• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

Dedalus

cartoon_soldier said:
I hope the launch client does not crash as much as the beta one.

Open beta client was an old build so it was a bit unstable. There was a "miracle patch" applied to the closed beta servers which is now the gold version, so it's pretty stable after that patch.

GHG said:
Wait am I reading this right? 30GB install??? Are you freaking serious?

Next-gen baby :D

Wollan

Leatherface said:
Count me in GAF. make sure to update this thread with the server/guild info. :)
Actually, in accordance with NeoGAF ruleset someone (not me, too busy to play seriously earlier on + I'm going to play on Norwegian/EU server) should create a Meetup thread in the online forum for that purpose. This thread is more for initial impressions and launch period + news as they develop.

verio

So, has the general view of the beta been positive? I'm on the fence with this game, but it looks great and much different than other MMOs.

woobit

verio said:
So, has the general view of the beta been positive? I'm on the fence with this game, but it looks great and much different than other MMOs.

Looks pretty great, it'll probably save my summer vacation this year. Still haven't bought yet though, but I'm stick of trying those free asian mmorpgs to satisfy my mmo(rpg) hunger

Xabora

Anyone know of an alternate download?
buggering torrent client blows... 25min kbps upload destroys my download.

:/

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wollan said:
Actually, in accordance with NeoGAF ruleset someone (not me, too busy to play seriously earlier on + I'm going to play on Norwegian/EU server) should create a Meetup thread in the online forum for that purpose. This thread is more for initial impressions and launch period + news as they develop.

Can't we put a link on the OP when that happens?

i always FORGET about the online meetup forum...

xabre said:
I don't know if I like the sound of that. Just say you want to meet up with your guild but they're all spread out between instance 1, 2 and 3?

If they're on your friendlist, you can "summon to this instance". If they're not and you're on Teamspeak or some other crap like Ventrillo, you can do /instanceselection and a window with all instances avaliable of that particular area will show up. (The ones where friends are in, or party leaders, will have an icon identifying them).

If they're not on your friendslist and you don't have a voice chat running behind the game, that's one shitty ass guild you're in. :D

GHG said:
Wait am I reading this right? 30GB install??? Are you freaking serious?

More precisely, 2519 File(s) 25.717.801.227 bytes, sans patches, which will be avaliable starting tomorrow.

Wollan said:
I have a dual core 3.4GZ P4, 2GB ram and 6800XT and the game runs more than fine.

You have a Dual Core Pentium 4? That's impossible. You probably have a regular Pentium 4 which has HyperThreading (which shows up as two processors, but it really isn't). Either that or i'm really wrong about Pentium4s... :D

I have a Quad Core Qx6700 (2.6 ghz, still not overclocked), 4 gig of ram (but vista 32bits, so only 3gigs usable) and a 8800 GTX and i get mixed results with performance. On the main city it's a fucking mess. 10-15 FPS on the crowded areas (as experienced on the last day of the IGN/FilePlanet Beta).

Inside a dungeon i got 80-100 FPS. Obviously, on High settings both times.

My friend with a Dual Core e4400 (2 ghz), 2 gigs of ram and a crappy 8500 (yeah, i told him about it before he bought.. he didn't listen) was getting 10-20 fps OVERALL on LOW.
He got pissed and ordered a 9600gt... should be arriving soon.

I just hope they keep tweaking the game over time. The last patch on the beta server improved the stability and the performance a lot, but also disabled lots of things graphically speaking (specially on the water effects). But it only actually worked in Tortage. After the PVP update rolled in, we were back to stuttering madness. At least for me. (probably becaue of the overload of people in the main city just sitting around looking at their new feats and skills).

iamblades

verio said:
from the closed beta and all the impressions ive heard, heres what i gather:

people ar almost uniformly positive about the graphics and the melee combat sytem

peope are mixed on performance and stability, some people with lower specs are getting good perfomance, some people with super pcs are getting crap performance. the majority of people seem to think the miracle patch helped, some are the opposite.

stability is also mixed, some people have no problems at all, some crash all the time.

so overall people are positive about the game, but concerned about the level of polish

zoku88

drizzle said:
You have a Dual Core Pentium 4? That's impossible. You probably have a regular Pentium 4 which has HyperThreading (which shows up as two processors, but it really isn't). Either that or i'm really wrong about Pentium4s... :D
I'm guessing he either means what you said or a Pentium D.

Ferrio

Banned
verio said:

I didn't like it. Instanced zones, the zones I saw were on rails, combat seemed pretty simple yet cumbersome.. Also the large scale seige games are only 48 vs 48 people.

Wollan

Just got the key for claiming my pre-order War Mammoth.

Didn't expect this as Norwegian stores (I'm using Komplett.no) are usually pretty passive with such deals. Anyways, activated it and I also got the option for early purchase access which is great for me as my game copy is being delivered in Norway while I'm stranded in Australia. Now I will just download the game instead and have someone e-mail me the retail key when the box arrives.

verio

Ferrio said:
I didn't like it. Instanced zones, the zones I saw were on rails, combat seemed pretty simple yet cumbersome.. Also the large scale seige games are only 48 vs 48 people.

Ew. Will wait on reviews, then.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
verio said:
From what I experienced, the newbie zone/island was on rails but it then opened up once you got off it.

Also, 700-ish mb patch available now for the early access people. :)

verio said:

Yeah ditto. I'm cautiously optimistic but its hard to know if this will be a serious WoW competitor or a great big bloated pile of steaming... well, you know.

Wollan

One review so far:
• GameReactor Magazine - 9 out of 10
(reviewer spent over a month in closed beta, access to whole game)

I haven't actually read the text though (don't have mag).

Ferrio

Banned
Tunesmith said:
From what I experienced, the newbie zone/island was on rails but it then opened up once you got off it.

I'm talking about after tortage, the zones I visited were on rails.

Ferrio said:

To be fair at these graphics levels most peoples computers would explode if they tried to render hundreds of characters all at once. I've played games without instancing (FFXI) and it becomes a clusterfuck of epic proportions. The system AoC uses (based on the number of players to prevent saturation) seems somewhat intelligent, if not a little immersion breaking.

Ferrio

Banned
TheHeretic said:
To be fair at these graphics levels most peoples computers would explode if they tried to render hundreds of characters all at once. I've played games without instancing (FFXI) and it becomes a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

To be fair, most of the MMO's out there are non instanced.

Ferrio said:

The only MMO that really matters these days is, unless you are Korean and put Lineage under previous occupations in your resume.

Chris_C

Wollan said:
When you buy online from one of the bigger online sites (maybe all?) you will get an e-mail which gives you the opportunity to pay $5 to access it this weekend (you can already start downloading today).

When you say online stores do you mean stores that offer via digital distro? I can't find any of those. However I might get it off the Funcom.com store, do you know if they also offer early access?

Wollan

Chris_C said:
When you say online stores do you mean stores that offer via digital distro? I can't find any of those. However I might get it off the Funcom.com store, do you know if they also offer early access?
I mean standard stores like EBgames.com, Gamestop.com..etc. I'm pretty sure the Funcom store of all places has the initiative.

iamblades

Ferrio said:

I really don't see this.

From what I played the zones were no less open than other MMO.

Cimmeria feels a bit boxed in because of the locale, being in the mountains, but even then, I fail to see how it's different from any of the zones in WoW or any other MMO. Pretty much every MMO i've ever played has like 3 maybe 4 zones connected to each other, and they all use mountains and seas to wall off higher level zones. AoC is no different at all in that regardl.

Even tortage is not on rails. I think the whole 'on rails' terminology is getting a bit overused. Just because you can't climb over a giant mountain range or swim across the ocean to get into the next zone does not make a game on rails. There are way more options in tortage than I can remember in any other MMO starting noob area. Granted tortage lasts like twice as long as well, but still you have plenty of stuff to do.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Ferrio said:
Ferrio, you wanted to play Guild Wars which is horribly instanced, I dont know whats up with that.

Can I preorder the CE anywhere?

Ferrio

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Ferrio, you wanted to play Guild Wars which is horribly instanced, I dont know whats up with that.

Because I don't consider Guild Wars a MMO, I consider it a diablo clone with a shit ton of cool skills.

The makers don't even label it a MMO.

f@luS

More than a member.
almost finished installing the 14gb pre access file....dude 30min to install !

cant wait for the 17

edit : finished now

the install folder is 23.9g! Right now im downloading a 725m patch...

iamblades

f@luS said:
almost finished installing the 14gb pre access file....dude 30min to install !

cant wait for the 17

Installed and patching now.

Taking foreeever. Glad I have three days to DL it, and this should spread out the launch patch rush a bit.

:lol :lol

f@luS

More than a member.
Well thats cool.

Since ive preordered the collector version, will i have on the 17 my ring to get more xp or will i have to wait for my box on the 23?

Wollan

You won't get the items before you receive the retail box. When you receive it you will have to enter a claim command in the game chat.

guggnichso

Banned
Ok.

Downloaded Early Acces Client.
Patched Early Access Client.
Game only starts in DX9-Mode. No DX10 executable in Early access client.

what. the. hell.

Wollan

TheHeretic said:
Is the collectors edition worth getting?

It contains:

* In game items: Ring of Acheron gives the player higher XP points & Drinking Cape gives free drinks in all of Hyboria's taverns
* Leatherette map of Hyboria
* 124 page Art book
* Game on 2 DVD's
* Full colour 72 page manual
* Exclusive DVD with bonus material, trailers, interview and "making of" Exclusive soundtrack CD
* Buddy card (for 5 friends)
* 30 days free play
* Limited Edition Packaging

AOCCcover.jpg

f@luS

More than a member.
Wollan said:
You won't get the items before you receive the retail box. When you receive it you will have to enter a claim command in the game chat.
oh that sux :eek: !

TheHeretic said:
Is the collectors edition worth getting?

I wasnt goin to buy it but you know....
Ive come 1st into the game coz 4 of my friends are goin there ! we all preordered the classic one then they changed to the collector

I was like "WTF i will be the only one without the ring? ill xp slower than u FFS !" and so i had to change :lol :(

$h@d0w

I'm interested in this game but can't really justify buying into another MMO at the moment - would anyone be so kind to share a buddy code with me?

Wollan said:
It contains:

* In game items: Ring of Acheron gives the player higher XP points & Drinking Cape gives free drinks in all of Hyboria's taverns
* Leatherette map of Hyboria
* 124 page Art book
* Game on 2 DVD's
* Full colour 72 page manual
* Exclusive DVD with bonus material, trailers, interview and "making of" Exclusive soundtrack CD
* Buddy card (for 5 friends)
* 30 days free play
* Limited Edition Packaging

Holy shit.

f@luS

More than a member.
$h@d0w said:
I'm interested in this game but can't really justify buying into another MMO at the moment - would anyone be so kind to share a buddy code with me?
ask me on the 23 and i will give you one.
But still you will have to download the 14gb i guess, u should start right away

$h@d0w

f@luS said:
ask me on the 23 and i will give you one.
But still you will have to download the 14gb i guess, u should start right away

Cool, thanks - that download is monster!

Wollan

guggnichso said:
Game only starts in DX9-Mode. No DX10 executable in Early access client.
They only have a DX9 start client but you can choose DX10 from the launcher (same is the case with LOTRO).

randomwab

Wollan said:
* Game on 2 DVD's

Wait, that's a bullet point for the CE? What does the normal version come on?

The only thing worth while in the CE that I can see is the ring, and I don't know whether it'd be worth paying double the price of the normal version of the game.

guggnichso

Banned
Wollan said:
They only have a DX9 start client but you can choose DX10 from the launcher (same is the case with LOTRO).

Yes, you can choose DX10 from the launcher. When you do this and try to start the game, it just closes itself and does nothing - because the DX10 executable it tries to start is simply not in the Eary Access Client.

Trust me, I'm not stupid, there's simply no DX10 in the client. Download it and see for yourself :)

Wollan

randomwab said:
Wait, that's a bullet point for the CE? What does the normal version come on?

It's what it contains.
Not a 'bullet point' (though I would argue having the game is nice).

Lumine

Hmm, is there a free trial, a demo or beta easily accessible still available?
Game looks really good and the idea of combining an MMO with action oriented combat sounds hot!
Just not going to jump blindly into another MMO. Especially not when I still have a WoW subscription.
Perhaps someone has a key they would be willing to share because they're not using it themselves anymore? :)

GONZO

Cancelled my gamestop preorder and just went into best buy to get the box. I entered my info and downloaded the client last night. Patching as i type this. I can't wait. Hopefully my laptop can handle this game. I really don't feel like buying a new graphics card.

Top Bottom