• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexander Brandon, the composer of Deus Ex and Unreal, is working with Retro Studios

mindsale

Man I can't wait for Cranky Prime.

kongbot-5000_01.png

I'm still sticking to the old rumor that it's just a different underutilized IP that's neither metroid or DKC.

That's fine. I'm hoping it's either an Uncharted type of game, a WRPG or Star Tropics 3 modernized. As long as they do something new that's on a grander scale like Uncharted or a WRG I'll be happy.

Metroid Prime 4 is good too of course.

Eusis

My sources tell me that Retro is working on a Cranky Kong immersive sim. First person perspective, multiple ways to get through every level that are unlocked by your skill choices as you level up. There's also a crossover with Rabbids for some reason, Nintendo seems to be pushing it in all their upcoming games. 3DS exclusive.
Dammit, and I was hoping for Nintendo to have made a collaboration with Epic to make Jazz Jackrabbit Returns.

Phediuk

What was the last actual game soundtrack that Alexander Brandon composed?

My understanding is that post-90s he's more of a sound design than music guy.

After having given Metroid to Next level they are totally giving Luigi Mansion to Retro

I know this was done for a fast joke.
But i hope people remember that Next level were just workers without input in the federation force debacle, and that all the fault of that game is Kensuke Tanabe forcing Bryce Hollyday design the game no one wanted.
Is very telling when Hollyday has always done interviews of all the other Nintedno games he designed and it was just Tanabe this time.

giphy.gif

I'm gutted by this news unless it's 2d metroid.
If this is really true then nintendo needs to hand someone the task of a donkey kong returns and tropical freeze hd collection for switch.

Baleoce

I used to listen to his unreal tournament and deus ex music through a tracker player because the files loaded up on them. Looking at his list of credits, he's had quite an impact on me. Jazz Jackrabbit 2, both Vigilante 8 games which were awesome and had great music. Not played Tides of Numenera yet.

Really looking forward to whatever both he and retro are working on.

giphy.gif

I'm gutted by this news unless it's 2d metroid.
If this is really true then nintendo needs to hand someone the task of a donkey kong returns and tropical freeze hd collection for switch.

I don't think Retro would've needed to do it. Plus if what Miyamoto said is true and Retro is big enough to do multiple games they can still do a new game and a DKCR collection if they wanted.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
he's obviously writing music for the nighttime sessions where you can freely roam the t-shirt and golf clubs (available to buy with in-game coins) mall in Retro's next game, Donkey Kong Country's World Deluxe Supersport Tournament, play polo, golf and surfing up to 4 people in local multiplayer for great fun

TheMoon

That's probably the Bloodstained project they are supposed to be porting, maybe the switch version?

What? Retro has nothing to do with porting Bloodstained. You mixed up some weird headlines there.

Armature, founded by former Retro leads was/is porting Bloodstained. Also, they don't need a sound designer/composer for port work.

I'm starting to get a feeling we're getting a fully rebooted fresh start Metroid game from Retro. Everything that came before is out of the window.

jdstorm

Banned
Breath of the Wild and Metroid Prime are my two favorite games of all time. But people need to stop asking for this. Open world is antithetical to Metroid.

It really isn't Metroid design is essentially just gear gating an open world in interesting ways. FYI it is completely possible to have a claustrophobic open world.

Neiteio

This might be our first hint as to the nature of Retro's current project, insofar as it suggests something more mature. I mean, I'm sure this composer has range and could do something "lighter," but his pedigree would probably draw Nintendo's attention if they were looking for something darker.

If they're continuing one of their previous franchises, I suppose Metroid is looking more likely than DKC, although it could be a new IP altogether.

Waji

I'm 100% sure we won't get a DK from them, at least as this next game.
I just look at the Switch and Nintendo right now and I just don't see it happening.

I say new IP, or close enough.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
My sources tell me that Retro is working on a Cranky Kong immersive sim. First person perspective, multiple ways to get through every level that are unlocked by your skill choices as you level up. There's also a crossover with Rabbids for some reason, Nintendo seems to be pushing it in all their upcoming games. 3DS exclusive.

YEEEESSS!!!

Mupod

I had no idea he worked on Tyrian, UT, and Deus Ex until many years later but I loved the soundtracks in all of them.

Thinking about it, there aren't a lot of main menu themes I'd put above Metroid Prime, but he's responsible for a few.

Phazon

What? Retro has nothing to do with porting Bloodstained. You mixed up some weird headlines there.

Armature, founded by former Retro leads was/is porting Bloodstained. Also, they don't need a sound designer/composer for port work.

That 'From the makers of Metroid Prime' slogan at the Recore reveal really confused some people :p

Didn't Tanabe pretty much confirm Retro is not working on Metroid when he talked about Federation Force. He said he wants to do a Metroid game who follows the post credit scene from Prime 3 and hinted at another one in FF (which indeed happened). But he also said that Retro is busy with something else and that he doesn't have a team who can work on that at the moment. I am pretty sure they are working on a new IP and while I love Metroid, I am fine with that. A DKC game would have been finished by now imo.

sphinx

the piano man
the fact that someone uttered the words "Retro Studios" is hype-inducing.

that there speaks about the hermetism and secrecy of that dev team. I don't know how they do that,

they were done with DK:TP many years ago and no leaker has managed to get the smallest of hints after all those years.

they are going into a E3 reveal clean, with no pre-leaks, not even rumors. astounding for a western dev. in this day and age

Top Bottom