• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legion |OT| Insert X-Men Meme - Wednesdays 10/9c on FX

"I can't reconcile where Oliver came from (or when). Last I recall he dissipated after absorbing the bullets headed towards Syd & David. Clearly I missed something that brought him back in this ep. Thanks"

Oliver was always inside of a room at Summerland. He didn't absorb the bullets headed towards Syd & David, David caught them. What was at David's old house was Oliver's mental projection while they were all in the Astral Plane. After they put the halo on David and went back to Summerland, Oliver had awoken from his coma.

hydruxo

I can't reconcile where Oliver came from (or when). Last I recall he dissipated after absorbing the bullets headed towards Syd & David. Clearly I missed something that brought him back in this ep. Thanks

He dissipated after SK threw him against the wall when he was forming the shield to save Syd & David, but that wasn't actually Oliver appearing in reality at that moment. Melanie says at one point that Oliver used to be able to travel back and forth between the astral plane and reality whenever he wanted to, but he got too caught up in his mind. His body was cryogenically frozen and my assumption is he managed to get back to his body and out of the astral plane.

"I can't reconcile where Oliver came from (or when). Last I recall he dissipated after absorbing the bullets headed towards Syd & David. Clearly I missed something that brought him back in this ep. Thanks"

Oliver was always inside of a room at Summerland. He didn't absorb the bullets headed towards Syd & David, David caught them. What was at David's old house was Oliver's mental projection while they were all in the Astral Plane. After they put the halo on David and went back to Summerland, Oliver had awoken from his coma.

Just rewatched. Totally forgot about the catching of bullets. He was making a shield and Lenny tackled him. Makes since that he was projecting but now he's woke. And I totally forgot about the breakfast scenes. I need to binge watch...too much stuff to forget from week to week. Thanks again.

Am I supposed like David?

Couldnt even get through 1st episode. I hate the main character and the actor. The setting and editing is unlikeable. Its like theyre trying too hard to make it confusing to the viewer.
Does this get better or does the 1st episode setup on how the rest of the show is?
(turned it off when the dancing scene came on, my brain could only take so much nonsense)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Couldnt even get through 1st episode. I hate the main character and the actor. The setting and editing is unlikeable. Its like theyre trying too hard to make it confusing to the viewer.
Does this get better or does the 1st episode setup on how the rest of the show is?
(turned it off when the dancing scene came on, my brain could only take so much nonsense)
This is not a show for you.

~Kinggi~

Banned
LMao, so this season was great, but gotta admit, a bit disappointed in the last episode. I mean it was alright, but this show has been so batshit and out there, that the last episode kind of felt flat. And also, if it werent for GAF i wouldnt have known to look for a post credits scene, and lmao that scene sure did change a whole lot. So yeah, mixed feelings all over the place. Very different and well done show but i feel a bit squandered opportunity to drive it home.

Don't like the editing in the first ep ? It might be best that you step back and drop the show.

Like there is nothing confusing in the first episode that isn't explained in the first episode. Most of the discovery comes afterward.
You're actually supposed to be confused, you're actually supposed to try to piece things together with the MC.

But don't think too much about it , if it's too hard , just drop the show

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finale was better than most episodes in the season because it actually felt eventful and was a fresh change of pace throughout, but was pretty anticlimactic with how they set up the next season as those teasers kind of sucked. Overall a pretty middling show that suffers in pretty much every respect across the board except for the acting (the token Black guy who's accordingly given little to work with and Kerry are horrible, but everyone else was great), music, and production value. Kind of tragic how expensive this show looks only for it to be pretty underwhelming.

Cinematography/"look" is a bit more subjective, I think pretty much every episode had a slew of truly incredible shots and great use of colour but the show is so overindulgent and scatterbrain in how it presents them all (and the purpose they serve) that by the second episode it was really, really eye-roll worthy, and the execution of this probably one of the biggest things that brought the show down for me.

Oliver and Lenny bits are the show at it's best. Great, thoughtful and relevant visual direction, quirkiness, interactions where you feel you are learning the most about the characters, and they're just distinct and likable outright. Syd was great too, though I found it really hard to stay interested in Cary/Kerry and Melanie's storylines.

Noticed this as I watched the finale, they really haven't made an effort to make the character likable, relatable, or identifiable because he's given very little material to work with and what's there is kind of bleh (various shades of confusion for the majority of the season).

I think the actor plays what he's given really well, but he's not given much to work off of. Shame because I think there was great potential there to tackle mental illness and self-doubt through more of his emotions and talking about his feelings but the producers opted for a flood of glitzy, overwrought memory and projected sequences instead that in effect make his condition feel more straightforward than I imagine it is. What positioned this show to be unique and what it's championed for diverging from superhero cliche turned out pretty undercooked, and the finale (spoilers, obv)
where David isn't freed by any realization or character development that was built towards, but the byproduct of yet another machination of the villain
kind of cements that. If they continue the mental illness thread into Season 2 (spoilers)
past Farooq leaving his body and implying that he isn't the only source of David's tribulations
, I think there's still potential for this show if they get the writing together, especially with how they leave David at the end. Opens up possibilities that are very different from what Season 1 focused around.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Why should it be a goal that David be likable? I find him scary and sometimes wonder if I should be cheering for Division 3, and I like that just fine.

Probably not anymore, with the beginning of the episode... :)

I enjoyed the finale. Sure, it wasn't as crazy as the previous episode, but the show can't be 100% batshit all the time. It did a good job of wrapping things up and setting up season 2. Really love the series overall, it's unlike anything out there. I usually hate weird-for-the-sake-of-weird stuff, but in this case it just works. Many parts are confusing at first, but stuff that doesn't seem to make sense is generally soon explained and you go "oooh, that's what that was about," so I never found it frustrating or too self-indulgent.

CloudWolf

David doesn't need to be likeable, he's a scary motherfucker. In fact, most of the show is ambiguous as to who's good and bad (not counting Farooq of course). Like Melanie in the last episode basically threatening the entirety of the human race or Ptolemy advising they should just murder them all.

Thought the finale was disappointingly by-the-numbers and lacked a lot of the cooler visuals a lot of the other episodes had, but it was fine overall and the show itself was definitely amazing.

The very end seemed unnecessary but was fittingly weird for this show, haha. But seriously though, you see a weird drone at your (not so) secret mutant base and you treat it like a stray puppy. And then it SLOWLY floats away with your boyfriend inside screaming and you just stand there.

JoeNut

there was a post credits scene? WHY DO THEY FUCKING DO THAT SHIT!!!?

That's such a huge bummer, i've deleted it off my TiVo now

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
wtf? so random

Its likely that it is what Division 3 referred to earlier in the episode as the Equinox. Whether it is them or something else (some speculating Mojo because of the technological difference). i guess we will just have to wait and see.

So.. anyone think that SK found what he was looking for in Olivers mind? The whole "What did he do with it?" thing wasnt answered afaik. It seems likely that Oliver was a contemporary of Professor X so its possible he knows where whatever "it" is. Right after SK gets into Oliver he is singing a happy tune and immediately gets in a car and starts heading south.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think they said Logan was more of a could be type of thing. It's akin to these The End GNs that Marvel used to do that shows the potential, usually dark and depressing, end point for a character. But of course they will never really end, so it's just one way it could go.

It follows those events, but they're treating it as one possible future for those characters, not the definitive end.

Huh. That's odd. (and confusing)

hydruxo

Thought the finale was disappointingly by-the-numbers and lacked a lot of the cooler visuals a lot of the other episodes had, but it was fine overall and the show itself was definitely amazing.

The very end seemed unnecessary but was fittingly weird for this show, haha. But seriously though, you see a weird drone at your (not so) secret mutant base and you treat it like a stray puppy. And then it SLOWLY floats away with your boyfriend inside screaming and you just stand there.

Well they thought it was one of Cary's experiments at first, David even says that out loud. Syd's reaction was a little weird, but at the same time what else do you do when your boyfriend gets absorbed into a floating orb? There's nothing she can really do but go get the others

Viewt

Just caught up with this last night. I actually really loved the finale, though there were a couple rough spots. Mostly just that, because the finale needed to do a lot of heavy lifting story-wise, they couldn't just lean into the weird full-tilt and let it be its own thing like they've done with most of the other episodes.

But there was so much to love, as well. I really appreciated the scene between David and Shadow King where David's talking about him like a phantom limb that he'll almost miss, because he's never really known life without him. They've been together basically David's entire life, and there's something a little sad about them parting.

I also really liked the intro sequence with the D3 guy, and I'm hoping he's back for Season 2, because he has great chemistry with the rest of the cast. And holy shit at Jean Smart having the line of the episode: "You better learn to fly like a bird, honey, because the age of the dinosaurs is over."

And I'll admit, I'm a sucker for a good outro, and Oliver and Shadow King riding down south to "somewhere warmer" set to Children of the Revolution was amazing. It also makes sense considering
we know they're shooting Season 2 in California

As far as the SK storyline stretching into Season 2, I'm not that bothered by it. Season 1 is still the story of David learning about his powers and ridding himself of an evil parasite. I don't need every superhero story to end with the villain's death - there's something to be said for letting these characters own their own destinies, and not wrapping everything up in a neat bow. I totally understand that some folks wanted a more definitive ending, but I dug it. Plus, now we get more Aubrey Plaza, who has been nothing short of brilliant this whole season.

I'll join most of you in thinking that the mid-credits scene was pretty out-of-place, but it's ultimately just a tease for next year, so I can let that go. Between two seasons of Fargo and this, Hawley hasn't let me down yet, so I'm onboard for whatever he's got cooking.

I'd probably give this episode a B+, and an A- to the season overall. I fucking loved it. Can't wait for Season 2.

fuckin Children of the Revolution

WOW

RIGHT?

Alpende

Quite liked the finale, they resolved all of the storylines and set up season 2 nicely. I really dug the scene with The Shadow King jumping from body to body.

jelly

I was a bit confused by all the powers, does the Shadow King retain them after swapping bodies ?

Couldn't the Shadow King have jumped bodies anytime or only decided at that point because it had no choice and if so, wouldn't that mean the machine would have worked. I suppose possibly damage to him though.

I would have preferred they end this arc but maybe it will be good in season 2.

Arkeband

Banned

Dan Stevens is an incredible actor, but he does spend a lot of time in the spastic and twitchy in this series. The first episode is a bit hard to follow and I was initially afraid it would be another Mr. Robot where you can't trust anything you're being shown, but by episode 2 those fears are allayed. Everything you're seeing is happening, everyone is real, but there's something a bit like Inception going on. It is very obvious and forthcoming with keeping the viewer aware of what they're looking at.

Dysun

It follows those events, but they're treating it as one possible future for those characters, not the definitive end.

I don't see why there is confusion about this point, it seemed like that was always the intent until the release of the movie. The X-Men movies have played fast and loose with timelines, so why the strict adherence to force a square peg into a round hole
On the topic of Legion, it also feels the same way.

Good season, although the finale was a bit lesser than what had come before. Looking forward to Audrey Plaza sticking around.

Sir Doom

I really like the old tech environment they use for the show. In the present setting Also not-Jubilee is good too

When I first saw Oliver I thought he was the Shadow King because of his old timey look, but that work at the end

That's the finale. I really want more wrapped with the team 🤷*♂️

For a show about Legion, they seem to be completely avoiding the central idea of the character

Like I realise the show planted the seed in the 8th episode with David questioning whether any of the people he's met are even real or not but I was hoping we would get one of his personalities to manifest by the finale. We keep getting those clips of him cowering as a crowd is screaming around him, which I assumed was the many personalities hidden inside of him, but it's not really followed up on in the season.

The Shadow King plotline while interesting feels like it hijacked the part of Legion's character that was cool

Hopefully season 2 addresses this stuff

krazen

For a show about Legion, they seem to be completely avoiding the central idea of the character

Like I realise the show planted the seed in the 8th episode with David questioning whether any of the people he's met are even real or not but I was hoping we would get one of his personalities to manifest by the finale. We keep getting those clips of him cowering as a crowd is screaming around him, which I assumed was the many personalities hidden inside of him, but it's not really followed up on in the season.

The Shadow King plotline while interesting feels like it hijacked the part of Legion's character that was cool

I dont know. Legion's split powers/personalities are basically plot points as opposed to characterization. I expect the splits will show up but hopefully similar to the shadow king struggle; not like 3, 4 simple personalities, "the gay one! the childish one!" acting generic

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Any bets on Oliver being the big bad for next season?

nr9DX14.jpg

Mossybrew

Haven't seen the finale yet since it's not up on Hulu.

Overall I really dig the show, it feels really different. However there are too many moments when the vibe goes abruptly from cool to cheesy. It's kind of weird. It's like the show is almost there, but then certain scenes or details or characters just seem a bit hokey/low budget and I kinda lose my suspension of disbelief momentarily.

Anyway looking forward to the finale and another season for sure.

hollomat

Banned
4 episodes in and I"m not sure if I'm going to continue. Huge fan of Noah and love Fargo season 1 and season 2.

I don't like the unreliable narrator, fractured narrative he's employing here. I understand it's meant to resemble David's mental state and the fractured narrative gets less fractured as David's mental state improves, however I don't like it. It makes the story much harder to follow and I'm not sure what's happening and what's in his head. I understand that's the entire point, but I guess that's why I probably won't continue.

It's getting fantastic reviews and its from the creator of the Fargo tv series which is why I checked it out, however in my opinion it just seems extremely pretentious and too full of itself. Way more style over substance.

platakul

Banned

He did at least manifest the firestarter in the first episode I guess. I think those personalities coming out and Legion having to deal with them outside The Shadow King is how they'll get to maintain ultra weirdness in s2 now that everything is on the table

Grazzt

4 episodes in and I"m not sure if I'm going to continue. Huge fan of Noah and love Fargo season 1 and season 2.

I don't like the unreliable narrator, fractured narrative he's employing here. I understand it's meant to resemble David's mental state and the fractured narrative gets less fractured as David's mental state improves, however I don't like it. It makes the story much harder to follow and I'm not sure what's happening and what's in his head. I understand that's the entire point, but I guess that's why I probably won't continue.

It's getting fantastic reviews and its from the creator of the Fargo tv series which is why I checked it out, however in my opinion it just seems extremely pretentious and too full of itself. Way more style over substance.
It only has 8 episodes and you have watched half of them, why not just finish it? And ep 5,6,7 are the best of the show.

kirblar

I think they decided to leave the hints in S1 but to save the reveal for S2.

Syd is almost certainly a second personality - there's too much weirdness surrounding her.

danowat

Banned
fuckin Children of the Revolution

WOW

AND Pink Floyd!

Final episode was epic.

The whole season has been arguably some of the slickest TV I've ever seen, the story did get a little flabby around the middle, almost felt a little drawn out, and the over use of repeated scenes got a little tiresome, but overall it was great, but dare I say it would have made a better 2hr movie rather an 8 ep season?

I just knew the moment he started
body jumping, that SK would end up in Oliver. I honestly thought that was where Kerry was heading in the first place (it even looked like she was going down that hallway. Oliver was clearly the most powerful mutant there besides David, if not more in control and dangerous because David is still so green. So the moment his shadow got thrown in that room I was almost disappointed, because I love Jermaine Clement and would've liked to see him just be a normal character, but he should do great as an antagonist.

But yeah, a little weak, but understandable to tie up the loose threads. All the Division 3 stuff is a bit too much, it should be a much smaller sideplot. There's just no actual tension when its guys with guns vs. mutants with mass telepathic abilities.

Season 2 should be amazing and its great to know Plaza is still gonna be involved, although I hope they build them up over Season 2 but they aren't the main antagonist, letting us get a big S3 rematch with a fully prepared and powered up SK.

Zakalwe

Banned
I just knew the moment he started
body jumping, that SK would end up in Oliver. I honestly thought that was where Kerry was heading in the first place (it even looked like she was going down that hallway. Oliver was clearly the most powerful mutant there besides David, if not more in control and dangerous because David is still so green. So the moment his shadow got thrown in that room I was almost disappointed, because I love Jermaine Clement and would've liked to see him just be a normal character, but he should do great as an antagonist.

But yeah, a little weak, but understandable to tie up the loose threads. All the Division 3 stuff is a bit too much, it should be a much smaller sideplot. There's just no actual tension when its guys with guns vs. mutants with mass telepathic abilities.

Season 2 should be amazing and its great to know Plaza is still gonna be involved, although I hope they build them up over Season 2 but they aren't the main antagonist, letting us get a big S3 rematch with a fully prepared and powered up SK.

Division 3 had Walter, who seemed completely unafraid of David and powerful in his own right. He provided plenty of tension.

They also have
The Equinox, whatever that is (post credits capture related probably),
and the way they spoke about it they seemed confident it would work (and at that point they have a good idea just how powerful David is).

They're not powerless, they just underestimated David's power.

Kinyou

I have to say I was hoping for more revelations in the finale. Overall was it a bit more by the numbers. What also disappoints me that compared to the comic,
David doesn't seem to have multiple personalities. At least is that what it looks like right now.

dlauv

What a trash finale.

Made by the same guy who made episode 2.

I hope we do get Mojo next season so they can ruse
Shadow King
's rubber suit.

Really enjoyed the series as a whole, but I agree with most people here that the finale was pretty weak, probably the weakest episode for a while. It had a few good moments like the intro scene and the tower of soldiers but focused too much on the same story of trying to get the shadow king out of David they've been dragging on for a bout 3 or 4 eps now. There was no real confrontation after all the build up, just a set up for season 2. I kind of hope they keep shadow king out of the first few eps next series as there kind of over playing that card at the moment, could use a bit of room to build up more stories before coming back to it.

I don't know where everyone is getting these Mojo theories from, I thought it was pretty well telegraphed that the pod at the end was either the equinox or equinox related.

- Daily Dot: Interview: How ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ shaped the music of ‘Legion’
Music has an integral role in Legion, playing into the show’s trippy artistic vision. Featuring artists like Nina Simone alongside original music from composer Jeff Russo, Legion‘s soundtrack helped create the most ambitious X-Men adaptation to date.

Russo also works with showrunner Noah Hawley on Fargo, and they bonded over The Dark Side of the Moon for the 1970s-influenced tone of Legion. We spoke to Russo about how music shaped the multisensory experience of Legion, touching on Pink Floyd, auditory hallucinations, and Noah Hawley’s very specific music taste. You can listen along with the soundtrack playlist and Russo’s original score on Spotify.

hydruxo

I have to say I was hoping for more revelations in the finale. Overall was it a bit more by the numbers. What also disappoints me that compared to the comic,
David doesn't seem to have multiple personalities. At least is that what it looks like right now.

Shadow King had been suppressing his personalities. Next season we should see those come to the surface since David no longer has SK in his head.

It's already been said, but 5,6.7 are the best episodes of the show. You might as well finish it since you're halfway.

I know its a nitpick, but you have that guy who has to have 5 hours in the makeup chair to play the yellow eyes version of SK, and then you have a god awful Oliver-driving-with-green-screen scene at the end. How does that even happen? I get that there's no practical way to have the pan to reveal "Lenny" otherwise, but come on.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know its a nitpick, but you have that guy who has to have 5 hours in the makeup chair to play the yellow eyes version of SK, and then you have a god awful Oliver-driving-with-green-screen scene at the end. How does that even happen? I get that there's no practical way to have the pan to reveal "Lenny" otherwise, but come on.

The effects in this show are all over the damn place. Maybe I'm being too charitable but I almost take it as part of the package.

What a fantastic series! If the finale was underwhelming, it was just because the preceding episodes were so good. Chapter 5 is in my television hall of fame, one of the most innovative and mind-bending episodes I've watched. I did spend about 4 episodes waiting for the big twist that Melanie et al were actually evil and tricking David, just because I never bought the idea that Sydney was really in love with him. Bill Irwin has always been a favorite actor, and he was great, as was Jermaine Clement. I hope the weirdness continues in the second season.

Wait, the black spot on the Angriest Boy mask was his mouth? I thought it was a mustache and he was like Adolph Hitler Jr. It didn't make any sense to me but that is what I thought.
Count me in as usually seeing it as Hitler, too. I love that title, though, "The World's Angriest Boy in the World."
I think obvious green-screen/rear-projection driving scenes are something that directors are deliberate about, now. It's a wink to the audience.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Finished the final 3 episodes the other night. What a fantastic show. It may easily be my favorite series on TV right now.

The bolero sequence in Ep. 7 was fucking incredible. Aubrey Plaza was an absolute joy to watch, particularly in the back half. The reveal of King may still be one of my favorite "oh shit" moments.

Some beautiful art direction that keeps this show looking timeless, with cinematography that knows precisely how to best make use of it. Nightmarish without needing to be overtly spectacle-focused at all times. It's just so wonderfully specific in every moment in a way most comic shows aren't or can't achieve.

Lost a five dollar bet with my girlfriend because she said that the main character was Beast in Beauty and the Beast ☹️

Top Bottom