• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

Slaythe

The DVD should be a pirated copy with hardcoded foreign subtitles.

Do you know that in Europe, Warner sells the bluray of Man of Steel with the bonus you have to download on some shitty site in low resolution and hardcoded german subs.

I shit you not.

Felt 0 remorse getting a pirate version in HD.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do you know that in Europe, Warner sells the bluray of Man of Steel with the bonus you have to download on some shitty site in low resolution and hardcoded german subs.

I shit you not.

Felt 0 remorse getting a pirate version in HD.

The Flixter Version?

MedIC86

I am truly baffled by this, in my country our cinema's have all sorts of 'theme' nights. We have a ladies night, elderly night, children's day thing, men only movie nights and really nobody gives a flying f**k. I dont really understand what people get so worked up about here.

I am truly baffled by this, in my country our cinema's have all sorts of 'theme' nights. We have a ladies night, elderly night, children's day thing, men only movie nights and really nobody gives a flying f**k. I dont really understand what people get so worked up about here.

Maybe you have a lack of insecure white men in a society prone to suing for everything?!

Ladies night at the bar doesn't explicitly ban men. There's a legal difference, in the US at least.

Pepboy

They didn't actually here either.

It was advertised as women only. That's different from advertising as a girls night, in that it explicitly excludes non-women.

Unless you are talking about their defense of "well we wouldn't stop men from entering if they had actually bought tickets", which is pretty ridiculous on many counts.

It was advertised as women only. That's different from advertising as a girls night, in that it explicitly excludes non-women.

Unless you are talking about their defense of "well we wouldn't stop men from entering if they had actually bought tickets", which is pretty ridiculous on many counts.

Well they actually literally didn't stop any men from entering. One did and they did nothing about it.

PillarEN

Not even unique (though maybe it is for Alamo). there is a cinema chain that I frequent and on occasion they do "women's ride" (loose translation) showings for a premier of flicks that the theater deems appeals primarily to the female audience. I don't know if it's actually specifically a women's only experience, but as a guy I get that impression and even if it wasn't you'd probably stick out like a sore thumb by killing the spirit of the event.

On the flip side I seem to remember the theater doing "Men's rides" for certain male-centric flicks too. It's just meant to be a fun event that's a one off for a specific audience. The rest of the screenings of these movies are available for all. These gender specific events are not about "fuck the other team", but just hey here is something special for the heck of it for group A/B.

P.S. these screenings also include some drinks and whatever else. It's a little more than just a screening.

Pepboy

Well they actually literally didn't stop any men from entering. One did and they did nothing about it.

Ah okay, I see now that one man bought a ticket. (Though I don't see anything about him actually attending.)

I guess that makes their statement slightly more credible. Though the original advertisement seemed pretty clear they would be stopping men from entering:

"Apologies, gentlemen, but we're embracing our girl power and saying "No Guys Allowed" for several special shows at the Alamo Downtown Brooklyn. And we say "Women (and people who identify as women) only" we mean it.'"

Especially the last sentence, implies they would indeed discriminate and possibly bar the entrance of a male-identifying ticket holder.

Since discriminatory advertising caused discrimination in practice, even though one guy was brave enough to try, I'm guessing they'll have to settle for a lot more than a DVD.

But really this is a win-win. Alamo will get so much free publicity and public goodwill from dragging this out. Alamo can easily hold some extra screenings to pay for the eventual lawsuit / settlement, which I bet will be very well supported.

Zoe

Not even unique (though maybe it is for Alamo). there is a cinema chain that I frequent and on occasion they do "women's ride" (loose translation) showings for a premier of flicks that the theater deems appeals primarily to the female audience. I don't know if it's actually specifically a women's only experience, but as a guy I get that impression and even if it wasn't you'd probably stick out like a sore thumb by killing the spirit of the event.

On the flip side I seem to remember the theater doing "Men's rides" for certain male-centric flicks too. It's just meant to be a fun event that's a one off for a specific audience. The rest of the screenings of these movies are available for all. These gender specific events are not about "fuck the other team", but just hey here is something special for the heck of it for group A/B.

P.S. these screenings also include some drinks and whatever else. It's a little more than just a screening.

Completely different because of the advertising. Under the letter of the law, their advertising for this event was discriminating even though the actual event didn't discriminate.

Zaphrynn

Good job, men. Now when are you going to fight salons that charge women more for haircuts based purely on gender?

Men? Hello?

Yeah the advertising was discriminatory, and it wouldn't bother me as much that Alamo got sued for it if it weren't for the fact that "equal rights" wasn't what this was about at all.

Update on this:

https://www.guidelive.com/geek/2017...lement-women-wonder-screenings-discriminatory

Alamo decided to come forward and give the crybabies something.

I bet the two assholes who complained work for Heat Street or some garbage shit like that.

One of the men apparently thinks that isn't good enough and wants almost $9000, roughly 3 times the cost of tickets and concessions for the screenings.

I bet the two assholes who complained about this shit probably work for Heat Street or some similar garbage.

kirblar

That Alamo was deliberately trolling the sexist bear w/ the way they advertised this. They've done gender-themed events before but this one played up the exclusionary aspect. ("NO BOYZ ALLOWED" messaging vs "GIRLS NIGHT OUT")

Good job, men. Now when are you going to fight salons that charge women more for haircuts based purely on gender?

Men? Hello?

Yeah the advertising was discriminatory, and it wouldn't bother me as much that Alamo got sued for it if it weren't for the fact that "equal rights" wasn't what this was about at all.

Even if 99% of a group can be convinced to be cool there will always be 1% that sues for damages if the legal system allows it. It doesn't matter the situation or whatever, and Alamo Drafthouse was incredibly stupid for doubling down when people pointed out what they were doing may be illegal

As it turns out, the complaints have at least some legal merit. Austin city equality codes ban any public accommodation — such as a movie theater — from limiting their services for individuals based on factors including race, color, sex, sexual orientation and gender identification.

I'm more curious what the legal ramifications would be for violating those city equality codes - a penalty or would your business license be at risk?

Top Bottom