• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexander Brandon, the composer of Deus Ex and Unreal, is working with Retro Studios

spekkeh

Banned
It probably means nothing. But what are the chances that Retro is actually tasked with making an FPS for western audiences, like Rare did before.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
My sources tell me that Retro is working on a Cranky Kong immersive sim. First person perspective, multiple ways to get through every level that are unlocked by your skill choices as you level up. There's also a crossover with Rabbids for some reason, Nintendo seems to be pushing it in all their upcoming games. 3DS exclusive.
Your sources missed the VR support.

TheMoon

This reminds me of when they hired an art guy from Naughty dogs and people who worked on Darksiders and GAF was like "OMG it must mean they are making a gritty action adventure game!"

And then they revealed Fucking Donkey Kong.

Why are you in my head. I had almost word for word the exact same thought in my head while doing chores just a few minutes ago. :D

Can't wait to see Retro's open world Mad Max esq Mach Rider reboot set to a Brandon soundtrack.

& Knuckles.

And it was a fantastic game.

Yea but the meltdowns from people who overhyped themselves with some notions of the equivalent of some Grand Epic.^^

cacildo

I bet its a 2d Donkey Kong again

People love (to say they love) modern 2d donkey kong game. So those will be extra happy

The rest of us will end up with a free unwanted dk game gave away by nintendo in a sale or other

Neptonic

I'm going to be crushed by 3 tons of depression when this doesn't happen, but Metroid Prime 4 is going to have a bitching soundtrack

i guess I'd be fine with a new donkey kong they are fun
Or something new

Buggy Loop

Seriously, i'm not hating on Kongs but, anything other than the Kongs. Perfect attempt at platformers Retro, you nailed it. Now perfect something else..

New IP preferably even. I'm not so sure a Metroid prime nowadays would fly high with it's gamecube mechanics, and finding something "new" about that franchise, while satisfying fans, would be hard as fuck to pull off, like Zelda Botw. Not many studios can even pull something like that off with a long lasting franchise.

I hope it's futuristic, i hope it's FPS, i hope it's not cartoonish (just for diversity).
In fact, bounty hunting in sci-fi, non metroid, there's a cancelled game that fit this and i think Retro would have fit in quite well. The original Prey 2.

I will say, if this ends up being Metroid, I'm going to be impressed it hasn't leaked in the last five years that they're doing that.

No but people only see the word "composer" in the title and his recent history of mostly sound design/fx doesn't get mentioned so they think they're putting 2+2 together by reading "composer" and "Deus Ex, etc" and "Retro Studios" and go directly to "sci-fi game/OMGMETROROIDO!!!11eleven" which is what I'm trying to reign in here a little.

I've tried and I tried but there is just no stopping the GAF hype train.

"Zomg Retro is awesome now they hired a bunch of people from Naughty Dog!" No, it was one guy, and he's gone now.

"Zomg but Miyamoto said Retro can work on two big games at once!" Kinda hard to do when it's a 70 person studio.

"Zomg Retro can be like the new RARE!" See previous comment.

"Zomg all the people from the Prime games left they can't make Metroid anymore!" There are a bunch of people that work on the Prime games still there if you check out Linkedin.

"Zomg all the people from the Prime games left they can't make Metroid anymore!" There are a bunch of people that work on the Prime games still there if you check out Linkedin.

And like I said in another thread, if games like Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate and ReCore are any indication, I think Mark Pacini, Todd Keller, etc need Nintendo much more than Nintendo needs them, really. Retro is as good as they are because of Nintendo.

And like I said in another thread, if games like Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate and ReCore are any indication, I think Mark Pacini, Todd Keller, etc need Nintendo much more than Nintendo needs them, really. Retro is as good as they are because of Nintendo.

Those same people who keep repeating "Retro can't make Metroid games because A,B and C left" will be jumping for joy if Metroid Prime 4 gets announced.

Yeah, I used to believe in that argument. They aint horrible game but they missing that Nintendo Polish ™ and Nintendo Magic ™

I don't think Retro would've needed to do it. Plus if what Miyamoto said is true and Retro is big enough to do multiple games they can still do a new game and a DKCR collection if they wanted.
If they are making two games, I hope they announce the DKCR Collection first, just to see the reactions haha.

tenor.gif

No, they're good because they work well together. If it's all on Nintendo why do Arzests games suck? Why aren't Next Level's and Good Feel's games as good as Retro's when they are a similar team size and development periods? Why aren't many of Nintendo's own games as good as what Retro can do? Also, Recore was clearly rushed out the door, and Blackgate was obviously given a miniscule budget. I'm not saying Armature hasn't been disappointing since their formation, just that it's not necessarily all their fault.

Are they doing that sci-fi rpg many of us have been asking for?

if it's star tropics i need to see gaf's reaction 😂😂😂

I'm going to need to look up an appropriate extreme celebration gif if it's StarTropics. I've been asking for an StarTropics reboot since Kid Icarus Uprising came out.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
At last, the Eternal Darkness remake I been waiting for so long~
Well, we know that Nintendo has been entertaining an ongoing effort (product or service research or development) regarding Eternal Darkness for a few years now. I think Retro Studios is a great fit to remake that game. Whether they are actually working on an Eternal Darkness game is something up for discussion.

No, they're good because they work well together. If it's all on Nintendo why do Arzests games suck? Why aren't Next Level's and Good Feel's games as good as Retro's when they are a similar team size and development periods? Why aren't many of Nintendo's own games as good as what Retro can do?

Because its not retro and Nintendo. What he said still hold true he didnt say anything about these other studios.

How yall be making up stuff to argue about?

Oregano

No, they're good because they work well together. If it's all on Nintendo why do Arzests games suck? Why aren't Next Level's and Good Feel's games as good as Retro's when they are a similar team size and development periods? Why aren't many of Nintendo's own games as good as what Retro can do? Also, Recore was clearly rushed out the door, and Blackgate was obviously given a miniscule budget. I'm not saying Armature hasn't been disappointing since their formation, just that it's not necessarily all their fault.

Arzest made Find Mii 2. Your argument is invalid.

I feel bad for Retro in a good way lol? People want a new IP, a new Metroid, a new DKR, a new Eternal Darkness, a new Star Tropics, a big western focused IP.

I really think Nintendo should've grown their studio a long time ago to make sure they can make two games at a time.

Rran

Despite how much I yearn for another Prime from Retro (or a new IP), after actually playing through Tropical Freeze I wouldn't mind at all if we got another Donkey Kong game from them--one of the best platforming titles I've played and perhaps the greatest thing on the Wii U*

*specifically referring to games only found on Wii U, so no BotW ;P

TheMoon

Yeah, I used to believe in that argument. They aint horrible game but they missing that Nintendo Polish ™ and Nintendo Magic ™

You forgot Secret Sauce™.
I feel bad for Retro in a good way lol? People want a new IP, a new Metroid, a new DKR, a new Eternal Darkness, a new Star Tropics, a big western focused IP.

I really think Nintendo should've grown their studio a long time ago to make sure they can make two games at a time.

Yea I think my main problem is this idea that all the weight always rests on Retro because somehow people put all their hopes and dreams of a typical Western-AAA-like mixed with Nintendo Magic™ in Retro because of the Prime trilogy and if they're not doing something that fits the bill it's all:
endofworld-apocalypse.jpg

Or more heavily invested in more western studios. Which I still think they should do.

Nintendo should start their presentation off with Retros game and it be DKCR Collection lmao. Ohhhh boy some people will be pissed

Reggie: "we've heard your cries and I'm delighted to inform you that we have not one but two Retro studios titles on the way, take a look..."
*trailer for a DKCR HD*
*next trailer is a Switch port of Tropical Freeze*
Reggie: "that was the second game by the way"

Ktm2ffj.gif

YES BABY, OH MAN could he be working on Metroid V / Metroid Prime 4??? OH BOY.
Though I do hope Kenji Yamamoto will be assisting at least.

Top Bottom