• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 4 announced, made by Relic (Dawn of War/Homeworld/Company of Heroes)

Durante

I don't agree with that at all. Relic's style of RTS has never really clicked with me. Hopefully they stick to AoE mechanics and don't insert some kind of cover system into it or something.
My problem with Relic as the choice for this franchise is that I think the first DoW is by far the best game they've made, and everything since then has been moving ever further away from what I want in RTS, and also from what I think makes a good AoE game.

I'm hopeful but skeptical.

It would be sad to see Age of Empires compromised by gamepad controls.
Age 2 came to PS2 in an era where control schemes were far more rough than what we have now, and the PC version wasn't compromised in any way.

If they don't want to compromise the pc version then don't, the existence of a console version shouldn't force them to.

Jrs3000

Woah, I missed this.

Hyped for AOE 3 remastered but what the hell is 2 going to be?

The Conquerors without the extra expansions? It's not like you can touch up the sprites, they're already perfect.

Hell, it's already going to be missing a bunch of mods.

Move to 3d like AOE.

Bl@de

Surprised Sega agreed to this, especially since the game apparently is W10 store exclusive.

I have a feeling it will end up as a timed exclusive. Userbase on Steam is too big to ignore. 6-12 months after the W10 store is my guess.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Awesome news. Please be good. Please be a proper AoE with base building and well thought ages and tech trees.

Edit: no, please not be a total war game, there are plenty of that.

Tagyhag

Nonetheless, it'll later come to consoles. It'll sell, so they'll do it.

With Relic there is a bigger chance because they make RTS's with squad controls but that would mean the identity of AOE would be in jeopardy.

That said, they might not even bother. Did Halo Wars 2 even sell 500k copies?

If a brand like Halo can't sell that on the Xbox, what chance does AOE have? Why would they try?

MrT-Tar

So what era do we think this will be? It's been years since I played I and II, and I've never played III, but from my memory, the eras were as follows:

AoE: Neolithic to Rome at it's peak (post 3rd Punic War)

AoE II: Fall of Rome (Hun campaign) to the fall of the Aztec Empire (1521) and the Japanese defeat at Noryang Point (1598)

AoE III (never played): Colonisation of Americas and French Revolutionary Wars.

So, logically thinking:

AoE IV: covers approx 1815 to 1918, which would include the following:

- Crimean War
- Wars of German Unification
- Italian Risorgimento
- First World War
- Russo-Ottoman War
- First Sino-Japanese War
- Russo-Japanese War
- Indian Mutiny
- Balkan Wars
- Afghan Wars
- US-Mexican war
- US Civil War
- Opium Wars
- Colonisation of Africa including Anglo-Zulu War, Boer Wars, failed Italian Invasion of Abyssinia, etc
- Boxer Rebellion

Sounds like a good setting for an RTS for me.

Granjinha

My problem with Relic as the choice for this franchise is that I think the first DoW is by far the best game they've made, and everything since then has been moving ever further away from what I want in RTS, and also from what I think makes a good AoE game.

I'm hopeful but skeptical.

I love DoW, but both DoW2 and CoH are better games.

DoW 3 sucks though :(

Still, it's promising.

Age 2 came to PS2 in an era where control schemes were far more rough than what we have now, and the PC version wasn't compromised in any way.

If they don't want to compromise the pc version then don't, the existence of a console version shouldn't force them to.

If they develop both at the same time of course it will compromise the game.

Pooya

Total War games aren't exactly RTS like age is. They are 4x games with real time battles. That doesn't really translate well to Age of Empires. They made that one awful console RTS game before Halo Wars 2, I don't remember the name, I guess there is that.

Relic otoh has only made RTS games but their RTS games are like antithesis of Age. No one wants to micro manage some hero unit in Age or control like only 3 squads. We will see how it goes. I'm a bit concerned. Just because their own IPs are that way doesn't mean their AoE will be like those. They are certainly capable of making a game like that if they want to and you can be sure that with their in house tech whatever they make will look very pretty.

As for building walls and castles though, if it's 20th century, you're not getting that. I'm guessing it's going to be similar to CoH but with more focus on base building. That seems nice to me if we get that.

yrba1

Loved CoH1, had some fun times playing CoH2. Guessing they'll have cover mechanics or will be similar to AoE2 or 3

Durante

Total War games aren't exactly RTS like age is. They are 4x games with real time battles. That doesn't really translate well to Age of Empires. They made that one awful console RTS game before Halo Wars 2, I don't remember the name, I guess there is that.

Relic oth has only made RTS games but their RTS games are like anti thesis of Age. No one wants to micro manage some hero unit in Age or control like only 3 squads. We will see how it goes. I'm concerned. Just because their own IPs are that way doesn't mean their AoE will be like those. They are certainly capable of making a game like that if they want to and you can be sure that with their in house tech whatever they make will look very pretty.

As for building walls and castles though, if it's 20th century, you're not getting that. I'm guessing it's going to be similar to CoH but with more focus onbase building. That seems nice to me if we get that.
If I'm not building walls it's not AoE :/

sohois

relic is much more exciting than creative assembly

the actual game of aoe is quite small-scale and requires a lot of polish and tight control, especially in multiplayer. it's basically the exactly same scale as starcraft but is played at a lower speed

creative assembly just makes stuff with huge battles that look pretty but play like crap
What? No it isn't. Whilst you'll see a good amount of micro in the pro matches of 2, a standard fast castle will just start putting out streams of units once you have 4 TCs. It's very much in a larger scale, much larger than Relic have ever done

Never forget

main-qimg-7c206498f81da014370dbbc4e4945391-c

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The concern is that designing an RTS with consoles in mind leads to decisions that adversely impact the experience on the PC side due to having to account for the comparatively limited options a controller offers. Age 2 PS2 isn't a counter-example to that as it wasn't on the cards when the game was in development.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I'm not sure how experienced Relic are at creating base-building/economy-heavy RTSes, having only played their CoH series, but I think Age4 is in good hands nonetheless. Just happy as hell that a new title is finally in development after so many years.

Knurek

I mean, Age of Empires 2 HD sold over 4.3 million copies.

I'm not expecting this to look astonishingly different from the Age of Empires franchise.

Yeah, but that was on Steam, WinStore exclusives (without Play Anywhere trickery) will be very lucky with 4.3 k sales.

Tagyhag

It was a different time back then. The PS2 version came 2 years after and it was obvious that it only came out because of how popular the system was.

The PC controls weren't affected because PS2 wasn't even a thought during the development.

If this eventually makes its way to the Xbox, it means that they would have been thinking about the control scheme during development and we'll be able to clearly tell.

Jrs3000

If I'm not building walls it's not AoE :/

This guy gets it. Nothing like defending your borders and opening your gates for retreating allies so they can build in your base. ....I might have to go find a copy of aoe2 just to replay until definitive is out.

Laiza

It's very much in a larger scale, much larger than Relic have ever done
I guess you've never played the first DoW, then?

And even then, DoW III has massive unit counts in the latter end of 3v3 battles, so this is hardly groundbreaking territory for them.

Building walls, on the other hand...

What? No it isn't. Whilst you'll see a good amount of micro in the pro matches of 2, a standard fast castle will just start putting out streams of units once you have 4 TCs. It's very much in a larger scale, much larger than Relic have ever done

the engine should be much closer to a relic game than a creative assembly game

aoe population limit has been ~200. it's not massive

Tacitus_

I mean, Age of Empires 2 HD sold over 4.3 million copies.

I'm not expecting this to look astonishingly different from the Age of Empires franchise.

The last game that played like that from Relic was the original Dawn of War. I'm just hoping that they stick to the formula.

The concern is that designing an RTS with consoles in mind leads to decisions that adversely impact the experience on the PC side due to having to account for the comparatively limited options a controller offers. Age 2 PS2 isn't a counter-example to that as it wasn't on the cards when the game was in development.
They could build it for pc then potentially console later ala city skylines.

So, logically thinking:

AoE IV: covers approx 1815 to 1918

Sounds like a good setting for an RTS for me.

Even though I'd prefer an Ancient Rome setting, that would be my guess as well. The only other alternative I can see is either multiple timeframes or something crazier.

Hektor

I don't think anybody is stupid enough to turn AoE4 into a multiplayer focused chokepoint based pseudo-moba with perma hero upgrades and spellsystem

Stiler

I hope the game's combat has improved.

AOE was a great game but I'd love to see combat that is less 2d and more about 3d, finding elevation, using terrain and the environment, etc.

As a huge fan of AOE2 I'm curious but can't get hyped yet, especially after AOE3. The dev choice could be worse, but their last game didn't sit too hot with me.

Top Bottom