• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Against all odds, the Wii U is trending on twitter in 2020, on news of Pikmin 3's delisting

BlackTron

I have this weird thing where I'm kind of tired of the WiiU despite its insane library of old games, I just find it kind of lame to turn on, see it's dumb name on a slow as hell OS loading screen, deal with the gamepad and the 1000 chargers and wires...when the Switch is always just like, GO!

At the same time, I don't want to pay $60 on a game I already own just to have it on Switch instead, it becomes this weird slight from Nintendo that if you bought all the games on WiiU, you got screwed because you have to pay a MASSIVE "upgrade fee" just to have all the same game minus their dumb cumbersome mistake game system that you bought.

Like, you supported their Frankenstein system to play some decent games when nobody else wanted to, and then when they fix it, they just go "So long, SUCKERS!"

me0wish

It's not even a decade old. But if it's The Last of Us Remastered apparently it's ok to charge $60 at launch for it?
Weird how some people just love to hate Nintendo.

I think Nintendo makes the best games, and Pikmin 3 is one of the best games ever made, I'm glad it's getting a second chance, but charging me 60$ for it again is just scummy, I felt really bad rebuying MK8, even though I've played it more than I've played the Wii U version.

These corporations are not your friends, they just want to find ways to drain your money, I'm not in a position to tell you what to do, but it will be nice if you stop being a part of the problem.

LordOfChaos

I have this weird thing where I'm kind of tired of the WiiU despite its insane library of old games, I just find it kind of lame to turn on, see it's dumb name on a slow as hell OS loading screen, deal with the gamepad and the 1000 chargers and wires...when the Switch is always just like, GO!

At the same time, I don't want to pay $60 on a game I already own just to have it on Switch instead, it becomes this weird slight from Nintendo that if you bought all the games on WiiU, you got screwed because you have to pay a MASSIVE "upgrade fee" just to have all the same game minus their dumb cumbersome mistake game system that you bought.

Like, you supported their Frankenstein system to play some decent games when nobody else wanted to, and then when they fix it, they just go "So long, SUCKERS!"

I can understand that feeling, though it's almost all new to me. I don't know why quarantine started an interest in the Wii U again for me, maybe after playing one AAA blockbuster after another I just needed a break with a few tight gameplay focused experiences (though BoTW is yet another open world and the load times can be a drag). Still used my PS4 10x more in total, but I curiously have not touched that in three months.

HotPocket69

Banned
It has some very good hidden gems and also huge BC and Gamepad features that makes it really fun to dig into during quarantine.

The more powerful console are always good enough but sometimes, lighter and least known games is what you need. Some of those has a sparkle of a brand new idea and ends up feeling more fresh and enjoyable than the generic AAA open world games the industry has been saturated us with.
clOqZwc.jpg

No Wonderful 101
cxii1Bq.png

theclaw135

Banned

All the frustrations amounted to a bad user experience. Wii Mode is a separate OS that forces you to swap controller. You've got to buy a Wiimote, Nunchuk, and Classic Controller for optimal play in the widest range of games. They could've at least rendered the Wii system menus in HD. that shouldn't have hurt compatibility.
Even at launch, the 8GB model was pitiful. Darksiders II is a day-one title bigger than 8GB. Many users couldn't digitally install it out of the box!

The gamepad was bulky, tethered to the console, region locked, weak battery life, needlessly inconvenient to replace...

Why can't digital Wii U games be downloaded to the SD card slot?
Why weren't replacement gamepads openly sold on Nintendo's OWN online store?

Last edited:

Faenrir

Some of the memes make little sense tbh. I have a WiiU and would love to see a Switch version of Xenoblade X for instance. It would greatly increase the probability of a sequel.

Faenrir

How are they any different from Sony, Microsoft, EA, Activision, Ubisoft or other major gaming companies?

If consumers don't changebthe way they buy games, things won't change.
If people stopped preordering unfinished games, buying so-called remasters, etc, over new original games, maybe the market wouldn't feel so stale.

sn0man

Delisting the game was scummy as hell but thankfully you can buy a disc copy dirt cheap.
If anything hopefully this pushes up the price a little so I can offload my Wii U copy for a reasonable return.
how much you want? Got any other WiiU games?

If you ever wanted to know what owning a WiiU is like, just read this before you go to bed every night for 3 years. Then stop because the switch is out

Yes I've heard of it and watched some gameplay a year or two ago. Thanks for the advice. Have you played it? How is it?
Regrettably, I haven't played it but I do own it. I suggested it because I reckon it'd be a nice addition to your collection.

It'd be great if they could somehow make the Wii version more available/accessible but right now the only way to get Yuji Naka's intended version is to get the first print run.

Maybe one day it'll have a proper re-release in HD or something.

Pandora's Tower would be a nice addition as well (I did play and finish this one hah).

Looking at that pic again, what's the third title from the right?

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Regrettably, I haven't played it but I do own it. I suggested it because I reckon it'd be a nice addition to your collection.

It'd be great if they could somehow make the Wii version more available/accessible but right now the only way to get Yuji Naka's intended version is to get the first print run.

Maybe one day it'll have a proper re-release in HD or something.

Pandora's Tower would be a nice addition as well (I did play and finish this one hah).

Looking at that pic again, what's the third title from the right?

It's the conduit. I also have the second. Well I ordered Rodea brand new because of you lol. I believe it also got the Wii disc in it as well so is this the first print?

Also, I considered Pandora's Tower as well as many other Wii game but my wallet would run dry very quickly. I've stopped buying Wii and WiiU game a while back, but who know , I might come back to it.

Do you have any picture of your Wii/U collection you would share?

Shaqazooloo

John Day

Ya’ll can go back to not buying it, nothing is wrong in the world now 🤣

I’m just messing around 🤣

John Wick

Nintendo knows it's fans like to pay more(for longer too) for their games especially older games. They will release the same content and charge $60 and their fans will happily pay it.
Can you blame Nintendo? I've yet to pay more than £38 for a Nintendo game. I'll always wait and pay less or buy 2nd hand for Switch

Nico_D

Perfect timing, you know, since it's anti consumer month.

people are loving using those words nowadays lol

I have a feeling they don't know what "business" means. It certainly doesn't mean "anti consumer".

But I gotta admit, "anti consumer" makes a hell of a lot better hashtag than "I can't handle it that I don't get what I want when I want for a price I want"...

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Trying to sell my Wii U + 13 games (inc Pikmin 3) as we speak. Shit like this doesn't help me. Still, good for Switch owners.

Shaqazooloo

I mean at this point I have no qualms about people pirating it on Wii U.. its easy as heck and legally not available anymore on that system.

Top Bottom