• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 4 announced, made by Relic (Dawn of War/Homeworld/Company of Heroes)

Drazgul

My problem with Relic as the choice for this franchise is that I think the first DoW is by far the best game they've made, and everything since then has been moving ever further away from what I want in RTS, and also from what I think makes a good AoE game.

I'm hopeful but skeptical.

My sentiments exactly, I really hope they'll do AoE justice and not just whip out more of the same that they've done lately.

Laiza

Even though I'd prefer an Ancient Rome setting, that would be my guess as well. The only other alternative I can see is either multiple timeframes or something crazier.
I wouldn't put it past them to pull an Empire Earth and make it encompass the eras of all three previous games.

That being said, I also think the late nineteenth and early twentieth century era is highly likely if they're treating this as a direct sequel to III. It all depends on what they're going for.

dr_rus

Never forget

main-qimg-7c206498f81da014370dbbc4e4945391-c

The AOE4 trailer they've shown today was pretty much based on this ad.

sohois

I guess you've never played the first DoW, then?

And even then, DoW III has massive unit counts in the latter end of 3v3 battles, so this is hardly groundbreaking territory for them.

Building walls, on the other hand...

I did. The economy alone is a tiny fraction of what AoE games have had. The first Dawn of War is at least a traditional base building RTS but it's still a long way from AoE
the engine should be much closer to a relic game than a creative assembly game

aoe population limit has been ~200. it's not massive

Most AoE 2 games are played with 300 pop online. I think the 200 was just a hardware limit rather than a conscious decision by Ensemble

Eolz

My problem with Relic as the choice for this franchise is that I think the first DoW is by far the best game they've made, and everything since then has been moving ever further away from what I want in RTS, and also from what I think makes a good AoE game.

I'm hopeful but skeptical.

While I disagree a bit for their best game (opinions... :p), I think that this is mixing a bit everything together.
DoW is a special case where they wanted to try something different for 2, and 3 was trying to bring both together (didn't work well). But as far as I understand it, they have quite a bit of creative freedom, and Sega is pushing for good games from developers they bought for their expertise.

AoE is something made for another publisher, under different rules. I think Relic (even if like every developer they're obviously different at each game) is perfectly capable of doing this, and unlike what some others are thinking, a lot more suited for the job than Creative Assembly, which are used to a really different type of strategy game.

I mean, Age of Empires 2 HD sold over 4.3 million copies.

I'm not expecting this to look astonishingly different from the Age of Empires franchise.

This. It might get some changes, but their contract is to make an Age of Empires game, they'll still have MS watching them.

Tbh, after they got HW2 out of CA, I have faith that MS's guys can get Relic to keep to the formula.

We need 4 resources, walls, extensive bases, oodles of techs. Bigass unit count. Lots and lots of factions, no need to overdiversify 'em. For god's sake, don't make this thing for eSports. Not everything needs to be a rush game, dammit.

In terms of innovations over past titles, I'm not sure. I like unit-as-squad stuff, a la Rise of Nations. Making it cover a larger timeframe than previously makes a lot of sense as well, though they could just do the iteration outlined in that picture from way back when.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I honestly never liked this idea. Keep it in the (far) past please.
If there's anything to glean from the teaser, is that this will cover a far more lengthy series of ages than any of the previous games.

Which makes me really curious if it'll still be just 4 resources, or they change over the ages.

Eylos

Banned
So what era do we think this will be? It's been years since I played I and II, and I've never played III, but from my memory, the eras were as follows:

AoE: Neolithic to Rome at it's peak (post 3rd Punic War)

AoE II: Fall of Rome (Hun campaign) to the fall of the Aztec Empire (1521) and the Japanese defeat at Noryang Point (1598)

AoE III (never played): Colonisation of Americas and French Revolutionary Wars.

So, logically thinking:

AoE IV: covers approx 1815 to 1918, which would include the following:

- Crimean War
- Wars of German Unification
- Italian Risorgimento
- First World War
- Russo-Ottoman War
- First Sino-Japanese War
- Russo-Japanese War
- Indian Mutiny
- Balkan Wars
- Afghan Wars
- US-Mexican war
- US Civil War
- Opium Wars
- Colonisation of Africa including Anglo-Zulu War, Boer Wars, failed Italian Invasion of Abyssinia, etc
- Boxer Rebellion

Sounds like a good setting for an RTS for me.

I think they Will go to 1945. Ww2 sells

Laiza

I did. The economy alone is a tiny fraction of what AoE games have had. The first Dawn of War is at least a traditional base building RTS but it's still a long way from AoE

Most AoE 2 games are played with 300 pop online. I think the 200 was just a hardware limit rather than a conscious decision by Ensemble
Well, yes, this would be their first game with a gathering economy, but I thought we were talking about scale here, not the nuances of how the game's progression works.

Either way, these are also the guys who made Space Marine, so I'm inclined to believe they have what it takes to tackle something different from their previous games.

My sentiments exactly, I really hope they'll do AoE justice and not just whip out more of the same that they've done lately.

Dawn of War 3 plays nothing like DoW2 or CoH2.

While DoW3's reception wasn't too hot, at the very least they're aware of its problems (based on dev posts in their official forums) so I'm still a bit optimistic.

I wouldn't put it past them to pull an Empire Earth and make it encompass the eras of all three previous games.

That being said, I also think the late nineteenth and early twentieth century era is highly likely if they're treating this as a direct sequel to III. It all depends on what they're going for.

I'd really like if it was like Rise of Nations. But then, it's called Age of Empires 4, and no Rise of Nations 2, so I wouldn't bet on it.

There is something more...romantic about the civs in AoE 1 and 2.

Couldn't really get into the whole French revolution thing. Would be even less interested if it went to WWII. But I'lll keep an open mind

Vashetti

Banned
They could bring it to XB1 if they mandate mouse and keyboard and explain that in the store listing.

I'm sure most would play on PC, but no reason to cut out the XB1 userbase as I'm sure some wouldn't mind using mouse and keyboard.

sohois

Well, yes, this would be their first game with a gathering economy, but I thought we were talking about scale here, not the nuances of how the game's progression works.

Either way, these are also the guys who made Space Marine, so I'm inclined to believe they have what it takes to tackle something different from their previous games.
Eh, I'm not sure there's much wrong with Relic myself, I just disagree that the DoW series is really anything like AoE. They're probably the best Dev Microsoft could have got for the series, though personally I would have liked if Forgotten Empires could have been involved

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Tbh, after they got HW2 out of CA, I have faith that MS's guys can get Relic to keep to the formula.

We need 4 resources, walls, extensive bases, oodles of techs. Bigass unit count. Lots and lots of factions, no need to overdiversify 'em. For god's sake, don't make this thing for eSports. Not everything needs to be a rush game, dammit.

In terms of innovations over past titles, I'm not sure. I like unit-as-squad stuff, a la Rise of Nations. Making it cover a larger timeframe than previously makes a lot of sense as well, though they could just do the iteration outlined in that picture from way back when.

Given the time frame walls may well be replaced with trenches.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
You guys are crazy I hope they continue to add more Ages even if they have to go into Alternative Timeline nonsense to justify adding additional Ages/Technology to Empires/Factions that no longer exist within a given period/age.

I want Age of Empires to eventually catch up to Empire Earth and allow me to go into the Space Age or Nano Age with the Aztecs if I wanted to do so.

BearPawB

Banned
What did people dislike about Dawn of War 3? I never got a sense of what turned people off of it (i have never played it)

Laiza

Eh, I'm not sure there's much wrong with Relic myself, I just disagree that the DoW series is really anything like AoE. They're probably the best Dev Microsoft could have got for the series, though personally I would have liked if Forgotten Empires could have been involved
Well, they probably are involved, judging from how deep into the series they are at this point. At the very least, Relic is likely consulting with some of their devs on this since they know AoE better than anyone outside of former Ensemble employees. Just a hunch, mind you, I don't have any real proof at this point.

DryvBy

I really hope this is more like AOE1+2 and not a clone of CoH/DoW. Otherwise, the name "AOE" means nothing to this project. I don't care about brand recognition as much as keeping the style the same: RTS mixed with economy and tech gameplay.

most of the RTS games after aok capped out at similar limits. rise of nations. age of myth, age 3, age online. starcraft 2

they'll probably have higher pop limits as an option, but the game requires very fine control of villagers and small skirmish forces

Laiza

What did people dislike about Dawn of War 3? I never got a sense of what turned people off of it (i have never played it)
People wanted a sequel to either the first or the second game, but instead got something that's kind of in-between and didn't satisfy either camp, is pretty much what it comes down to.

TDLink

I feel like it would make sense for the starting "Age" to be pre-WW1. Then WW1 is a part of the progression and WW2 is the final Age.

Unai

So, I love CRPGs and Civilization, but I'm yet to get myself into a RTS game. What could be a good start that's available digitally and have a single player campaing? Age of Empires 3?

DryvBy

most of the RTS games after aok capped out at similar limits. rise of nations. age of myth, age 3, age online. starcraft 2

they'll probably have higher pop limits as an option, but the game requires very fine control of villagers and small skirmish forces

AOE2HD has a pop limit of 500 unmodded. Modded is unlimited. (And there's also a mod to enable dead bodies to stay forever, which is just crazy on a system).

AOE2 is the perfect RTS imo. I really hope this is an update on just that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This. It might get some changes, but their contract is to make an Age of Empires game, they'll still have MS watching them.

Dawn of War 3 was also the way it was because they weren't sure if people wanted Dawn of War 1, Dawn of War 2, or something with MOBA ideas infused, so they went with one third of each.

Here, it's a pretty clear vision.

Hektor

So, I love CRPGs and Civilization, but I'm yet to get myself into a RTS game. What could be a good start that's available digitally and have a single player campaing? Age of Empires 3?

AoE2 HD and AoM HD if you want something slow paced
http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/Age_of_Empires_II_HD/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/266840/Age_of_Mythology_Extended_Edition/

Starcraft Remastered and Starcraft 2(Available on Bnet) when you want something fast paced.

Lmao. PC has more Microsoft exclusives than the Xbox one X does. Hahahaha.

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited for this game and we'll asare that it should onlly be played with KB&M, but it just boggles my mind that they're launching a new console and the only new exclusive they have isn't even gonna be playable on it.

sohois

Villagers? Only in the dark ages, once your Econ is going your mostly just grabbing a bunch and building a resource camp. The main challenge of the game is managing small skirmish forces, an economy, a main force all at the same time. You won't see Cav archer micro in Imperial age, unless you're Daut

Top Bottom