• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Isolation artwork leak

Dascu

Those screenshots are probably "target screenshots" whether it turns out anything like that remains to be seen..but I think there was an opportunity missed with this, they could have turned it into an RPG! Like the cancelled attempt of an alien RPG from years back...it could have been a deadspace/Mass effect clone... Trying a different genre for a change..its like the same treatment for the past 20 years! (Stretching back to the Jaguar days..)

I don't get the point behind an RPG for this franchise. Everything that is good about the films, is its minimalism. Not much story, not much dialogue, contained scale. Adding in RPG tropes such as stats, lots of characters, side-quests, etc. all seem to detract from this. And what would you need the stats/levelling up for? Level up your acid blood resistance? Come on, that'd just be ridiculous and likely detract from the atmosphere and immersion.

I'm not saying a scary horror RPG is impossible, but they are two styles of design that are very difficult to reconcile and I really doubt the Alien franchise is a good basis for such an endeavour.

I totally agree that one or two aliens in the whole game IS a great idea. I want that game.

However, the alien void doesn't NEED to be filled with combat against soldiers, like I could get in any other game. I really, really, hope the rumors about it aren't true, and that we can have a game focused on actual sci-fi horror, other than childish, "PEOPLE WILL GET BORED IF WE DON'T DO GUNS ALL THE TIME GUNS GUNS GUNS!"

They could take from Starbreeze games where there's a lot of adventure and exploration elements. Get the pacing right. Think you're safe looking for stuff, and then out of nowhere, chase or action segment that is still believable with the world like Dead Space 2.

Lime

HelUE.gif

This is amazing.

Sdoots

Just throwing this out there:

Randomly generated spaceship, one Alien. Goal is to get to the escape pod. You have no weapons on hand, but can use whatever you manage to find. The Alien stalks you, hides in the vents, that sort of stuff. If it catches you, you have to start again, in a new spaceship.

I realize this wouldn't sell at all, but I'd love this approach to a "Alien" game.

Didn't see that someone else had a similar idea earlier. My bad!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just throwing this out there:

Randomly generated spaceship, one Alien. Goal is to get to the escape pod. You have no weapons on hand, but can use whatever you manage to find. The Alien stalks you, hides in the vents, that sort of stuff. If it catches you, you have to start again, in a new spaceship.

I realize this wouldn't sell at all, but I'd love this approach to a "Alien" game.

An Alien game that takes game design cues from the likes of RE3: Nemesis would have the potential to be amazing.

right so the enemies you fight will be mostly soldiers or cyborgs.......
Mostly isn't a number guys

if theres a 1000 enemies in the game and 800 are soldiers/cyborgs thats mostly

if theres only 20 enemies in the game and 18 are soldiers or cyborgs then thats also mostly

for all we know this could be very dark lonly game set up with a plot like alien, somehow an alien get aboard or a crew member is infected, the alien picks off the crew, you decide to kill the alien, someone on the ship/station works for Wayland Yutani (1 bad guy) he has access to several cyborgs he can send at you to stop you killing the alien or slow you down until WY can send in troops to secure the prize...

you could be in a story driven objective based environment, with few enemies and weapons, with encounters with aliens you have to avoid, and when you have to fight its limited enemies due to supplies or what weapons you acquire at that point

right now jumping to the conclusion this is going to be COD in the aliens world is helping nothing

personally having a truely scary alien you can't win against throughout the game is cool

DieH@rd

Banned
My theory is that the only possible xenomorph before second movie that WY can get their hands on was blown out of the hatch into space by Ripley.

#1 So they found the place where Nostromo exploded and recovered EVERY debris of that ship, eventually locating frozen xenomorph. At the same time, before finding that nostromo even blew up they gather all the family members of the Nostromo crew to use them as bargaining chips in case of mutiny.

#2 Daughter of Ripley becomes obsessed with finding out the truth about her mothers death. She as an explorer or mercenary manages to find frozen xenomorph at the site of Nostromo's explosion and brings that "corpse" to the station. #2 is more likely than #1

Oh well, there could be hundreds of variations of this...

Top Bottom