• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

TheOddOne

129yzj.png

reviewsxxq18.png

- TVLine: Atlanta Review: Donald Glover's FX Series Has Smooth, Engaging Cadence.
All told, Atlanta (premiering Tuesday, Sept. 6 at 10/9c) is a sometimes-quiet, contemplative series, never manufacturing spectacle or over-the-top drama in order to propel its narrative. An intense drug deal plays out with character-based nuance, more about the personalities in the room than the chance that guns will start blazing, while an episode set largely in the holding room of a jail finds drama in the assorted, transfixing plights of one-off characters.
- THR: 'Atlanta': TV Review.
And maybe that cuts back to that vibe, that feel, which is at the heart of Atlanta. The show probably isn't broad enough or broadly funny enough to connect to a massive audience, but neither does it seem to pull up and park in that all-too-familiar (and boring) cul-de-sac of half-hour comedies that want to navel-gaze about marriage or family or late-forties malaise or copious other First World (and overwhelmingly white) problems.

Instead, the series is wholly original in that it's an existential young black comedy about surviving the day — without explicitly trying to be representative of any of those things. Its simplicity and execution are shockingly self-assured as it avoids being pigeonholed. And in that, Atlanta immediately becomes one of the most fascinating shows on television.

realwords

Watched the first episode via a press event. Very intrigued so far -- it felt VERY authentic to the city (I'm from Atlanta) and noticed a ton of landmarks and local spots from around where I'm from. Very excited to see the rest!

IronRinn

Definitely going to give this a shot, but I remain confused as to why Glover invoked Twin Peaks when describing this show.

- Collider review
Like Baskets or even Louie, Atlanta is a deeply specific portrait of a certain way of life, one that’s often desperate but that’s tempered—for our benefit—by a casual, sometimes even caustic humor. These moments are occasionally punctuated by bursts of violence, some of them shocking, but it never feels like there’s a statement being made so much as truth being shown. And as referential as the show is, it never feels obtuse or difficult for those unfamiliar with the world it portrays. Atlanta is a complicated city, and Atlanta is a complicated show.

Four out of four stars.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Dammit. Saw 'Tuesdays' and thought that meant tonight.

Super excited for this.

tagrat

Watched the first episode via a press event. Very intrigued so far -- it felt VERY authentic to the city (I'm from Atlanta) and noticed a ton of landmarks and local spots from around where I'm from. Very excited to see the rest!

After that teaser where Earn is placing flyers on cars on Glenwood Ave I was in. Love the tone of every clip I've seen so far and I'm excited to see what locals they end up in.

I'm a huge fan of Donald Glover, can't wait to check this out but anyone know if this will be on Hulu or does FX have their own streaming service or something.

Very hyped for this show. The only weird thing to me is that of the 3 dudes in the key art, "Alfred" looks the LEAST like a "hot new rapper"... he looks like a dad.

- Sepinwall's review
But if Atlanta is a surprise, it's frequently an excellent one. (I've seen the first four episodes of the series, which debuts Tuesday night at 10.) Glover is new to creating a series on this scale, just as his lead director, music video veteran Hiro Murai, is new to this kind of narrative fiction, and where sometimes rookies make obvious rookie mistakes, Glover and Murai's relative inexperience results in a show that looks, feels, and sounds like nothing else on TV. There's a bit of DNA in common with the many other quasi-mumblecore half-hours, but stylistically and tonally, Atlanta is its own absorbing, and at times surprisingly funny, thing.

- Onion A|V Club review
Atlanta looks or sounds like little else on television entirely by default (not many shows feature white characters only in minor, peripheral roles), yet its mood and tenor can only be attributed to this creative team. The series exudes warmth and grace even in its smallest moments without losing sight of its sense of humor.

Grade A-

TheOddOne

- Variety: TV Review: FX’s ‘Atlanta’.
It’s so rare for a show to be by and about black people that “Atlanta” is instantly a political show — telling a tale from a historically disenfranchised milieu in a city that was the capital of a slave state just over 150 years ago. But “Atlanta” is not an issue show, set to preaching its sermon to like-minded masses. The show is so specific and genuine in its interest for these particular characters that it avoids the pitfalls of being the indie comedy about young black people (the same type of meta-problem that HBO’s “Girls” ran into when it attempted to be “the voice of a generation”).

And “Atlanta” is laugh-out-loud funny, in a way that has the viewer cackling during a scene where the characters are totally silent. Unlike a sitcom full of punch lines, wordplay, and setups, “Atlanta” takes its time to build to its humor. But when it does get there, it’s hilarious.

- Matt Zoller Seitz for NY Mag: Donald Glover’s Atlanta and Pamela Adlon’s Better Things Take the Auteur Sitcom to New Heights
As impressive as these characters and stories are, the filmmaking is even more noteworthy. I’ve been a TV critic for over 20 years, and I’ve never seen directing and editing in a half-hour series as minimalist, precise, yet full of feeling as what’s been achieved here by Adlon and Glover and their collaborators (whose ranks include veteran music-video director Hiro Murai on Atlanta) — it’s the closest that scripted TV has gotten to the spare literary fiction of Charles Portis or Raymond Carver, who could sum up a relationship in five sentences of description and a bit of Ping-Pong dialogue. Miraculously, though, this economy of gesture never makes it feel as if Atlanta or Better Things were just trying to leapfrog to the next plot point or cheap laugh, as is too often the case in today’s sitcom landscape of gag-driven, hyperactively edited, “Remember when this happened?” comedy. In fact, there are long stretches where you could say that “nothing is happening” — if by “nothing” you mean a shot of friends smoking weed in the suburban-Atlanta countryside at magic hour while cicadas whir, or a woman watching a maybe-boyfriend drive home after a disastrous dinner, his car slowly vanishing into the Los Angeles smog. These shows have the pulse of life.
- Tampa Bay Times: Donald Glover's 'Atlanta' a distinct, leisurely look at the reality of Dirty South rap
Atlanta is an odd, hard-to-define show, one that drifts along at its own leisurely, Southern pace with seemingly little desire to fit the convenient trappings of other shows.

Parts of Atlanta feel like a prestige drama, a beautifully filmed portrait of an underrepresented community whose characters are grounded in unglamorous reality. But at a half-hour, it’s never the depressing, arty slog those shows often turn out to be. Its title and setting imply a gritty urban setting, yet the action often lingers in Atlanta’s suburban, even rural fringes. It’s not really a comedy, yet it has a light touch. It feels rational and reasonable, not overstylized and mythic. Imagine The Wire filtered through Master of None, or Hustle & Flow by way of Louie. (But definitely not Twin Peaks with rappers.)
- Newsday: Donald Glover’s big talents shine in new FX show
The TV breakout Glover fans have been waiting for, also unlike anything else on TV.
- Slant Magazine: Atlanta: Season One
Atlanta exhilaratingly explores the complicated intersections between pop culture, capitalism, and crime, revealing them all to be united by the notion of sales trumping morality and even reality.

Mariolee

I am so excited. Feels like forever since we first got word Donald was working on this project. Probably ever since or before he left Community. I am all in. It looks fantastic and gorgeous.

Man I really dislike Glover / Gambino but every clip / promo of this show looks really great. Gonna have to put my feelings aside and watch it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I didn't even know about Better Things! Between these two and You're The Worst, I think I'm just going to leave my TV tuned to FX all season.

Top Bottom