• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

sammex

tumblr_o4n77kn8VB1qbu4r2o7_540.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is the "SHIELD's getting cancelled" a running gag? Because it's getting kinda old.
It's not a gag, it does horribly in the ratings. Last season only one scripted show on ABC did worse and didn't get cancelled, Quantico. In fact, six scripted shows did better in the ratings on ABC and got cancelled. If Disney didn't own both Marvel and ABC it would've been long dead.

Christian

It's not a gag, it does horribly in the ratings. Last season only one scripted show on ABC did worse and didn't get cancelled, Quantico. In fact, six scripted shows did better in the ratings on ABC and got cancelled. If Disney didn't own both Marvel and ABC it would've been long dead.

Doesn't it do really well streaming for the 18 to 35 age range, though? I'm not saying that it won't get cancelled this year, but there are reasons to keep it around besides just live ratings.

LionPride

Banned
Doesn't it do really well streaming for the 18 to 35 age range, though? I'm not saying that it won't get cancelled this year, but there are reasons to keep it around besides just live ratings.
The show has been moved to Friday, with ratings in terms of the live sense being abysmal and streaming being good for them but no one watches the show

kirblar

The show has been moved to Friday, with ratings in terms of the live sense being abysmal and streaming being good for them but no one watches the show
Feels like the show does better in international syndication and such than it does directly in the US live market. Getting an S5 is great, more would be gravy if they can finance it on the back end like that.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I am thrilled that we are getting S5 and by all means I think everyone expects it to be the last.

This way we can not only have a satisfying & planned end, it will also coincide with Infinity War.

Couldn't ask for more!

Pachimari

Going into season 5 I'm totally expecting it to be the last season. And expecting a finish. I will only be pleasantly surprised if it gets renewed but I really don't think that'll happen.

I just want them to have a new weekly show ready for ABC by then.

I pretty much knew season 4 was going to be the end. I told my aunt all last year "The ratings are really really bad, I think it's about definite to get cancelled."

She always responded back "Nope. It will have at least five seasons."

She loved this show. She died in July. Random massive heart attack. She was one of my best friends. We'd talk about this show (and dozens of other comic book shows) all the time. She was a huge nerd.

Also she'd been speculating on when Coulson and May were going to get together. She died before she'd watched season 4. Waiting for a week in which she could burn through it on Netflix. In hindsight I could have spoiled it for her... but who the hell thinks their 68 year old aunt is going to die from a massive heart attack?

Now I'm sad.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I pretty much knew season 4 was going to be the end. I told my aunt all last year "The ratings are really really bad, I think it's about definite to get cancelled."

She loved this show. She died in July. Random massive heart attack. She was one of my best friends. We'd talk about this show (and dozens of other comic book shows) all the time. She was a huge nerd.

Also she'd been speculating on when Coulson and May were going to get together. She died before she'd watched season 4. Waiting for a week in which she could burn through it on Netflix. In hindsight I could have spoiled it for her... but who the hell thinks their 68 year old aunt is going to die from a massive heart attack?

Now I'm sad.
sorry for your loss

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Now I'm sad.

I'm sorry, man, that really sucks. =\

sorry for your loss

I'm sorry, man, that really sucks. =\
Thanks guys.

Also for a bit of levity or brevity. Her favorite movie of 2016 was Deadpool. She told me she realized Arrow was one of her favorite shows ever the second Amell did the salmon ladder.

She was a sarcastic, pot smoking, tiny old jewish lady looking, GI Jane haircut sporting, insanely nerdy badass.

Like everyone she had her flaws. She only ate highly processed crap. She was highly conspiracy minded. She didn't vote because of that. She did have political views, but they veered from extreme to extreme "Government should be run like a business! Americans demand a basic income and Socialized medicine! The last time I voted it was for Perot."

But she was my aunt. One of my best friends. She could recite Little Shop of Horrors both movie and play verbatim. She introduced me to Mel Brooks movies when I was a kid. And In Living Color.

She was always trying to get a laugh out of you. Crazily awesome, or awesomely crazy.

Hadn't opened up on this one with GAF yet. Thanks for being understanding everyone. GAF has always given me a sense of community, sharing both the good and bad is always helpful.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Your aunt sounded awesome Thunder Monkey.

spysgoodbyecoulson.gif

I'm glad we're getting an S5. It'll probably be the last, but this show has overcome some damn harsh obstacles and it turned out pretty good.

Your aunt sounded awesome Thunder Monkey.

spysgoodbyecoulson.gif

I'm glad we're getting an S5. It'll probably be the last, but this show has overcome some damn harsh obstacles and it turned out pretty good.
Hell it's turned out damn good I'd say.

Not to turn this into a competition or anything, but the first season of this show was kinda bad. Like kinda really bad. It showed potential, but whiffed it every time it was given a shot. Meanwhile the Flash fired on all cylinders from go. It seemed like the writers, directors, everyone involved knew what the potential was, and how to use it... then season 2 happened. And then 3...

Flash in two and three wanted to replicate the conditions that made the first season successful, seemingly not realizing that retreading the same story every year is going to get dull fast. Especially when the speedsters don't measure up to the pure terror of season 1 Eobard.

Shield... well they just keep throwing random shit at the wall and seeing what they can shape of it. So far it's working beautifully. In season 4 we even got three full, distinct, storylines! Kind of four if you think of the first three or four eps as prologue.

I feel no shame at all in saying that Shield is my favorite comic book show on air today. I love the goofiness of Legends of Tomorrow, Arrow was shockingly good in season 5 too. Jessica Jones, Defenders, Luke Cage, and Daredevil are good too... but I really love what Team Coulson has become over the years. I'm heavily invested in the growth of Fitz and Simmons. Their dynamic has changed so much, and it was used for some beautiful, heart breaking scenes last season.

But it's not only them. Daisy is becoming a very impressive leader. Starting from hackivist to full blown badass agent. Mack... this last season has explained so much about the character. And he had some of the most blissfully happy, and painful scenes of the series. That last arc in particular... wow. And ow... all the feels in the universe for that man.

And then there's Coulson and May... those two always had more chemistry together than they did with those they were paired up with. So duh.

Yeah, I'm completely invested and ecstatic that it gets a fifth season. They took a trite scifi trope in the "Simulated World" and did something incredible with it.

I can't wait to see where season 5 takes them.

I was so happy when season 5 was announced ;__;

But seeing as it already was on the verge of cancellation this pretty much confirms that this will most likely be the last.

Make it a good one!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Disney’s reasons for mandating ABC renew Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are unknown, but fans may take it as the company having faith in the showrunners of the series and the viewers’ interest in the continued stories of Phil Coulson and his team.

"Look, we've got Scott Buck bullshit on the way, and SHIELD has a good reputation now. We need to protect the brand if we want to keep doing stuff on TV."

Saw the pilot episodes of Inhumans in theaters, and I learned more about their relationships, powers and origins from reading modern back-issues of FF than in this show.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I have to say... Yo-yo kind of won me over during the last couple of episodes.

I still think she's better in small doses, though. I don't know why, but I find her acting a bit... jarring?

Random aside...

Looks like The Orville is a decent show. Not as bad as the promos made it look anyway. I guess Adrianne Palicki is gone for good, but at least she found something decent!

Top Bottom