• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full trailer for "Atlanta" on FX (starring Donald Glover, debuts on September 6th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't listen to his music. My brother does though. To me he came across as a derivative of Drake.

You're not wrong. Both Drake and Gambino are in the same mold: rappers-singers that people don't take seriously. However, while Drake leaned into that image, Gambino's trying to differentiate himself from that. He doesn't want to be that comedy dude who raps, he wants to be taken seriously. A lot of stuff on Because The Internet, thematically at least, explored the same space as "Take Care" did: loneliness, love, emptiness, etc. However, what Glover is appearing to do that post-"Take Care" Drake didn't do is furthering the artistry of Gambino. A lot of people give him shit for being a comedy rapper with an emphasis on witty wordplay instead of something more meaningful, but he's gotten a lot better. ROYALTY featured a shit-ton of people who since blew up (Schoolboy Q, Danny Brown, HAIM, Kristen Schaal), implying that he has an ear for talent. BTI featured a strong set of core themes that grounded a really flimsy and superficial script that seemed more focused on ennui than something cohesive. If anything, whatever his third album is or will be should use those two as its pillars and really deliver something meaningful. Plus, another song in the vein of "3005" or the beach version would be too dope.

Why was his mixtape called STN MTN? That's where I grew up in Stone Mountain off of Redan Road. Yes, I'm a Redan Raider. LOL
I wasn't too far away from you over there on Deshon Rd. I would have gone to Stephenson High but I bussed across town for Chamblee's magnet program.

We have Donald Glover and Apollo Crews from the WWE.

Not

Banned
I'm a white guy from Eugene, Oregon.

Just being in the Atlanta airport for 3 hours was rad.

Donald Glover annoys the hell out of me but this looks like it could be good.

I liked Because the Internet. Haven't heard it for 3 years tho

Plus Troy is legendary

Ivan 3414

I never wanted this show to be about diversity; all that shit is wack to me.

I wonder if he meant diversity within the show, or diversity pertaining to the show itself among majority of shows about white people. Or maybe both

from the context of the article, it seems like he's not into sacrificing being funny for being politically correct.

I've actually never seen community or heard him rap so I have no idea if that matters or not

TheOddOne

- THR: 'Atlanta': TV Review.
In so many such ways, Atlanta seems like a movie that is signaling the coming out of a major, unique voice. Glover has conceptualized a world he wants to document and, like Aziz Ansari's Master of None, his show feels fresh and deceptively simple while also being assured. There's something akin to Louie in both Master of None and Atlanta, and perhaps the through-line is each series is centered around idiosyncratic comic actors given a chance to take a larger creative leap for the first time on their own. Beyond that, the similarities end, as the shows take place essentially in three very different worlds.
Once you get through a handful of episodes it's evident that Glover has chosen wisely all around — Henry, Stanfield and Beetz are casting coups (and though the first two have more varied work to their credit, you get the distinct sense they all will definitely break out). And Murai's showing here can't be undersold — there's a real visual stamp on Atlanta, ethereal moments of characters doing nothing more than existing where you can feel the heat of the day, the boredom of time spent indoors, the danger of what might happen at night.
And maybe that cuts back to that vibe, that feel, which is at the heart of Atlanta. The show probably isn't broad enough or broadly funny enough to connect to a massive audience, but neither does it seem to pull up and park in that all-too-familiar (and boring) cul-de-sac of half-hour comedies that want to navel-gaze about marriage or family or late-forties malaise or copious other First World (and overwhelmingly white) problems.

Instead, the series is wholly original in that it's an existential young black comedy about surviving the day — without explicitly trying to be representative of any of those things. Its simplicity and execution are shockingly self-assured as it avoids being pigeonholed. And in that, Atlanta immediately becomes one of the most fascinating shows on television.
Has anybody signed up for the OT?

Epcott

I'm liking what I'm seeing of this show. He mentioned a while back this would be "Like Twin Peaks for rappers", I wonder if that still holds true?

Such an underrated hip hop artist. Also looking forward to his new album next month.

Durden77

Atlanta's blowing up so much. So weird, I live just blocks away from where this is being filmed. I'm go to that Zestos for milkshakes hardcore.

It's an FX show, so I assumed Cornballer was doing it (as well as the one for Better Things).
I'll take your word for it :p
I thought RBH might want to take a crack at it since he's been covering the show so far, but I can put together the OT if not. Or someone else can call dibs.

I'll do Better Things (since no one else will and it's been reviewing well) and You're The Worst should be up today.

TheOddOne

I thought RBH might want to take a crack at it since he's been covering the show so far, but I can put together the OT if not. Or someone else can call dibs.

I'll do Better Things (since no one else will and it's been reviewing well) and You're The Worst should be up today.
Cool.

We at least have our bases covered.

ZeroX03

Banned
Too subtle. You need to, like, wink or touch your finger to your nose or something.

LSluPGE.gif

TheOddOne

- TVLine: Atlanta Review: Donald Glover's FX Series Has Smooth, Engaging Cadence.
All told, Atlanta (premiering Tuesday, Sept. 6 at 10/9c) is a sometimes-quiet, contemplative series, never manufacturing spectacle or over-the-top drama in order to propel its narrative. An intense drug deal plays out with character-based nuance, more about the personalities in the room than the chance that guns will start blazing, while an episode set largely in the holding room of a jail finds drama in the assorted, transfixing plights of one-off characters.

RBH

I'll let someone else create the OT, I'm not going to have enough time to create a proper OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom