• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexander Brandon, the composer of Deus Ex and Unreal, is working with Retro Studios

Honestly I don't care if Retro aren't working on Metroid as long as they're making something sufficiently different from EAD that it can complement Japan's output. I'd love a more western game but one far less realistic and serious in tone than what other devs are doing. Really miss the days of NOLF and Timesplitters.

This is where I'm at.

Salvadora

All I want is something new.

It's crazy that Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze came out > 3 years ago and we don't have a peep of what they are working on.

I'm not even confident that anything will be shown at E3, or the title released this year, given that Nintendo is rumoured to have a pretty full line-up.

Really doubt they're making Donkey Kong, I'm guessing it's gonna be a metroid game or a new IP. As much as I want a new metroid, I'd prefer a new IP.

Nesther

All I want is something new.

It's crazy that Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze came out > 3 years ago and we don't have a peep of what they are working on.

I'm not even confident that anything 8will be shown at E3, or the title released this year, given that Nintendo is rumoured to have a pretty full line-up.

I prefer that to showing off games way too early. Now it's more likely that we'll have a short intervall between reveal and release.

TannerDemoz

They need to get Misha (Periphery) on board too. Big riffs in a Metroid game (or are we saying new ip) would be insane.

If by any chance he's working on a post-Fusion Metroid game, then that's a good fuckin' pick right there. Can't wait to see what he's working on.

I'm going with they're making a new IP. We already have a rumor a third party dev is making a new Metroid game. This Evb person throws a wrench in it saying Retro is making something DK related. I don't know the creeentials this EVB poster has.

As posted earlier Tanabe said he didn't know what Retro was working on in the same interview with him talking about the future of Metroid and continuing the Prime story.

If by any chance he's working on a post-Fusion Metroid game, then that's a good fuckin' pick right there. Can't wait to see what he's working on.

Even if Retro's indeed working on Metroid, they wouldn't be working on a followup to Metroid Fusion. That would be Sakamoto's duty.

Remember that Tanabe/Retro's Metroid Prime series =/= Sakamoto/R&D1's Metroid series. That's basically how Nintendo internally views the series.

KingBroly

Banned
Even if Retro's indeed working on Metroid, they wouldn't be working on a followup to Metroid Fusion. That would be Sakamoto's duty.

Remember that Retro's Metroid Prime series =/= Sakamoto/R&D1's Metroid series. That's basically how Nintendo internally views the series.

I would not allow Sakamoto anywhere near Metroid after his last disaster. The same for Tanabe as well.

ChaosXVI

I'm going with they're making a new IP. We already have a rumor a third party dev is making a new Metroid game. This Evb person throws a wrench in it saying Retro is making something DK related. I don't know the creeentials this EVB poster has.

As posted earlier Tanabe said he didn't know what Retro was working on in the same interview with him talking about the future of Metroid and continuing the Prime story.

I don't know who this EvB is, but I don't take anyone seriously who thinks they know what Retro is working on. All of the more-often-than-not dependable "insiders" have all had rumors, most of them different from one another, and now some of them have been recanted. Nobody knows what Retro is making except the people working there, and Nintendo higher ups.

Salvadora

There was that rumour that Sakamoto was overseeing Retro now.

Tanabe's recent comment could lend credence to that.

I hope it's not Metroid or Donkey Kong.

Edit: Actually Shikamaru Ninja's comment in that thread rubbishs that.

echoshizzle

Neo Member
This guy is definitely working on a Metroid game. Probably a dream for him. E3 will be fun!

It's to bad I'm not a Metroid fan

DMONKUMA

Here's more from what Evb said:

From the 3 years Retro thread
They are doing another Donkey Kong. Complete with David Wise

This is from the Scorpio thread.

Me too!
I'm not very good at dropping these hints about things I come across and there are certain things you don't want to spoil for the companies working on. I accidentally leaked Snake Pass having David Wise doing the music a few weeks back. This came up in conversation with him when I randomly met him, he said he had just come back from Nintendo in Texas.

He has also shown to know some stuff involving Microsoft, but of course he could be wrong as others have be before so take that with a grain of salt.

He has also shown to know some stuff involving Microsoft, but of course he could be wrong as others have be before so that with a grain of salt.

My god the meltdowns.

He has also shown to know some stuff involving Microsoft, but of course he could be wrong as others have be before so that with a grain of salt.
More DK and David Wise?

What's not to love there. I can dig it

You know what would be worse than Retro working on another donkey kong? Retro working on the Rabbids x Mario game...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ugh. Listen, I really liked DKCR and Tropical Freeze. But we get like one Retro game a generation. If they spent 3 years making a 2D platformer, regardless of how good their track record is, I'm going to be disappointed.

Ugh. Listen, I really liked DKCR and Tropical Freeze. But we get like one Retro game a generation. If they spent 3 years making a 2D platformer, regardless of how good their track record is, I'm going to be disappointed.
Retro released two games for GameCube and two for Wii.

It was Wii U that just had one.

DMONKUMA

Well it doesn't really mean that it's a 2D platform could be something else.

Personal I don't care for Donkey Kong so it doesn't apply to me.

They are doing another Donkey Kong. Complete with David Wise
Diddy_kong_swag.gif

Please be true...
One more before they settle back down and work on a new 2d metroid please.

TheMoon

No but people only see the word "composer" in the title and his recent history of mostly sound design/fx doesn't get mentioned so they think they're putting 2+2 together by reading "composer" and "Deus Ex, etc" and "Retro Studios" and go directly to "sci-fi game/OMGMETROROIDO!!!11eleven" which is what I'm trying to reign in here a little.

there we go again ->

Has to be Metroid right?

:)

Kouriozan

He has also shown to know some stuff involving Microsoft, but of course he could be wrong as others have be before so take that with a grain of salt.
I'm OK with this, time to finish the second trilogy!

Dystify

This has probably been stated already but I don't think we should draw a conclusion as to what kind of game this is going to be by this musician's discography. On twitter I said him working with Retro doesn't make me think it's going to be a Donkey Kong game, but that statement is kinda misleading.

DMONKUMA

To be fair, what he knew about Microsoft was wrong.

Ah well again insiders can be spotty. Either way I'm not investing in this rumor but it does makes a great bingo card for E3.

I'd personally want a New IP or a different franchise for them to work on.

Top Bottom