• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

Van totally slept with his friend right?

The 425 for the storage locker on the key would have been around the time the next season could have started? As they would have started filming in March

Jesus Christ. I can't get through that NPR interview.

Take a shot for every time the word "like" is used. You'd be going through a whole case a hen. Lol

i hate shots

Damn stripper in the background of that stripclub scene git that ASS! Make me want to take a trip to Atlanta. Where that Atlanta (city) OT at.......

I had to come here and say that. Great episode again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Van, Oh Van. Whoa boy. 🔥🔥

I love how unconventional this show is. It kinda just does its own thing and it's own pace.

So cool to hear ATLiens; it's definitely my favorite Outkast album.

I'm not too sad about the wait for S2. I'd hate for it to be rushed.

Finally, I'm glad I checked out this show. Thanks, Tame Impala promo.

Dereck

Not sure, but I think it's somehow linked to Van deciding to not stay the night. We understand that he has a place of his own now but I think he realizes that he's more of a father to his and Van's child more than he is the primary love interest for Van. I thought maybe it was just a joke because they do work together but I think that Van possibly sleeping with his friend is digging slightly too deep, for now. We'll how things pan out in season 2.

LotusHD

Banned

The 425 for the storage locker on the key would have been around the time the next season could have started? As they would have started filming in March

I just saw it as them both being attracted to one another (Van slightly less so I guess), to the point where his friend awkwardly asks if it'd be weird if he made a move on her if she were to ever break up with Earn.

Seesaw15

AV CLUB: -A
I usually love the AV Clubs TV reviews but I think I disagreed with every one of Joshua Alston's hot takes this season.

It's gonna be a long wait but this may have been as close to a perfect season of tv that I can remember.

Not sure, but I think it's somehow linked to Van deciding to not stay the night. We understand that he has a place of his own now but I think he realizes that he's more of a father to his and Van's child more than he is the primary love interest for Van. I thought maybe it was just a joke because they do work together but I think that Van possibly sleeping with his friend is digging slightly too deep, for now. We'll how things pan out in season 2.

I read him turning down Alfred and Van's invitations to stay the night as pride. Paper Boi's careers taking off thanks to him and Earn was able to do right by Van and Lotti. Things are finally going good so I don't think Earn wants to show any vulnerability by asking for help.

Seesaw15

Atlanta Stumbled Too Often To Really Soar

Opinions, and what not, but I think the writer here kiiinda missed the point of Atlanta's directionless nuance.

I understand not thinking the show was perfect but most if not all of the writers criticism seem like hot takes or not paying attention.

There was rarely any character growth, even less character consistency, and the few things that you assumed would actually matter (like, say, the little matter of Alfred shooting a guy in the pilot episode and the three leads getting arrested for in the second, which for some reason is only ever referenced in passing afterwards, and even then only to make a joke about it) never come back up.

Either he missed the explanation that there was no body/victim and that their court hearing was months away or he wanted a Night Of style crime show.

The only fully fleshed-out character here was Earn.

What? Earn was more or less a cipher this season with Alfred and Van getting the most character development of the cast.

All these hot takes are a sign of a good show I guess.

Man...that ending. I have to rewatch this season again because Earn living out of a storage unit might put a lot more context around the decisions he made. I mean we knew he was broke, but we didnt know he was THAT broke. I figured it out that making it/hustling was a central theme early in the season (I mean the main character's name is Earn), but him returning to the storage unit really hammers it home for me.

I am gonna miss this show until starts up again in eleventy months. I mean I'm cool with it, but I aint cool with it.

vypek

Man...that ending. I have to rewatch this season again because Earn living out of a storage unit might put a lot more context around the decisions he made. I mean we knew he was broke, but we didnt know he was THAT broke. I figured it out that making it/hustling was a central theme early in the season (I mean the main character's name is Earn), but him returning to the storage unit really hammers it home for me.

I am gonna miss this show until starts up again in eleventy months. I mean I'm cool with it, but I aint cool with it.

I thought we knew he was MORE broke than that. It was my thought that he had only just recently earned enough to actually afford to stay in the storage unit and he was kind of just staying wherever he could before. And now that he is doing a little better, he doesn't have to accept the invitation from Al or Van to have a place to sleep for the night.

Dereck

This show is a guaranteed Blu-ray purchase to me, if FX puts it on Blu-ray.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Best show of 2016.

All these hot takes are a sign of a good show I guess.
yeah, a lot of that is misguided criticism. that's to be expected I guess, the show isn't for everyone and it isn't trying to be. not everyone will "get" it and I hope the second season doesn't try to fit into any mold and instead builds upon what they achieved with the first.

I thought we knew he was MORE broke than that. It was my thought that he had only just recently earned enough to actually afford to stay in the storage unit and he was kind of just staying wherever he could before. And now that he is doing a little better, he doesn't have to accept the invitation from Al or Van to have a place to sleep for the night.
indeed, he was broke as shit and didn't have a place to sleep. storage unit is an upgrade from where he was financially at the start of the season.

Mindlog

What? Earn was more or less a cipher this season with Alfred and Van getting the most character development of the cast.
Agreed. I could easily see Earn going in many different directions whereas it would take more work to convince me about the others trying something new. I mean they had an entire episode that didn't even feature Earn.

The first season was fantastic.

Mariolee

Finale was fantastic. I was really afraid I wouldn't get closure but in a way I didn't expect I actually feel very satisfied. Things are looking up, and although him living in a storage unit isn't the ideal situation he at least has some place to call his own.

LionPride

Banned
That finale was great. I was terrified when the cops pulled up, like my heart started racing. I thought Alfred may have been shot because he started yelling. Was honestly the best acted episode of the series.

I like how stubborn Ern is, Al/Darius will allow him over, Van will too, but he wants to live in a storage unit so he has a home of his own for once. That's real shit right there.

His scene with Van was some cute stuff

Imma miss it

That ending really hit.

It's one thing to hear a character say they are broke but it's another thing to see it. Good on Earn for earning it the hard way. I loved that his girlfriend jumped to the conclusion that he sold drugs. I thought the show would do a heel turn and show Earn selling drugs but NOPE. He is just roughing it.

I just don't get how paperboi is wanted for armed robbery and is currently on bail for a shooting and he just walked away from the police scot free lol

big ander

Incredible finale. Earn walking to his "home" with Elevators playing, under lit strip mall signs, to unfold two hundred dollar bills he worked his ass off for, is just a perfect final scene. This show turned out better than I ever could've hoped and I'm real bummed we have to wait until '18 for more

Incredible finale. Earn walking to his "home" with Elevators playing, under lit strip mall signs, to unfold two hundred dollar bills he worked his ass off for, is just a perfect final scene. This show turned out better than I ever could've hoped and I'm real bummed we have to wait until '18 for more
amen

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Speaking of the hustle being one of the themes of the show, Earn is short for Earnest Marks. Damn clever name for the character.

Con_Smith

Banned
Honestly can't believe this was as good as it was. Season adequately represents Atlanta and the black culture without stereotypes or pandering, speaks on social themes equally without taking sides, and creates its own pace that speaks on face value and on deeper levels. Kudos to Don for giving my city proper treatment. Been following dude since Derrick Comedy and proud a fellow Wesley Chapel kid did it big.

I'm man enough to admit I hadn't heard any DRAM until I shazammed Broccoli from the title card.

Now "Monticello Ave" is my song of the summer.

And "Elevators". FUCK. I watched that last three minutes like twelve times.

What's y'alls count?

Perfect ending to an amazing first season. Really hoping the blu-ray has commentary with Donald and Hiro super interested in the process behind this series.

vypek

Earn prefers to do things his way. Under his own power. I think his dad mentioned that in episode 1 or I could be thinking of the pilot script.

You're right. It was in episode 1. Around the time they were talking about him leaving school and not knowing why.

The only thing that I didn't like about this season was that I was expecting to see some development about how paperboi and earn progress in their careers but I guess that isn't what this show is really about. The whole buildup about "Atlanta rap come up" must've brainwashed me.

Helmholtz

The only thing that I didn't like about this season was that I was expecting to see some development about how paperboi and earn progress in their careers but I guess that isn't what this show is really about. The whole buildup about "Atlanta rap come up" must've brainwashed me.
It's what I was hoping for too. But like you said, turns out it's not what they wanted to go for.

Didn't realize this was the finale. Aww man to hell with that awful sounding han solo prequel movie delaying this so far.

Oh well. Good on him for being successful. But it's gonna be quite the long wait. This is defo one of the best shows airing at the moment. Caught me by surprise too. Very much filling in the gap that Louie left

he got him a couple of gigs throughout the season and by the end we know hes going on tour

Top Bottom