• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

Dmax3901

Ok so just dropping in here cause I don't want spoilers, but I just watched ep 7.

As a straight white Australian male, I was a little confused by some parts of this ep, what point is Glover trying to make? At time it seemed like he was equating the black dude thinking he's a white man, with trans people.

Dmax3901

Google Rachel Dolezal if you haven't heard of her.

I have heard of her, and I get it was a reference to that. Why bring that up in an episode centered around trans people though? It came across as "look how crazy this dude is, just like trans people".

Like Paper Boi expresses himself and says you know tolerance is tolerance, which was all fine and interesting, but I just thought the black dude thinking he was a white dude sketch was a bit strange, especially when so many people out there still think trans people are just crazy.

Enzom21

I have heard of her, and I get it was a reference to that. Why bring that up in an episode centered around trans people though? It came across as "look how crazy this dude is, just like trans people".

Like Paper Boi expresses himself and says you know tolerance is tolerance, which was all fine and interesting, but I just thought the black dude thinking he was a white dude sketch was a bit strange, especially when so many people out there still think trans people are just crazy.
It wasn't an attack on trans people, it was satirizing the Rachel Dolezal fiasco. The whole "trans-racial" nonsense was ridiculous and insulting to trans people and was only entertained because she was white and it was also used to attack trans people.

If you knew about Dolezal, how did you not get that?

Dmax3901

It wasn't an attack on trans people, it was satirizing the Rachel Dolezal fiasco. The whole "trans-racial" nonsense was ridiculous and insulting to trans people and was only entertained because she was white and it was also used to attack trans people.

If you knew about Dolezal, how did you not get that?

I guess it wasn't 100% clear to me what this episode was trying to get across. Is it ok for him to call women bitches in rap songs? Is it ok for him to say trans people look weird? These questions were asked and I couldn't tell if Glover was saying "look how ridiculous these questions are" or not.

I'm not saying screw Donald Glover or anything, honestly just interested in the discussion. I was laughing a lot in this episode which is part of what's confusing me I think lol.

iddqd

Late to this party but this show is amazing.
Stumbled over Episode 1 and was hooked.
Super well done and weird in the right way. Hope more and more people find this gem.

LionPride

Banned
Late to this party but this show is amazing.
Stumbled over Episode 1 and was hooked.
Super well done and weird in the right way. Hope more and more people find this gem.
I mean, it was one of the most critically acclaimed shows in 2016. Plenty of people have watched it

iddqd

I mean, it was one of the most critically acclaimed shows in 2016. Plenty of people have watched it

Yes, I saw it on the 2016 lists but not one of my friends / family or co workers had even heard of it.
Might be my specific bubble but there are some fairly up to date people here and there.

I mean even I had SEEN that it exists but was just to busy or not hooked to search for it.

LionPride

Banned
Yes, I saw it on the 2016 lists but not one of my friends / family or co workers had even heard of it.
Might be my specific bubble but there are some fairly up to date people here and there.

I mean even I had SEEN that it exists but was just to busy or not hooked to search for it.
I'm young and hang around people who watch a lot of TV, especially weird shit. Atlanta fit. Plus me telling every minority to watch this shit cuz oh my god so good

... I don't think you understand how TV ratings work
I ain't talkin bout TV ratings, where Atlanta also did well I believe

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I ain't talkin bout TV ratings, where Atlanta also did well I believe
It did. The premiere had the best ratings of any basic cable comedy in three years, and the second episode retained 92% of its audience. The season also kept consistent ratings throughout.

It did invite an increasingly non-white audience while alienating some white viewers, which does play on the show appearing to not have enough buzz in certain circles, but that's a different discussion.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
at the Critic's Choice awards Atlanta lost to Silicon Valley for Best Comedy Series, but Lakeith Stanfield graciously accepted the honor regardless

Donald did win best actor at least https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AF0uODwf2k
"no idea who that was" lol.

Congrats to Donald!

CzdMZf5VIAAN1tv.jpg

CzcKWoGVIAAGzcC.jpg

As expected and previously discussed:

- ‘Atlanta’ Season 2 Delayed Until 2018
It will be a long wait for Atlanta fans to see Donald Glover’s followup to the breakout first season of his FX comedy series. The network announced at TCA this morning that the acclaimed comedy will not air in 2017, with Season 2 slated for 2018 due to Glover’s production schedule.

Glover, of course, has a big movie commitment, playing Lando Calrissian in the Han Solo Star Wars movie, which will film this year for a 2018 release. For Glover, that has been a dream role. “Lando’s a big deal to me,” he said at the Golden Globes on Sunday. “It was literally the first toy I ever got.”

At the Globes, Glover landed two awards as Atlanta won best comedy series and he was named best actor in a comedy series.

Hailed as one of the best new comedies of 2016, Atlanta also won the Critics’ Choice Award for Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, and Glover was recently nominated for a WGA Award and DGA Award. Atlanta also has been a ratings breakout, ranking as basic cable’s most-watched new comedy in three years in Adults 18-49 and the highest-rated comedy in FX Networks’ history, averaging 4.84 million total viewers across all linear and non-linear platforms.

While this is not a new paradigm for FX, which has another praised comedy series, Louis CK’s Louie, on an extended hiatus for the second time, it is rather unusual for such a break to come so early in the series’ run but the circumstances are rather unusual as Glover is the main creative force and main star of the show, so his big film commitment makes it very hard to produce a new season of Atlanta at the same time.

And while Glover won’t be able to deliver a second season of Atlanta until 2018, in the meanwhile he may develop new series for Atlanta studio FX Prods. under the new overall deal he just signed there.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
And while Glover won’t be able to deliver a second season of Atlanta until 2018, in the meanwhile he may develop new series for Atlanta studio FX Prods. under the new overall deal he just signed there.

Glover too powerful...lawl.

Donos

Wow that show. It's weird and that makes is really awesome.

And the scene at the shooting range... i totally can see this happening in real life like that (someone complaining that you shoot at dogs, while themself shooting at human like targets)

Darius strongly reminds me of (unbuff) Dave Chapelle.

Top Bottom