicks---I'm fine with what they've got. I'd like them to explore more dynamic courses, and single-lap courses. I'm also a bit tired of Retro Courses, and hope the next Mario Kart is a "reboot" with 8 Grand Prix made of completely unique courses.

Watch Da Birdie

Look at Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart...

Games that have had additional modes yet their modern versions have been barebones in that regard.

They just don't care to add the non-core stuff anymore it seems.

I was so happy Splatoon bumped this trend and looks to have a pretty great single-player mode, or at least one that seems like they wanted to throw friendless gamers a bone.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
An MK8 picture sits currently to the right of the word 'rubberbanding' in Encyclopedia Britannica.

Look at Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart...

Games that have had additional modes yet their modern versions have been barebones in that regard.

They just don't care to add the non-core stuff anymore it seems.

Yea well they can have all the tracks in the world but without the content to back it up it's meaningless to me.

kirby_fox

Banned
Next Mario Kart to have a free standard version with just Mario and Mario Circuit. You buy what you want. You want Yoshi? You want bikes? Buy them each for a small fee.

Mario A La Kart.

EulaCapra

New Ideas:
+ Mario Kart Delivery Mode. Exactly like Crazy Taxi because why not?
+ Instead of Double Dash mode, why not just make it a Train? Some friends don't like losing all the time, so why not make it a 4-player Co-Op mode where everyone affects the speed, drifting, and item use. Everyone would have their own train kart behind player 1 and item boxes would be more angled so the item would go to the one who hit the box. Everyone could get their own items and simultaneously use their items. Two people who use the Mushrooms together would get a bigger boost. Three solo Green Shells would fire off a Giant Shell.

Refinements:
+ Underwater sections are an afterthought. Have the karts actually lift you up when submerged and have it control similarly to gliding if not exactly the same. It doesn't make sense to be underwater and still driving on the ground.
+ Return to real, smaller Battle Mode stages and more Battle modes like Shine Runner.
+ Have the anti-gravity sections pull back more on the camera to see that you're really going upside down and roundabout.
+ Mission Mode could be a nice change of pace again.
+ Day/Night would add extra oomph to the visuals. I say no to weather cycles like rain or snow because some tracks already rely on sleeted road.

Watch Da Birdie

I think the progression is clear - Mario Kart 9 is next.

I've been trying to think what gimmick you can do that relates to a "9".

It seems 10 (9 might be on a handheld so a more minor title) might be the best time to go full-crossover, and render it as Mario Kart X (pronounced 'cross").

+ Instead of Double Dash mode, why not just make it a Train? Some friends don't like losing all the time, so why not make it a 4-player Co-Op mode where everyone affects the speed, drifting, and item use. Everyone would have their own train kart behind player 1 and item boxes would be more angled so the item would go to the one who hit the box. Everyone could get their own items and simultaneously use their items. Two people who use the Mushrooms together would get a bigger boost. Three solo Green Shells would fire off a Giant Shell.

W-whoa.

I really, really like this idea---sort of what they did with Plessie in Mario 3D World.

I always had this idea where you could drive next to another racer in Mario Kart and take their ride but I don't know what the incentive would be.

And the driver could skillfully fend them off.

I will ask my cat to flesh this idea out more because it's just not working as is.

Watch Da Birdie

Another gimmick I'd love but would be hard to implement is controlled transformations---like switching to Kart to a Bike with a button press, and building courses around that.

I'd also like another situation like Double Dash where there's sense of cohesiveness to the location off all the courses in relation to one another, but I guess this might also limit some of the cooler course ideas like Ribbon Road.

It's a multiplayer-focused racing game, the tracks ARE the content.

You might have a different idea for the series but at its core, it's that.

Lol OK. Madden and nba2k and MLB the show all have in depth career modes and rpg aspects. When Nintendo starts taking one of their biggest series seriously I'll take it seriously.

Lol OK. Madden and nba2k and MLB the show all have in depth career modes and rpg aspects. When Nintendo starts taking one of their biggest series seriously I'll take it seriously.
The DLC shows me that they take this series VERY seriously.

It's fine if you want some extracurricular aspects but to say they don't take this series seriously is very interesting as Mario Kart 8 is one of the best games I've ever played.

(this isn't a sports simulator, no idea why that comparison)

The DLC shows me that they take this series VERY seriously.

It's fine if you want some extracurricular aspects but to say they don't take this series seriously is very interesting as Mario Kart 8 is one of the best games I've ever played.

(this isn't a sports simulator, no idea why that comparison)

It doesn't need to be a sports simulator to have in depth career options etc. I uhh don't know what to say if you think this is one of the best games ever made. Did you just start playing games last year? Sorry that's a serious question and I probably shouldn't derail the thread anymore.

Some people REALLY like cart racing games.

Have you noticed the sales of the Mario Kart series???

Many think it's the best game of the series and if this and the above is true, logically it might be up there as one of their favorite games ever.

Some people REALLY like cart racing games.

Have you noticed the sales of the Mario Kart series???

Many think it's the best game of the series and if this and the above is true, logically it might be up there as one of their favorite games ever.

OK. That's cool. It's like saying you really love match 3 games to me but sure.

Mr_L

Getting Pac-Man in as a driver (and hopefully a stage) would be nice. He's already represented in the form of mii clothing, so why not?

Watch Da Birdie

Call me a child, but I still want a Mario x Sonic Kart one of these days.

The latter hopefully drawing more from the classic days, but I'm fine with Sonic's newer friends since they actually make sense for a Kart Game.

Griss

I genuinely don't know how they top this one at all. If they include anti-grav again, it'll feel like more of the same; if they don't it'll feel regressive.

I also don't want or expect any kind of Super Smash Kart, and don't think that other game universes returning is a given at all.

The one area they could improve is single player, so that's what they should focus on. A proper campaign / story mode. Perhaps they could go the Diddy Kong Racing route of having a hub world to explore. Alternatively, they could introduce boats/hovercrafts like DKR or Sonic All Stars.

But it's going to be a tall, tall order to top MK8.

I think they've perfected the formula and shouldn't try to go overboard with the next release. All they need to do is bring back a legit battle mode as others have pointed out and it'll be golden.

sn00zer

Sonic_%26_All-Stars_Racing_Transformed_box_artwork.png

With Nintendo instead of SEGA

Top Bottom