• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legion |OT| Insert X-Men Meme - Wednesdays 10/9c on FX

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Loved it.

i had to rewind when the burned guy goes "Ill talk to them." On first hearing him i thought he said "Ill talk to Emma" and was like WTF THE WAR IS AGAINST THE HELLFIRE CLUB?! lol

i want to talk about it more but its bedtime.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

This show is too good.

[edit]

Wait, this season is only 8 episodes? Nooo!

Toki767

8 episodes felt perfectly fine.

Netflix's Marvel shows go on 4-5 episodes too long and would be better off being 8 episodes long the way Legion was.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
8 episodes felt perfectly fine.

Netflix's Marvel shows go on 4-5 episodes too long and would be better off being 8 episodes long the way Legion was.

It's not that 8 episode is too short, just that I was hyped for next week's episode.

That wasn't the slam bang action that one might have expected, in fact there was a long dull talky stretch, but overall a very compelling finale.

Only this show would spend that much time and sensitivity humanizing what seemed like a throwaway character who was killed off in the first episode. Reminds me of one of the best comics I've ever read, the "Best Man Fall" issue of Grant Morrison's Invisibles, which revisits a generic guard casually killed by the hero in the first issue and spends a whole story telling us about his life up to the point he was killed.

I'm fuzzy on the Syd thing, too. The easiest way to explain it is just to assume it's the Shadow King using her powers in a slightly different than normal way.

platakul

Banned
Not hyped that the SK story continues. But we'll see. I loved Jemaine and the moment he goes "oh.. melanie" I was like oh damn it he's not walking out of this. But I guess that adds some flavor to the next showdown.

BUT I kept thinking of heroes season 1. We have our hero/ villain charge at each other and then ---- anti climax

I'll be bummed if the post credit thingy is just the government. Shi'ar would be hella cool. Mojo would be insane and out of character.... but Mojo is Insane and never appropriate so it could fit. I could also see Magneto's Acolytes. So you wouldn't have Magneto, but you'd have some other figures that are like oh shit who is this giant mutant threat (If we assume Asteroid M exists possibly).

The TV motif in E1 def teased Mojo, wouldnt be surprised if thats his gizmo.
True. At the time it was so obvious to me that the thing was the shadow king, that I chalked that up to stylistic stuff, but the Government Agency is so incredibly flat and dull (despite hamish being a great actor) that the obvious way to redeem it is to make it a front for soemthing else

Seesaw15

I felt like this whole season was just Aubrey Plaza's audition tape to play Beetlejuice.
wLl7tu0.png

It was a good finale but it felt a little too conventional after all the insane shit happening in the last few of the season. There was just little of surprises or wrinkles in the way of the dance number, bolero sequence, no sound, etc.The penultimate episode was just too good.

Imagine how crazy it would have been had everything played out the same but SK got removed during the encounter at David's house, attaches to Oliver, etc, with the cliffhanger being the Division 3 guys showing up.

I did like them humanizing the D3 guy even though he still worked with the eye who was unabashedly an evil shit. Just wish the D3 stuff here didn't feel so easily wrapped up and simple compared to the higher stakes of ep 7. Though I guess that gadget implies it's not over for them or maybe this time it's
finally Mojo ayyy.

Either way I'm crazy hyped for next season still. This show was still fucking great overall, I give it a solid A-. Thank God Hawley seems to be a workhorse and is turning out good content. Trying to get this back on by next February + 2 more episodes, phew, we ain't worthy.

kirblar

I think what happened was the only way Farouk would leave is willfully and it did it by the activation of Syd's power. So instead of swapping bodies with David+Farouk, Farouk just started hopping bodies. David stayed in his own body and Farouk ended up in Kerry's.
Syd swapped with SK and went into Davids brain temporarily. Then SK flipped with Kerry, then got knocked into Oliver.

So is Shadow King fully in control of Oliver or have they teamed up? The ending felt ambiguous.

Loved what they did with the Interviewer in the beginning. I wonder if he's someone from the comics.

Thinking about it I kinda wish they had been a little more subtle about the SK body jumping thing. It was a cool sequence but I wish they had left where Farouk went up in the air after David confronts him rather than go for the over the top possession thing with Oliver which seems a little weird considering that he's a telepath and knows what the parasite is but seems to just as weak as Syd or Cary where against it.

A little break from the SK would be cool too. He can be the main over arching villian of the series and they could still have had him enter Oliver but it seems a little wasteful to have him on the team for half an episode before he gets pulled out to be the new host.

Some other peeps for S2 would be cool, though I guess telepaths are conductive for all the crazy imagery though someone who could warp reality like uh Proteus could have been neat also...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So... should I care about the Xmen cinematic universe or whatever? Given what happens in Logan, does any of this stuff matter?

Syd swapped with Shadowking to get him out, who then swapped into Kerry and then it reset, Syd probably shared space in David if her consciousness didn't actually leave her body. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The wait for the next season is gonna be a real motherfucker. Worst thing about shows with short seasons, I guess at least it wasn't on Netflix but yeah, that was underwhelming as a finale.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
An underwhelming finale to an otherwise audacious, stylish, and often times mind blowing first season.

My main criticism would be that the characters lacked depth. It's fine for the first season of a show, and Hawley certainly made up for it with heaps of flair, but going forward, the characters are going to have to be fleshed out more than a little bit in order to sustain a multi-season series.

I kinda don't get how that worked, expelling farouk. We start out with David's body holding David and Farouk. Syd swaps, so I'd think it'd be david and farouk in Syd, Syd in david. But it seemed like it was just Farouk. Then Farouk-Syd touches Kerry, so we finally have Farouk's mind in Kerry's body, Kerry's mind in Syd's body, Syd's mind in David's body. and david's mind...I would think also in Kerry's body but possibly still in Syd's or in his. But Farouk-in-Kerry apparently has Farouk's powers still. and right away David's mind got back into his own body? I dunno that all felt muddled.

I was confused about this as well.

Both Logan and Legion aren't in the mainline movie X-Men universe.

Logan is in an alternate universe?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Maybe my expectations were too high but that was a really underwhelming finale. Zero take-your-breath-away moments like the last few episodes.

Grazzt

Yeah the finale was a bit underwhelming, but it is reasonable since they need to wrap things up. And episode 5,6,7 were just too good.
Still, this is THE best comic book tv show so far.

Best thing about this ep was the confirmation of Aubrey Plaza in the next season. Pretty underwhelming especially in light of the previous episodes.

My overall impression of the show is that it's something that I personally like but not enough for me to shrug off its flaws. Characters are interesting and well-acted but the writing/effects don't always match up. The overall arc fell flat but there were some damn good moments in there. Definitely onboard for season 2 but I'm hesitant on recommending it to others.

MartyStu

Yeah the finale was a bit underwhelming, but it is reasonable since they need to wrap things up. And episode 5,6,7 were just too good.
Still, this is THE best comic book tv show so far.

By far. Here is hoping that it incentivizes more thoughtful adaptations on cable networks.

I liked the first season apart from its total lack of tact regarding mental illness.
ie. the guy drooling as comic relief, and stuff like "you're not crazy you have powers", as well as what felt like conditions the writer had read about somewhere and name dropping common medications. Kind of describing manic depression and schizophrenia in such one dimensional ways.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I actually liked the finale up until the the last 10ish minutes. The opening was a well done way of catching us up with a character and giving them some speedy development. But the last few scenes felt like the show was making a mad dash to resolve this arc, or at least give the viewer some resolution...and that's where it falls flat. Which is odd because the show took its sweet time starting out but then frantically ran to the finish line in the finale. So they weren't exactly pressed for time until they decided to be. I thought the dialogue in Episode 8 was notably stronger too, which is a big plus.

Overall this ended up being a mixed bag for me. Every episode was brilliantly directed. The production design was an A+ consistently. What brings it down in my eyes is how much it stalled out in the middle. Episodes 2, 3, and 4 stay in this holding pattern. We get development but it's repeated over and over. Episode 5 is where the show came back to life and started moving forward while developing itself along the way.

The post credit scene felt unnecessary and tonally inconsistent with the rest of the show. It's the type of thing you'd see in a more typical superhero show, which this show is the antithesis of. No skin off my nose though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The post credit scene felt unnecessary and tonally inconsistent with the rest of the show. It's the type of thing you'd see in a more typical superhero show, which this show is the antithesis of. No skin off my nose though.

Haha yep...combined with the quality of the effect to me it was like something out of Hercules and the Legendary Journeys where Iolaus gets captured or something. I'm actually not totally allergic to it either, but when they do stuff like that I'd enjoy it more if they just completely owned it and it was almost parody, rather than just being an unfortunate divergence in an otherwise good show.

Can't say I'm enthralled by the prospect of another season of them dealing with the Shadow King, but a more self-assured David combined with the possibility of Division Three being an ally (let's face it, this isn't likely, as they need something to do for nine episodes [probably will get a more comic-ish David though] before dealing with it in the tenth) is interesting enough. Overall my thoughts on the show are that it's pretty good, and certainly worth watching, but it is in some ways flawed and not strong enough that they can be completely disregarded. I feel that the first episode, and the seventh, are probably the standout episodes of the show. I'm interested in what the second season will bring.

Maybe my expectations were too high but that was a really underwhelming finale. Zero take-your-breath-away moments like the last few episodes.

I think the fact that it was a much more 'normal' style of episode (compared to a typical Legion episode) when they've been the weakest over the course of the season probably contributes to that. It makes sense it was going to go in this direction with the Shadow King subdued, and it did have a number of interesting touches (the Happy Jack montage almost reversed as the Shadow King is expelled) but the clear strength of the show is in the visual and audio storytelling (the cinematography, the sound design, the use of colours, the adapting of other than it is in the writing) and after the excellent previous episode it wasn't able to make as much of an impact.

As for the body-swap and mind-jump, the more I think about the actual details of it based upon how Syd's power works, the less it makes sense to me:

aDvid/Shadow King to Syd: Syd's mind enters David, and David and the Shadow King enter Syd.
Syd to Kerry(Cary?): David and the Shadow King enters Kerry, Kerry enters Syd.
Kerry to Oliver: David's body (which should be controlled by Syd at this stage?) manages to expel it from Kerry, but it latches onto Oliver since he's there.

But previously when there was Syd-related body-swapping, they would also trade places once it wore off which didn't seem to happen here.

But what seemed to happen was:
David/Shadow King to Syd: Shadow King alone enters Syd and suppresses her mind (I assume Syd isn't powerful enough to stop the Shadow King from taking complete control?). Maybe David's mind is completely suppressed at this point due to the usage of the electronic exorcism, which is why only the Shadow King's mind swaps, and then Syd swaps with the 'suppressed' mind of David and David takes control of his body/
Syd to Kerry(Cary?): Shadow King alone enters Kerry and then suppresses her mind (I assume Kerry also isn't powerful enough to stop the Shadow King from taking complete control?). Maybe there's a trade between Syd's suppressed mind and Kerry's?
[This section is all really confusing when you think of it]
Kerry to Oliver: This is pretty much the same.

Clearly at the end we have:
  • David in David's body (for definite)
  • Syd in Syd's body
  • Kerry in her body
So there can't be any swapping aside from the Shadow King jumping from body to body and suppressing the host, which just isn't how Syd's power has worked before and makes this really confusing. Unless we're to believe the Shadow King has greater control over her powers? I think it's better to just not think of it.

A bit underwhelming but a still a fun ending to an amazing show. Definitely one of the best comic book adaptations ever.

I'm excited to see Jemaine Clement and Aubrey Plaza together next season. That's going to be incredible.
It's a good excuse to keep her around.

Man, it's gonna be something else.

Also was that a Mojo related thing at the end?

Logan is in an alternate universe?

I think they said Logan was more of a could be type of thing. It's akin to these The End GNs that Marvel used to do that shows the potential, usually dark and depressing, end point for a character. But of course they will never really end, so it's just one way it could go.

CloudWolf

Man, this show really is fantastic. I'm happy that we get season 2 and Jemaine Clement will be a magnificent villain.

Both Logan and Legion aren't in the mainline movie X-Men universe.

Logan is in the mainline movie X-Men universe, it's set after Days of Future Past, this has been confirmed many times over. Legion clearly is not in the same universe.

Kalor

The finale felt a bit underwhelming after 6 and 7 but it was still enjoyable. It will be interesting to see the dynamic between Oliver and the Shadow King in the next season.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The finale felt a bit underwhelming after 6 and 7 but it was still enjoyable. It will be interesting to see the dynamic between Oliver and the Shadow King in the next season.

Yeah, I mean that will definitely be fun. The thing I'm feeling less and less is Division 3. They just don't remotely feel like a threat because they've been wrecked so hard so many times now. I guess it's fine to have jobbers, but if that's the case they should be downplayed even more, and just there to occasionally highlight the powers of the mutants compared to the rest of us, instead of being presented as a legit threat like they have been immediately prior to getting wrecked like five times already.

Also if the series is going to be more standard and less surreal/"masturbatory"/whatever (which is when it's at its best, by far, like go watch SHIELD and re-watch Avengers or whatever tf if that isn't what you're looking for), I think the special effects and even fight choreography in the traditional action scenes are going to become a glaring issue. Like they just outright suck and are Hercules-level most of the time. Didn't bother me for most of S1 because the whole thing was so damn surreal I could kind of suspend disbelief and maybe in the back of my mind think that it's all just a memory anyway, but the more traditional it gets the more that stuff will stick out rather than just be easy to write off.

Zoe

Logan is in the mainline movie X-Men universe, it's set after Days of Future Past, this has been confirmed many times over. Legion clearly is not in the same universe.

It follows those events, but they're treating it as one possible future for those characters, not the definitive end.

The finale was more of a wrap up episode with the climax being in ep7. The whole swapping thing was sort of a mess and I hope there is more to next season than more Shadow king antics.

Loved the ep 8.
Wondered how the hell would they deal with the shadow king and that turn of events was satisfactory.

You clearly feel that they'll try the best they can to not let them go all out.
But still ; i don't have problem with the way syd powers worked in that last scene since : - she clearly got some shadow king in thanks to davy and it has been shown that her powers usages are not set in stone. all of her uses have not been consitent in S1 in term of time, usage , restrictions . I hope they will train a bit more to control her powers so she can activate them at will because ...it needs to happens

What I think now is that Syd only swaps one mind at the time. The Shadow King says he has a connection with her because of the time she was in David's body. That time she swapped with David and alone in David's body with the Shadow King caused serious mayhem. That would mean that when David was in Syd's body he should have been free of the Shadow King, I don't remember if he had any "Lenny" conversations before he snapped back.

So if she swaps one mind at a time in the finale she swaps her mind into David's body, briefly two minds in there, and the Shadow King into her body. Then the Shadow King swaps Kerry into Syd and Kerry as Syd passes out. Then David (with Syd in there but maybe not conscious?) dispels the Shadow King from Kerry and his form infects Oliver the way he originally infected David.

What I think now is that Syd only swaps one mind at the time. The Shadow King says he has a connection with her because of the time she was in David's body. That time she swapped with David and alone in David's body with the Shadow King caused serious mayhem. That would mean that when David was in Syd's body he should have been free of the Shadow King, I don't remember if he had any "Lenny" conversations before he snapped back.

So if she swaps one mind at a time in the finale she swaps her mind into David's body, briefly two minds in there, and the Shadow King into her body. Then the Shadow King swaps Kerry into Syd and Kerry as Syd passes out. Then David (with Syd in there but maybe not conscious?) dispels the Shadow King from Kerry and his form infects Oliver the way he originally infected David.
EdIt : wait nevermind.
There was no scene of him talking with lenny in syd body during the hospital events.

I can't reconcile where Oliver came from (or when). Last I recall he dissipated after absorbing the bullets headed towards Syd & David. Clearly I missed something that brought him back in this ep. Thanks

Top Bottom